Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Solid Mass on Spleen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Solid Mass on Spleen

I am a 37 yr old female who has been having abdominal discomfort and bloating x 4 months. My doctor ordered abdominal ultrasound just to be safe. I was found to have a solid splenic mass measuring 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.6cm. They asked to repeat in 8 weeks to check for changes and suspected hemangioma. Last week was my second ultrasound. The solid mass is there, now measuring 1.3 x 1.4 x 1.2 cm. It is a well circumscribed low echo lesion in the posterior spleen near the hemidiaphragm. They say it is atypical for hemangioma, but must rule out lymphoma or metastasis. On the 2nd ultrasound, it was also discovered that my liver shows borderline enlargement with right lobe sagittal dimension of 17.9cm. I have also had heavy vaginal bleeding since December 28th, which only subsided one week ago. I do not drink, however I regularly take 10/325mg (every 6 hours) of Hydrocodone for degenerative disc disease. Also had found a lump in my left breast in November, which they diagnosed as a cyst on ultrasound. I actually had multiple cysts, but only one was prominent. They suggested further investigation to rule out breast cancer, but the doctor said it was fine, and was nothing to worry about. Now, with all this other stuff, I am terrified to think I may have breast cancer with met's to the spleen and liver! Could you please give me some feedback as to what you think might be going on? I am scheduled for abdominal MRI in the morning. But would like to hear your imput. Thank you so much
that is good, an mri would be able to determine a hemangioma, it sounds like you know what you are talking about. make sure you go fasting and the tech may not know this, but a dynamic contrast enhanced sequence is in order to see if it is a hemangioma, or a specific lesion. also fat saturation sequences pre and post contrast. take care
Thanks! I did have it done this morning, and they did do a pre and post contrast, so I'm glad you mentioned that! Now it's a waiting game...
what were your results?  thanks
In November 2008 I was diagnosed with a mass on my spleen  - about 5 cm - larger than an egg but smaller than a baseball.  I've had a CT scan & 2 MRIs. My doctor suggested another MRI in about 6 months unless the pain increases.  I've read that after spleen surgery a person is more prone to have infections, colds, pneumonia, stroke.   Has anyone out there had spleen surgery, and if so, how are you doing?
A related discussion, Mass on spleen was started.
I have spleen mass they say it is a cyst  it has enlarged from 1.5 to 4.5 cm. I am allergic to iodine contrast. They have done ct and ultrasound. I am in severe pain very sick. What other tests can be done to for sure know what it is and if cancer. They said cannot do surgery. I have also in my liver mass or aneurysm. Help
A related discussion, spleen mass was started.