Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sporadic Rib Pain
About This Community:

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sporadic Rib Pain

For the past couple of years, I have been having a problem where I occasionally get a stabbing, shooting pain in my front, lower to middle rib cage. It is not consistent as to which side (sometimes both) it is on, and it gets much worse if I take a deep breath during one of these occasions. Additionally, the severity of the pain varies greatly from a mild, almost cramp-like discomfort to extreme pain that causes me to curl up in a little ball and breathe as little as possible until it goes away. These episodes also vary in length.

I have not, to my knowledge, ever broken a rib, though I did slightly bruise one a few years ago by falling in a hole and landing on it.

Though I couldn't find any connections between my actions and the pain's onset for a long time, I've noticed that recently, this has often but not exclusively occurred during times when I am wearing something that constricts the movement of my ribs, even lightly or in an elastic way (such as a tight vest, a high belt or sash, or a costume for the stage which requires the use of a corset or tight bodice). In some cases, particularly if the pain was fairly mild, simply loosening any garments of this type is enough to cause the pain to recede within a minute or two, but at other times it doesn't seem to have any effect.

These incidents are not too common so as cause many difficulties in my everyday life, so I have not consulted a doctor about them specifically, but in the next two months, I will be in a stage show that will require me to be wearing a corset while singing, and I have been having difficulties with functioning properly in my rehersal costume. Is anyone familiar with this situation who can offer any advice and/ or suggestions to what might be causing the problem?

Thank you very much-
Liza