Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Scab that will not go away after years

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Scab that will not go away after years

I have a scab on my ankle that has been there since I was 12... I am now 26.
I had a mosquito - or some bug bite, on my ankle, when I was younger. Having always had sensitive skin I am sure the itch drove me crazy and I itched it and picked the scab a lot. I was learning to shave at the time, so I would always nick this spot over and over, never allowing it to properly heal. Every year I would just expect a scar, or for the damn thing to go away eventually, but it never has, and infact - it still gets itchy from time to time. Very frequently, and often I will scratch it against my sheets while I am sleeping, opening it up again. It never heals fully, even if I leave it alone and keep it covered. I want this thing gone so bad and I have been told its not cancerous and its 'just scar tissue' but its driving me crazy.
Does anyone have some advice or feedback?

This discussion is related to Wound that won't heal.
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The scab is not healing because of repeated picking. This alone is a cause for the portion not healing. It can also result in a cancer like condition. Also please get your blood sugar levels checked to know if high sugar is the cause for not healing. You have to leave the scab as it is. If at night the sheets only take it off, then apply a light dry cotton bandage at night. During the day keep it covered by a cotton sock that allows air to go through.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
A related discussion, Chronic wound that I've had for four years? was started.