Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sore tailbone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sore tailbone

I am actually writing on behalf of my wife.  She was cleaning the house over two weeks ago (17 days ago to be exact) and she started to get pain in her lower back.  Her pain is in the tailbone area, yet she did not have any trauma to her back and did not bump it against anything.  She has a small area that looks swollen; however she believes that she has always had a bit of a bump in the area.  She saw her doctor two weeks ago.  The doctor had her touch her toes, bend backwards, etc; however she did not seem alarmed at all by the situation.  She simply told her to ice the area and take Advil to reduce the swelling.  After a week of consistent pain, my wife went back and the doctor gave her a stronger prescription for the swelling.  We also went and bought a special cushioned seat that allows us to remove the tailbone portion to ease the pressure.  Last Friday was one of the best days that she has experienced, as the pain was very minimal all day.  On Saturday morning, by her doctor's advice, she went to a rehabilitation clinic.  They examined her back and showed her a few stretching exercises to do each morning.  For the remainder of the day on Saturday, she was pretty good; however on Saturday night and all day yesterday (Sunday) she experienced quite a bit of discomfort again.  My wife is very nervous that there could be more to this unexpected pain and she can not understand why things are not getting better.

Do you have any ideas of what else it could be and/or can you let me know how long she can expect this pain to persist?  I beleive that she is doing everything right but please share any advise that you might have.

Thanks.
1 Comment

The symptoms that your wife is having may be due to coccydynia. Inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks is referred to as coccydynia. Coccydynia is associated with pain and tenderness at the tip of the tailbone between the buttocks. The pain is often worsened by sitting.

Caused by injury to the coccyx like trauma,fall or normal labour or even spontaneously without any cause.

Diagnosed only on basis of clinical evaluation and treatment includes using a well-padded seat when sitting and avoiding long periods of sitting when possible.Ask your wife to take adequate rest, avoid re-injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.Keeping soft pillow under the buttocks while sitting on a hard surface helps tremendously.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.