Shooting Spinal Pain/Headaches/ shingles?
My mom has been complaining for weeks of pain and sickness. It started with these horrible headaches where she has literally felt as though her head was going to burst. Soon a back/spinal pain developed that she described as "shooting" and "electrifying". This pain made is so hard for her to sleep and she would lay on her back as still as possible trying to take the slowest breaths but there was still so much pain. One weekend she was also throwing up in pain as well. She finally saw a doctor and they discovered a lump on the back of her head, she had that checked out further-however they told her it is nothing to worry about, just an inflamed lymph node(I believe, could be wrong on the terminology). A few weeks later a customer came into her bank and told my mom he had just gotten over shingles, and how they had caused him shooting pains in his body. So this of course made her believe this is what she had, just WITHOUT the rash. She saw a doctor and he prescribed her medication for shingles. She has yet to feel better and I'm beginning to think it's not shingles. What do you think? Should we just give it more time with medication? It's almost been 2 weeks.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
In all probability your mother has spinal nerve compression in the neck or cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively your mother can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which she can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
Take care!