Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 801-805 comments:
Wow! It's amazing (sad) to see how many people suffer from this.

I'm a 44 yr old female. I have all of the same symptoms as most of you have already listed, so I won't list them again.  I have had these "episodes/attacks" on and off over the last 20 years or so...my first one in about 2 years last weekend. I usually only have 1 episode but this time it was 3 back to back. Truly thought I was going to die!

I have a few questions for you: how many of you have been tested and have a positive ANA? Has anyone been diagnosed with any auto immune disorder by a dr...other than Chrohns or IBS? Have any of you taken Accutane in the past?

I'm seeing a new rheumatologist and allergist. I just want to figure all of this out and feel healthy and happy!
Hi i have experienced what is described but always connected to menstruation, its instant, it usually happens right before the bleeding starts. Im sorry to see that the pdf you linked is not working :( i also tried google the document but it did not work.
I am going through exactly the same problem. Solution till now is I take 2 benadryl capsules when I know this is going to happen soon. It immediately reduces the pain and episode ends with bowl movement. Makes you super sleepy next day but better than passing out I guess.
Benadryl? Never though about that.  I know that my episodes are triggered by several things... Usually, hormonal during the start of my period, dehydration and food allergies. My last episode I stopped by the drug store trying to find something to prevent the episode but it was inevitable. I think I might keep some Benadryl on hand just in case.

I'm glad to hear that it works for you. I hate the passing out.
i too have had all these symptoms, but it is depressing that there really are no conclusions.  i have had some symptoms throughout my life but nothing this bad until last year when the horrible sweats, weakness and passing out started to accompany the episodes.   i am 64 and had my gall bladder removed when i was 50 it gave me problems after i was put on statins for high cholesterol.  the very excrutiating episodes started 6 mos after i was taken off hormone replacement therapy, i do think there is a connection there. i have only been to the er once after a fainting which messed up the side of my face and tore my cornea resulting in a cornea operation.  at the er my blood pressure was low, white cells and liver enzymes high.  all that was done was hydration blood and urine test and i was sent home.  i have been through all the gi tests and a tilt test - all normal.  drs have no answer.  one dr did mention perhaps a genetic rare disease porpheria which is first tested with a 24 hr urine collection and then dna test.  you have to do the test with the episode which you are trying to avoid seems backwards to me.  even though my insurance would pay for the test i couldn't convince her to go ahead with the dna test even though i told her how dangerous this can be so i still don't know about that diagnosis.  has anyone had that test - also look up those symptoms
m.
I too have the symptoms mentioned above. 25 y/o female. 2 children. Episodes started in 2009. Something that I found that works for me is ( I do it every time I feel a BM coming on...especially at night)
Walking in place. I read somewhere that low blood pressure may cause you to faint so I try to walk in place a little bit before going to the bathroom. It seems to help..might just be a placebo effect but hey its worth a try.I know I will do anything to avoid that feeling of right before you pass out. I will definitely buy some immodium to keep in my nightstand tho..Thank you for that wonderful idea.
My episodes have always occurred at night. The first being when I was at my MIL's house. No vomiting or nausea feeling. Just a big BM then bam wake up on the floor. Not sure how long I am there before I wake up. The last episode I had I was able to make it to the bed before I passed out but my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest. Sweating all over and felt very weak.
I also wanted to add that I have no known medical issues. Attacks happen very random and I never know when it is coming until the cramping starts. Constipation may be the issue..never been very regular.
I have had several 'episodes' and after research on the net, I think I have found at least a deterrent for me. I read that Imodium (immodium) would help and so I tried. it. As soon as I start to feel bad, I take one tablet and even though it is not immediate relief and I still have the terrible symptoms for about a half an hour, it at least has kept me from complete debilitation and from fainting. It certainly reduces the fear of an uncontrollable attack again. I hope it helps you.
My episodes occur at night too. My most recent episode happened 2 nights ago. I fainted twice and now have a nice big bump on my forehead, bruises down my leg and a big black and blue on my behind.  I've posted before about being taken to the ER after fainting in public and visiting several different gastroenterologists. They've done blood work and ran different tests and still can't figure out what this is. :-(
I wanted to add that the only thing that has been consistent with my episodes is that it's only happened after eating outside foods, never from eating homemade food which makes me wonder if the foods have had some kind of bacteria.
I had exactly same pain last night alone in hotel room, after eating a chik fil A grilled chicken sandwich, and a small JW black label whiskey drink. I woke up in pain after 1 1/2 hours of eating my dinner, sweating all over the body and severe cramps like pain. I drank 2 bottle of water, went out to get fresh air. passed out on floor with unbearable pain then went to toilet with a diarrhea and that relieved the pain and went to sleep and came to work next day still little tired of last night pain.

