Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Side effects of CPAP machine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Side effects of CPAP machine

Hello Doctor,

Is there any danger on the heart or lungs if you have to be on the CPAP machine for life? Recently, I had taken an echo-cardiogram test which revealed that I have an enlarged aorta, can this be a direct result of the sleep apnea and usage of the CPAP machine? If long term use of the CPAP machine causes danger, then what are the alternatives for someone who has been diagnosed with OSA?

On a another note, every morning when I wake up it takes me approximately 20 minutes to compose myself.  Is this normal?  

Thank you.
no Dr on this forum you need to post in the DR moderated forum (and it cost 15 bucks) my own experiance with CPAP was short lived I can not use it it is way to uncomfortable for me and the setting I need so I discontinued use of it myself but I have heard it is very beneficial if used correctly (and I have not heard of any bad effects from it other then comfort issues)  
Hi, I have been using a cpap for 7 or 8 years now, I sleep great with it , but I have develpoed some stomach problems. I was wondering if anyone else out there may have any of the same issues. In April of 2006 I started having problems, upset stomach, diahrea anywhere, anytime, a general feeling of being uncomfortable and not feeling safe to eat unless I was near a bathroom. Now I have been diagnosed with IBS (irratible bowel syndrome), and also SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). I was put on a very expensive antibiotic for three weeks and it seemed to help for awhile.But it is back, not to the extent it was two plus years ago, but bad enough that I am having issues again. I am on medication to help control this some, but it is always at its worst first thing in the morning. When I first get up after having my cpap on all night my stomach is really messed up. Has anyone else had any experiences like this ? I asked my Gastro DR if the cpap could be at fault, he said it was possible but wasn't sure...Any info would be much appreciated...Thanks

Sleep apnea can lead to various heart and lung conditions. During deep sleep, your heart rate and blood pressure drop. This allows your heart to rest. The pattern of snoring, pauses in breathing and then gasping or choking for air that happen with sleep apnea prevent you from getting the kind of restful, deep sleep your body needs. This can result in high blood pressure.

When your blood pressure is high, your heart must work too hard. This can lead to heart attack or stroke. Sleep apnea can also lead to left ventricular hypertrophy,atrial fibrillation and heart failure.

On the other hand, treatment of sleep apnea with CPAP causes a significant reduction in left ventricular hypertrophy and a beneficial effect on heart failure. Untreated sleep apnea increases the risk that people who have had atrial fibrillation in the past will have a recurrence.

Adverse effects of CPAP include dry nose, sinus infection, throat irritation and stomach bloating and chest discomfort; but the advantages overweigh the adverse effects.

Alternative to CPAP is Automatic Titrating (Auto)-CPAP Pressure Device. These devices are more expensive than those that provide continuous airflow. But they are not recommended for all patients, particularly those with heart failure or serious lung disease.

Hope I have provided you with sufficient information.

In case you need more, pls do post us.
I have been on CPAP for a short time.  First I just had the nose mask with the machine that could lower to a 4 setting for short time and then it went up to the 16 the doctor wanted me to be on.  I couldn't stand the constant blast, plus I am a mouth breather and would end up gasping for breath.  The machine never stayed on me for more then a couple hours.
I then got a mask that has a nose piece with the mouth mask.  When I was trying it on it felt great.  I liked the idea that there wasn't anything hanging down my forehead.  
I am still unsuccessful with wearing it all night. I had neck surgery fusion Wednesday night and was told to bring my CPAP machine.  I was hoping that I could get help figuring out what I should do with the mask and settings for the CPAP.
I am told that I have moderate to severe sleep apnea and really need to be on the machine.  I have asked what will happen to me if I don't.  The last option is go with Oxygen all night.  They say that really won't help with keeping the airway open.
Well, I am a shallow breather who just discovered the uncomfortable part of CPAP for me is my inability to breath OUT against the 3.5 starter pressure, let alone the 10 regualr sleep pressure. So I tried it for a few minutes tonight and it became obvious what my problem is. I am not too over weight, but the sleep study said I had 32 events per hour...to me, that meant I couldnt get to sleep being so wired up, literally and figuratively. I changed my diet and my exercise routine and my daytime sleepiness went away. Has anyone else just made a simple change like that and had their symptoms go away?
Im a respiratory therapist and here is what I can say.  CPAP will not enlarge your aorta, will not cause dirrhea or other gastrointestinal disorders except maybe gastic bloating when the cpap pressures are high enough.

to aml74, will or are you in a hospital that has a respiratory therapy department?  You may also awant to call your sleep doctor (the one who interpretted your sleep study) and see what they suggest.  And they were right about wearing O2 all night, it wont keep you from obstructing as nasal cannula's, even high flow cannulas, will not creat nearly enough CPAP pressure to keep your airway from occluding.

re: brian, 3.5cm h2o is a very low pressure, if you are having trouble being out against that pressure I would deffinetly go back to your sleep doctor, and I recommend you get a complete pulmonary function test as well.  Or could it be inpart to a feeling of claustrophobia/anxiety?  I would also recommend being re-studied with your new changes to diet and exercise.

I wear a full face mask CPAP with a pressure of 8 and use the ramp starting at 5.  I use the ResMed Ultra Mirage full face mask and love it....there are a lot of other good masks out there.  If your mask is uncomfortable or not working as well as you think it might, call your home care company and let them know.  A lot of them will exchange your first mask for free
Hi there,

In your studies, have you ever come across the plastics & silicone used in CPAP causing any autoimmune disorders?  I've recently been diagnosed with Lupus. I'm awaiting the last of the bloodwork results & of course am going through all the meds, vitamins,anything that I've ingested, etc to see if there's a known link of this.  I'm hoping it's medication related because that's an easy fix once we identify the med at fault. I've recently been thinking of the affects of breathing in air via plastics & silicone since it does go directly into your body.  I know that it's Medical Grade plastic, etc but still.....Any thoughts? Otherwise, the CPAP has been remarkable for my OSA.
Thanks,

MDP
I am using Cpad machine for 6 years in Canada. I was 245lbs. I used to pass out during sleep at least 10-15 times. This machine saved my life. It allows you to get air and oxygen in your heart, lung, kidney brain. If your breathing system does not work during sleep, You will be deep **** in future. Chances of heart attack and strokes increase. May be the future result will be Kidney failure. It is not end here. You will have enough protein passing from  your kidney to shut down your body soon. Because when you are in sleep your brain start to work. It starts to flow the energy to other parts of the body. When it cannot for lack of oxygen and air. You can guess what can happen. Good luck. path  
A related discussion, What does the setting actually mean on the CPAP was started.
A related discussion, gasping problem was started.
A related discussion, First week on CPAP was started.