Ripping sensation in calf muscle

For the past few months when i walk with any sort of pace i get a ripping sensation in my calf muscles in both legs.
if i walk at a slow pace its fine but if i am in a rush to get somewhere after a few mins it hurts like hell.

I am a little overwieght and have a few chest problems from smoking but over all my health isnt to bad.

Any ideas?

thanks
'Peripheral artery disease' from smoking is possible. Quit smoking. Walk or do another activity to the point of pain and alternate it with rest periods.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The commonest cause of pain in the calf is DVT or deep vein thrombosis and clots. This is best diagnosed by duplex ultrasound (color dopplar) or by angiogram. Pain can also be felt post unaccustomed exercise due to muscle strain. A ripping pain in calf muscles can also be due to intermittent claudication. The diseased and thrombosed arteries go in spasm while walking or exercising, due to increased blood demand, there is reduced oxygen in muscles, and hence pain. Pain in the calf area can also be due to pinched spinal nerves in the lumbo-sacral area or a pinched nerve at the knee joint. A nerve conduction study should be done. A MRI of the lumbar spine should also be able to throw some light. A deep vein thrombophlebitis or intermittent claudication (spontaneous spasm and relaxation of arteries) can also cause similar symptoms. Infection of skin called cellulitis could also be a cause. It can also be infection of lymphatics.
At times it is also due to low sodium, potassium, magnesium or calcium in the body. Hence serum levels of these electrolytes should also be checked. Dehydration is another frequent cause.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!