Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Stingray

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Stingray

Hi my husband stood on a stingray 12 months ago, he put it strait into hot water and then we went to the Er. They removed the barb and washed it out. But 12 months later he is still getting pain an swelling in his foot. His gp has given him antiinflammatories, no help though. He said it like a tooth ache. Should he have it investigated further, could it still be from the stingray?
Hi there. he may still have barb remnants in his foot, causing a secondary infection and inflammation.

An xray or an ultra sound can help find of there is still foreign object in there. If they did not get it all out then it will definitely cause more issues this far along, as the wound will not properly heal from the inside.

Take care...C

Take care...C
yes if he has to got to the local clinic or er till the pain goes away. 20min on 20min off  with ice
Hello,  panda2526 had a great idea, but, have you thought of a foot specialist? Good luck and I hope your husband feels better soon.
I know a fellow who stepped on a toothpick and it broke off in his foot. On the right hand side in the meaty part. Months, and I mean months later, it came out...on the top of his foot! It had travelled and made it's way all the way through his foot until they finally could get it out. In the meantime, there was a lot of infection and had to keep it medicated and cleaned daily. An xray did not show it. An ultra sound might if there are remnants. Think of when you have a sliver, it can be the tiniest thing, can't even see it and yet how much does it bother you and fester or burn until it is out.

My guess is that there is a small fragment in there still causing the foot to be tender and swollen, as it cannot heal. My guess.

C
Thanks for that, someone else we know their son fell on a stingray and they took the barb out but a year later the other one had travel from the back of his leg to his groin. He was a very sick boy throughout the year and they couldn't work out what was wrong until a lump appeared in his groin and out came the barb. My husband has been back to the dr and is getting an ultrasound this week.
Best wishes to find the culprit of his problem! If the scan doesn't show, and if it is a fragment, one day maybe it will come out also without too many problems.

Cheerz, C