Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 601-722 comments:
Amazing.  Here is my story.  43 year old male.  I have had 3 episodes now. The latest of which occured 3 days ago.  Two of them resulted in rides to the ER in an ambulance and once I was able to make it to the vehicle and my wife took me.  I can not overstate how horrifying these episodes are.  I am sure I am dying each time.  All 3 episodes have occured have eating a large meal and then going to bed shortly after.  About 1hr after falling asleep,  I have sever cramping over my entire left abdomen area.  When I get up to go to the bathroom,  my heart starts racing, blood pressure plummets and I loose all muscle control and break out in horrible cold sweats.  I have difficulty breathing and I am sure I am a dead man.  This latest episode I passed completely out for about 5 minutes.  Scared my wife to death.  When I woke up the police were standing over me in my bathroom.  They made it before the EMTs.  I had soiled my underwear and was about to have a huge bowel movement.  I was able to get up and get to the toilet and had horrible diahreah.  Like always, by the time I am loaded in the ambulance I am 90% recovered and feel like a fool.  Whole episode lasts about 1 hr.  Since I passed completelyh out this time, they admitted me to the hospital and and performed all sorts of GI scans and tests.  All negative so far.  I have blood tests pending to check for Carcinoid tumors but after reading these posts I think the etiology is more benign.  I was beginning to think this was post parandial hypotension but it may be more related to vagus nerve or food allergy.  One thing I want to emphasize is these episodes are violet, horrible and you feel like you are surely dieing. I see many similar episodes on here.  Please let me know if your symptoms are like mine.  So far the attacks only have happened at night.

Wow, reading all of these posts has been informative...I too, was diagnosed w/ IBS, vasovagal syncope but not Hasimoto hypothyroidism (was tested last year w/ normal levels).  And I completely disagree w/ "it's nothing to worry about."  

I am a single mother of a young child & passing out is not cool at all.  I have scraped my face, broken my nose and nearly poked my eye out from fainting and hitting a bathroom cabinet drawer.

I am still searching for remedies.  Stress completely exacerbates all digestion issues and I can not "stomach" any mixed drinks, have a terrible reaction. I agree, high fructose corn syrup is a culprit.  Every time I have celebrated a holiday w/ more than 2 mixed drinks and combined meat or poultry, it's a very bad reaction.

Thank you to all who have posted!  

I hope all have had some success w/ different remedies - can't imagine being the one to watch.  My friends and family have witnessed "episodes" and it's awful.  You really do think your friend is dying! But we're okay in minutes - developed a mantra and stomach massage but it doesn't always work.

I just had an episode about an hour ago! Started feeling nauseous, dizzy and sweating. So I made it to the bathroom and I threw cold water in my face to keep from passing out. Then the diarrhea and vomitting occured.  
it is the worst feeling in the world. In march 2013, I passed out suddenly at work, just before my stomach started hurting and the room started spinning. I never got to eat breakfast. I was admitted to hospital for a week for all kinds of test, only to be told it was vasovagal syncope. No meds were given, just was told to stay hydrated. Well I am still having episodes and I worry every time I eat. I noticed it happens when I eat pasta dishes from restaurants too. I drink pepto bismol like water,but it's only temporary relief. I just want to be normal again. By the way I am a 46 year old female. I see I am not alone and this site has been very helpful! Planning on seeing a GI specialist soon.
I just had an "episode" last night.  This is about the 3rd time in 3 years.  I have IBS and believe for some odd reason my body is reacting or rejecting a certain spice, additive, or food.  I had a sandwich my daughter made and she added a little garlic powder to it as a treat.  She is 16 and a marvelous cook, but I think the garlic powder did it.  I had nothing else to eat but a piece of toast for breakfast.  Also I do suffer from Peptic Ulcer disease.  When I went to bed at 11, I felt like I was suffering from indigestion and took a pepcid.  Got an hour sleep and the pain right under the rib cage (the same pain I took the pepcid for) woke me from a solemn sleep.  I sat there and just curled a pillow under my tummy.  I was completely calm.  My issue starts with the back of my neck getting very hot and sweaty.  That's my indication to go sit on the toilet.  After a few minutes, the hot and sweat starts radiating to my upper back, shoulders, and down.  My body begins to tingle then sweat profusely.  I know enough now to take off my clothes and sit there breathing calmly.  But, the tingling intensifies to the point of almost needle tingling.  I feel very weak and when I stop hearing, my vision almost becomes as though everything is transparent.  I usually occupy my mind by focusing on where the next bead of sweat is rolling down from.  All 3 times I believe I truly am going to pass out.  But, then I have bowel movement.  It's NOT constipation but an almost explosion of diarrhea (sorry for being gross).  Once I start feeling cold from being so wet, I know the episode is almost over.  I was on the toilet an hour at about 3am this morning.  I have looked up things on the internet myself and found people here with what seems to be similar episodes.  I would love to know if indeed it might be a food, spice, or substance that my body is just rejecting rather something that cold be serious.  My worst fear is actually passing out only to wake up naked on the bathroom floor with you know what all over the place.  Good luck to those like me and maybe the next time an episode happens, try to focus on something lime I did since you know eventually you will get better?  I just wish I knew why too?
I had an attack in Jan with all them symptoms plus pain behind left eye. Then again 2 nights ago I had the same
attack. I was very concerned so I went to doctors today,  he  doesn't know what it is. I am afraid cancer might of spread to my brain. I had thyroid and renal cancer already. now these attacks someone HELP me figure it out Please...
All of these things are correct - w/ IBS, starch is a major culprit and spice and milk!  I have IBS and vasovagal syncope and right, nothing you can do but control it.  Stress absolutely makes my situation worse because of the adrenaline released and I have a very weak stomach lining - too much absorption.  

Have you been checked for celiac disease, a gluten allergy?  That makes the stomach behave very badly and almost everything has wheat in it!

Hope you're better.  
Food sensitivity testing can help find the triggers.   My mom had similar symptoms and the Mediator Release Test (also known as the LEAP test) fixed the problem!  
I have severe ibs and abdominal migrains lord only knows what else
Ill get bloated or feel fulll then get severe cramps  then sweating hotflashs sometimes chills chronic diahrea and vomiting lasts for hours even by next day still feel lousy.tired of feeling sick
I'm a 19 year old girl and have had two episodes in two years.
First one was when I was at school and I had just done a high intensity physical exercise. I felt sick and run over to the bushes where I vomited, I then run to the toilet and had lots of diarrhea. I had the worst cramps ever and fell to the ground unable to move pale as ever and I was covered in cold sweat. I then was fine after 30 mins but I was still in shock.

Another time I was at my friends and I just woke up in the middle of the night feeling horribly sick. I run to the kitchen and vomited everywhere then collapsed on the floor. I then had diarrhea and had cold sweats and everything was a blur. I was unable to communicate or respond. After that I was fine.

I haven't been to the doctor because I thought it was just a one off but I'm scared it will happen again?

Anyone have any ideas? :(
I cry when I read your thing U not alone  that means I am not alone with my nighttime nightmare .
You are not alone!!!!! There are several of us out here with the same symptoms! We just don't have a name for it yet or a cure. Like I have mentioned before, I am on Stelara for my Psoriasis. I have noticed that my stomach episodes are better to none since taking it!!!! I don't know if it 's the Stelara and I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same!!!
I have mentioned above that I take Stelara for my Psoriasis and I realized that my tummy troubles seem better to none! I sure wish someone else were taking Stelara so that I could see if they have the same reaction!  I am not suggesting that everyone run out and take Stelara. It is very, very expensive!! Like about $10,000 per shot and I take 4 per year!!! I have taken it for about one and a half years! Haven't had a severe tummy episode in that whole time! Can't really remember any episode during that time!  I was very bad before  and I have had this since about age 18 and I am 55 now! I wish someone else would get one here that has the same experience so maybe we all could have some answers!!!!
Okay so I am glad I found this thread... I have read many comments posted but my symptoms seem to be a bit different... here is my story..

I am 40yr old female. Back in May I had my first episode and last night, my 2nd one. The first one had me at the ER as I was so scared. Not sure the diagnosis was correct though... Dr said it was probably inner ear infection even though I had no pain or Vertigo... below are how my symptoms play out... wondering if anyone has this exact order going on. Mine is definitely not food related as the 1st attack I had not eaten anything that day yet.

First I get strong cramping feeling which causes the feeling of having to go to the bathroom.
My BM will start out normal and then go to diarrehea.
Then will start the extreme cold sweats, dizziness and a strong ringing in only 1 ear.
Last night I did pass out for a few seconds while on the toilet.
I get extremely pale and the ringing takes over the 1 ear causing the dizziness to get worse. Then comes the vomiting which is constant until the ringing and dizziness stop. The cramps have stopped and the sweating. My color returns a bit but the episode is not over.
Episodes last a few hours and then go away. The ringing in my ear can only be described as my ear sounds like it is in a tunnel or under water.
Again, the 1st time this happened was mid-afternoon and I had not had anything to eat that day and only drank water with no new foods the day before. Last night, I had eaten a few things throughout the day but again nothing new.

This has got to be one of the worst feelings I have ever experienced and scary. Passing out seems like a saving grace when I am not feeling like I am going to die.
Afterwards, I am extremely weak and tired and will just sleep for hours.

I would love an answer as to what is causing this. I noticed most people had the symptoms stop after the diarrehea and for me that is not the case, that part is the easier one it gets worse when the dizziness kicks in and I can't stop vomiting.
My episodes are almost always at night!  Mine last hours and I too have the normal bowel movement and then the watery diarrhea. The cramping is very bad.  The dizziness and the sweating are terrible.  I have had to lay on the cold tile floor just to stay upright! I find that if a turn on the water in the sink and keep my hand in the running water I stay conscious. If I look in the mirror I am a sheet of white and my eyes are bloodshot.  It scares me to look in the mirror as it's like a horror film! It is something that makes you beg that it either quits or just takes me to heaven! The diarrhea is so terribly smelly too! It's like something rotting inside of you!!! Sorry for the gory details! Sorry you have it too!  And yes there seems to be some variations but for the most part we are all the same!
   I'm not sure what I have however i was hoping i could find some help on this blog. It first started around 22 only when i mixed alcohol and citrus or acidic type drinks together. Now it has happened 3 times in the past 7 months and I'm unsure of the cause, or what it is.
   First. Extreme unbearable stomach pain. Like someone threw a firecracker down into my stomach lining and it exploded. Unfortunately for me. This pain wont subside by going to the restroom. In fact, I cannot use the restroom while having these pains no matter how hard i try. This ridiculous amount of pain tends to last anywhere from 6 - 12 hours. Mostly starts to occur around 8pm when it does happen. I cannot sleep. The pain forces me to stay awake. I have taken 4 or 5 sleeping pills before to try to just sleep through it, but to no avail. The pain is simply too much to fall asleep through no matter how exhausted I am. I have only gotten any kind of pain relief once when i took a half of a methadone pill. When the pain finally starts subsiding I am able to fall into a deep sleep. When i wake up I feel completely bruised internally. Now i run to the restroom and have a bowel movement that completely evacuates my stomach. Twice, the stool has been black. Other times it has ranged from Diarrhea liquid type, to mucous like, to completely normal, to hard looking small round pellets.
   After this happens i feel slightly bruised for a day or two more. Then it goes away. Like it never happened. I can eat anything and nothing bothers me. I can eat extremely spicy food, regular food, whatever, it doesn't matter. There seems to be no correlation except alcohol + citrus which i no longer do obviously lol. And it stays away until suddenly it hits again . For no reason. The time frames are very random and very infrequent.
   I should note a couple things. First, I'm now 25, this started when i was 22. After it occured three times in a row from citrus + alcohol, i never drank another fruity mixed drink again. That was at 23. It happened once more at 23 for no reason. Once more at 24 for no reason. Now 3 episodes within 7 months.
   Side Symptoms. I fart all the time (30 times a day at least) regardless of what i eat and if i hold the farts in for any long amount of time i begin to hurt inside again so i simply let them go. (60% of the time these farts are very foul smelling) Another side symptom tends to be that alot of my regular defecation is liquid. (about 1/3 of the time)
I too have had the basically the same. I can be perfectly fine and all of a sudden I feel so hot and sweat just pours off of me.  The stomach pain is so severe that it makes me pass out. My speech is slurred and have a hard time communicating  When I get to the hospital my white blood count us so high they usually admit me.  Fill me up with antibiotics, pain killers and send me home after a few days.  I hate it...never know when its gonna hit...so annoying. I just had my 4 th episode last week. The recovery period is hard takes about a week before I can return to work. I am a 46 year old female never sick before this started.
Finally!  After much searching the internet, I have finally found those that suffer from the same scary episodes that I have...and that's exactly what I call them..."episodes" and I don't know what else it is.  I have mentioned this reoccurring problem to several PCP's over the past 15 years, but they have no clue what the problem could be, nor have I ever been referred to any specialists.  I have been at a complete loss and have just lived with it since they only happen a few times a year.  They began when I was in my early 20s and seemed to have been worse then.  As I have gotten into my 30s, they don't seem to be as severe.

