Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sharp pain near right shoulder blade worsens while laying on my right s...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sharp pain near right shoulder blade worsens while laying on my right side

For about 2 weeks now I have had this unusually never before felt pain in my back right around the shoulder blade area. It kind of feels like my back need to be popped in that particular area, like if there is air trapped there. When I breathe in deeply while sitting up, it does not hurt that bad, but while laying on my right side it is very painful to breathe. To bend over and reach for something with my right arm is also painfull, what in the world can this be???
It sounds similar to the pain I had when I was having gall stones. I hope you find out what is wrong.
Thanks for writing to the forum!

If there is burning sensation or pain in right shoulder region, it means that the right diaphragm is being irritated. Burning in upper stomach usually due to acidity, GERD or reflux disease or hiatal hernia can all cause right diaphragm irritation. Heavy meals or acidity that cause distension of the duodenum or any cause for distension of the small intestine can cause referred pain/burning to shoulder. In your case it could be acidity. Generally diaphragmatic irritation can lead to frequent hiccups or even burps. Liver and gall bladder problems too can irritate the right diaphragm.
Alternatively it could be a pain in the shoulder joint itself.
You would need an ultrasound of the upper abdomen and other tests to know what is wrong.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Well about 2 1/2 month ago i had my gallbladder removed so i know its not that. It does not burn and is not heartburn, I know what that is, i had it all 3 pregnancys lol. This feels more like air being stuck and when i breathe in deeply it hurts and sometimes i feel it around my neck area and my right armpit area.
Thanks for keeping me posted!
The pain as you describe it is very difficult to pinpoint without examination. Two possibilities come to my mind. One is that it is a pain originating in the shoulder like bursitis. The second is impingement of nerves in the cervical region. Please consult an orthopedic specialist.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!