Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sever chest pain, pain behind left eye, temporary vision loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am a 24 year old female. Over the past 3 weeks, I have been experiencing severe pain on the left side of my chest. I have not injured myself in any way that I am aware of. I had gone to a walk in clinic about the pain, and the doctor sent me straight to ER. From there, I had an ultrasound, EKG, multiple blood tests and a chest x-ray taken. I was told that I am physically healthy. The cause for the pain is unknown. I was put on an Aspirin therapy.

About two days after I had gone to the ER, I've started to develop headaches and severe, stabbing pain behind my left eye. Sometimes, I can't see out of my left eye for several minutes. This worries me, as the chest pain is also still there nearly 3 weeks after I had been examined.

Some of the symptoms I'm experiencing include:

Severe chest pain which is worsened when breathing, shortness of breath, weakness, tachycardia, difficulty breathing, headaches (Mostly on the left side), pain along the left shoulder/neck, pain behind left eye, lethargy, anxiety, and within the past week I have developed a minor cough.

All of my tests came back clear. My heart and lungs looked fine. I'm at a loss.
Was the ultrasound an echocardiogram of your heart to check for valve problems?  Why did they put you on aspirin therapy when they found no evidence of a heart problem- did they suspect TIA (mini-stroke) or just prescribe it for pain or was it because they did not do enough testing to be sure it wasn't your heart?  

How did they know your chest pain wasn't being caused by esophageal spasms, which aspirin would likely aggravate instead of helping?

Also, with severe chest pain worsened when breathing- consider costochondritis, which can include chest pain, pain when taking a deep breath, and difficulty breathing according to Mayo clinic's website.  I recently was diagnosed with this with pain on the right side (and had it for awhile), but it often hits on the left side and can be extremely painful.  I was told cyclic ibuprofen was the treatment.  You might check with a doctor about this.  But if you have an esophageal issue in addition, you'd want to ask the doc about medication to help protect it while you are treating the costochondritis if you get diagnosed with this.

Did they test to see if your potassium was too high?  Did they check your blood iron, ferritin and TIBC (total iron binding capacity) level, not just a CBC?  Low blood iron can cause tachycardia & lack of energy, even w/a normal CBC.  Severe iron deficiency anemia can even cause chest pain and headache.  

Your loss of vision in one eye and headaches suggest a brain scan should be done to check for/rule out tumor, cyst, blood vessel abnormalities and the like.  You might also get thyroid function testing if you haven't recently.
Or perhaps the ultrasound was a doppler of your carotid arteries?  And did they suspect inflammation re: aspirin?
Wow, so many questions! Haha.

I really have no idea what the ultrasound was taken of. I wasn't given any information about it. All I know, is that it was taken near my diaphragm, if that is of any help.

The reason he put me on testing is because he wasn't 100% sure if it was a case of a Pulmonary Embolism. He thought that it may have been a blood clot and if they pain persisted, I would have to come back in two weeks. Lack of testing is definitely an issue with this, especially when they think that a blood clot may be the cause.

As for the blood tests... I really don't know what they checked for, other than an infection. I wasn't informed of any of this, and whenever I had asked, the doctor or nurse would change the subject.

The headaches/eye pain is getting worse. The Aspirin is not helping at all.

I'm sorry that I can't answer more of your questions. I was given such a small amount of information, this is all I have.

I plan on going to another hospital this week. Hopefully I will get more answers from them.
Near your diaphragm- could have been echocardiogram or abdominal ultrasound then?  May I offer a suggestion?  go to the hospital where the tests were run and find out where there medical records department is.  You might want to call ahead to see what medical records hours are where they are open to the public & tell them you pan to come get a copy of your records to take to another doctor for a second opinion.  Get copies of the records of EVERYTHING they did to peruse yourself and to take to that different hospital!  Unfortunately, doctors and nurses are often pressed for time, but they should have taken time to answer your questions.  Maybe you could private message me what the next hospital has to say!  I'd be interested to find out!