The episodes always occurred within a few hours of going to bed a night.  I will be awakened by stomach cramps that progressively get worse.  I make my way to the bathroom and by that time the cramps are literally unbearable.  I break out in a cold sweat and feel like I will pass out at any minute.  I'm then attacked by severe diarrhea, and once that happens the stomach cramps subside and, while white as a ghost, I seem to be perfectly fine.  The entire things lasts no longer than 30 minutes.  

These occurrences were extremely frightening at first, but I guess after years of dealing with it, I have gotten to used to them.  I always know when an attack is coming and brace myself by praying it will be quick.  

I haven't been able to pinpoint it to anything that I have eaten as it happens regardless of what I have had for dinner.  The interesting thing is that it ONLY happens a few hours after going to sleep and has never happened during the day or before going to bed.
To all of you who have the same symptoms as myself and the majority of members here:

Starts w/ abdominal pain, urge to use the bathroom
Cold sweats, sweating profusely
Dizziness
Clammy feeling
Sometimes headache
Explosive diarrhea, usually more than once, then relief

I have gone through about 15 of these episodes, usually late night or early morning.  This morning for the first time, I experienced it while driving daughter to school.  Couldn't lie on ground like I usually do to snap out of the fainting spell.  Instead, blacked out while driving and hit a wall.  Good thing we were driving only 5 mph.

LESSON LEARNED:
If you know an attack is coming while driving, pull over right away and call 911.  Thought I could get through the fainting episode, but the blackout happened really fast!  Know your limits.
I have just had another episode and I think that I am managing to narrow it down to certain foods, but I'm not sure yet. I don't like the idea of having to go through this pain every time just to test what food I can and can't eat.
I haven't had an episode in a few months but I have had them on and off for around 13 years, and I'm only 23. I have been to the doctors about it previously, when I was around 16. He put me on tablets that you take 30 minutes before you eat and sachets of fybogel twice a day. They didn't seem to work but it calmed down for a while. In the past year how often I end up with stomach cramps, diarrhoea, sweating, hearing loss and dizziness, all in a 20 minute spell has increased so I think I will be going back to the doctors soon. I'm glad I'm not the only one and I hope that we can all find something to help us soon
I am 16 year old female. I've been on celexa for a while about 9 months. I didn't experience any significant side effects when i first started to take the drug. Anyway about 2 months ago, i experienced my first attack. I woke up around 6 in the morning feeling discomfort and and a little gassy in mty abdomen. I went to the bathroom to try and relieve myself and suddenly this sudden cold rush of pain spread all around my body. i could feel my blood pressure drop very fast and drastically. I wasnt able to relieve myself so i went to my parents room all sweaty and pale and feeling like i was going to faint any moment. i went to the ER and they couldnt find out wat was wrong with me. While in the hospital, I finally was able to relieve myself and doing so made me feel a ton better! My stool was very watery almost like a paste. The second time it happened was about 3 weeks ago. i woke up at 4:00 am felt the same discomfort, tried to do number 2. this time i threw up pretty much everythign i ate that day. after that i did diaherea. all that took about 45 mins and i was so pale at the end of it. the 3rd time it happened was 3 nights ago. i woke up at 3:00 am feeling naseous and i knew it was gonna happen again. i felt my blood pressure drop so i layed in that position that helps and also drank some salt water. that helped a bit. later on i did diarrhea. i didnt throw up this time and i went to bed with a tummy ache. now everytime i go to bed i feel nauseous and im scared that one of these episodes happening again.
Hi, this happens to me swell. i am a 26 year old female and this has been happening since i was 11 years old.  I just had an episode last night and honestly it is the most excruciating pain ever!!!! I cannot stress that enough, you truly feel like you are going to die and i think i have even said that out loud before. each time this happens i faint twice in a row.  My body gets very hot and in minutes i am soaking wet and my heart beat is un controllable.  I turn white as a ghost and my hands and feet sometimes tense up.  After what feels like an enternity and paramedics are now in my washroom with me i finally have a bowel movement.  After this, the pain tends to lighten up and i am also super embarrassed considering i seem fine now and the paramedics just witnessed what looked like i was possessed with the devil on the toilet.  I have been tested over and over cat scans ultra sounds you name it.  Nothing shows up, family doctor thinks its colonic spasms.  Have they found out whats wrong you with you?
well, as everyone was mentioning about food I thought it may had affected me somehow, but then I remembered I took a Centrum pill, and it has iron as well, maybe it could be related to these 2 things + stress - i've been pretty stressed lately, not sure about you.
Fainting is something serious, it happens when there is no oxygen going to your brain, and it's hard to know how long we've fainted for, it can cause something even worse. I live by myself and now I'm considering sharing an apartment in case something like this happens again. I'll start changing some habits and see if I can get away of this thing! Hope you get better!
After several episodes shortly after eating, usually within an hour, at first a tightness in my throat, eyes becoming blood shoot red, heart beginning to race, then rumblings in my stomach, next I begin to sweat  profusly and all the above symptoms get more intense.  If I can't get somewhere and turn the A/C down really low and lie down, I have even passed out. Sometimes my hands begin to tingle and they have also become stiff and almost paralyzed. At first I can not have a BM even though i feel like I am going to explode, then it begins.  Diarrhea and sometimes vomiting.  I have even had to crawl to the shower because I am too sick to stand.  In the show I lie there and vomit and have diarrhea simultaneously.  When I begin to eliminate all in my digestive and intestinal tract the other symptoms subside.  The diarrhea has a horrible distinctive odor.  After many doctors and test, through my own research, I am absolutely positive the culprit is High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Once reading labels and eliminating HFC.  I do not have the attacks.
Read my post, it may be you can not tolerate high fructose Corn Syrup like me.  I went to doctor after doctor, and had lots of test, finally after an episode one night I prayed to God to help me find the answer, I was afraid to eat it i were not going to be at home.  HFC is in so many things these days. Also Sorbitol that is found in some candies and chewing gum has also caused these same symptoms.  After cutting those things out of my diet, I have no more attacks.  Good luck, it is awful, both painful to experience and embarssing if you are away from  home.
After doctors and test and no results, my own research i am positive High Fructose corn syrup is the culprit.  regular Corn syrup is fine, but HFC is molecularly altered, it is in lots of things these days, the manufacturers say there is no diffenece but there is for me, also Soritol found in many things has the same effect.
So glad I found this blogspot ... phew didn't know I had so many fellow sufferers. Thanx for sharing everyone. Here's my version of the 'episodes':

I'm a 27-year old female, and have had 5 or 6 of these episodes. I had my first episode at 18. I was hanging out with some friends in the sun, when suddenly my vision started blurring, and my hearing started going fuzzy. After a few minutes I couldn't see or hear my friends anymore, nor could I move. If I recall correctly, my stomach had some minor pains, but nothing to overbearing. My friends had to carry me to the car, and drive me home, but when I arrived home - I was fine. At first I thought it might have been a heat stroke, but then the episodes started recurring.

The majority of them happened at night/early hours of the morning. I wake up with a start, and find myself unable to see or hear properly and then losing control of myself - feel really embarrassed after my drama episodes - as I call it. After my blurred vision and fuzzy hearing, I get hot sweats, then cold sweats, I struggle to breathe, and have the instant urge to use the toilet for a number 2. But at the same time I feel like throwing up, but nothing comes out. Every time I try to get up to move, I make it a couple of steps and end up falling to the ground. I've passed out in the bathroom, and on one occasion, I nearly hit a sharp corner (thank God I didn't), but I can't recall some of the things that happened to me during this time. I have found that cool surfaces/cold water seems to ease the symptoms, but it doesn't stop the episode. After taking an anti-spasmodic pill - I'm fine and it seems as though nothing happened to me except I have many bumps on my head from passing out.

My last incident happened a day ago after eating spice cookies and drinking a fizzy drink - but it started with a sharp windy type of pain in the centre area between my lungs, then there was terrible stomach pain and I had to rush to the toilet, had a number 2 again but the pain didn't subside, but at least I did not pass out. An hour later I managed to take an anti-spasmodic pill, and everything went back to normal (slowly though).

Are there any medical people out there that might be able to help? I haven't consulted with any doctors yet, because I am not sure how to start explaining this to them ... People have suggested plenty of things from low blood sugar to epilepsy. I've also had a look at the colonic spasms, but this still doesn't account for the blackouts. I'm really freaked out by my episodes because like many of you say it truly feels like you're dying. I also suffer from asthma, so these stomach drama episodes might cause worse problems for me. Any help is appreciated.
I too feel the pain of each and every one of you. This same thing happens to me many times a year and has been happening since i was a young teenager. I am now 37yrs. old.  Its always the same, wake up suddenly in the middle of the night with severe stomach cramps and the urge to have a bm. Nausea sets in followed by hot flashes, sweating, dizziness. My ears start to ring and my vision becomes blurry. I try to keep it together, undress and put cold wet cloths on my neck, chest and back, to try to cool myself down.   I'm always afraid I will pass out on the bathroom floor and hurt myself or embarrass myself if my family, children were to find me, naked, soiled, and sick laying there. It all lasts between 30 and 60 minutes per episode. I wish I knew what was happening to me especially now because my oldest daughter is now experiencing the same episodes and just as frequently as I am. I honestly didnt realize this was something experienced by so many. I see so many of the comments here refer to food allergies, thats not the case with me. After many years of episodes, I have found no connection between what I am eating and the following episodes. I have had tests, bloodwork, urine. Seen a neurologist, and heart specialist.  Perhaps one day there will be a name for it and a treatment. Till then we suffer alone, in the middle of the night, on our toilets. .. :(
I am relieved to see that there are other people with the same symptoms as I have been experiencing. My condition started out over 30 years ago when I was diagnosed with IBS. The difference in my current symptoms and the IBS symptoms is that with IBS I did not experience the sweating, fainting, breathing difficulty and extreme loss of muscle control. With IBS I would experience the severe abdominal cramping and watery diarrhea, then my symptoms would improve after evacuating my bowels. I have always been able to handle my symptoms until the last episode five days ago. These symptoms were the most severe and I ended up in the ER, then admitted to the hospital for four days. My diagnosis was Ulcerative Colitis. My most recent episode differed with the addition of severe bleeding with diarrhea. Other than that addition I had the same symptoms as most everyone else reported in this blog. Lower abdominal cramping with increased intensity, stomach pain and nausea, weakness, hot feeling with cold sweats that saturated everything I was wearing, blacking out but staying upright, shortness of breath, arms and legs became so heavy I could not lift them, after about 30 minutes I was finally able to begin emptying my bowels; first regular then watery diarrhea. Then instead of feeling better (as I usually feel) I continued to have diarrhea which had already turned to blood, the abdominal pain was unbearable, and there was no way I could sit down or get comfortable. By the time I went to the ER I had been sick for about five hours and my blood tests showed very high white blood cell count and on the verge of renal failure. The sad thing about this is that these episodes have been occurring for the past two years (without the bleeding, of course) and I had sought out medical attention with no help. The Gastroenterologist I saw this summer did a Colonoscopy and blood tests and found no cause for my symptoms, she said it must by IBS.
I do have several auto-immune issues and was on Enbrel until January of this year. Since going off of this biologic medication I have had two episodes. I have an appointment to follow up with a doctor next week and will check back if I can find out any new information that might offer something for your doctor to at least test for. I hope everyone finds some relieve from their symptoms, no one deserves to have to experience this kind of pain and suffering.
Same symptoms, same relief as most after diarrhea.  Weird.  I do have multiple auto-immune diseases, but don't eat any sugars, refined or unrefined, no sodas, no corn syrups, just raw veggie, or steamed veggie diet right now.  I do a totally vegan diet.  I don't do any complex carbohydrates either right now.  So imagine my shock and horror at this episode when all I had eaten was some zucchini?!?! I had recent allergic symptoms that I thought was maybe a cold, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Just the sudden wave of nausea, sweating then the normal bowel movement, and the explosive watery diarrhea that went on for what seemed like forever!  I was so weak after, I don't even remember getting in the bed.  But here I am awake, and in bed wondering where the time went!!!  I am totally confused by this one.  I could barely get up the stairs to make it to the restroom when the wave started.  This is all interesting and confusing.  Praying for all!!!
I have been suffering for years with these same symptoms.  After passing out several times I decided to keep a diary of everything I had eaten before an episode.  After 2 years of tracking, the damn culprit turned out to be Canola Oil.  I would only get sick after eating in a restaurant, because I have never used that oil.  I started calling the restaurants and finding out how they cooked their food and it was always Canola.  I have been very careful when I go out to eat because lots of restaurants are using this oil because it does not burn at high temperature and it is cheap.  Had a colonoscopy after one of my attacks and doctor said that I have colitis and probably when the oil gets to that part of my intestine, it does not digest.  I did have an attack recently and I know I had not eaten any canola so now after 10 years of managing these attacks, I may have to begin again.  By the way, if I take 2 Immodium the minute I feel the cramping, it helps tremendously.  Last attack I could not find my pills and with the anxiousness of knowing what was happening, my blood pressure dropped and I passed out.  I also keep a beta blocker beside my bed  to help with the heart palpitations.  I also cannot get relief unless I completely undress and lie on the cold tile floor.  My husband really doesn't understand and kind of makes fun of me, but I don't care.  So glad  to hear of others having this problem.  Makes me leary of doctors, because they find it to be a guessing game.  I found out my problem, not my doctor.
I have been suffering from this problem for about 10 years. Sometimes I have 2-3 episodes a year and sometimes I don't have any for a few years. I have no idea what is causing this, possibly fatty food? Not sure though.

