Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Shoulder blade pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Shoulder blade pain

Hi I've had a constant dull pain in my shoulder blade and rib cage since last night and what has prompted me to post this question is that I had the pain a few days ago when the breast on the same side swelled up, developed lumps and was painful.

Current situation:

* I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis in January this year but hypothyroid in May last year. I take levothyroxine at 100mcg but I have read that Hashimoto's is associated with B cell lymphoma. Other symptoms associated with lymphoma do include fatigue, night sweats and joint pain with the lymphoma impinging on the joint affected and I get these symptoms. Also lymphoma is associated with high red blood cell counts and 2 out of 2 complete blood tests have shown my red blood cell count to be elevated.

* I have not strained/sprained my shoulder blade in any way and I haven't sat in any abnormal positions that would cause the pain.

* I have a large lump in my breast that is under investigation and will be scanned next week. Smaller lumps have since developed which my doctor is aware of and my doctor is also aware of the pain I get in my rib cage and shoulder blade when it last appeared. The only difference is that this pain has come back after my period and now occurs throughout the day instead of it only appearing at night.

Can someone please tell me what's going on? Thank you

:)
Hello!

Sorry to hear about your discomfort! I can only offer you my opinions over the internet, always consult a physician for a diagnosis. That being said, I was going to try to address the Scapula pain. There are 8 conditions that are "normally" associated with Scapula pain, they include: Rotator Cuff injury, nerve impingement, Myofascial pain (this is tough to pin point), Osteoarthritis, Shingles (you would most likely have a rash with this), Fracture (pretty obvious - bruises/swelling), over use, sleeping/ sitting in a bad position. I personally can't think of anything else from a Orthopedic stand point. Since you have the other issues, this makes it very difficult to isolate. Of course x-rays and/ or MRI will assist in the diagnosis/ treatment.

As far as the breast anomalies, it sounds like you have the tests forth coming. I (Surgical First Assistant - Orthopedics/ Podiatry/ GYN/ General) can really only give you my advice concerning any surgical procedures that may be required.

Please feel free to contact me anytime for additional info or questions. I am mostly in the Orthopedic Community where I am the Community Leader.

Have a great day!  JD1963

Hi thanks for your reply. :)

I cannot see my doctor until Tuesday as they are now closed, however I've developed pins and needles in my arm and hand - the same side as the scapula pain.

No rash, bruise or swelling. I tend to sleep on my side and wake up on my back but I've never experienced any pain like this from doing that.

I will only mention this to my doctor if the problem persists into Tuesday or more severe symptoms develop. The numbness is definitely a worry however.

Hope you have a good day too. :)