Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Salty mouth and skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Salty mouth and skin

Why does my mouth taste salty and area around mouth also salty. I also have swollen ankles in spite of two diuretics?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The commonest reason for a salty taste in mouth is due to dehydration. In your case it could be diuretic induced. Drink water and see. The next most common cause is acidity with GERD or gastric reflux. Blood from stomach can cause a salty taste in the reflux. Sjogren’s syndrome causes dryness of mouth and salty taste. Post nasal drainage as seen in allergies and sinusitis is another cause.
Using a CPAP machine can also cause salty taste as it causes dryness of the mouth. Ask for some adjustment in the machine to overcome this, if you use one. Endocrine disorders, anti thyroid medicines and chemotherapy drugs also cause a salty taste in mouth.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis.
Take care!
it could mean your dehydrated
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Take care!