I just had my third episode in the past year about 5 days ago.This one was the worst so far. I always start with severe lower abdominal pain. I know it's coming and make it to the toilet where I start sweating profusely. I usually have to take all my clothes off and lay on the floor. Sometimes I can make it back to the toilet but lately I haven't been able to because I know I will pass out if I get up. The clean up is the worst! My attacks have been happening during the day lately. This was the first one where my husband was home, poor guy!

This was also the first time I went to the hospital. I think I passed out for a minute while on the floor but what sent me to the emergency room was what appeared to be an allergic reaction to something. When I could stand again I noticed that my lips were swollen and my throat felt like someone had tried to strangle me, I could hardly swallow. I took a benadryl and we went to the emergency room. I was given prednisone and another histamine blocker in the ER. I also had diarrhea a few times while I was there. They called it an allergic reaction but I don't know.

Has anybody else had the allergic reaction part before? Not sure if this is all related or just bad timing.
Wow, I can't believe I am reading all this!!  This is EXACTLY whats been happening to me!!  I had an attack yesterday, first time in a few years!!  I ate lunch, a grilled chicken sandwich and a sweet tea from Wendys. Have had that a million times before with no problem!!!  I went back to work then began getting severe abdominal cramps.  I went to the bathroom and while I sat on the toilet the cramps got worse.  It had been a few years since I had an attack like this, but I felt the familiar light-headed fogginess and new that I might faint.  I didn't want to faint as I needed to stay on the toilet!!!!  TOO LATE!!!!  After I came too, I slowly got up feeling weak.  I was sweaty and clammy and shaky.  I had terrible diahhrea also.  This has happened to me before about 6 or 7 times.  No diagnosis, no warning.  I have already eliminated foods that I thought may be triggers such as steak, burgers, fried foods, and pork.  I have never had a problem with chicken tho!!!   What is this???????
Hi and I am very sorry that you have this same problem.  I am very curious to know if while on Enbrel, you had any attacks???? I too have auto immune issues and I have been on Stelara for a little over one year. I can't remember having an episode while taking Stelara. May be a slight one, but not to the extent that I was having.   I wonder if the bilogics are  doing something to help us??????????Any one else on Biologic drugs and have this other horrible problem?????
I have been posting and following in this thread for a few years now. I continue to have episodes but i wanted to give you guys some tips I discovered to manage the pain. Like all of you, I start getting the cramps, which leads to intense waves of pain, light headed sensation, blood pressure dropping, heart racing, tingling in hands/feet, occasional fainting. I initially have trouble having a BM at first, but when it eventually comes out, a bit of relief follows. It's usually a semi-hard bowel movement at first, then followed by diarrhea.

I've been getting these episodes progressively more as I age. I am a 26 year old male who is in good/average health. I suffer from social anxiety disorder and I know that it plays a role in all of this. If I begin to feel a stomach cramp when I'm out of the house, I instantly start to panic. I feel much more comfortable when I'm having an episode at home. However, my anxiety still intensifies knowing what is about to happen. I'm fairly certain that stress and anxiety encourage the fainting sensation that many of us feel during an episode. It also has to do with the vasovagal nerve, which causes us to faint. When we have extreme pain like this, the nerve is triggered and the blood rushes out of our heads and pools in our feet. That is why we feel like fainting during these episodes. Here are a few tips that help me deal and prevent future episodes.

As soon as I start to feel ANY pain in my stomach, I immediately take some Pepto Bismol or Immodium. If I take it early on in the episode, I can sometimes eliminate the pain completely. I will end up having a bit of diarrhea later on, but with much less pain. Knowing that I have Pepto Bismol or Immodium around helps me deal with my anxiety during the episode. However, I take the medicine too late and having a full fledged episode is inevitable. The first step to dealing with the pain is to lay down on a cold surface and keep your legs raised. I prefer to lay on my bathroom tile and hold my legs up against the wall. This prevents the blood from pooling in your legs and will fight the fainting sensation. It is also crucial to keep as cold as possible, either by laying near air conditioning or placing a cold wet towel on yourself. I will eventually have some serious pain and a bowel movement, but these tips help make the process easier. While I am on the toilet, I will constantly put cold water on my face and back of my neck. It also helps to keep your hand under cold running water if your toilet is close enough to the sink.

I have begun a food diary in hopes to find a pattern with my episodes. I will especially be on the lookout to see if canola oil or high fructose corn syrup is present in any of the foods I eat. I'm also doing a lot of research on vasovagal syncope, which I believe describes our symptoms quite well.

Thanks,
Charles
Hello,  I've been suffering with these 'attacks' for about 2 yrs.  It really comes on fast.  Starts with cramping but not the usual cramping I would experience.  I know it's going to be bad if the pain is just above my bellybutton.  I start to get hot and sweaty and I have to sit on the toilet immediately.  I will have diarrhea but that doesn't make the pain go away.  The pain intensifies and then I do not have the strength/energy to sit anymore so I roll onto the floor.  This is the weird part...I will start to get a tingly feeling which starts at my shoulders and works its way down to my finger tips...very scary.  One time I even had an instance where the tingling in my hands was very strong and then both my thumbs stuck to the sides of my hands and I could not pry them back off.  I was so scared!  Then that slowly goes away and within an hour the pain is subsiding too but it seems to take forever to go away.  I will start to get cold from all the sweating.  I'm very weak but I slowly make my way back to bed to find a comfortable position.  I have never fainted. I am vegetarian but think that maybe dairy is doing this to me.  Has anyone ever experienced this hand thing that happened to me?
For at least 4 years or so,I have had pain come suddenly in my Lower abdomen,during that time any kind of wind or even ac of anything like that will make me cramp worse,also get the feeling of throwing up really bad but I never throw up,the pain can come at any time of the day and it used to be around my menstrual time,once I went to the bathroom my first stool was normal,then the pain would go away and come right back within a few minutes and I would have diarreah (diarrhea) then i would be back in the bathroom and this time it was very watery and also mucusy,sometimes a good 5 or 6 times in the bathroom would make me feel better but the next day I would still have the after shock sort of speak and my stomach would still act up.but it wasnt pains like that,lately I used a heating pad for the pain,its like a weakness feeling in my lower abdomen,Sometimes I noticed I get a bit of fever was well during the time of the cramps,but once the cramp goes away the fever goes away too,what could this be?I have not been to a doctor about this issue in particular in a very long time.sometimes I can feel it coming because it comes in as a bit of weakness in the lower abdomen I am 25 years old no children,I had a cyst about 3 years ago or so in my right ovary,it went away on its own after months and years.Recently I have been having this episode every day for the last week once a day and it is usually in the evening time after dinner,I eat sometimes around 7pm or so because my husband doesnt get off until 6 30 sometimes.anyone ever had the same symptoms??or similar??i would like to know if there is a name for this attack and what could cause it.
It is so nice to finally know this is not unique. I too have suffered these episodes since about 20 almost on a monthly basis. Many drs and naturopaths, food journals to never find a coomon denominator. Changing my diet by restricting wheat and dairy most of the time  has helped immensely. I have inly had approx 4 episodes in three years! It tends to always happen when i have been slightly constipated for a few days prior. I am not sure what causes it for sure but I do agree that it is definitely a vagal response from pressure in the bowel. I avoid passing out by positioning my self on the toliet so my head is wedged against the wall. This will avoid hurting myself if i pass out. I just wish I truly knew what actually causes this so i can avoid this feeling like I am going to die while going through one of these unusual epiisodes. Thanks to everyone for sharing as these forums help immensely where no physician has been able to.
I am so happy that I found this forum! I had my first bout a little over 3 years ago when I was 28. Since then, it has happened only a handful of times. The last one happened 2 years ago when I was pregnant and that the first time I actually fainted. The only explanation that I got from doctors and other health care professionals is IBD, which I knew it wasn't (I work as a researcher on IBD) and was later confirmed. I was pretty much told that my pregnancy hormones had me overreacting and exaggerating my symptoms. Nevertheless, this happened again post-pregnancy, which again was dismissed. At that point, I decided to do my own research. Looking back at these incidents, I am convinced that it was due to a combination of constipation and a severe food intolerance, in my case, lactose intolerance.
Each and every time it happened, I consumed either coffee from Starbucks (I am convinced that those non-dairy canisters contain whole milk) or ice cream. However, it's not just lactose intolerance by itself considering I've suffered its symptoms for over 10 years and the intensity of symptoms are like night and day. Knowing that lactose intolerance alone, I've also realized that I was constipated (over a week between bowel movements) during these times. Since I noticed these patterns, I've avoided all dairy products and tried to have more frequent bowel movements and I haven't had a problem since. Reading through these posts, I think IBD is being overly and misdiagnosed. Let's be real, we all have some sort of inflammation in our bowels considering that it is the most dirtiest part of our body. Furthermore, the actual diagnosis is subjective. So, please do your own research and not rely on so much on doctors and their diagnoses.  
Ughhh I cannot tell you how  many times I have had an attack and spent hours later trying to figure out what this is.  I'm 27y/o, female, no children, and I experience dizziness, nausea, hot/cold sweats, clamminess, fainting, and diarrhea on the onset of my period.  Not every time (thank god!) but probably 5 or 6 times since I was 13.  That being said I think what so many of us are describing might be VASOVAGAL SYNCOPE. Where enough blood doesn't get to your brain and you feel all the symptoms of fainting. This would be brought on by different things for different people but painful menstruation/cramps is definitely a cause. Please check out this link, ihttp://www.bhhsnetwork.nhs.uk/userfiles/file/StandardsGuidelines/ArrhythmiaGuidance/Patient%20Info%20-%20Vasovagal%20syncope.pdf
ts legit (just a PDF) and explains a LOT of what I think we've been describing as well as methods to keep it in check and shorten an attack.  I've never actually posted on one of these things before but if I can help explain the cause of this INSANELY painful experience for even one person it will be well worth it.  Let me know if you think the article fits you and I'll be making my MD appt!  Take Care All!, Melissa
I've experienced the same symptoms everyone else mentioned.  One spell resulted in fainting and falling face first onto the tile.  I went through a battery of tests, none of which revealed anything.  I was referred to a cardiologist who performed a tilt table test.  10 minutes into the test, I fainted and my heart stopped for 14 seconds.  I was diagnosed with cardio neurogenic syncope and they highly recommended I get a pacemaker.  I sought a second opinion from the Cleveland Clinic Syncope and Autonomic Disorders Clinic.  They also recommended a pacemaker.  At that point I hadn't had another episode and I chose to hold off.  I've recently started experiencing the symptoms again however I haven't passed out again.

I did a ton of research when I was first diagnosed but only just now found this forum.  It's really nice to read that there are other people out there who experience this.  I'm concerned that a pacemaker may not be the option.  I just wish there was a treatment for this.  

