Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sandy grains on scalp/intense itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sandy grains on scalp/intense itching

I found this website through a google for "sand on scalp", and I found a journal entry from someone here at http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/12858/scalp-condition that I wanted to draw attention to on this forum.  Everyone on that journal suffers form the same issue I do.

For the past two years, I have what feel and appear to be like grains of sand on my scalp.  They seem to be "attached" to the base of the hair shafts, but when I massage my scalp gently with my fingertips, they come off.  My scalp has 100s of them.  If I scratch my head, the itching sensation is INTENSE, and I try never to scratch my scalp.  If I do give in, and scrape a few dozen of them off, I can get them out form under my fingernails (gross, I know), and they look like grains of sugar or sand.  They are hard like grains of sand.  You can not "squish" them.  

They are not lice...my husband is an RN, and he has looked at my scalp many times, and we are certain of this.  The dermatologists I have seen also tell me they are not lice, but seem to be unconcerned, and give me no suggestions of how to stop them or the itching, except to use dandruff shampoo - which does absolutely nothing.

You can see more details of exactly what all of us (over 70 posts at that link) are going through - very similar to exact same stories.  They are not flake-like at all.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.  We are all looking for answers to this mystery, and would love to hear some new ideas.  So far, suggestions have been Morgellons disease, White piedra, Demodex folliculorum, and the one I lean towards: seborrheic dermatitis.  However, not being FLAKES seems to rule the last one out!?  Help?

(sorry, for the repost, I posted this in dermatology, and then figured undiagnosed symptoms was a better fit)
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If you have increased sweating, then these sand particles could be salt crystals left behind by sweat evaporation. Sweat dermatitis too can cause intense itching. It can also be calcium deposits due to calcium metabolism problems, kidney problems, thyroid or parathyroid gland problems or due to Vit D problems. Also if the hair is in resting phase called Telogen, there is a hard white solid particle at its base. It can also be due to dandruff. Seborrheic dermatitis (dried sebum), acne necrotica, eczema, psoriasis, lichen planus and fungal infection are the other possibilities.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by another opinion from a skin specialist. Take care!
Hmm, those are some interesting things I have not thought of!  Especially the sweat crystals, as they are hard and very like salt - but I have not tasted them!  They definately look and feel crystaline and granular.

I do have Hashimoto's Thyroditis.  Thanks for the input.  I am seing my GP in Jan, and I will update the thread here because I know so many others here have the same unanswered questions (like the 70 ppl who posted on that original journal entry).

Hope to find an answer soon!
thank you for the comments regarding the itchy scalp!! Iwas readyto fire my stylist of 10 years thinking she was using sheabutter products on my scalp!! I know I can't use sheabutter due to an allergic reaction from a bodywash,however my scalp is driving me crazy!! I can run my fingers over my scalp and get some "crystal looking substance that i am able to crunch. I know i am  post menopausal and had felt that this was related to that! I plan to talk with my doctor asap! I have no hair loss but OMG the itching can be embarassing!!
Ty sooo much for posting this. N ty to Doctornee for replying. I have been finding grains on my scalp for a good 3 yrs now. Two yrs ago I was told I have a blood disorder. Finally now after all the hoops of the carousal's I finally have charity at the right clinic. So hopefully the 27th i'll find that out. I also have sporadic kidney stones. So I already thought calcium deposits. But after seeing doctornee's post it made even more sense. I will wash hair, scalp fine. Next day I start finding... I have HORRIBLE night sweats (sweat evaporation) or due to autoimmune disease. Ty again so much for both posts :)