Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sticky lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sticky lips

My girlfriend complains that she doesnt like kissing me because I always have sticky mucousy lips. I brush two to three times a day and drink plenty of water. It is quite annoying because I want to be able to kiss her, and now it is starting to put me off kissing altogether. I also have mild asthma and this could be to do with it. I have been taping my mouth up at night for a month to train myself to always breathe through my nose, but so far no great changes.
I cant find any solutions on the web about this. Any thoughts?

This discussion is related to Sticky Lips and Gluey Saliva.

Since when are you having the symptoms? What is your age? Do you smoke?

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If you have cracks at the corner of your mouth it indicates B2 deficiency in this case you need to take B2 supplements.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.

I would suggest you to check out the link below. This is Buteyko method of encouraging nasal breathing through exercises in asthmatics. It gives information on relaxation and breathing exercises.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buteyko_method
Hope this helps.
Hello, thanks for both of your responses. I am 26, a non-smoker, and I have been noticing the symptoms for a few years, but they could have been undetected for longer before that.

I dont have cracked lips, no dentures, drink a fair amount of water, and no cracks in the corner of my mouth.

Perhaps it is from breathing through my mouth too much?

Thanks.
Rob.

You could consult your doctor if you think mouth breathing is the problem - you would also need to rule out a deviated nasal septum and try certain exercises to help with the mouth breathing.

What is the lung function test report in your case?

Post us if you need any other information and keep us updated on the latest.

Regards.