Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Severe head pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Severe head pressure

On day, I had a strong dizzy spell followed by what I thought was a typical migraine.  Now, for the past 4 months, I have had severe throbbing in the left temple area that mimics migraines, along with pressure building in the center back of my head.  If I lay flat on the back of my head, the pressure immediately builds around my left temple.  pressure gets so great it causes me to have dizzy spells that knock me to my knees.  CT scan of brain and sinuses, MRI and MRA all negative.  Tried Prednisone, Z-pack, Augmentin 875, Midrin, Ibuprofen, Butalbital, Nortriptolyne, steroid and Lidocaine-Steroid shot, and nothing helps.  I have been checked for temporal arteritis, sinusitis, and TMJ.  I am now being told it's just chronic daily headaches and to keep trying different meds.  Would chronic daily headaches actually cause a tender spot in the back of head that radiates pressure build-up?  What else could be the cause of this?
1 Comment
Welcome to the forum!
There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. This can cause a tender spot at the back of head that appears to the pressure radiating point. A MRI of the cervical spine may be required.
The other possibility is ‘benign intracranial hypertension’  (BIH). This happens due to impaired CSF absorption. A generalized throbbing headache worst felt in the morning and last thing at night. This headache is generally relieved on standing (consistent with raised intracranial pressure). It is aggravated by straining, coughing or a change in position.
Please consult a neurologist. Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!