Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Shooting pain and weakness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Shooting pain and weakness

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this....I'm a 30 year old mother of two and overall a healthy person...at least I was...I've had two back surgeries for a ruptured L5 S 1 disc, but in between surgeries recover enough to run half marathons with no pain or back issues.  About 5 months ago I started having nerve pain in my leg, I assumed it was the same disc as the pain felt exactly as it did with a compressed nerve. Called for an appointment with my dr, by the time I went in three days later I was having nerve pain running down my arm as well as weakness on my entire left side....inability to even hold a cup my grip was so weak. I had decreased reflexes when the dr checked.   He was certain it was a disc, and said probably a cervical disc as well.   I had an MRI and not only were my discs fine but the one they had previously operated on was better than ever.

I went back to the dr and he mentioned possible MS. Autoimmune diseases run strongly through my moms side, many relatives with RA, and my grandma passed away from complications of MS.  But the MRI again was clear.  By this point I had a muscle spasm in my back that wouldn't let up but some of the weakness and reflexes were improving.  Dr went back to thinking it was a back problem and sent me for an EMG of my leg, the results were normal...got in with the neurosurgeon who did my disc surgeries and he said it was the muscle spasm causing the nerve compression...put me on zanaflex and gabapentin and prescribed PT.  I felt better within a few weeks.

Now five months later its happening again, except its my left side, a week ago my entire left arm and leg cramped so badly I couldn't move, the leg and arm pain is definitely nerve pain and does respond to gabapentin that I had leftover from last time. But I'm having numbness from side of my face down to my toes. And starting to get pain in both hands and feet and the spasms in my neck and back are starting again too.  Could this really all just be my bad back throwing everything off? I don't want to go have a bunch more tests and throw away hundreds of dollars if this really all could be nothing.  I feel like my doctor has just written it off to that...I just don't understand how a disc in my lower back that an MRI shows is better is causing nerve pain and spasms in the rest of my body.    Oh and I had an episode the other night where I was slurring my words so badly my husband couldn't understand me. But it only happened once and stopped by the next morning.   Please help...I don't know where to turn or even if or what I should push for.   The dr is a long time family friend so I don't really feel like I can switch.  I'm scared I'm not going to be able to be a good mom to my girls if I have to live with these episodes for the rest of my life :(
With your slurry speech and numbness down one side of your body, have your considered that you may have had a stroke?

Make an appointment with your doctor and tell him all the symptoms that you have had.  May be worth taking your husband along to the doctor with you.

Best wishes.
Thank you so much for your response.  I hadn't considered a stroke. Taking my husband is probably a good idea.  I'm not very good at pushing for anything.  
Hope you find the cause of your problem and get on OK.

Best wishes.