Below is an article I stumbled on when I first started experiencing this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1768202/
Disclaimer - I am not the Cleveland Clinic.  I have requested a new username.
I too have had these crazy episodes 3 times.they are the scariest thing I have experienced.mine always happen in the morning.i am a 35 female with no children.one piece of advice I can offer is when the sweating starts....apply an ice pack to the back of your neck.this made a huge difference in the length of time each attack lasted for me. i usually experience 4 or 5 attacks per episode.i have a doctors appointment this week.i will update any new info
I'm sad but yet happy that I'm not the only one like this. I am 56 years old and my problems started right after my first period. Since then I had these horrible episodes every month with my period. Then after my baby it went to once a year. I even passed out while I was pregnant, but did not have to go to the bathroom. Then the day of my delivery. I passed out totally. It scared the doctors so bad they called a COR. Now, I take tums every night, and every other night I take Tylenol or Ibuprofen. This pass January I did not take my tums and had a bad episode. It took me all day to recover. We all need answers!!!! I know that certain foods like milk, ice cream, wheat, eggs, peanut butter, and cheese will set me off.
I am so glad I found this as I also have these episodes for the past 14 years and I am now 39.  I read about 550 of the posts and was up till about 3am reading them.  My last episode came on the fastest.  I felt the stomach gurgle, then felt the abdomen pain that takes your breath away.  You can't talk, sweat, have to pour water on yourself or use a cold wet rag to keep from passing out.  Lay on the floor, strip, which is either before, during, and/or after.  During this you feel nausea/vomit and the same case is the diarrhea.  Pulse can either be slow/fast and within an hour it is done with exhaustion to follow.  The last time, which was a first my left hand locked up which was new.  I am in the medical field but this, I can NOT figure out and neither can the doctors.  It isn't celiac disease because they can figure that out.  I can eat wheat have an episode or not.  I can eat/drink dairy, have an episode or not.  I can eat fatty food, msg, you name it and I can have an episode or not.  The episodes can happen frequently or months or longer can pass.  The only consistency is the inconsistency.  Some of the other posts on here are similar but not the same thing although they can mimic our symptoms.  I don't have an allergy, but others that have the same symptoms and can take benadryl, this is not the same.  Those posts which can't eat wheat, it is not the same symptom.  Those are different diseases/symptoms.  What I have found is those that have IBS, Crohn's disease, or ulcerative colitis, they are very similar.  It can be hard to diagnose and is often diagnosed wrong or missed frequently.  IBS as un pretty as it is can be DEBILITATINGLY painful and it's symptoms are severe and horrible.  It can send you to the ER and people make fun of it like it isn't severe and it's funny but it is not.  Find a doctor that has EXTREME experience in IBS, Crohn's disease, and UC if you have these symptoms.  They describe attacks that come on sudden, may not have episodes for months or longer, etc.  At times non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is tied into this.  Yes, fatty foods can trigger but they cannot put a finger on specific foods due to it differing from person to person and day to day.  What you can eat one day, you can't eat the rest.  I am so glad I found this site because I thought I was the only one with these sudden crazy symptoms.  To add, another thing that can cause some CRAZY symptoms can be from sleep apnea, try having a sleep study.
Let me echo what everyone else says... such a gift to finally find other people who experience this.

Without going through my symptoms in detail - because they are virtually identical with those outlined in everyone's post, I had my first episode around 13, I'm now 44.  Usually a couple of times a year, this year I had my 5th episode today.  (Today, on a business trip in asia, i fainted in a hotel lobby - fortunately someone picked me up so I could get to a bathroom in time...)

Mine always happens with my menstrual period.  While I was really interested to find men on this forum, I think mine is triggered by a combination of pain and hormonal changes (drop in estrogen and progesterone? or maybe dominance of the hormones that are left when estrogen and progesterone fall off) I don't think it's pain alone as I've had surgery took minimal drugs before and no GI/ fainting issues, and it seems if I'm really aggressive about taking advil during my cycle I tend not to get sick.

In my teens was taken to every kind of doctor - GI, Ob/ Gyn - and the pill had seemed to stop the symptoms but also made me miserable so I've generally spent my adult life off of the pill and instead running to the bathroom and nearly passing out several times a year... I'm pretty sure mine isn't food related - I've made radical changes to my diet - eliminating all processed foods and meat and sugar and dairy and had no impact on this.

Lastly, really have to say again how grateful I am - particularly to the folks who posted about lying on the bathroom floor is the only way you can get comfortable.  I'm sure you all know how weird I thought I was but now I know i'm not weird (or at least because of this :)

So last words.  thank you. might be hormonal - which might be more dominant in women but could also be men,   and like a few of you have said said managing the trigger (tums, pepto bismol, for me advil) seems to help stop the whole syndrome from starting.

I am glad to find other like me. I've had this attack four times.  The first one was the worst because it was the most painful--caused from the vomiting and diarrhea at the same time.  I felt like I was dying and I probably was.  I was in so much pain I couldn't even speak. The sweating was so serious it was like my body was purging fluid out of every orifice of my body. Luckily my mother was around who revived me with crushed ice.

What I have learned from this thread is that this attack seems to be an allergic reaction.  My doctor thought my attack was an allergic reaction to yeast.  And actually, for me, it makes sense. I've always had a yeast allergy.  Just smelling my father baking bread made me so nauseous I had to leave the house.  But consuming yeast products didn't give me this attack until I was in my late 20s.   The scary thing for me is that not everything with yeast in it makes me sick.  Pizza dough and beer on draft are suspects as well as frozen doughs like Pepperidge Farms.  So I never really know if a certain kind of pizza or beer will be the kiss of death.

A question I have for all of you is this: do you tend to have your attack/ episode during hot weather?  Each time I have had my attack it has been in June-August.  I wonder if the heat does something, perhaps it is especially bad with my yeast allergy.  And you know I always loved drinking a cold beer in hot weather :(  Not any more.  The last time I had an attack it was after eating and drinking at a brewery in Salem, MA.  I was with a beer connoisseur and I asked him to order me a beer.  He picked one that the menu said was "yeasty."  I didn't think drinking beer would give me this attack... but it did!  After walking around for about 1/2 hour or so, I had to run into a pub... have the usual... and then I actually passed out!  I FAINTED alone in the bathroom stall.  I woke up on the floor.  I realized later after drinking tons of water that I had hit my head and chipped a tooth from my fainting.  FML!!!

When I went to the doctor after my last attack, she diagnosed me with vasovagal syncope.  It didn't really ease my worries though.  I wish there was something written up about this kind of allergy.  If and when this happens again, probably when I accidentally drink a yeasty beer or eat yeasty pizza dough, I wonder if I will have the guts to call an ambulance?  Should I?  It comes upon me so fast and it can cause so much pain that I can hardly move, I wouldn't want anyone to move me.  Has anyone gone to the hospital during an attack or right after?  Did the hospital help?
I'm 30 years of age and 17 weeks pregnant. I have been suffering with these episodes since i was 16. My GP always put it down to that time of month or when I was ovulating. I never got an episode when I was pregnant with my first child and stopped for a year after having her and then they started again. But now I am having an episode every 2 to 3 weeks. My last one was Monday evening and lasted three and half hours, the stomach cramps didn't go and got worse later on in the night,the worst one i ever got and ended up in hospital.they let me out on Wednesday with no answers. I'm so glad i found this forum, I really thought I was on my own. I'm scared this could be damaging to the baby. They are sending me to an IBS doctor but still waiting for an appointment and could be for some time as they have a big waiting list.
So excited! there's more of you!! Symptoms echo most people's - cramping pains, get up to go loo, faint.... then hit my head, get concussion etc etc. I can cope with most but am scared of (1) not getting to loo in time and (2) fainting and dying from consequence of fall (nearly did once). No diagnosis except reflex syncope for unknown reason. Check out STARS organisation www,stars.org.uk To avoid fall, been advised to increase my blood pressure to provide a 'cushion' when it drops, by drinking masses of water (I flavour with cordial) and increasing my salt intake. Then when I have the pains I breathe, strip off as much as I can, and if possible stand up straight away and walk around. If I can't stand up I move my legs up and down getting those big muscles working to keep pumping the blood around. This can sometimes actually STOP the attack so that after 20 mins no diarrhrea even! Doesn't always work of course. As my husband says, I've never collapsed when I've been standing, only after I've got up (from bed or chair) after trying for some time to control the pains. I used to try and control the pain by holding my breath or breathing very lightly - bad idea!
WOW I have cried my eyes out during reading this post just to know that I am not alone, I have been getting these episodes for the last 4 years since age 30 I am far from being a wimp and have had a kidney removed previously and would kindly do this again rather than have 1 single episode of collapsing on the bathroom floor.

My Story,
It first happened when I woke with severe cramping 1am, and felt I needed the toilet and upon getting to the toilet I felt very faint and severe pain all over I started off with what felt like constipation followed by severe watery diarrhea and this is not always the case, severe pain in the stomach, however not always severe pain either, I thought I had food poisoning as I had eaten a take away early that evening a veg burger, I am veg so don’t eat meat, I then called for my mother and partner who came rushing in, and they tried to hold me on the toilet whilst I was passing out, bless them, the smell was awful and always is, then they laid me on the floor as I kept coming round and requested that and the very hot sweating started I feel like I am burning alive and feel like I am dying, I can not explain the pain that im in except its all over my heart races but not always and I don’t care at the time if I make it back on to the toilet or not as the pain is so terrible.
Once the sweating as stopped I then cool down and by this time the ambulance arrives and I am sitting up usually looking extremely pale and ill but feeling stupid, they took me to the hospital the fist few times it happened and tested my bloods and found nothing they said, this has happened a total of 15 times in the last 4 years I would say but happening more often recently, the next time it happened was again in my own bathroom morning time I was already up and again at home morning time, then I had also been in one occasion took my mother to the air port and it happened there they hat to shut east mids airport toilet down buy this time, I had already learned to strip off as many clothes myself and try and get off the toilet and half pull up my trousers as not to scare people, and then the hot sweating begins, I went in to the AIR port toilets with strait hair and came out with curly hair as was so wet it had gone back to its naturally curly state, I feel totally worn out, afterwards but I am an extremely determined person and the sort that nothing stops me so get up have a shower and carry on,  one at lunch time in the middle of a meeting at work I crawled out of the toilet screaming for help and everyone in the meeting heard.
So the SYMPTOMS
Hot Sweating on all occasions, wet through.
All except one episode on the toilet, or the feeling of needing the toilet. Get approx 10 mins notice feeling it coming on weird waves of pain all over and sometimes feeling a bit sick but never being sick.  
Sometimes the feeling of constipation, but not, and diarrhea but not diarrhea on all occasions,
No straining ever,
Feeling immense pain all over and heat like nothing I have ever felt I lie strait down in the floor to avoid falling.
Passing out in and out of consciousness on all occasions lasting up to 45 mins each occasion,
Monthly episodes or less,
During the night morning times and evening so anytime of the day,
Eating different things before each episode so no clear link,
Heart racing but not on all occasions,
Always a very bad bad smell.

I have had a heart monitor fitted over the years for 3 days this revealed nothing and had an ECG and nothing revealed I had a colonoscopy and this replicated a passing out episode for me it was the most painful experience I have ever had having a colonoscopy, they diagnosed IBS and prescribed Mebervrine to take as and when needed twice per day, to relax stomach, this helps very slightly but does not stop the episodes,
And this is all they said it’s IBS and nothing else can be done,

I get very scared on each occasion I feel like I am going to die my lips turn blue and I turn white and I done care even it I defecate on the floor im in so much pain, I can in-between these episodes appear to eat anything I have never had a sensitive stomach and can even eat hot curries with no effect, and anything I like, I don’t get stomach pains in between the episodes at all sometimes wind but nothing excessive, so it all seems very odd I also asked for a H plory test that can cause irritation in the stomach and this is a breath test and this revealed nothing.

Another thing I would be very interested to know that if anyone ever gets neck pain also………….. as on occasions never at the same time as the episodes my neck goes in to spasm and its either one side or another, and I am unable to swallow it feels like I am trying to swallow an apple, and extremely painful it usually lasts 10 seconds and then goes off again, and its too scary, I through form my own research it sounds like vasovagor nerve, affecting my neck, I do have naturally low blood pressure,

So things to help manage,
Cold tiled floor, strip off as many clothes as you can before it happens get yourself laid down and elevate your legs, it will help you not to pass out as much, bring blood to your head easier,
Cold cloth of anyone is around, to put-on your head neck, control your temperature,
Sleep well, rest well don’t get yourself to tired,
Eat a balanced diet drink plenty of water.
I take Mebervrine to help with cramps which I never get unless the symptoms come on buy this time its usually to late, but I do take them afterward so it might be helping a bit.
I really do hope I and you all fine some sort of answer as this is no joke it’s the most painful and scary experience I have ever had and no cure so Far just knowing that you are not alone helps and this made me cry knowing that I am not going mad and that other people are going through the same thing, like I said I am very pain tolerant and determined and have had huge amounts of pain when my kidney failed so I don’t think that pain is causing me to collapse as I would have done it before with  the kidney pain but it never happens with that.
Good luck
Wow, so nice to see that I am not alone dealing with this. My last episode was two nights ago. Woke up from cramps (upper stomach), almost passed out going down the stairs to the bathroom. Severe cramps, cold sweats, and diarrhea. My ''attacks" last about 10 minutes. Couple of years ago, I was grocery shopping with my boyfriend when I started feeling dizzy, fell down in the aisle, thank GOD my bf was there to hold me!
I had two colonoscopy, and they never found anything. They prescribed me Librax (for IBS), but I was never diagnosed with IBS. I've been taking these for almost 2 years now, it helps a lot, but I still get attacks from time to time.
HI...I'm a 47 year old female. I've been receiving updates from this blog for a few years now. When I first had an attack I couldn't find anything about what happened until I found this site. In a way, it's nice to know others understand, but I wish the doctors could understand as well.

