Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Scary nosebleeds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Scary nosebleeds

My husband has had nosebleeds all his life.  He's become an expert at the nose pinch and knows all the proper ways to handle a nosebleed.  But, nothing works.  When he gets nosebleeds, he can bleed for a few minutes to an hour.  They seem to get worse as he gets older.  

I remember the first night we were living in Montana, he got "the worst one yet" in the motel room.  We assumed it was the drier climate getting to him.  My mother got chapped skin because of the dryness.  So, that explanation wasn't too far fetched.  He had another doozey a few years later.  I rushed home from work to take him to the hospital, but when I walked in the house, the bleeding stopped.  He had been bleeding for an hour.  I got fired for leaving work, but I was actually afraid for my husband.  It was about an hour's drive to the nearest hospital.  Now, we live in the city, so that long drive is not an issue anymore.  

Well, last night he had another one.  This one topped any bleed he's ever had.  This time he bled for about 4 hours.  I wanted to take him to the emergency room, but everytime it put him on the floor, the low blood pressure would slow the bleeding to a manageable level and the he wouldn't want to go.  

So, here's the question:  We know that he's not bleeding from the vein in his nose because the pressure point does nothing but give him a purple-bruised nose.  Where is all that blood coming from?!  And, what would trigger it?  The worst bleed ever in a moist coastal environment doesn't make sense.  What can be causing this?  How do you treat something like this?  

There are many things that can trigger nosebleeds, including several medications and/or nasal polyps, allergies, dry nasal passages, etc. IMO, your husband should see a physician to rule out bleeding disorders and/or other possible conditions.
Was his nose ever cauterized for the nose bleeds.  Did he ever go for MRI/CT Scan bloodwork to rule anything out if not try and get him to go to the doctors.  Just to let you know my dad was having freguent nose bleeds and he needed is nose cauterized several times before it finally worked, but is was definelty a problem with the nose.
Thank you for your ideas!  I appreciate the input.  He does not have allergies or polyps or any of that nasal/sinus unpleasantness.  That's been my department!  :-P  He has asked people about cauterizing who have had it done.  They have told him that it only lasts about a year and then you have to get it done again.  Since he only gets them about once a year, that would be silly.  ...Unless he's been given bum info. of course.  I don't think he's ever had an MRI or CT scan.  What do you think that might reveal?  Do you think there might be a structural issue?  
Well the cauterize cant hurt and just because someone else needs it done more often doesnt mean he will, My dad finally stopped the nose bleeds with the few cauterzaitons he had.  Well an MRI/CT SCan might show if there is some type of problem in the nasal area causing this.
Osler weber Rendu. My uncle had it and bled like crazy. He put a cup under his nose and let it bleed for hours. Have him checked and look it up online. He sounds just like my family. I always say this with nose bleed questions, but it is usually overlooked and is almost fixable. And with severe, recurrent nosebleeds, it needs to be checked.