Shoulder Pain And Numbness In My Hand
Can anyone help? I am 38 and about 3 months ago I woke with a lump on the right side of my neck as well as severe pain in my right shoulder and complete numbness in just my right hand. I stayed in the hospital for 8 days, got the MRI, CT, X-Rays, Nerve Conduction Study, and blood tests. All came back normal! I was given the diagnosis of Brachial Plexopothy but my Neurologist (x2) said my nerves are fine. I had two lumps removed and both were not cancerous. I have started Physical Therapy and am now awaiting tests ran by a orthopedist. I find it odd my hand and not my arm is numb as well as the pain has not decreased any. I am on Morphine (30mg 3 x a day) and Neurontin (800mg 3 x a day). My doctors are stumped and so am I, has anyone had this before?

-Roger
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You could be having Scalene Myofascial Pain Syndrome. When scalene muscle is the cause of pain, the pain is referred chest, inner lining of scapula, shoulder, posterior and lateral sides of the arm right up to the thumb and index finger. When this muscle shortens, this can press on brachial plexus and the subclavian artery and can compress or irritate these structures and cause symptoms such as abnormal sensation, cold extremity, numbness, claudication, and lymphedema in the involved extremity. This is a major cause of TOS or thoracic outlet syndrome.  Discuss this possibility with your treating doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.