I had these kinds of 3 pain in last 10 years, last pain I had after eating Pizza hut 4 years ago and after passing diarrhea in toilet made it fine.

I have not seen any doctor so far, I am thinking of  seeing a doctor for further tests.

RD
Sounds very much like contaminated food had been ingested.  

It is the body's natural reaction to get rid of any contaminant, like a bug or poison, and cramping, diarrhea and vomiting is normal - this is the body's way to get rid of the nasty.

Drinking plenty of water or light fruit juices will help the body not to become dehydrated.

Unfortunately we do not know the standard of the hygiene of the food handler nor the way the food has been stored or whether it has come into contact with a contaminant like raw meat or dirty hands.
Hi. Googled my symptoms and ended up at this forum. An hour ago I had a severe attack again and decided to look it up.  I thought it was epilepsy. My stomach pains so severely, I have to run to the bathroom. I am so use to what to do.. Go on the toilet first while sweating and getting needles and pins make sure I sit long enough to go through the number two proses, my body's temperature going sky high, and then fell to the floor trying to cool down on the cold tiles.  Sometimes I shake and my hands pull together. Is so scary.  My fiancé could literally see how the blood just went down in my face leaving me pale, looking like the dead.  And then after 40 min I am all good again. What do they call this! Medically what is it called .
Have you been checked out by the medical profession and had any tests done to see if you have Helicobacter Pylori, parasites or worms?

If not, may be a good idea to get that done.
The test for Helicobacter Pylori is a breath test, sometimes a stool test is done.  Blood tests do not show accurate readings.

It would also be a good idea to see a doctor to make sure that it is not an appendix problem or swollen glands in the groin due (mesenteric adenitis)
Hi jemma.  Nope it's not helicobacter pylori.  
Well at least you can tick that off your list.

Hope you do find out soon the cause of your problem.

