Running Side Pain
A few months ago I started experiencing sharp side pain, sometime a spasm underneath my right ribs while running. I've been a jogger/runner my whole life and this is a new development for me. (female- late 20s) At first I decided to take it easy and run less, but after a few weeks I wanted to get back into running more frequently. I was able to push through some of the pain with hydration, stretching and breathing techniques. However, it's been 9 months of this and I don't see much improvement. I've visited the doctor and she said it was likely just intercostal muscle cramps. I've been doing physical therapy, but the ache has persisted. A slight ache will even stay for up to 36 hours after running. Any ideas for causes and solutions?
It can be due to side stitches or muscle sprain. Side stitches on this side occurs due to friction caused by the movement of liver against the diaphragm. Coordination of breathing and stepping pattern while jogging may help.
If it is due to muscle sprain or strain, application of alternate warm and cold compresses and over the counter non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) like acetaminophen may be useful. Applcation of muscle relaxant on the part also helps.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for taking the time to write back! I'll definitely try the application of warm and cold compression and see if that helps. I think that strengthening my core muscles may also reduce the friction of organs and other muscles? However, I'm curious why you have suggested that I see a dermatologist.
Thanks again!