Severe Sunburned legs
Help!
I was exposed to the sun at the beach for a period of about 6 hours and now my legs are severly sunburned. They are bright red and my calfs are really hard,  my ankles started to swell up and it hurts to walk. The touch of my clothes burns my legs. When I walk it feels like my skin is ripping apart with every step. Is there anything other than aftersun sprays and aloe vera lotions i can use? Please help, I cannot stay in bed waitting for the pain to go away I still have to work and take care of my two daughters.
Chely
I've had many severe sunburns in the past, you have my sympathy, I know how painful they are.  One time I was so burnt, I called the Ask a Nurse line and she told me to soak in the bathtub with one cup baking soda mixed with lukewarm water.  I sat and soaked for about an hour. My sunburn healed alot quicker than it normally would have.  It still hurt alot but went away faster.
Hi Chely,

There are a few things that may help you. You may use cold water or ice towel as needed. You may also use some pain killers for the pain. Further, you doctor may prescribe a Steroid cream for application as also some oral steroids for decreasing the inflammation. You may continue to avoid sunlight. Also, wear hats, long sleeves, and use sunscreen (against UVA and UVB) when in sunlight. Sunscreen at least with SPF >15.

Hope this helped and let me know if you may need any more help.

Best regards

My kids just had really bad sunburn I left them home with dad while I was away for a weekend with my mother (my baby brother graduated college!!)  and I used dermoplast for the pain (numbs for short periods of time) and some aloe 2 of them liked it right out of the fridge and the other two room temp.  Just depends on the person I like room temp.  Good luck!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.