Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sharp jabbing pain in ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sharp jabbing pain in ribs

Why have my ribs been hurting for like a month now??? It's like a sharp pain that fades in and out. Though right bow it feels like there is something jabbed in-between my ribs and 2 weeks ago my left hip hurt the same aswell and since the rib pain has started I sometimes get a sharp sucking pain under my left breast. The rib pain is mostly on the left and it started about a month and half ago then stoped for a few weeks and came back after one night when I felt like something was eating away at my stomach. The pain was sharp and it aswell faded in and out and everytime the pain cam I felt light headed. I did faint a Fay or 2 befor in the bath as well aster standing up to fast.
Usualy the rib pain only stay for a minute or 2 but riight now it is constant and has been for like 20-30mintures! What is this??? Could it be connected to me loseing 16 pounds in 6 months???
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
First possibility is costochondritis costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way.
Pleuritis and Pulmonary embolism are other possibilities causing shortness of breath with chest pain. A CT scan of the chest can rule out both. Another possibility that can explain the pain is pericarditis. It causes chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning and deep breathing and also causes radiation of pain to arms. Again an EKG, heat echo and chest X-ray is required. Of these pleuritis, pulmonary embolism (especially this) and pericarditis cause breathlessness as well.
Second possibility is a gut related thing like acidity with gastric reflux or even hiatal hernia. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) if these tips help you.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your doctor. Take care!
Thank you I told my mum a couple times about my ribs hurting but she doesn't say anything so I don't know how to get to the doctor. I've notice it hurts more about an hour or so after eating. And yes the first time I got the pain was after yawning sneezing or taking a deep breath and threw out that day everytime I took a deep breath it Hirt and I remember being out of breath butthat was a month or so ago then a week or so ago it started up again bit not with deep breaths this lasted a week or so then it wet away for 2 day then came back after I did a drumming thing on my chest 2 days ago but it's my ribs that hurt the most not my chest. Ribs hurts the most chest hurts often and left hip a little really only hurt the first day.
I knotest earlier while using the washroom and doing a number two made my ribs hurt more I don think the belt I wore today helped my ribs very much either.
Every once in a while( 2-3 x/week) i get a sharp stabbing pain in between my two bottom ribs on my left side. The pain can be so intense it drops me where i stand, but only lasts less than 10 secs. What could this be??
I am having very bad chest pains in the center down my chest to my stomach. I am also feelinh this pain in a constant on my back in same spot I have trouble breathing when I wake up. This pain only really happena in the morning and slowly dies down over the day except the back pain plx help me