Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sharp pain in the right side of neck.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sharp pain in the right side of neck.

I have suffered with intermittent sharp stabbing pain in the right side of my neck for about four years. I first experienced the pain four years ago whilst I sat relaxing watching TV, it was a single pain that went away as quickly as it came. I had no further pain for several months then it struck again under similar circumstances.   Over the following months the pains gradually became more frequent and occurred under different situations. I could get a pain sitting down, standing up or bending forwards, also, I became unable to sleep on my right side because doing so would generate a pain after about 5 to 10 minutes in that position.
The pains became sharper and although the actual pains were brief in duration, they would occur intermittently for several weeks at a time before gradually diminishing in intensity and frequency and then stopping. However, even during a period without pains I could always generate one if I attempted to sleep on my right side for any length of time.
Does anyone know what could cause these pains? or know of a cure.
There are various possibilities in my mind.First and foremost,cervical spondylosis can be a cause. Cervical spondylosis is a degenerative disorder of the neck bones.  This disorder is caused by abnormal wear of the neck bone cartilage. Improper sitting position, prolonged sitting in a position that can stress the cervical region and spine and injury to neck are the causes of spondolysis.Diagnosed by physical examination and X-ray or CT neck.Treatment is by Non steroidal anti inflammatory painkillers,cervical braces ,neck traction and sometimes cortisone injections.
Other causes may be esophagitis or esophageal spasms,compression of the nerves be a buldging cervical disc or underlying lung pathology.My advise is to consult a physician and discuss these possibilities with him.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.
Many thanks for your quick reply. It is interesting that you mention Oesophagitis as a possible cause of my neck pains because I did have it for a short period about 18 months ago.
Four months ago I realized that the things that caused my neck pains were very similar to those that brought on my Oesophagitis.
I discussed my thoughts with my Doctor who arranged for me to have a Gastroscopy, however, everything was found to be normal. I wonder though about your comment on Oesophageal Spasms and how that possibility could be investigated? Are you aware of any tests that might help to diagnose that condition?
I shall certainly discuss your suggestions with my Doctor. Regards.

Esophageal spasms are irregular contractions of the muscles in the esophagus, the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach. So food  does not move effectively to the stomach.Characterised by pain in the chest which may spread to the neck, jaw, arms, or back.Sometimes there is no chest pain and only reffered pain to these areas.

Diagnosis is by esophageal manometry and esophageogram.

Treatment is by sublingual nitroglycerin and calcium channel blockers.

As I have mentioned earlier,the main possibility in your case is cervical spondolysis.The rest of the possibilities have to be ruled out.Pls get yourself evaluated for cervical spondolysis if not done before.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.