I've had 5 episodes now, spanning over a total of 7 years, with my most recent last night. I haven't been able to track what causes mine due to the amount of time in between. It can be months up to a year, but very similar to everyone here in symptoms. Mine usually last a few hours and always include passing out and extreme fatigue. Luckily, they always happen at night, when I'm at home. I've been very concerned about the possibility of it happening at work.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet for this, but have multiple food allergies. From what others say, I wonder if there is any relationship.

I wish you the best!
I am 53 and been going through this since I was about 8 years old. There were times when I would not have an episode for a couple of years then they happen again. They got much worse the last 10 years. I even had my gall bladder removed (the Dr thought that was the cause) but I still have episodes and that was 7 years ago.  I was talking to a friend of mine about it and she said it sounded like Gastric Dumping Syndrome. I had never heard of it. I read about it online and it mostly happens to people who have had Gastric Bypass but not always. My friend had Gastric Bypass but I have not and I'm not overweight. I told my Dr and she agreed that it could very well be that. I saw a nutritionist but it didn't make a difference. I don't know what can be done but after going through this for 45 years it would be nice to have resolution.
It just seems so odd that no doctor can determine what causes this and possibly control it. If it were an allergy, or gall bladder, or anything along those lines, then it should stop or not be as violent if it occurs, assuming precautions were taken. But they always seem to return and they are not easy to handle. They are very painful.
So just days after first discovering this page, and after posting for the first time, I had another attack.  This is the 5th attack in about 8 years, and the second one to happen in a public bathroom. And since the weather is cooler now, in November, I guess the attack has nothing to do with hot temperatures. Just had some cramping about two hours after lunch (a very healthy lunch) and then went to a Marshall's bathroom for relief.  The runs happened and then I started overheating and vomiting, and I knew this was an attack.  The sweating came on and then the pain.  I remembered from the last time that to prevent fainting I should put my head between my knees, but I was already in too much pain to bend over and too dizzy and weak to stand up.  So I decided to lay on the bathroom floor.
I needed water. I didn't want to call 9/11, because I'm just too poor. I decided to call a friend to bring me water ASAP.  I don't think she realized how urgent and scary it was because she took way too long to get to me.  Finally, some women in the bathroom found me on the floor... stole a large bottle of water from the store, and entered the stall to hold me up so I could drink.  They put a cold press on my neck  and said prayers over me.  They were my angels.  They also convinced me to go to MedExpress which was extremely close to the store.  So when my friend arrived, she drove me to the MedExpress.  By that time color was back in my face, but I was so weak and in so much pain I couldn't walk by myself and couldn't even fill out the admission form.   The doctor did do something good, he gave me a shot that took the pain away.  Usually the pain lasts between 1-3 days after an attack, but it was gone in just a few hours.  And I mean ALL GONE!
I decided to see an allergist because I think, that at least for me, this is probably tied to my yeast allergy.  I'll let you know what he/she says.
I too have these same attacks,,laying on the floor in the bathroom at Wal-Mart, I decided I need to drink more water. Dr told me pain in my upper ab is poop. I am constipated and after a week or two of having rabbit turds,I knew an attack was only around the corner..I have had these episodes since my late 20's,,I'm a 53 yr old female Nausea. Pain,dizzy,fainting,sweats, relief after pooping,,,we create ibs by not giving our body water..So that's it water. Also the Dr told me to drink warm liquids,coffee,tea..this gets the poop moving
For me I think this is related to my yeast allergy. When I was a little girl, I tested positive for just about every food allergy.  Yeast, however, was the worst.  Just smelling it rising and baking could make me so nauseous and have problems breathing I would have to leave the house. But not everything with yeast does it to me. I love pizza, but I've had this attack right after eating Papa John's pizza and the pizza at Busch Gardens. Remember foods, and especially yeast, are chemical compositions and are affected by temperature, fermenting, etc.  I actually think bread products that originated as frozen dough (frozen yeast) is one bad culprit for me.  Yeast can sneak into any number of processed foods and you wouldn't even be aware of it. Nutritional yeast I have to stay away from, as well as beer with a high yeast content. The chemical compositions of whatever you are allergic to can be why this attack is so unpredictable and hard to track.
i am really relieved to know that i am not the only one whos experiencing  this kind of phenomenon that i am dealing with the past 15 years. I am now 25,and the last episode was only last night. Good thing that my husband heared me when i faint and quickly got me up back to bed because i faint at our bathroom floor. They even tease me,asking me why am i always sleeping in the bathroom. Im hoping that someday our problems will be addressed.
Hi turner, did you ever find out what it was? Just lastnight the exact same symptoms happened to me. Word for word everything you described. It's now the day after and I have terrible cramps in my abdominal region. It hurts to walk and I still have some diarrhea. I'm curious if you were ever given a diagnosis? I'm a 20 y/o female and I'm pretty scared and jumping to the worst possible conclusions, it'd be nice to have some relief!
I just found this site and boy am I happy to see it. When I describe what I am going through and the intense pain, people think I am over exaggerating.  I have always had issues with my stomach every few months that would land me in the bathroom, but would blame it on a sensitive stomach.  This summer they increased and happened quite frequently after ice cream, so I thought I had developed a lactose problem.  In October to Nov. I had 4 major attacks and 3 less severe.  The last severe attack I should have gone to the hospital but had company from out of state. This attack I had eaten bakes fish, bakes potato and 3 little squares of butter. Three months after eating  I had severe stomach cramping that had me in the bathroom for 3 hours.  I went from normal stools to total diarrhea.  I was nauseous,  light headed, feeling like I was going to pass out but never did, and sweating followed afterwards by sever chills that I was shaking.  When I was finally able to get off the toilet  I was so weak I had to go to bed. This time also had pain in my shoulder blades. I really felt like I was dying.   The next morning I still felt terrible, but had to get up for my company.

A few days later I went to the doctor.  I told her I think it was gallbladder, so she did blood work and sent me for an ultrasound.  Everything came back fine.  So I asked for a Hida scan which I had yesterday and that came back negative although it did show things in my small intestines move really slow. So she is sending me to a Gastroenterologist.

I have been scared to eat for the last 2 weeks.  I have avoided fat thinking it was gallbladder.  My last attack last week was after eating scrambled eggs.   So I am not sure food is playing a part in this at all.....

Am 32 and just had my second episode, it normally starts in the morning, this time round, it was after a beverage and bread and fried egg breakfast at the office. The sharp abdominal pains started and I thought it was nothing serious.visited the washroom three times until lunch time ,when I went to have lunch in a restaurant, sharp pains started again, was still on my seat waiting for my order and dizziness dropped in , rushed to the washroom, knew I was going to faint and then diarrhea followed, and I started sweating soo much, my lower legs started feeling numb, and had to wait in the washroom to gain some strength to walk out back to my table.Am great full you are all sharing this because doctors couldn't diagnose it the first time it happened.At least am not alone with this.
I hope if someone on this site finds answers to their problem that they share,  Ama1981  One of my recent episodes was after eating scrambled eggs. I thought mine was related to  fatty food..... but with the gallbladder results showing everything is fine, I am totally lost.  I am going to see a Gastroenterologist soon so I am hopeful for seeing most people on this site are still without answers make me somewhat nervous.  

Tonight I was talking to my daughter who is a cystic fibrosis carrier.  I believe I am also as it is in my family and we know we carry a couple of different genes, and I am going to ask him if I possibly could have a mild case if Cystic Fibrosis or sometimes carriers have some lung or intestinal issues, and perhaps this is the case.  I am grasping at straws right now.   Does anyone else on this site know if they are a CF carrier?
I've suffered with the exact symptoms that you all describe since I was 16, I am now 38. I get these "episodes" maybe 3-4 times per year. Has anyone one been diagnosed?
It is so scary!
Last night I have had the same episode as many of you described. I am a 40 year old male, it was about midnight when I went to bed. Roughly after 10 minutes of laying there, I started getting a dull pain on my right side in my intestines, thinking it may have been gas, unfortunately it did not pass and progressively got worse. I went to sit on the toilet thinking I may have some relief. This is when the light headed, cold sweats, nausea feelings set in all of a sudden. I had to force a bowl movement which did not help all that much. The sensations got worse so I felt I was done sitting in the restroom walked into the living room and the dizziness got worse, I went outside and got some fresh air, which helped a little. I went back inside grabbed my phone, went to the shelf and grabbed the bottle of low dose aspirin, opened the bottle and popped 2 aspirins, called my wife and told her I needed here home. By this time I have cold sweat dripping off my face. I surely thought I was going to die from heart failure, so I sat there and started fading in and out of wake and sleep. I am fine now, did not go to the hospital, but will make an appointment with my doctor and see what is going on. This is scaring me, and at 40, I am too young to go anywhere outside the realms of the living.
Hi. I'm 57 years old and just experienced one of these episodes. I had experienced these from my teen years through my thirties...then they stopped...until today right after eating breakfast at a restaurant. I was feeling fine before--no constipation or other stomach problems. Then right after I finished eating, I felt mild cramps (left side). I excused myself and went into the bathroom. The cramping got worse, the lightheadedness started along with bowel movements (from normal to diarrhea) and some nausea. The episode lasted about 10 minutes. I'm not sure if I passed out--if I did, it may have been for a few seconds, but it was horrible experience and it lasted longer than previous episodes. Then we went home and the aftereffects (weakness, queezy stomach, mild cramps) lasted for about an hour. I had to go to the bathroom one more time; then I laid down for about an hour. When I got up, I was back to normal--feeling well. I've never looked into the cause of the episodes because they used to occur when I was constipated and once I had the "episode," I felt fine. The difference with this episode (from previous ones) is that I was not constipated.My fear is that my mother experienced similar episodes, most notedly after a stressful experience...she passed on 5 years ago...the cause--colon cancer :( and yes, I've had a colonoscopy and annual preventive exams...but the fear is still there.
I have an idea...since no medical doctor can come up with a name, why don't we come up with our own name? Some thing like INTERMITTENT EXPLOSIVE GASTRIC ATTACK....it's intermittent, definitely explosive, starts with gastric symptom; and it really feels like an attack on the body!! Just a thought....    :)
I did go to the allergist. He wasn't convinced that yeast alone could do all of this.  He thought maybe it was yeast interacting with a preservative or something.  But preservatives cannot be tested for. After much thought, he couldn't rule out anaphylactic shock.  So at the end he gave me two free epipens.  I hope it will be a long time before I have my next attack, but when I do get it I will try the epipen and let you know if it helps.
I am so happy that it isn't just me. This also happens to me about 2-3 times a year, but it's seems to always be related to a dairy product I may have eaten.

Last night out of nowhere it hit. I usually have to take off most of my clothes (if im home) because I get so hot. Then the dizziness, heavy breathing and cold sweat starts. Most times I feel the need to force myself to throw up because the nausea is almost unbearable. Like a few others have said a hard (not too hard) stool passes, then nothing less then lava follows. This last episode I decided to lay on the cold bathroom floor which actually made me feel better even though I was completely grossed out by it after. I did have to get up twice to let the rest of the firey rain of the rectum out. Then laid down in the bed.

My episode also only lasts at the most about 30 min. I'm just happy to know its not just me. I am usually terrified to poo after because I'm afraid its going to come back, but everything is usual back to normal.
I had same thing, last night and did the same thing...I lay on the floor to avoid passing out...terrible feeling.  Does anyone know what causes this?  I read through a few posts and it seems that it can be caused by any number of things.  I'd like to know what it is so I can avoid it!!!   Ugh.  
Thanks.
My doctors recommended a pacemaker to combat this, anyone else?  
I am a 44 year old female.  I have been having these episodes for 13 years. I normally don't post or respond to these things but I wouldn't want anyone to suffer from this.   The last episode was so severe that I ended up in the e.r.  Violent doesn 't even describe these episodes! I feel like I am going to die.  After I have one I am so afraid; I cry before going to bed because I am afraid of having another.

They are always after I have been sleeping usually 2 or 3 a.m. however the one before the last one started at 7 p.m. but I had just woke up from a nap.

It begins with severe pain in the upper right part of my stomach.  The pain goes straight through to my back, as if I have a knife straight through me. Always nausea with the pain.  Then I begin to sweat and getter weaker and my body begins to shake and I vomit while sitting on the toilet because it usually ends up coming from both ends.  It last sometimes for what seems like an eternity but probably 2  hours.  I have passed out in the past.  

The next day I alway run a low grade fever and have no appetite at all.  I am usually in bed for the next 24 hours.

I have recently seen a new G.I. doctor who ordered an abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallstones and an immediate HIDA scan following the ultrasound if no gallstones were present.  NO gallstones were present.  They had told me this in the e.r. but the ultrasound must be done immediately prior to the HIDA scan.  