Best wishes.
I have been battling this exact same problem for about 20 years now.  It usually hits me in the middle of the night but occasionally it happens during the day.  Cramps that get progressively worse until I either black out or nearly do.  Sweating followed by chills followed by a bowel movement.  It happens anywhere from 2 times a year to 6 times a year.  After a lot of experimenting and doctors appointments I think I've finally solved my problem.  It's dairy.  The strange thing is that this doesn't happen every time I eat dairy.  And it can sometimes be delayed by a day or two after I do have some dairy.  It doesn't happen every time I eat dairy but it ALWAYS happens after I have had dairy within the last two days.  I had long suspected dairy might be involved but I always thought it was strange that it didn't happen right after I ate the offending food.  As long as I am very diligent about avoiding ALL forms of dairy these episodes don't happen - but I have to read EVERY label and ingredient list to make sure there is zero dairy in the food.  I don't know if this will end up being the culprit for anyone else but I thought I'd share this just in-case it might help someone else on here.  
Hello, I wanted to know if you were given meds for this condition and are you better?   Thanks
I HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEM FOR 10YRS, THE CAUSE FOR ME IS ANXIETY, AN ANXIETY ATTACKS! HAVE ANY OF YOU LOOKED AT THE SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY? THE MEDICATIONS AVAILABLE LIKE XANNAX! WORK GREAT, WHEN I FIRST STARTED HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS AS MOST OF YOU I THOUGHT I WAS DYING, HAD CAT SCANS OF MY BRAIN FOR TUMORS, SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING, HAD UPPER GI ENDOSCOPY'S DONE, ULTRA SOUNDS OF MY ORGANS, LIVER, GUALBLADDER? THEN MY DOCTOR TOLD ME I MUST BE SUFFERING FROM ANIETY ATTACKS, I SAID HE WAS WRONG, I AM SICK, BUT HE GAVE ME SOME XANNAX TO TAKE THE NEXT TIME I HAD AN EPISODE WHICH SOUND JUST LIKE YOUR SYMPTOMS. IT GOT SO BAD ONE NIGHT THAT I FINALLY TOOK THE XANNAX, MUCH TO MY SUPRISE MY SYMPTOMS ALL WENT AWAY IN ABOUT 15MINS, COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! I WASN'T DYING ANYMORE AND MY DOCTOR WAS RIGHT! OH WELL NOW I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS THE REST OF MY LIFE, BUT HEY, ATLEAST I KNOW WHAT I GOT AND HOW TO CONTROL IT. PEACE, THANKS
I believe I have found the answer for most of us. First let me say i am not overweight, nor have i ever been.  With that said, I feel confident it is "Dumping Syndrom (syndrome)" that is common after gastric surgery.  I don't know if I can post links here, but if not, please search for Dumping Syndrom (syndrome) on webmd.com.  

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/dumping-syndrome-causes-foods-treatments
Omg, I just had an episode! I have never fainted in my life. I am a 40 y/o female. I was drinking a beer talking to a friend after working a music show when suddenly I had to stop talking and tell her that I was in pain and needed the bathroom. I turned to walk through a door and fainted! I woke up from the impact of falling straight down on my butt. I had my boyfriend drive me home, used the bathroom (runny and gross), and started to feel better. Right after the faint, I sweated profusely and had to sit down for a while. I had drank some whisky earlier in the night and eaten plenty of food. I was not intoxicated. It was scary. I start my period in 4 days, everything I had to eat or drink, I have had many times without incident. I don't know what it is. I had a recent physical and vitals and blood work were all healthy. I don't know what just happened to me.  
I have been diagnosed with IBS, Epilepsy, dairy intolerant, you name it yet none of which have panned out or found to be correct or accurate. (Except we must all have some form of IBS). I AM GOING TO MAYO CLINIC next week to try to finally find an answer. I've been doing this since 2009. I'm 52 years old and female.  Always happens in the middle of the night, except once.  Episodes have escalated infrequency and times per occurrence. Even though I know I won't, I'm certain l am dying each time. One time I had 6 in a row over 5 1/2 hours and was hospitalized for 3 days. They found nothing. I've had numerous tests by many Doctors. If Mayo can't figure it out, then I guess we are all screwed.  People do not understand how horrific and terrifying these episodes are.  I will post once I've been to Mayo and let you know what happens.  
This is from a thirty-nine year old full time working mum with medical history of high blood pressure. I was hospitalised about two months ago with blood pressure of 241/135, so when this happened for the first time ever approximately two hours ago, I thought it had to do with my high blood pressure but wondered about the different symptoms.

The symptoms described are almost verbatim, from the episodes of nausea, dizziness, black out to the bowel episode and the cold sweat. I was terrified as I did think I was dying and I passed out during placing an emergency call. Felt foolish afterwards and cancelled the ambulance. Was checking out the symptoms and came across this site. Will glean advice from here and see if I can work out an appropriate intervention.

Thanking you all from the bottom of my relieved heart.

