Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Slight upper back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Slight upper back pain

For 2 weeks now, I have had a constant urge to take a deep breath (or yawn). In the same timeframe, I have had a very slight upper back pain in between my shoulder blades.

My only thought to the cause to this is when my friend and I went fishing. We had to drag my canoe 30 yards on both flat and steep surfaces (had to bend down while pulling the boat). I was told that a potential back injury is hindering my breathing.

I am 27 yrs old, 6'5 / 220lbs, a former 3 sport highschool athlete, and a former college and semi-professional football player.

I continue to stay in shape by running and biking. Also a non-smoker.

I will be seeing a doctor next week but would like some feedback before then.

Thanks much,
Dave
1 Comment
Hello, I had similar symptoms not too long ago that lasted for quite sometime (6 months to a year off and on). I was worried it was a problem with my lungs because, It was such an uncomfortable and different pain I thought it couldn,t be the muscles in my back- exactly where you have expressed your pain to be between the shoulder blades. Mine was more centered on the right shoulder blade though, but just ove the spine nevertheless. It did hurt somtimes when I breathed in and at other times it did not. I would go on for days useing heat patches over the affected area and that did help. I found that taking tylenol didn,t help with the pain so I worried even more. After goinbg to my doctor, she had me do a work of exams to include a lung exray, abdominal ultrasound, and everything came out ok. She referred me to a physical therapist, that felt around my back and manipulated the muscles in the area. She manipulated the area in such a manner that it seemed she popped things back into there places.(I heard a few popping noises as she pressed down hardly on my back) It did help. I was sore for a few days, but the pain has since passed. Nonetheless the pain in lighter forms does come back whne I think  am more tense and stressed, possible I think from contracting my muscles when I am tense. Just thought I