Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Shrinking of forearms and hands (boneloss)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I'm a 22 year old male, and over the past three years I have seen a definate change in the size of my wrists, forearms, and hands.  It seems that my wrists have shrunk and become much more narrow.  In fact, I now have about the narrowest wrists of anyone I know.  The same has happend to my hands.  The fingers have lost all padding and fat, and each have narrowed considerablly.  Furthermore, hands wrists and forearms all seem to gave gotten much flatter as well.  I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of such a thing happening?  I know I'm not crazy and my sibblings can vouch for me, because they have noticed the change too.  Could this be boneloss?  My understanding of boneloss is that you can't see a physical change and the only change that occurs is a change in actual bone density.
I know of several people who have had a similar problem.
They had muscle atrophy (shrinking) as a part of Lyme Disease.

In all the reading I've done about Lyme, I have not seen an explanation for this.  

List of Lyme symptoms:
http://www.canlyme.com/patsymptoms.html

When To Suspect Lyme Disease
http://cassia.org/essay.htm

If you want, you can post a query on the medical questions forum at LymeNet.org.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php

If you do post a query, put something in the title about muscle atrophy, so that people with that symptom will be sure to open the thread.
It's a busy support group, and being very specific in your title will insure a better response.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
muscle atrophy usually occurs b/c of an auto immune disorder; but without pain and fatigue.... I have no idea. See a Doctor
****. I read something about that exact thing just a few days ago. I think it was a side effect of a neurological disease, or maybe endocrine. Or maybe both. Oh, here it is: Inclusion Body Myositis.

If it was just bone loss, you'd be losing it all over your body and having joint problems too.

You might try googling "atrophy of forearms" or some variation. I think I remember a number of disorders that cause just that problem.

Mention it to your doctor, and see a neurologist.