HellloThis is from a thirty-nine year old full time working mum with medical history of high blood pressure. I was hospitalised about two months ago with blood pressure, so when this happened for the first time ever approximately two hours ago, I thought it had to do with my high blood pressure but wondered about the different symptoms.

Apologies for the multiple posts, didn't realise comment was already added as I had been looking in the wrong place.
Goodness. I just read every single comment on this page. Like all of you are well aware of, this is one of, if not the scariest thing to experience - period. I'm not sure if there is anything that could make me feel physically, or mentally for that matter, worse than these awful episodes. Verbatim I think is the word, no explanation needed. Identical to this awful thing that happened to me two nights ago that has left me more scared of food than an armed robber. Why? Because no one knows what it is.

It appears that alcohol, high fructose corn syrup, eating heavily right before bed, dehydration, (I'm a 24 year old female) and the beginning of a period all seem to be possible triggers - for lack of better word. I would love to just get a group of doctors together and show them this page. I've had a colonoscopy about 2 years ago at the ripe age of 24, that was fun. This was before I ever had an experience with this episode though.

I don't need to delve into the details, literally everything I have read is spot on. It actually kind of cracks me up how everyone finds solace on the tiles because I totally understand. I'm scared to drink beer, liquor, eat a lot or even eat at all. But you can't not eat because if you do that you'll faint before you ever make it to the bathroom.

Now, here's something that I find interesting is the anxiety. I mean, I find all of this interesting and thank the lord I have just found this page. I have always had really bad anxiety. My sister too, however she has such awful anxiety it is to the point where she has panic attacks, is prescribed xanax for her attacks, so I can see how that would help. I noticed one person had mentioned this. But the thing is, she doesn't have bouts of waking up in the middle of the night, that I know of - I imagine no one would be able to keep quiet about these horrendous night spells. Now I have never had a panic attack, but having bad anxiety none -the- less, one could imagine how hard it is to handle this with anxiety on top of it (naturally it spirals me into thinking I have cancer, or a tumor, fear of throwing up -- that's what anxiety does, it makes you paranoid and there are all types of degrees). It is scary. I wouldn't wish not even one of these episodes on my worst enemy. I'm scared to go to bed at night because this happens at night, and have been braced for the past 2 nights since it happened but luckily haven't woken up in my sleep since.