Results were my gallbladder is sluggish.  Only emptying at 12%.
My GI doctor gave me two medications until I see the surgeon for the consult to remove my gallbladder.  One is a anti spasmatic drug called HYOSCYAMINE the other for nausea ONDANSETRON.   You place them under your tongue as soon as you feel the onset.  If you have had one of the episodes you can definitely identify IT IS COMING!

My last episode I did use both of these meds.  It did help.  I still suffered but not as severe.  Probably because I was asleep during the initial onset.  The sooner you catch it the sooner the meds work.  

I have my surgical consult tomorrow and I will keep you posted with what he says.  

BTW...I also have IBS, Hypothyroid and Gastroparesis.

I feel like I finally found a doctor who listened!  Find yourself a good doctor would be my first piece of advice.  Ask them to explore deeper into the gallbladder.  
I am glad to know that others have experienced what I have but it is very disappointing to know that there has not been a real diagnosis. I am a 44 year old woman who has been experiencing these episodes for almost three years.  I have diabetes, IBS, GERD and gastroparesis.  For me I've noticed that certain foods such as tomato sauces, fried foods, high fructose corn syrup, mixed drinks can set me off.  Not sure about the bread or yeast.  Usually its starts with pain in my upper stomach (can be left or right) and heartburn. It mostly happens at night or when I'm laying down. I'll get up to go to the bathroom and then i'll start feeling really hot, dizzy and nauseated.  I've passed out a few times so I know to hit the floor by then I start to vomit and pass out, When I come to again I'm still vomiting and loose control of my bowel function so it gushes out both ends the hole episode last for about 1 hour. Once the episode has started it not much I can do to help.  My last episode happened two nights ago and i am still recouping for the dizziness and weekness.  Of course I've had all the same test as everyone else and still no answers.  I have had some problems with  my gallbladder I'll have it checked out again.  My questions is, I wonder if anyone is taken Reglan or what medications we may have in common?
VASOVAGAL OR VASOVAGAL  SYNCOPE!

Look it up this is what it is called or at least related too. I am 62 years old have had these symptoms since I was 18. I went to  a new doctor today because of a stomach virus and told her about an episode this morning. She said "O Yea, vasovagal syndrome". HUH!!!!!

I have looked for answers for years , even in the emergency room--today is a good day I now know what this agonizing experience is.

It has many causes-Dehydration being the big one. I will let you read all the other symptoms, but as of today we now know what it is.....at least in most of our cases.
Good luck to all
I have suffered from vasovagal syncope for many years.  It took an episode of fainting, busting my nose on a shelf in front of the toilet, and waking up to - well, you know- all over the floor and me to talk to my doctor.  He told me what it was, said there  are meds to control it but since mine happens so infrequently that getting on the floor and elevating my legs above my heart should do the trick.  It does work, however, after several episodes of having to clean up massive amounts of diarrhea I finally learned to use the large pads that they use under elderly patients or potty pads for dogs, placing them underneath me so that they catch the mess and all I have to do is throw them out and clean myself up instead of having to scrub and  bleach the floor and showering.   Gross I know but it works.
P.S.  I have had thorough work-ups for gallbladder, upper endoscopy, and colonoscopy.  I have been told it is from stress.  My doctor called it the "intestinal equivalent of weeping".  FWIW.
I cannot tell you how amazed I was when my Doctor mentioned it very matter of factly. I thought she said BasilFlagal, LOL. Frankly I did not care , just happy to have a name and know I am UNLIKELY to die from it. I think that is what terrified me thinking my blood pressure would drop so low I would just die, That is why I never passed out because I would lay down on the cold bathroom floor until it passed. At the time I did not know that was a good idea, it just seemed to keep me from passing out.

Everything I have read on this condition fits perfectly. It was like a panic attack for me, and for me who has low blood pressure anyway, dehydration was a big part of it.

I used to think it was just when I menstruated, but then when I started donating blood it would happen, and after relocating to new homes both times I went through a night of this. For me I am no longer scared of having an episode. I think this in itself is the cure. I understand it now!!!

......WTH didn't someone in the emergency room, doctors office, nurse or someone else tell us this was what was happening, that is what REALLY pisses me off!

Hope this info saves a lot of people from never knowing when, where, how it would strike you. That was enough for a panic attack  I'd say!!

All the Best
I am coming back to tell you all what has worked for me it has been one year since this has happened again. I am hoping I have it figured out. I first saw this post a year ago after the worst episode yet and knew I would not live through another. Like your all saying it was very emotional to know I was not the only one. It appears there are two types of us. Those who have anaphalatic stuff at the same time and the others do not have that part. I have the allergic part and burst into hives when my body is close to being done emptying along with the breathing/asthma issues. I am unable to get an epi pen or allergy pills when this happens because I am completely unable to help myself like you all know.  By the time you can do anything to help yourself you are dead or you have come out of it. The last time I passed out and I think I had a seizure?? When I was coming to all my muscles were flexed I could not lift head or move body but could see my arms jerking for who knows how long until I was slowly able to control my body again as the explosive diarrhea stopped. All of the other things you guys say are exactly the same thing leading up to and during and after this nightmare. I have always woke up in the wee hours with sudden onset diarrhea and/or and asthma attack but this is sooooo different as you all know.  

I had issues with very low blood pressure and heart rate to low or to high previous to this happening but the MD, Endocrine, allergy Dr and Cardio could not diagnose anything. Not that any of them tried very hard now that I know what I know. I drank several gallons of water a day was having cognition issues and became bedbound along with everything else. I am disgusted with how long I have suffered and the answers were there.  Always had very bad allergies and chronic sinus issues and skin issues etc. If you have symptoms that mimic thyroid or adrenal issues and have been told you are fine BS take yourself to a naturapathic Dr who is rated highly in your area with a copy of all the labs you have had done and a list of your issues and it will change your life. A year ago if someone had said I would swear by a ND I would have laughed in their face. But when you are ill you will try anything.

I was immediately pulled off gluten and dairy, diagnosed with phase two liver failure and adrenal insufficiency. I had low blood sugar as well but because it was so close to the normal range no dr mentioned it to me from my labs.... along with many other things that were low or high. I was started on hydrocostisone and a medication called adrenogen which is a cow glandular treatment. The ND told me that the reason I was having such awful allergies in the mornings when I woke up and these weird nightime reactions even though I could never figure out what triggered the issue was an adrenal issue and an auto immune disease. I cant recall exactly what he said but something to the effect that at night when peoples cortisol level drops something else kicks on and does all the repairs in your body. At night for US this does not happen and your body attacks itself all night. The reason we will never figure out what exactly we are reacting to is because it is everything, anything. I do think for myself gluten was a big thing. I looked at the allergy Dr's labs and the one for gluten was right at the top of normal. It should have been brought up to me then that I was clearly sensitive to gluten. All of you probably wake up feeling poorly most mornings regardless of an episode or not?? The good doctor asked me to research Low Dose Naltrexone ( LDN) and I emailed him immediately asking to try this medication now,now, NOW. I had shown thyroid issue symptoms for many years but doctors only ran the basic tests never the reverse and antibodies tests plus several others or any tests for adrenal issues. A saliva 24 hour cortisol test 5 years ago would have saved me from this nightmare and slow decline. I am not sure if I can say the web site name that helped me so much but I have a feeling many of you also suffer from untreated adrenal and or thyroid issues and have been told you were fine so I wish I could share. Maybe I can post my email and for any this relates to email me?

After a month of being on LDN I have not had allergies at all... NONE... I am not even certain if the things I was allergic to I am even allergic to anymore there are no more sneezes, hives or asthma. There are no more sinus infections now that I am treating adrenals and on LDN. I just started a low dose of a natural dissicated thyroid medication hoping it will get me back on my feet. The other thing was the super low body temperature in general. I have not seen anyone mention that but take your temp before you even get out of bed a few days in a row and some of you might be pretty surprised at how low your temp is. If it is low there even more evidence you should take your self to a good ND and get the help you deserve.  

I did not want to say anything until some time had passed and it has been a full year since I have got up in the night with what I always thought was IBS. My normal IBS episodes that happened suddenly in the night happened at least once a month and like some others here it always happened as well around period stuff. Those female hormones are also affected by the adrenal issue by the way since they are produced IN the adrenals. I have had IBS in the night since I was a little girl the severe ones we are talking about happened 3 times last year and terrified me. I have not had a single episode in an entire year this has never happened before that I have not had an issue. I do not have IBS I have an adrenal issue and a gluten issue. Who knew? Certainly not any of the bazillions of doctors I have seen for all this since I was a teen.

I thought the vagal nerve thing was possible for me because I have had a back injury and have metal in my back and the symptoms got worse after. My Md's have always said all the low pressure stuff was avagal nerve thing and there was nothing they could do. But no tests were ran for cortisol issues. I have since personally decided that it is a BS diagnosis for doctors because they do not know what is causing it. But I have been free of this for so long now that I think the surgery and steroids they gave me between two of the surgeries caused an adrenal issue that came and went with stress and illness that was just undiagnosed since the surgery until I finally crashed this year. I am not sure if I can post an email for myself or if that is a no no but if anything I am saying is similar to what you deal with I want others lives to be saved as I feel mine has been by treatment finally. My email is thespinster at hotmail *******. I am more than happy to share any information if it will help you.

I hope everyone has some resolution. When this happens no one has any idea but you here how incredibly close to death we are when this happens and how painful and terrifying it is. I wish everyone the best of luck!
Oh wow.. it's comforting in a way to finally know I am not alone! I had mixed emotions reading what you guys were saying seeing as how I share every single symptom except fainting/passing out although I do always feel like I am close to passing out. I am sooooo sorry to hear you guys suffer from this as well because you know how bad this hurts! I hope that one day they will give what we have a name and a cure! I know I fear every night that I may wake up with a episode. I have noticed the odds of me having one seems to be greatly increased when I eat shortly before bed! But I even have them without eating before bed as well just more common. Again guys I am glad to see I am not suffering from something that only I am going through and again I wish you guys the best I know what you are going through! :(
Also had parasites and did not know YUCK. Treated that with a highly rated one off amazon and it helped as well this year with many of the intestinal issues I thought were IBS. It may have also played into this.
Let me tell you about my Christmas miracle!  On Christmas eve I ate a few too many spices and drank some lemonade.  Between the citrus acid in the lemonade and the spices I was concerned on Christmas day when that feeling started.  You know the one when you can feel the episode coming on.  So I thought maybe if I stay hydrated it might help.  I drank plenty of water to keep the stomach pain from coming, I took a pill for the nausea layed down and put my feet up.  I was convinced that if I could go to the bathroom on my own it would keep me from going into a full episode.  So after pushing out a little something I felt 100% better.  I was able to get up and cook dinner for my family.

I'm not really sure what helped.  I believe drinking plenty of water from the onset may have prevented the full episode.  I still had a reaction with the IBS but it was a lot less severe.  

This might help explain why fructose is not your friend. and how other complex sugars are not always either.....Carbohydrates are single sugars, or two sugars bound together, or thousands of sugars bound together called starch, or millions of sugars bound together called fiber. No carbohydrate can pass from your intestines into your bloodstream until it is broken down into a single sugar. For example, milk contains a double sugar called lactose that must be broken down into two single sugars before it can be absorbed into your bloodstream. Fifty percent of people on this earth get gas, cramping and diarrhea when they drink milk. To break the double sugar called lactose into the single sugars, your intestines must produce an enzyme called lactase. If your intestines do not produce lactase, you cannot split the double sugar into single sugars, and the double sugar cannot be absorbed in your upper intestines, so it passes to your colon, where bacteria ferment it to form gas, cramping and diarrhea.Fructose is a single sugar that is absorbed much more slowly than another sugar called glucose. Most of the fructose in you intestines is converted to glucose and then absorbed into the bloodstream. The fructose that is absorbed goes directly to your liver where it is converted to glucose. Some people have intestines that do not convert fructose to glucose rapidly. Therefore , the fructose is not absorbed in the upper intestinal tract and it passes to the colon where bacteria ferment it to form gas, cramping and diarrhea. These people should avoid foods that are high in fructose, particularly those made with high fructose corn syrup. High fructose corn syrup is used in almost all soft drinks and fruit beverages , in cookies, gum, jams, jellies and baked goods, and a wide variety of other processed foods. This study suggests that 30 to 60 percent of patients with irritable bowel syndrome have fructose intolerance and can be cured by avoiding foods made with fructose, i am going to try this will let you all know how i get on
Alll I can say is wow... Have had this happen to me 4 times in past 10 years,
twice in past 3 months.. Last time I had a completely liquid bm and
got up stood in front of the sink to wash, next thing I remembered I was
laying on the floor..
It is good to know I am not crazy or dying... However treatment seems
to be a bit problematic...
Thanks to you all

