Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sore feet, finger joint pain, abdominal pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I don't know if the abdominal pain is associated with the others...I do alot of lifting at work so my first thought was that I pulled an abdominal muscle.  The pain is dull and is below the sternum and above the naval.  The pain happens most when i'm bending over and laying on my left side.

I walk all day and wear good running/walking shoes but my feet have been hurting lately (balls of foot and heel), also when I first wake up the pain is the worst.  Upon waking my fingers hurt in the joints when I bend them....this seems to go away after a couple of hours.

Going by your symptom of upper abdominal pain, three possibilities are coming in my mind.Firstly; GERD can be a cause of this pain. Try taking some antacids and see if the symptoms persist.

Secondly, it can be due to hiatus hernia (occurs when the upper part of your stomach protrudes into your chest cavity through a weakness in the hiatus (opening) in your diaphragm.)Treatment is antacids and prilosec.Also eat smaller meals, especially at night. Don't lie down right after you eat. Use 2 or 3 pillows, or a foam wedge, or raise the head of your bed to prevent discomfort..
Thirdly it can be gall stones or pancreatitis.In gall stones the pain start in the upper middle or upper right abdomen, and is it brought on by greasy or fatty foods.Pancreatitis can be caused by alcohol consumption or gall stones. Diagnosis is by abdominal ultrasound and serum amylase and lipase levels. Treatment is started after consultation from a gastroenterologist.

The morning stiffness and the pain in the joints is not related to the abdominal pain.It may be due to fibromyalgia or arthritis.Pls consult an orthopaedician to find out the confirmatory diagnosis as its treatment depends on the same.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.

OK, here is my update.  Went to see my family Dr. on Monday, August 11 and he said that my abdominal pain was more than likely due to stomach acid/anxiety.  Interesting combo but that is what he said.....by the way he ran absolutely no tests.  Thursday, August 14 I was in so much pain that I broke down and went to the ER.  The ER Dr. immediately thought gallbladder or appendicitis.  Blood work showed a slightly raised white blood cell count.  Ultrasound and xrays for gallbladder came back negative.  CT gave me the answer that I was looking for....appendicitis.  A few hours later and I was out of surgery.   As far as the central stomach pains, I was told by the ER Dr. that appendicitis often causes central upper abdominal pain......
A related discussion, Increased pain of an injury site upon awakening was started.