From what I've read it seems that these don't work like I thought.. I got one that night and expected to have the same thing happen the next night but it seems that they are more rare than that. I have never fainted in my life, not even that night. But if I had to imagine what it feels like right before fainting, I think i've pretty much figured that out. Tunnel vision, disoriented feeling, the room feels like it's spinning. I do think it is very very important to drink as much water as possible due to the excessive amounts of sweating. Always drink water period but especially because of this. I think we all just want help, answers, but I cannot put into words how comforting it is just to know that I am not the only one.
After the fourth incident in about five years I found this forum, and like everyone else am so glad to hear about it.
I suffer the same as everyone else, but I have no time to do anything. I feel the pain, usually wake up from it a few hours after going to bed, and then I rush to the bathroom and maybe have between 5 and 10 minutes before I pass out. My husband says that I seize slightly and that has scared him into calling the ambulance. I am never out more than a minute, and after the black out I usually am able to have a bowel movement and then the heat remains but the incredible pain has subsided to more manageable throbbing and then just fatigue.
I am wondering if this is hereditary. After it happened the second time I started asking around. I found that my mother and brother both have this, although my brother has only had this happen to him once in his 40s, and my mother will have had just a handful of episodes over her 60+ years. She will also just pass out with food poisoning.
The most recent episode happened after I have stopped eating gluten, and went out to eat- asked for a gluten free meal- but think something was still in there, and I also ate a very large meal.
I do not have any other diagnosis. In the past  I have had an episode due to too much oils (like curry) and also having too much food- the meal is too big. Recently I have scaled back on all dairy and wheat  because this can create a back up in my digestion that causes immense pain to the extent that in the ER I am often given codeine or vicodin.
The four incidents are the ones in which I have passed out, but thinking back I realize that I have had episodes that have been also triggered by what I thought was menstrual cramps, and that I have had a few at restaurants and have been able to put my head between my legs and let it pass, or like many of you describe have to lie down on the cold tile floor which at least keeps me from passing out.
In all the cases, except for this last one it is usually followed by diarrhea.
I hope you all figure out what works for you.
I am lucky that these are infrequent, and within 45 minutes the whole thing is usually done with. It is clear to me that this is triggered by the food that I eat and I just have to keep tracking it to make sure I avoid certain combinations. Good luck to the rest of you, and thanks for sharing your stories. It is a great relief to know I am not alone and not crazy.
I am 26 years old and have been doing this for about 1 1/2 years now.. I have went to several doctors and have been hospitalized for this!!! Mine started on my sons birthday when all of the sudden I got these extreme stomach and abdomen cramps, then came the cold clammy sweats with dizziness and the vomiting and diarrhea.. I have had at least 5-6 more episodes!!! Last night was one of the worst. My blood pressure gets high from all the pain while I have my episodes. I have had a doctor suggest that it may be intestinal contractions, (which is what my pain feels like sharp contractions). I have been prescribed muscle relaxers to no help. The pain is so intense that when I go to the er I get put on morphine.. I wish this would stop or find a proper diagnosis .. I have had episodes at work and get released due to pain or constant running to the bathroom its ridiculous    
I wonder if these episodes have to do with a food or chemical intolerance and our liver basically rejects it, putting our whole body into attack mode.   The question is, is there any permanent damage?
  Wow!  Have not been to this site in a while and I see many more have added their stories and requested update from me.  I feel obligated to give and update because I feel sharing of knowledge and experiences is how most dilemmas are solved and to also let everyone know I am not dead yet:)
   So here is my update.  This past June (2014)  I had another episode.  This time I remained in bed and was able to get through the episode without passing out.  I have a blood pressure monitor in my house.  I had my wife record my pressure every 2-3 minutes from the onset of this episode.  The first couple of readings my blood pressure was high.  Around 140/90 and pulse rate was in the high 80's.  Then all of a sudden,  I felt the hot feeling come over me and the ringing in my ears.  The next reading was 80/40 with pulse of 120.  Just in a matter of a minute my blood pressure completely bottomed out.  It took about 5 minutes of extreme agitation and discomfort but my pressure began to normalize and then I was able to make it to the pot with explosive bowel movement.
  After this occurence,  I decided to go see a cardiologist to rule out any cardiac rythm issues.  The cardiologist was very understanding.  They performed and echo cardiogram, a tilt test and had me wear a holter monitor for 24 hours.  The results of which were all fine. They did see a few PVC's but the Dr. said they were normal.  However, the Dr. did give me a diagnosis of Situational Syncope.  I kind of scoffed at her when she said that but she told me it was a real diagnosis and she has seen several people with this issue.  She said my trigger was gastrointestinal in nature.  Cant beleive I paid her $1000 bucks to tell me what I already suspected but for some reason it helped hearing it from her.  At least she put a name to it.  
  I have since cut out all fried foods, soft drinks and artifical sweetners and I absolutely do not eat after 7pm.  I am much more relaxed and I have not had any night time abdominal issues much less an episode. Over the years,  I have become very leary of the possible affects of artifical sweetners on neurological issues and anxiety.  I feel one day that there will be hard evidence of the issues that these chemicals cause.  My advice to everyone is to stay aware from fatty,greasy or spicy foods and particularly prior to going to sleep.  If one of these episodes hit you, remain lying down.  Standing up will make the drop in blood pressure much more pronounced.  I think I was very much in danger the night I passed out for 5 minutes.  I had propped myself against the corner of the bathroom and passed out.  If I had not finally fell over flat on the floor and allowed the blood to flow to my brain I may have had a seizure.  Anyway,  I am not as paranoid as I once was of these episodes now that I have a name and how to deal with them better.  LIke many of you, there was a time where I was terrified of going to bed and waking up with one of these attacks.  I hope everyone feels better and that this information helps someone.  I like reading everyones experiences and the information they have gathered because it does help.  Thanks.
Thanks for your update.  Actually, I am relieved that the cardiologist put a name to it.  My trip to the allergist didn't do anything.  In fact, many of our trips to doctors turn up negative.  So at least you have someone who seemed to know and also confirmed the seriousness of it. The trick for us all is to find out what triggers the intense reaction.  For me, it is a kind of yeast intolerance.  And so I avoid yeast products as much as possible.  I have my situation under control by watching carefully what I consume.
I've had about 7 episodes like this in the last 7 years. I'm a 29-year-old female, and like most of you, I've seen the doctor and had blood tests, EKG, etc and found nothing. (The only thing slightly unusual that showed up was positive for ANA -- anti-nuclear antibodies. I saw someone else on this board had that diagnosis too, but I haven't been able to determine if the ANA is related to these episodes). It's definitely clear to me that this is a gastro-intestinal problem. Over time I have learned some things that help slightly. Definitely lie down with your feet propped up as soon as you start feeling the heavy heart palpitations. A cool washcloth on your face can help too. Also, clench the muscles in your hands and arms and legs to try to circulate the blood away from these extremeties and back to your brain. Sometimes the combination of these things will at least keep me from passing out. It's very scary while it's happening, and I know we're all frustrated at not knowing exactly what causes this. I'm so thankful I found this board... just knowing I'm not alone helps. And maybe if we all keep sharing our stories and tips, we'll learn to manage whatever this is.
I have gastroparesis and started taking Iberogast. 30 drops twice a day in water. It helps a lot with nausea and gas. Try this stuff before or during a meal. It cuts through almost immeadiatly.
I am a 47 year old female who has just started having these attacks in the past six months. After the first one my doctor said it must be a virus, which seemed to make sense since it came on suddenly, gave me fever, chills and then exhaustion. But I have had more attacks since then, the latest one was last night, and I had just had one on Thursday night. Mine start in the evening, after dinnertime, horrible painful cramping in my intestines, washroom, regular bm followed immediately by lots of explosive messy stuff, nausea, lightheadness, chills, exhaustion for a day or two. Last night for the first time ever I told my husband I just wanted to lie down on the bathroom floor, so reading all these posts really resonated with me. He wanted to take me to the ER but I felt like an idiot. I barely ate the day of the attack, due to lack of appetite, and I cannot find a common denominator in either what I eat, or what medications I am on, or circumstances such as stress. I had just finished drinking a huge glass of water too, so it couldn't be dehydration. At this point it seems random, but from here on out I am keeping a diary of what I eat and when the attacks occur and all other possible contributing factors to see if I can find my trigger. I know I will need all this info to give my doctor the next time I see him, or else he will say it is just a virus or food poisoning again. The pain is just getting worse every time it happens and it takes longer to recuperate. I hope we can all find answers, this is ridiculous.
Yes, the shots, gel, and these pellets increased my 224 T-level to the mid 700's but that was all it did. My sex drive was even less. No libido at all. Caused anxiety and less sleep which HELLO Doctors! causes less sex drive. My conclusion after 3 Urologists and 1 physician is that they have no clue what to do except scribble the next prescription and get you out the door. Not one of my doctors has even followed up with me to check my status. I'm trying to sleep more, exercise a little, eat healthier, and deal with my anxiety by taking 300 mg of St. John's Wort daily. I don't know what else to do. Viagra works and the woman doesn't complain, but it's not a solution to the problem. In fact it causes more problems. You mentally depend on it and the side effects are horrible. $35.00 a pill without insurance is $$$. I don't use the whole pill since that would kill me. I break it up into quarters.