I am 62 year old man. Have fibromyalgia, and ibs..sigh

thanks again
jigb
OMG I've never done anything like this before but after reading your story I had to respond. The EXACT same thing happened to me last night but I was by myself so I just kept praying I would be okay even though I was convinced I was going to dye. The same thing happens to me about ever 6 months and I don't know why? I would love to know what causes this because I'm scared to eat anything in fear it will happen again :-(
I wish that soon we have a name and cure for it. i am 32 year male and  i experienced this episode last night for very first time, after few alcoholic drinks i had my dinner and laid down on bad but after some time i feel some cramps in my abdomen and urge to go to bathroom for no 2, i set on toilet sheet  and started feeling so much weak and my heart was beating extraordinary i though this is then end but suddenly after bowel moment i started cold sweat most on my forehead and i was completely helpless and couldn't even move but after some time i managed to reach my bed somehow and laid down after sometime i feel recovered but seriously i though i having a heart attack as i was alone at home and was planning to go to doctor for complete check up, once i read so many post i feel i am not alone but really tense that these episodes keeps repeating  and i travel a lot for work  over night in flight, bus or train. i am really freaking out for thinking my next episode.
i had this episode 2 days ago ans same symptoms so i just wanted to know is this a life threatening disease? pls. tell this is for everyone.
Omg!! I can not believe I found ur story! I have the same exact problem! I have never seen a comment that describe me. I am 30 yr old female from Louisiana. I had this episode happen about 5 times since dec. 2011, 3 times went to  ER. I went to the. ER dec. 2011, May 2012, October 2013, notice it is 5 months apart. This happens to me only at night, about an hr or two after I eat. The abdominal pain is so severe every time I go to the ER they ask me if I'm any hallucinates or any type of drug over and over I finally said run any test u want to, they sure did test me for drugs and when they seen I was not on drugs their attitude changed but I know they get a lot of patients that overdose, but dang the pain makes me squirm and and I can not think straight. I'm also thinking food allergy! My symptoms, this is pretty much how it starts, mild abdominal pain and a feeling in my rectum, ears itch bad I think I feel swelling in my ear the first episode I first heard a buzzing in my ear then the severe abdominal pain,  hands a feet itch, feel faint, then the severe pain in my lower left adominal (abdominal) then I feel pain left and center lower abdomen right above pelvis. When I get this pain immedialty I can not urinate or have a bowel movement the pain last about 2hrs. After the pain I urniate couple of times, have a bowl movement, get constipated then have diarrhea for couple of days. ( pain level 10, when I told the nurse that, the past 2 times I was in Mississippi she said, "you are not just here for drugs u are really hurting bc she will have patients that say real high number that's not on the chart and they are just there to get their fix. but really in my mind the pain level is off the charts!... I also get aggravated and can not think maybe bc of pain, feel hot and cold flushes, throat itches, first episode I had a rash on my stomach (small red dots), between my legs itched, past episode chest hurt and lump in my throat may be anxiety bc now I fear this severe pain, feel like I'm going to pass out feel dizzy I just feel like I'm going to pass out and die and not make it to the hospital in time. To me I feel like my body is swelling and my colon, or small int. something in my lower stomach feels like it swells.  The past two times to the ER I did notice small red dots around my hair line by my forehead that was there couple of days after. The first time I had rash on my belly. This can not be gas pains! The first time they gave me shot said I was allergic to something, maybe laundry det. Nah,  I don't believe that! Second trip to ER saline flush, catheder my bladder was full , pain med., ct scan showed nothing the tech did say my uretha looked inflammed but he wasn't suppose to say that bc the dr did not say that when he looked at scan, and white blood cell count high but not high enough for worries the nurse said a person from a car wreck can have triple the number of elevated WBC. The past time Benadryl and pain med. shot my WBC was elevated I had an UTI that i had the month before that didn't go away. I know this is long and may not make sense! Can you or someone give me any advice. Thanks!
Hi, I just commented to turner1970 today. My episodes seem to come every 5 months. Read my long comment and see if we are alike. I do plan on seeing a gast. And urologist. The last episode I remember eating a funnel cake not long I started for feel a mild discomfort in my stomach and rectum. Then when I got back to the camp my stomach hurt a little more, I had told my husband that severe pain is going to happen tonight and we will be in the ER, sure enough midnight comes and I'm up out the bed I feel the pain in my lower abdomen coming I get in tub then the faint feeling comes and I'm off to the ER just knowing that I'm going to faint and something is rupturing inside me. I do try to use the bathroom before going to ER but I can not go until about an hr after pain. I have also never commented before. I have also never seen so many post like or similar to my situation.
Hi, I have a similar situation. I have had 5 episodes since dec 2010. 3  times went to ER, I went dec 2011, may 2012, October 2013.  This is how my symptoms begin,mild stomach pain, ears itch bad, first episode heard buzzing/ringing in ears, hands and feet itch, pain increasing, feel faint and dizzy, sever pain lower abdominal, feel hot and cold flashes start sweating, throat itches, had a rash on belly first time tonER. I went to ER the second two times I noticed red dots at my hairline on forehead. This happens at night I sleep for 1-3 hrs then I wake up with mild abdominal cramp I try to use the restroom to relieve that feeling then all theses symptoms start happening. What scares me is the faint feeling and the pain is very, very intense! I rush off to the ER I can not handle the pain without pain medicine I need to get a prescription so I don't have to rush off to the ER. Bc now I know u most likely won't die from fainting.   But most of y'all have nausea and diarrhea right after faint feeling. I have BM at the hospital but the pain is still there after BM the first trip to ER the extreme pain lasted about 2 hrs. Then about 6 hrs later I get diarrhea for 2 days. There is some difference in my symptoms. But ur comment about yeast makes sense to me. I been thinking it could be food allergy. The past episode I remember what I ate, a funnel cake from fair. I remember about 30min to hr I started feeling a mild sensations in my stomach. I get back the camp and my stomach hurts even more. I told my husband I think I feel that severe pain coming on, we may be going to ER. Went to bed woke up at midnight off we go  to the hospital. I do all I can do to prevent me from passing out. This feeling is terrible and scary. In 2010 I did develop whelps/hives on my lower back, stomach, and thighs lasted about 45 mins to hr and half. I think this  happened 2 times a week for about a month.  Anytime I feel like these symptoms are going to happen I take Benadryl , gas x, Advil don't know if it helps for the big episode but come march I should have a full blown episode, I seem to have severe attacks every 5 months. When this happens I feel like I'm inflamed inside my body.  I also read on someone's comment that cortisol  levels drop at night. So that might be why I feel inflamed and it only happens at night I was just diagnosed with insulin resistance or pre diabetic so  maybe this means my cortisol  is not working right all the time.   I  Don't really know if that is what is happening to me I do think it could be yeast or wheat. sometimes when I drink beer my stomach has that specific feeling so I quit drinking but the pain don't become unbearable.  I will be going to my dr soon i will ask her about yeast and cortisol. It's nice to read people in the same boat and what's amazing is majority of y'all pass out. I fear passing out especially if I'm home by myself. I will remember from someone's post that when I feel faint lay on the floor. Also I'm glad to know u may faint but u shouldn't die from this problem well.. Unless u hit ur head. Sorry so long! I'll take any advice. Thanks!  
Having the same symptoms, I had a endoscopy yesterday to see if there was a physical problem. One of the questions that the physician who performed the procedure asked me if I had had my gall bladder taken out and I answered in the affirmative. He said he has experienced this in many patients who have their gall bladders removed. I am curious to know how many of the community have had this surgery. I am anxious to talk with my Dr. to see what he prescribes. I will post if I think it will help others.
Well I don't get hives or red spots. If you went to an allergist he'd probably be able to check you out.  Unfortunately for me, the allergist couldn't find anything really wrong with me.  I don't have the normal symptoms that come with allergies.  He thought I had an intolerance to some things, but the fainting and purging of fluid didn't fit the definition for intolerance. Nikki it sounds like what you have is a variation from what I have.  

I failed to mention in my previous posts that the first three times it happened to me it was at night-time.  For some of the people on this list they get it at night.  The last two times were in the afternoon, soon after I ate lunch.  I'd feel like I could be more in control if I was at home and not in a public bathroom.  So if this happens to people at night when you are at home, chances are you prevent yourselves from passing out completely because you can lay on your bed.  For the rest of us, we have to just lay down on the gross bathroom floor until someone comes.

A friend of mine had many of the same symptoms and as a result she had her gall bladder removed.  However, now she is having terrible effects from that surgery.  I doubt the gall bladder was really the problem.

I am pretty sure for most people this attack is caused by something we are eating that our bodies cannot process.  The allergist told me that mine could be caused by yeast interacting with a certain preservative.  Preservatives cannot be tested for allergies.  So it is just trial by error, find out what preservatives were in your food right after you get the attack.

With so many posts on here, why isn't there a doctor who can just give this attack a name or something?  It needs to go in the books.

As far as people dying from this... well, dead men tell no tales.
This also happens to me.  I understood it was a vasovagal reflex faint.  I seem to recall the vagus nerve is in the stomach/abdomen.  I think when I get the symptoms it stimulates the vagus nerve and causes a faint.

I notice it happens when I eat certain foods - fried eggs are a real culprit.  I get all the same symptoms - feels like constipation but I can hear this growling in my instestines.  Then comes the stomach cramps.  And terrible diarreah (diarrhea).  Cold, sweating profusely and then I pass out.  

Worst thing you can do is panic about it because the anxiety makes it worse. It's scary so you panic. I found when I stopped fearing it, didn't panic, slowed down my breathing I didn't actually faint.  

If I think I am going to faint I just lie down on the cold bathroom floor with my feet balanced on the loo and eventually it passes.  If worse comes to worse and you are going to faint just get as low to the floor as you can - that way if you pass out you haven't got far to fall.

As soon as you've passed the diarrhea I find the whole thing passes.  I feel shaky but if I go and sleep for a while I wake up feeling fine.

Horrible thing to go through and first few times it really scared me because I thought something terrible was happening.  But once I realised it wasn't life or death and stopped being scared its nowhere near as bad and I haven't actually passed out since.  
I could have cried when I read your post, I have yet to meet or get some one to understand what I am going through! I Have had colonoscopys done eeg's ekg's ect and its always "fine". I feel like people, my dr included think I am just not tough or have no tolerance to pain. This is not the case! I agree with everything you said including the feel like your dying part, and to be honest when it's happening part me wishes I would. It sounds awful to say but the pain is so horrible! I recently went to a homeopathic dr and she instantly suggested I be tested for abdominal epilepsy (along with other tests and blood work) with the research I have done on it thus far it seems like this could potentially be what I have...you may want to see about testing that for yourself!
Have been suffering from the same kind of attacks for about two years.  Last March, I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease and put on a low fodmap diet.  It has changed my life.  Following the diet is extremely hard, at first, but then becomes the norm.  I hadn't had an attack in almost a year, until the other night.  But I've been trying to reintroduce certain foods back into my diet and, I guess, I'm just not ready yet.  But definitely check into the low FODMAP diet.  It will totally help.  I also started taking citrucel caplets, a digestive enzyme, a probiotic, and Heather's tummy tamers regularly, and they have all helped immensely.  Good luck.
I have been dealing with all of these same symptoms and have been tested for all sorts of GI and Heart Related causes.  Finally I decided to go to an Allergist.  I've been diagnosed with Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  Another possibility that it could have been was Alpha-Gal.  CHECK THESE OUT ONLINE AND CHECK WITH AN ALLERGIST!!!!
Check with an allergist.  It could be Alpha-Gal or Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.
So thankful to have found this group.
I had my gallbladder out on January 6th.   As suspected it was inflamed and infected.  I strongly recommend that you try to find a doctor that will send you for a HIDA scan to test the functioning of the gallbladder.  

From what I am understanding, when these episodes happen as my doctor stated, you are very sick!

