Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Shortness of breath, Tight Chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Shortness of breath, Tight Chest

It has been very difficult to get a deep breath. It feels like someone is sitting on my chest. I don't have chest pain or any coughing, and I also don't have any sinus problems. My chest feels very tight, and it feels almost as if my lungs are shrinking. It is possible that it is anxiety related. This problem has come and gone over the period of years, but it is really bothering me now. The problem only seems to get worse when I try to relax. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
Have you ever been tested for asthma?
my father experienced symptoms very similar to that and he went to the hospital only to crash the next day and have to be med-evac'ed to Boston, he had congestive heart failure and his only symptoms were shortness of breath, he said it felt like he had "bad indigestion" and inabilily to take in a full deep breath, he had large amounts of fluid backed up into his lungs, im not trying to scare you but he's 47 and has been healthy as can be until this freak thing happened, he's fine now but was actually pronounced dead for 7 minutes and was in a coma for 8 days after they brought him back to us, before making an incredable recovery back to good health, so GET YOURSELF CHECKED OUT!!! The crazy irony in all this is that my father had his FIRST PHYSICAL SCHEDULED IN 22 YEARS for the day after he brought himself into the E.R......GET CHECKED and mention all the possibilities like this one to him, it wont hurt trust me
I would get this checked. Yes, anxiety can cause this, I have it a lot, but, I have been checked by my doctor many times and it has been determined mine is due to anxiety. However, since you are not sure, and it seems to be worse, I would sure get it checked.
Thank you all for your suggestions! They have been very helpful!
Have you had any lung function tests?  I have had similar symptoms since haveing my fifth bout of bronchitis in as many years.  This last time, my PCP sent me to a pulmonologist to have further tests.  It turns out that I have a mild case of restrictive lung disease also known as pulmonary fibrosis (COPD).  Fortunately, it is mild but it still is most aggravating when trying to do work around the house--vacuuming, bedmaking, any bending--like washing floors or taking laundry from the dryer.  There is no cure and not much they (doctors) can do for it at this time.  Wishing you well.  Do see a lung specialist..at least you'll know for sure what is going on.