I seriously feel that there is more to what they are telling us about chemicals in foods and heated plastics that have shut down our systems. Best of luck to you guys because I don't see any help in the near future.
Neurocardiogenic Syncope
Back from MAYO CLINIC, and after many doctors, tests and still ongoing tests, the answer is what I was hoping it would not be, because there is no cure: DEFICATION-RELATED SYNCOPE, SECONDARY TO VAGAL HYPERSTIMULATION, which means, Vasovagel Episodes.  This is an event that starts in the gastric (abdominal) system and is so severe that it hyper stimulates the vagus nerve, triggering this horrific and terrifying episode. The main triggers are stress, dehydration and fatigue, however all of the triggers everyone has previously listed can be actual triggers.... Each person has their own in addition to stress and fatigue.  Alcohol, because it dehydrates the body and large meals, especially late in the day, because then your stomach is processing the food after hours, laying down with no physical activity and your metabolism is at its lowest at this time.  I have also personally found dairy to be an issue - especially if eaten at night.  Dehydration is huge, because it causes your veins to contract and makes it much easier for an episode to occur.  A large glass of water at night is not enough to keep this at bay.  One must continually stay hydrated throughout the course of the day.  I have profound pre-syncope (almost completely fainting) and syncope (completely fainting) during an episode.  Mine last anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes PER EPISODE and typically have 2 - 4  full cycle episodes per occurrence.  This is because once the vagus nerve is stimulated, it continues its course until complete and leaves you exhausted for 3 days.  I cannot function at least, for typically 3 days.  Now, because my syncope is so severe, MAYO has surgically installed a "Loop Recorder" in my chest, by my heart.  It is possible that the syncope part of my episodes are because my heart rate drops to dangerously low levels.  MAYO will monitor my heart during an episode. Once I have another one, two.. however many it takes to get a good look at what happens to my heart during an episode, they will be able to determine if my heart rate goes low enough (sinus bradycardia) warrant a Pacemaker. The purpose of the Pacemaker would be to jump start my heart back to a normal level, thus eliminating or mostly eliminating the syncope part of the episode.  I hope I qualify for a Pacemaker!

