Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Ridge on Skull Adult Male

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Ridge on Skull Adult Male

My boyfriend has a ridge on the top of his head, running from about 1.5-2 inches above his eyebrows to about the flat point that separates the "back" of your head from the "top".  

He did not notice it there until freshman year of college, and I don't think it has changed significantly since then (5 years).  His mother has no recollection of the ridge, so it wasn't congenital.  (He was very bald in all his baby photos - it definately wasn't there.)

Normally, that's his only symptom, but recently he's been lightheaded, with headaches and dizziness.  He says the ridge is starting to hurt, and it looked a little different.  It also looked red, but he'd been playing with it before I looked at it.  

I think the symptoms are due to building stress from his Master's work, and from poor diet.  However, he is worrying himself sick over it, so I thought I would get some medical opinion, at least so he can go back to concentrating on other things.

Should the appearance of such a ridge be concerning for an adult?  What could be causing it?  I tell him he should see a doctor for peace of mind, but he resists, which is partly because of the money.

Thanks!
Tags: skull, head, tender
I forgot to mention that he has had no spinal or cranial injuries.
I just wanted to post that I have almost exactly the same symptom.  I noticed it the other day when I was washing my hair and I have worried myself sick about it since.  My wife tells me that if it worries me I should go see a Doctor, but much like your boyfriend I am resistant to that idea.

The ridge in my skull starts almost directly on top of my head, maybe 1 or 2cm to the right and it goes towards the back and is about 2 or 3 inches long.  It is a little tender to the touch but the tenderness comes and goes.  I dont recall any trauma or injury to that area so I really have no idea what would be causing it.

An exhaustive search of the internet has turned up very little in the way or answers or even similar stories.

Maybe someone can offer an explanation?

Josh
I had a similar experience.  For about a year or two, my head persistently hurt whenever I laid it against something.  Sleeping was a painful experience at times.  Then I began noticing a ridge on the top of my head as is described in this thread.  I couldn't stop probing it, and it felt tender at times.  I secretly worried that it was due to my skull warping.

I didn't get it checked out by a doctor, but I no longer worry about it anymore.  To be frank, I think it's psychological.
Don't worry at all about the ridge.  It's actually quite a common thing.  The skull itself is made up of many plate-like bones that form the typical shape of the skull.  This "ridge" as it was put is just how the bones bonded during the early development of the skull.  It's absolutley nothing to worry about.  I shave my head and have a small ridge at the crest of my skull where the "back" of my head starts.  So, just to reitierate, don't worry about it.  As far as having any pain when laying down or anything, that's probably just a defficiency of some sort.  Try some calcium supplements, or see your doctor to find out if you have any other defficiencies.  Hope this helps and eases your minds.  I'm not a doctor, but I have studied the human body extensively.  I'm also in radiology classes at the moment, and we just finished going over common bone structures for purposes of understanding fractures.

Brandon
where the specific muscles  originate & insert on the bones  it is natural that ridges develope.  medical massage  work book( SIEG  /& ADAMS) MUSCULOSKKELETAL  ANATOMY  /  hope this may explain the ridges  in question.