Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Spinal Tap inVestigation

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Spinal Tap inVestigation
I have lost all sensation in my left leg, groin, back and this has been like this now for 2 months and was confirmed yesterday when I met with a Professor of Neurology. I also have tinnitus in my left ear and a weakness in my left arm and pressure headaches.

I have already had an MRI which showed changes in my lumbar spin, they didn't explain what those changes were but they did confirm it was not changes in the bones, there weren't any prolapsed discs ete either.  

I am currently awaiting a date when I will be going into hospital for a few days to have the tap and other tests CT etc.

But can anyone please advise me why they would be doing a spinal tap? And/or advice about what could be causing this left sided numbness and pain.  I am normally a very fit and active 30 year old women.

Any advice and/or guidance would be very much appreciated, it's the not knowing which I am finding very hard to cope with.

Thank you
Multiple sclerosis is likely what they are ruling out.  The presence of oligoclonal bands on the spinal fluid can suggest or make MS less likely.  

Of course, if there is suspicion of meningitis, the spinal tap would also evaluate for this - however the symptoms don't sound like that.  

I agree with the spinal tap.  Further testing can be considered with a nerve conduction study.  

These questions can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_