Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Shingles

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Shingles

15 months ago I had a case of shingles. Not severe. I did have a small rash over my right knee. The rash went away in a few weeks. However it did weaken my knee. about 6 months ago I noticed that it would make a "cracking" noise whenever I would bend down to play on the floor with my children/dog. It still does. I have noticed that my knee is starting to bother me more. I still have range of motion. It seems like it manifested in my knee.
I just would like to restore my knee to what it was before the shingles virus. I have been hoping that it would run its course and all would be fine, but it is not. It still is in my knee. Not the bones, but in the tissue of it, in the front, right under my kneecap, and then straight in, deep.
I did have chicken pox as a child. I am 57 years old, male. I am an ex athlete. I do not work out at this time. I did wrestle in high school and I boxed for a few years. None of that activity (roadwork) ever bothered me. What do you recommend? I am serious about trying to do the right thing now before it may get worse, possibly irreparably.
Thank you,
Drew
  • shingles (1 replies):
    When I was 35, and just after my third c-section baby, ...[more]
  • shingles? (4 replies):
    I think I have shingles, at the top of my legs by the gr...[more]
  • Shingles (1 replies):
    Hi everyone, I have been suffering from shingles for...[more]
  • Post shingles rash (2 replies):
    Five months ago I had a severe case of shingles on my up...[more]
  • shingles (2 replies):
    I was reading about the 95 year old who had severe pain ...[more]
I would see an orthopedist.  I am not aware of shingles specifically leading to joint pain, so another process needs to be excluded.

Imaging the knee with an x-ray, and then perhaps an MRI, can be considered to evaluate the underlying structure.

The orthopedist would evaluate the need for surgery, or more conservative therapy like physical therapy.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
www.twitter.com/kevinmd