Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Severe Abdominal pain, right side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Severe Abdominal pain, right side

I get severe cramping and sharp pain in my right side about level with my belly button. Sometimes I can feel it in my back in the same area, too. It is sometimes so bad, I cannot sit, but have to kind of half sit and lie at the same time. It starts about a half hour to an hour after I eat. I had gastric bypass December of 2004 and a Colon Resection June of 2005. I do not eat any of the foods I was told to stay away from after the resection. This has been three days in a row now. First day I ate maybe three tablespoons of macaroni salad and a half a hot dog, second day I had a little potato and a piece of chicken, third time, a grilled cheese sandwich. None of them are foods I was told to stay away from. The pain subsides in about 1 to 3 hours, but comes back worse each time. Oh, and the pain is similar to pain that I had back in January, and they took my right ovary out, so it can't be that this time. The pain is VERY sharp at times, too.
1 Comment

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Post any abdominal surgery possibility of adhesions remains, and this can cause varying degrees of pain. Other than this, it can be a pain due to appendicitis, peri-umbilical hernia, gas, acidity, colitis, or due to IBS.
You need to consult the surgeon or a gastroenterologist to know what could be the cause. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. See if this helps.
Take care!