I do have a small benign nodule on one of my adrenal glands as well, but this supposedly is not related - ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS?   It was found during a CT Scan.  Keeping an eye on it to make sure there are no changes. If it continues to grow, it will be surgically removed.  I've heard from several people that this can be a contributing factor, but Drs said no.

It IS NOT Epilepsy (been on those Meds, thinking it was a possibility, but kept having them - not Epilepsy), Dumping Syndrome,  Mast Cell Activation, or any of the other things listed here.  IT IS Vasovagal Hyperstimulated Episodes.  I hope this is helpful.  Make yourselves a priority.  If you drink, drink very moderately, get lots of sleep, try to de stress and stay very hydrated.  I'll repost as I know more.  God Bless you all.
Gosh, I forgot to mention one of the most important things!  Because this IS a Gastrointestional issue, ALWAYS keep your bowels moving!  The trauma is also associated with your body having to eliminate, so keep the pipes flowing!  As turner1970 mentioned, it can also be called "situational" or as jodynoelle said, "Neurocardiogenic."  They all mean the same thing as Vasovagel. Whatever your situation, the vagus nerve is over stimulated because of some Gastrointestional trauma.  Keep your stomach happy and as healthy as possible.
This is what happen start two months a go same symptoms like yours y wonder if you found the problem att jose
OMG! Im sitting here reading this and I'm freaking out. I just had an episode last night. I have told my family and friends and they just don't understand that I really thought i was dying. EVERYTHING you said is exactly what happened to me last night. I has completely dripping sweat almost passed out or died one i wasn't sure which was going to happen. I pulled out of it. My daughter was here to get me a cld cloth and a fan. This happens to me about three times a year but last night was hands down the worse one yet. Ive always decribed these episodes as my hurts belly poops..
I agree with all that you have said!  When I was diagnosed with Vasol Vagal episodes I refused to stop there.  I have learned that my episodes are a result of Gastroparesis which is the action of  "the muscles in the wall of your stomach working poorly or not at all. This prevents your stomach from emptying properly" which is fairly simple to determine by a gastro emptying test.  For me it is from being a diabetic for over twenty years, however there can be many causes of Gastroparesis.

