Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sores that don't heal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sores that don't heal

I had breast reduction surgery 12/06.  Since that time I have a spot on my breast that never heals.  The last procedure that was to completely cut out the spot and then it was stitched shut.  I had all but about a 1/4 inch that has healed.  I find that instead of completely going away it fills with fluid and sometimes cloudy puss like stuff.  When the incision was cut out they sent it to a pathologist and there was no cancer detected.
What should I do now with it?  It is a couple months shy of 2 years since I had breast surgery and it is pretty frustrating that this spot won't heal.  There was no cutting in this spot originally, there was just a dot of a sore starting out.  We didn't know what it was from and still don't really know.
Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be?
Thanks,
Ann

Thanks for writing.
Surgical wounds that do not heal over along period of time are due to some underlying pathology like diabetes, local infection, poor blood supply, pressure etc. You had a pathology report, was it also done for infection? I think you must get a swab culture and sensitivity done of the pus like substance that comes out. This is a test to see what is this pus due to. Also certain biochemical tests and tests for tuberculosis bacteria should also be done on the pus like material. Sometimes a fistula or canal to develops that prevents healing. You have to get your blood sugar examined for diabetes.

However it is difficult to diagnose without examining. You may also need to take some blood tests to rule out diabetes, X-rays with a colored dye if the doctor suspects fistula, etc to reach a diagnosis. So please consult your doctor. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted.

Thank you so much for your reply.  I lucked out and had a appointment this past week with my plastic surgeon.  He said the original reaction was from a type of suture that is braided and some of it stayed in my wound.  He thinks that the new incision on my neck has experienced the same reaction from the type of suture used.  He said the healing will take time.  I have been put on antibiotic by the Orthopedic doctor once I told him what I found out about the reaction and then the infection from it.  It has been so frustrating with the lack of respect as to what I am trying to tell the doctors and nurses that I am having a reaction.  It isn't a big deal to them, but for me it means a long time of healing dealing with the itching, breakout and slow healing that I experience.  I don't know how to make it different.  My saving grace is that I didn't allow the Orthopedic PA when I was in the hospital, to use dermabond to close the neck incision.  I know I would have been in major trouble and how would I be able to get rid of the reaction and the adhesive in a hurry.
I will be talking with my regular doctor on the subject of the long wound healing.  I need figure that out so there isn't a fear of others that my wounds won't heal.
Again, thanks for being a part of this online community.  It really help me to have the confidence to deal with the wound issue.
Ann