Soreness and red spots under armpits
I recently developed tender red spots with small swollen and sore lumps under red areas under both armpits.  There are multiple spots of varying sizes.  For a day when these developed I was light headed and somewhat dizzy feeling.  Almost felt like I was catching a cold or the flu.  Those symptoms have disappeared but the soreness, swelling and spots under armpits have remained.  I have been using same underarm deordorant for years.  The only activities that I have done out of ordinary are cleaning and working in hot tub for extended period of time and sleeping in a hotel room.  These spots and tenderness occurred almost overnight.  Please help with any advice as the spots have remained for the past two days...they seem to have improved slightly but still remain.  I would just like to know what has caused them.
Thanks for the help

J.F  (Montana)

It is very difficult to make a diagnosis without examination but the various possibilities for your symptoms are folliculitis,dermatitis(contact,irritant or allergic) or swollen lymph nodes.

Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes.Treatment is usually cold compresses,over the counter anti-inflammatory analgesics(pain killers) like acetaminophen or ibuprofen,antibiotics if cause of infection is suspected to be a bacteria and surgical drainage if there is any abscess formation. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle be staph aureus.Treatment includes antibiotics.

In my opinion,do warm compresses of these lumps and take some antihistaminics like benadryl(may cause drowiness) or Claritin.Keep the underarm area clean and pls do not use any perfume or cosmetics on that site.Ypu can also take ibuprofen(motrin) or acetaminophen(Tylenol) for the pain and soreness.

If these lumps increase in size or there is any associated symptoms of redness,warmth or severe pain,then bacterial infection may be suspected and antibiotics may have to be prescribed.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or in case you have any additional queries