Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Shortness of Breath - 26 y.o. female

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Shortness of Breath - 26 y.o. female

I am a 26 y.o. female, 120 lbs, 5'6" and very active. Recently I have been experiencing shortness of breath.  There are no specific times or situations - for instance, just now I experienced it while watching t.v. around 11pm at night.  My anxiety/stress level is moderate - nothing crazy or super overwhelming, but some typical stressors (work, money, the economy).  I have no history of asthma, and have never had any major health conditions.  I am a non-smoker of all types, and have approx. 1 glass of wine every 2-3 months.  
there are seval things that can cause this.  have you ha heart checked for murmurs.  it might we really wise to go see your doctor and have them do a stress test on you.    god be with you mandy876ndy
I do this all the time, and it took me awhile to figure it out.  I hold my breath.  Don't even know I am doing it sometimes.  I do it a lot when I work out, or have to do something that requires exertion.  I also do it when watching TV, or when I am into something, (mad at a movie, angry etc).  Do you take meds? have allergies or sinus issues. these could aid in this.  If it dose not stop, or you start to have real trouble breathing GO TO A DR, and get looked at.  
Shortness of breath can be from your body not having enough red corpuscles to carry the oxygen around.  This is usually caused by iron deficiency.  A doctor would be able to do a blood test to see if you were anaemic and required a supplement of iron.  Folic acid helps with the absorption of iron.  

Foods rich in iron are liver, kidneys, dark greens, cereals are fortified with iron.  You may find more.

Like you mentioned asthma - you would have a persistent cough too with that and gasping for air.  The doctor can do a simple lung function test at his surgery to find out whether you have become asthmatic or not.  

Not getting enough sleep and feeling tired can also make you want to get more oxygen into your body.

Best go to see the doctor and checked out.

Avatar n tn
Thank you everyone! I have had a heart test (a few years back) when I was dealing with a lot of stress + chest pains, however all came back fine.  

I do think it may be my iron consumption.  I used to take an iron supplement/vitamin, but stopped for the last few months, so this may be the cause.

It feels very similar to when you are sick with mucus in your lungs ... that feeling right before you have to cough.  But I have no cough and no fluid in my lungs.  Just a heavy feeling with shortness of breath.  

I may try the stress test and am def. going to start back up on my iron pills.  

Thank you, again.