Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Salty Taste in Mouth - Burnt Tongue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Salty Taste in Mouth - Burnt Tongue?

So for the past few days to a week I have had a salty taste on my tongue and lips (though the lips taste is probably just from the tongue).  I think in the past I've noticed that this happened in conjunction with burning my tongue on something hot and I just passed it off as a result of burnt taste buds or a healing mouth.  

I've been drinking coffee recently every weekday morning and it is almost always scalding when I first drink it and I burn at least the tip of my tongue if not the rest of it too.  Also, I tend to shove food in my mouth even when it is lava hot, and pay the price for it later haha.

I've noticed that my tongue and roof of my mouth burn when I use listerine, presumably because they are raw from being burnt by hot food/coffee.  Can a burnt tongue cause odd tastes in your mouth?

I know that the logical answer is stop burning my tongue and let it heal, but just wanted to see what you all thought.
Please see my post to Denny regarding salty lips in the undiagnosed symptom category. Please let your mouth heal, burning it is not going to make it much better. Do you enjoy hot liquids and food? Perhaps finding the reason behind why you feel the need to eat food that is too hot or drinking liquids that are scalding your mouth would be a good start. Maybe a counselor or someone could help you figure out why you are doing this. I sure don't like burning my mouth, and have no desire to...and when it happens by accident most folks are very careful afterwards. I cannot tolerate pain well, so I avoid it at all costs. Please get the help you need, and use something like Biotene or a non alcoholic based mouthwash and sensitive mouth/gum toothpaste too so you don't irritate your poor mouth more. I still don't understand how people can even get tongue piercings, let alone stand mouth pain. Good luck to you.
Thanks for your response.  Yeah its not so much a desire to eat hot things or anything like that, so much as it is once food (or drinks) are in front of my face, my stomach takes control over my normally logical and intelligent brain and tells me to show the food or drink into my mouth as soon as possible haha.  What I think I've been consistently burning it on this week is coffee, as I drink coffee each morning in a travel mug on the way to work, and it is almost always scalding hot when I first take a sip, effectively burning the tip and top of my tongue.  I started today with letting it sit till it was luke warm, then drinking.  Doesn't taste the best, but better than killing my tongue!

I also think what happened was I had a late night "drunk food" moment saturday night with leftover chinese food, and being that I was drunk at the time, I believe I may have nuked it in the microwave and jammed it into my mouth while it was still 80 million degress, and just was too drunk to notice that it was singing my mouth.

So you would suggest a non-alcohol based mouth wash?  I THINK my mouth wash is alcohol based (it is the wal-mart brand of listerine advanced) as it burns the heck out of the hurt part of my tongue when I use it.  Perhaps best to get something non-alcohol based till it heals huh?

Anyways, so the salty taste can come from this though?  I think I have had this before after burning my mouth pretty bad, but never for this long, though I think it was the constant drinking of hot coffee that has kept it from healing.  I don't really have the white bumps that come from burning, but I do have at least one sore red bump (swollen taste bud maybe?) on my tongue.

Thanks for the response!
Absolutely be careful not to burn your mouth for awhile at least ;) Is your mouth every horribly dry or anything? I understand now better though thank you. Maybe not get drunk and eat hot food either. Spicey food is awesome, I have a had a habit of eating this in the   past and salt and vinegar chips. But, I crave salt abnormally, and this harms my mouth. Avoid anything that irritates your mouth. If it continues, definitely get it looked at. Viral problems and even autoimmune things can make ones mouth sore with various things going on. Do you have fissures in your tongue? Just another question popping into mind. My poor mother had those really bad and she had to get a special rinse from the doctor. Oh, they have stuff for dry mouth too. That may help. I need to get some, but I have been too lazy to bother. I hope your mouth feels better soon. Peace
Oh one more thing...some folks cannot eat citrus foods without problems or anything acidic. There are probably more acidic foods than I can think of but tomatoes, lemons, vinegar, and oranges come too mind. And of course tomato sauces ( I guess this is redundant). I love orange juice, but it gives me mouth sores. I think they even have a low acid kind nowadays but I am not sure. Well this was just another thought.
Yeah I think it is just a matter of not letting it heal.  I have noticed that there is one red bump on my tongue now (looks like a taste bud that may be just a slight bit inflamed or irritated, probalby due to being burnt) and it seems that when I touch that part of my tongue the taste is stronger.  It is also stronger on that side of the tongue/mouth in general, so I am thinking it has something to do with that little *******!  Maybe the salt taste is due to some secretions from the sore or temporary damage to the taste bud itself, not sure.  It seems to have improved a tiny bit today, and I will keep an eye on what I eat until it gets better.

I just have a bad habit of nuking my food and sucking it down before it cools down haha and inevitably the front part of my tongue (or the roof of my mouth) pays the price.  I am trying to keep this in check though.

I am also experiencing a great deal of stress and anxiety right now (reallllly busy at work and also just put an offer down on a home so that is going on) and I hear that stress and anxiety can cause stuff like this.  I have had some odd reactions to stress before so it wouldn't suprise me if that is aggrivating this.

Thanks for the help!  Maybe once things settle down at work and w/ the house thing it will go away or cool down a bit.