Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Searing Burning Thigh pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Searing Burning Thigh pain

I have sharp pain behind my right knee that permeates a searing burning pain up the back of my thigh.  When sitting on a furniture, leaning my leg toward the left causes the pain behind the knee to increase.  If I am sitting or laying and my legs are flat, when I bend my right leg  while still flat (foot against my left left), the pain behind my knee intensifies and my leg feels weak.

If my thigh is touched or if something cold (like an xray film) touches the back of my thigh the burning is unbearable.  Sometimes the pain spreads to my pelvic area and the calf of my leg.

At times my leg feels as if it is not going to support me.  I have not injured fallen or bumped my leg.  Each time I have went to the doc they suggest I see an Ortho who tells me it isn't skeletal and that 's it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for writing in this forum.
From the symptoms that you have mentioned,it looks like sciatica. Sciatica is a set of symptoms including pain that may be caused by general compression and/or irritation of the sciatic nerve. The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, and/or various parts of the leg and foot. In addition to pain, which is sometimes severe, there may be numbness, muscular weakness, and difficulty in moving or controlling the leg.A MRI back or MR neurography will help in diagnosis.

You can take OTC pain killers like brufen,do some stretching exercises and yoga and maintain a correct upright posture while sitting.Severe cases may require surgery.

I sincerely advise you to consult a neurologist and discuss this possibility with him.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Thank you for the input.  I will contact my doc and request to see a neurologist
If the searing pain is on the front part of your leg almost on the surface or just below. Do the same suggestions above apply? This is deffinately an odd sensation and its at least a qtr inch deep besides just surface but seems to be localized right above my knee. (No knee involvement)  Any thoughts?

John