Severe Itching after Ankle surgery
I had ankle surgery 1 1/2 ago on my right ankle (broke in three places).  I had to have screws and bolts put in on the right side.  Now my ankle always swollen and doctors tell me this happens sometimes after ankle surgery.  But every 6 months or so I get severe itching only on the right ankle area and cannot stop scratching.  Doctors do not know why and have done a CT scan and some other misc tests but nothing can tell us why this is happening.  I am taking Benadryl and Claritin but they do not seem to help.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shelby45

Allergic reaction to bolts and screws used in internal fixation(surgery) of ankles are very uncommon.If it occurs,it can be to the material used in bolts and screws or to the anesthesia or medicines used during or after surgery or even rejection of the body to the prosthetic joint and formation of antibodies to the joint.

You can get yourself tested for allergy by an allergist. Skin ***** tests or patch test can be tried.In this a small amount  of allergen is introduced or touched in the skin of the forearm.Then a positive reaction consisting a red erythematous patch is noted.If it develops,then that person is allergic to the allergen being tested.

Confirmatory diagnosis is by blood tests like RAST.

Pls keep on taking antihistaminics like benadryl or Claritin. Also apply some Corticosteroids, such as hydrocortisone cream on the itchy areas. A well-balanced diet that includes carbohydrates, fats, minerals, proteins, vitamins, and liquids will help to maintain skin health.Severe cases may require oral corticosteroids or immunotherapy.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

A related discussion, Extreme itching after ankle surgery with pins was started.
I too, am experiencing the problems you are having with extreme itching of my ankle post surgery (4 years).  I also experience swelling on a daily basis.  I was wondering if you had found out if you were experiencing an allergic reaction to the bolts and screws used to repair the damages you sustained?