Severe headache, fever, off and on for 4 days...husband, too...
I have had a severe headache off and on now, along with a low grade fever (also off and on) for about 4 days now. It first started with my husband, who's now had the headaches since last Wed. We went to the doctor and he just said it was a virus. This is my first day out of bed since Sunday night and I'm back at work, but I have to go home. The pain is unbarable. Any ideas? What kind of virus would cause this? I was totally afraid we had West Nile, because we've got a lot of mosquitos around our house, but the Dr said we'd have a much higher fever...HELP!
The first viral infection that I thought of based on your symptoms is viral menangitis.  It is very common, and this is actually the season for it.  Severe headache is the major symptom, because it causes swelling--
One tell-tale sign is your neck...can you bend your head down and touch your chin to your chest without pain?  Can you look effortlessly from side to side without pain?  If you can't do these things, call your doc.  VM is contagious, and you need to be cautious not to do too many activities that are strenuous.  It does go away on its own, but you should be checked by a doc to make sure its not bacterial.  

Additionally, your everyday, run of the mill virus/flu can cause symptoms like you have, as well.