Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sharp pain under right side of ribs
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sharp pain under right side of ribs

About three years ago I began to have a sharp (sometimes dull) pain on the right side of my abdomen, just under the lowest rib.  I also had terrible acid reflux.  I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with GERD and "possibly a mild whaet allergy" however, in the report the doctor sent to my GP, he claimed my "state of mind" was to blame.  I have no idea what that means, since there was never a discussion of such a thing and, unless I'm a total kook, I didn't display any symptoms of mental instability.  I was certainly not making it up; I had even gone to the ER for this pain.  There, they did a sonogram on my abdomen and when the nurse rolled over the site of my pain, I squealed, asking, "what organ are you over now?"  She replied that it was my kidney.  Now, the previous year, I had had a formidable kidney infection that landed me in the hospital for four days and yes, the site of my new pain was similar to the side pain I had during the kidney infection.  Still, the ER claimed nothing was wrong and sent me home with Vicodin for the pain.  I noticed that when I pressed on the affected area, the pain subsided and I could feel a gurgling through what I guess is my stomach or upper intestine.  The pain would then come and go and, finally went for a while.  Then about a year ago it returned and I have it daily now.  Not a day has gone by in the last six months without this pain, no matter how I change my diet.  I think it is digestive because when I press on the painful area, it's like I can almost move whatever's in there forward in the digestive process.  Yet, the pain never really goes away.  At night, I can't sleep on my right side because the pain is so bad.  I haven't been to the doctor since the endoscopy because I assume they don't know what's wrong, but I'm getting worried because it's now become permanent.  The only medicine I take is Adderral.  I know it's a terrible medicine and I hate how it makes me feel (fast heart rate, difficulty breathing, ticks) but the pressure's on to perform and college is not the time to break and find your own way to overcome concentration problems.  Really, though, everyone else drinks cup after cup of coffee-- what's the difference? And I can't drink coffee because it makes me feel SO sick-- headaches, nausea, dizziness for days after I drink it.  Tea is fine but doesn't work after a few weeks, and green tea is too strong.