I agree that hydration is the key and of course knowing your trigger foods, such as alcohol, high fructose corn syrup, dairy, etc.  For me, my episodes tend to occur during PMS when my hormones are off balance and causes my GP to get worse.  

I have been tested for everything and tried many treatments.  What seems to work for me are a combination of three drugs that I take at the onset of my symptoms which are, anti-imflamatory (Naproxen), anti-spasm, and Zofran for the nausea.  This helps to prevent a full blown episode, however once it starts I can still feel bad until my stomach fully empties but no passing out or violent episodes.  

I know we all are different but it helps to discuss it with people who understand.
I recently saw my GYN, I am 45 year old female with Gastroparesis, GERD, and Diabetes. She explained to me that my GP can get worse usually a week before my period starts due to the increase of the hormone Progesterone. Which basically means that my stomach pretty much stops working during this time.  I have noticed that this is when my episodes tend to occur.  Usually after eating or drinking a trigger food or a large meal my stomach will began to spasm or feel like contractions in the center of my stomach.  My heart will race, I will feel extremely hot, the color will leave my face and I know I'm about to pass out.  I lay on the bathroom floor so not to fall.  I'm usually out for about a minute or two then I wake up to severe vomiting and diarrhea.

So ladies, if you notice that your episodes are happening just before your periods, it may be a result of Gastroparesis.  I also notice that my stomach will bloat and cause me to feel really full.  The hormonal process will cause dehydration and a lack of electrolytes (sometimes I will feel tingling in my hands).
I suffered the same symptoms and talked to a nurse that suggested it was a severe case of being lactose intolerant. I stopped consuming dairy and it did help. changed my diet and ate properly. I used to eat 1 meal a day but a big meal.. As much stomach shrunk it wasn t able to digest all the food so that effected my stomach.

I would drink lots of water when I get the pain to stay hydrated and breathe in and out. If I felt I was going to faint I woould lay on the cold tiles of my bathroom to help my body cool down. and it helps. You should not walk when you feel dizzy. I did that before and busted my head on the bathroom counter woke up seizing and blood splattered. Its been  2 years I think since it last happened. It started when I was in highschool around 14 til I was in  my late 20's. I cut back on the dairy for sure and have not experienced it yet.
Any news CMSP? Would love to hear what they had to say at the Mayo Clinic. Best place to be for gastrointestinal disorder. Lucky. Hope you have a diagnosis and doing well.
It's really comforting to find this forum, I don't feel alone with it any more.

33 y/o male, had it last night, cramps increase in intensity until it's very painful, sweats, pins & needles in hands, slightly faint (though I checked my heart rate and was normal at 70), soles of feet feel weird, then diarrhea which usually relieves a lot of the pain. feel like I'm gonna be sick but never do. If it's bad I collapse on to the cold tiles!!! Within an hour I can usually go to sleep.

Some patterns I've noticed, it often happens after eating out, the combination of over eating (or eating a lot of fat or meat) followed by alcohol. I think the fizzy aspect of beer makes it worse. I usually feel floated like food isn't digesting an hour or two before it happens.

I get it about 5 times a year, always in the evening/night, have done since I was 15 or so. The weird thing I've noticed recently is that I get home, I'm feeling full, I've had alcohol so before bed I think I should probably drink some water, I drink half a glass or so and within 10 minutes it's started, it's like the water triggers it?

For me I definitely think it's related to overloading the stomach/gut, I often have mild diarrhea if I don't let my food go down properly before being physically active (esp in the evening).

Viewing 801-805 comments: