Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sporadic Rib Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sporadic Rib Pain

For the past couple of years, I have been having a problem where I occasionally get a stabbing, shooting pain in my front, lower to middle rib cage. It is not consistent as to which side (sometimes both) it is on, and it gets much worse if I take a deep breath during one of these occasions. Additionally, the severity of the pain varies greatly from a mild, almost cramp-like discomfort to extreme pain that causes me to curl up in a little ball and breathe as little as possible until it goes away. These episodes also vary in length.

I have not, to my knowledge, ever broken a rib, though I did slightly bruise one a few years ago by falling in a hole and landing on it.

Though I couldn't find any connections between my actions and the pain's onset for a long time, I've noticed that recently, this has often but not exclusively occurred during times when I am wearing something that constricts the movement of my ribs, even lightly or in an elastic way (such as a tight vest, a high belt or sash, or a costume for the stage which requires the use of a corset or tight bodice). In some cases, particularly if the pain was fairly mild, simply loosening any garments of this type is enough to cause the pain to recede within a minute or two, but at other times it doesn't seem to have any effect.

These incidents are not too common so as cause many difficulties in my everyday life, so I have not consulted a doctor about them specifically, but in the next two months, I will be in a stage show that will require me to be wearing a corset while singing, and I have been having difficulties with functioning properly in my rehersal costume. Is anyone familiar with this situation who can offer any advice and/ or suggestions to what might be causing the problem?

Thank you very much-
Liza
Dont wear corsets?
Seriously though. Could have a fractured rib that never set properly, and so when you put on a corset (or anything constricitng) it puts pressure on the rib(s) and causes pain. Get to a doctor and get it checked out. Better safe than sorry especially when dealing with your lungs and their protective casing!
Just a guess but to me it sounds like you may have cracked ribs. I had 4 cracked ribs in 1995 and what you are writing about sounds very similar to my pain. My suggestion is to find an orthopedic doctor or go to the E R and get some x-rays. Good luck to you.
I've had x-rays of my chest for other things, like pnuemonia (pneumonia) and a fall out of a tree, since I started having the problem, and cracked ribs have never come up before. Also, wearing constrictive clothing doesn't  always cause issues- sometimes, there is no reason for an episode, and sometimes I can wear a tight lacing, awful traditional corset with no problems. It's just not consistent, which is the problem.
Should your problem continue you may consider asking your doctor if a CT scan would be of any help. When I had my cracked ribs the pain would come when even laying down in the bed. My first visit to the doctor and er did not reveal any cracked ribs until a 4th xray was taken. Not sure why or what the difference was in the xrays unless they read by a different radiologist. I know how mine were broken....fell off of a horse and hit a fence rail and bounced on the ground for a few times. I waited over a month before I had my first xray. Take care.