I am sorry for your experience but I don't think that my episodes are vasovagal syndrome.  I have SEVERE stomach pain with nausea then you have diarrhea while vomitting then the sweating and light headiness begins.  It doesn't stop until bile is coming out.  The entire next I would run a fever and be completely exhausted.
I've had 3 episodes exactly like you describe. This last one was today - I'm just now feeling about 80% better after about a total of three hour episode. The first two times were not identical to today, as today at one point just as I was about to pass out my one ear sounded like an emergency buzzer, very loud and scary.  The first time this happened was about 3 years ago, even though I remember much less severe episodes a little further back than that.  Today's was the worst yet, and I really have no clue what could have possibly triggered it.  I keep a pretty strict log of everything I eat and other than a pretty high natural fibre diet there's nothing odd about it at all.  Very little processed foods, and no weird diet products or anything like that. I'm going to see a doctor this week since this one really scared me.
I am a 41 year old female who has been experiencing this very same unexplained nightmare anywhere from once to four times a year since I was 14. I've had x-rays with contrast, ultrasounds, referrals to gastroenterologists and OB/GYN's--all with no solid diagnosis. I have always had bouts of constipation and thought that this episodes seemed to be brought on by what felt like a blockage trying to pass. However, I was also born with a severe case of jaundice, so I wasn't sure if perhaps this was liver related. This is what happens: I feel fine other than feeling like I've not been passing enough stool for a few days. Then out of nowhere, an intense, hard pain begins building in my left side (between my last rib and my pelvic bone). I feel like I need to go to the bathroom, so I make my way there. In the time it takes me to get to the bathroom, I'm now nauseated from the pain, severely weak, and sweat is literally rolling off of my body quicker than I've ever had happen before. At this point, I've learned that I need a cold rag on the back of my neck and to get on the floor, knees to my stomach and my forehead on the floor, or I WILL faint. After I've fainted or saved myself from fainting, I still have the horribly intense abdominal pain and end up passing a very hard stool, followed by violent liquid diarrhea. (Whatever this is, it's not pretty, right?) I'm left weak, cold, sometimes nauseated, and exhausted for a few days. Sometimes the diarrhea lasts just that one day, or for a few days afterwards. I worked for an attorney and had an episode that resulted in fainting (at work--nearly breaking the copy machine as my body collapsed on me). I woke up to see my boss kneeling over me and the on staff RN (it was a medical legal law firm) examining me. She was shaking her head "no" as I came to. I was more embarrassed than worried, because I have lived with this almost my whole life. She was saying that my BP was dangerously low, and some other stuff about my vitals that I was too woozy to understand or remember. The attorney made me go to the ER. All the ER docs could tell me was that whatever happened had left free fluid in my abdomen. They referred me to a GI and OB/GYN. Both told me that it could have been a cyst rupturing. The problem with finding a diagnosis is that the episode has ended by the time a doctor actually sees you and runs any tests. So all they see is the aftermath--an exhausted, sweaty patient, with fluid in their abdomen. I understand the difficulty in diagnosing whatever this is. It happens so quickly that unless you are literally monitored for months like a hawk, how will the doctors actually catch a glimpse of the episode itself? While I understand their point of view, I still want answers. It's been 26 years of dealing with these scary episodes, and I really would like them to stop or be under some sort of manageable control. I've passed out while driving, because an episode hit me before I could get pull off to the side of the road. I woke up in a ditch on the opposite side of the road. It's terrifying to not understand your own body and to try to beat the clock to prevent fainting and injuring yourself. I had another episode last night and decided to list all of my symptoms in a Google search. It brought me to this forum. I. Am. THANKFUL! for finding this forum! I literally thought I was the only one whose ever had this happen to them. So...has anyone had any doctor positively identify the source of the onset and successfully manage their episodes long term?
I forgot to mention that in the week or two before an episode, I've noticed that my psoriasis becomes worse (I've had it without remission for about 13 years now) and that my energy level is much lower than normal. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar. I'm not sure if that's related, or not.
I am a 44 year old female who have suffered the exact symptoms that you have described.  Last year my episodes began occurring two or three times a month.  After one episode I went to the ER where my doctor told me that I was severely dehydrated.  After doing some research I found out that there is a type of seizure that causes stomach spasm brought on by dehydration.  It makes sense, my episodes usually happens during my period when I have hormonal changes which changes the electrolytes in your body.  The dehydration can be the cause of the constipation and psoriasis (or for me eczema). So I am happy to say that I have not had a severe attack in three month. To stay hydrated  I drink zero calorie powerade, pedialyte, coconut water and plenty of water throughout the day.  

I am a diabetic which causes me to become dehydrated and I do suffer from IBS which I believe would trigger my episodes.  But I pray that I can keep it under control...I hope this helps.
17years of episodes EXACTLY as others have had. Started with 2 a year and frequency has been increasing. Currently have an attack every 1-3 weeks. Sick of doctors saying its all in my head, thousands of wasted dollars spent on tests and scans with them all coming back normal. One test my husband suggested was for Crohns, but not a single doctor is willing to even test for it. Anyone else get anything from this test? What about genetic screening for cystic fibrosis? One GI doc mentioned CF possibility as secretions can form outside the lungs and affect the intestines, but that same doc refused to test for it.
Did your doctor ever figure out what you had?  I have similar thing and doctors are not sure.

Thank you,

Janet
Some of the diagnosis that we're getting about this don't address the profuse amounts of sweating, which I feel is the defining characteristic.  Our bodies are purging fluid as a reaction to something.  I've eaten some bad scallops and had diarrhea and vomiting, but it wasn't an attack because there was no overheating and sweating and therefore no cause to faint.  So I think whenever some of you go to the doctor, whichever doctor you try, really emphasize your body is going into attack mode and that the sweating is the primary danger.  
i have had these attacks for twenty years, and i have had open heart surgery and then 2 yrs later a pacemaker...and i still have the exact same attacks. so while it definitely felt heart related it apparently is not. i have however i think, diagnosed myself.  i literally feel like i am having some strange allergic reaction to myself, so on my last attack, i had liquid childrens benadryl on the bathroom shelf from my grandkids being there so i asked my husband to help me take some. within ten minutes, it subsided, and i did not have that wrung out rag feeling i usually am left with all day. so next time i will try that again, and if it works, i know it is allergy related.
http://geneticgenie.org/blog/2013/01/31/mast-cell-activation-disorder-mcad-chronic-illness-and-its-role-in-methylation/

cut and paste this into your address bar, i think i found it.
I forgot to mention.....I had to have a colonoscopy done before the surgery.  The prep (2 dulcalax pills) threw me right into an episode.  I woke up around 3 am. I asked my doctor about it he said that he had never had someone tell him that but would imagine it could happen with laxatives with a barely functioning gallbladder.  

BTW...my gallbladder was infected and inflamed when removed.  
Giovannah, I have been going through extensive testing to figure out why I wake up in the middle of the night feeling nauseated, then sweating and burning up to feeling like I will faint to having a bowel movement.  Not to mention I am constantly tired.
First:  I had a 3 hour glucose test done and yes, I am hypoglycemic (explains the being tired and other episodes, could even explain the middle of the night episodes, however I nor my doctor was convinced of that) I am going in next week for test to see if I have a Carcinoid Tumor.  These are the symptoms that pertain to what I am reading on this blog.  I have had an MRI and CT scan and a butt load of blood work.  I am praying that my Carcinoid Tumor is the answer and is also benign.  Usually they are but I will keep this threat posted on the outcome.  Since I have completely changed my diet I am now having more bowel movements and I believe that has helped too.  It is a starting point.
At 62, I am grateful for finding this trail of tails as it were.  I have suffered this problem since I can remember and fortunately it only hits a few times a year.  I did have a bowel hernia/obstruction from scar tissue a few years back and until now, have not had an episode until last night.  The pain is so awful, all you want to do is get to your bathroom and unfortunately I was about 20 miles away, driving on a very dark curvy country road.  My vision began to disappear and I knew I was heading into that black unknown, when the sweating begins.  This is a road with no place to pull over but extremely rich people's drives and I was not about to do that.  I slowed to a crawl and finally found a church parking lot. I try to slow my breathing because I often thought I was hyper ventilating, causing the blackout.  When the black out episode slowed, I made it home suffering with acute pain the entire way.  Ending in the result everyone describes.  I can't help but wonder if scar tissue (which will not show up in tests) could be the cause of many of the problems described above?  Have many of you had previous abdominal surgeries?  I am not feeling well this morning and that's a first.  Usually when it was over and my system empty I was fine in the past.  Time to see the gastroenterologist.  
I'm a 27 year old female and this has happened to me countless times since around 16. It usually happens in the morning. I'll be woken up by slight stomach cramps notifying me that I should probably get up to use the toilet.

After I stand up, my face starts to get a bit tingly. I'll sit down and do my thing, and this is when the cold sweats and sever cramps will hit. Usually the diarrhea is nothing but bright yellow liquid and the stomach cramps make you beg for death!

My arms and legs start to get tingly and the tingling in my face intensifies. My breathing starts to get shallower and faster, and it feels like my heart is going to beat out of my chest.

This is where my hearing starts to go and the ringing in my ears starts. I get spotty tunnel vision and start to sweat profusely. I always wind up soaking my shirt because I sweat so much.

By the time I'm finished on the toilet, I usually strip down to my underwear and lay on the cold tiles. I usually have to use the toilet a few more times before it's passed. All the symptoms will be gone after about 2 hours. This leaves me exhausted and grouchy.

I always assumed that there must have been a slight blockage high in my intestine, and that caused all the blood to go there to aid in moving it down the line causing cramps. This could also cause dizziness because of lack of blood going to the brain. I dunno. I'm not a doctor.

I notice this happening often when I was younger. I cut out all the meat in my diet, went veg and no longer get this as frequently. I had asked a doctor at a clinic what might cause this, and she said it may have been an allergic reaction to antibiotics in land animals, because bodies only react like that if it desperately needs to get rid of something. Same goes for similar things like the flu. Your body is trying to eradicate the virus thus causing vomiting and diarrhea ect.

The only time I get this now is when I drink red wine whether it be half a glass or just a sip. It happens sometimes with dark alcoholic beverages. I don't drink often, however when I go a little overboard this happens usually 3-4 days down the line.

I've never gone to the doctor's specifically for this, because I thought it was a minor blockage that eventually cleared on it's own. I thought I was the only one.
This happened to me except for passing out. Took me several weeks of keeping a food diary book of everything I ate to find out that I cannot eat or drink anything with sugar alcohols in it. Mainly anything "diet" things that end in ol as in xylitol. I had an episode and went back checking labels to find that the bit of ginger ale I drank had sucralose in it " Splenda " is (sucralose), It was not labeled diet but did say on box that I missed "fewer calories"
I was able to eat and drink these for years but now can't touch even a little bit.
I can't believe that so many of you are having the same problem I have. My poor husband has been traumatized by my episodes.  I wake up with cramps and I run to the bathroom feeling like I'm either going to vomit or have diarrhea. Than I get weak lay on the floor and try not to pass out. The episode ends when I either vomit or have the runs. I know it has to be food related. I have been tested for food allergies and I'm allergic to dairy. Which means no cheese or casein which is in a lot of nondairy creams and margarine.   I have been diagnosed with IBS which really means nothing.  It's a symptom of something. The doctors know nothing about this. All they want to do is run tests. And nothing shows up. Been there done that!
The gut is very complicated. They call it the second brain. I've done a lot of research on this and I believe it's do to leaky gut. I take a high quality probiotic and eat a very clean diet. My problem happens when I decide to have a piece of pizza or some tasty dessert that has dairy on it. Wine makes me sick too!
It's just been so hard to have to watch everything I eat. I'm 62 and my episodes started 3 years ago. I have connected it to stress, lack of exercise and food allergies! I believe it is an immune response to what our body sees as poison and it's job is to get rid of it fast.  
Not just me then!  I have exactly the same symptoms as everyone here, and no real explanation as to why it happens other than it seems to be connected to when I eat too much dairy.

My theory is that my bowel gets slightly blocked due to slight constipation caused by fatty foods and not enough fluids.  Gases then build up causing the cramps and severe pain and the sweating.  Once I manage to have a bowel movement, the first part is like passing the blockage, followed by all the loose stuff. (sorry to be so graphic).

Buscopan helps me to recover the next day, along with chamomile tea with a little honey in it.

I'm going to try not to overload my system from now on, and hope it works.
I am 53 and have had "episodes" since I was 17.  They are not frequent and often a year or two apart.  However, this past February and again at the beginning of March, I had violent episodes.  It began with cramping, then in a few minutes, I feel a nauseating feeling and then need to vomit.  However, on the way to the bathroom, I pass out and come to lying in the vomit and; well diarrhea.  This continues 2-3 (could be more because I kept passing out) times.  I cannot make it to the commode for the diarrhea and keep vomiting, so I have "learned" to just crawl into the bathtub to at least contain it.  I have just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and no answer was found.  I have gastritis and inflammation of the bronchial area due to Reflux...but nothing to answer the symptoms above.  Thank you everyone for posting to this blog, because I now have a couple more things to ask my Gastroenterologist about.  I am afraid to eat anything at this point and when I do, I get full fast.  I'm not losing weight, but just maintaining.  I will be seeing my Dr. on Tuesday, so after my appointment, I'll come back and report if he comes up with anything that will help us.  
It is ironic....we go to the Dr. to find out that we are ok, but in my case I want to find out what is wrong with me. It is very frustrating!
HI Turner1970

I have been having similar episodes for years. Horrifying ... and I always lose consciousness and my bowels (often come to on the ground surrounded by literal puddle of sweat and putrid smelling faeces).  I have been tested for epilepsy (as the symptoms most fit seizures) but it has been negative.  Have some white cell/matter changes in the brain but not sure its related.  The episodes appear not to be food related for me (been having them now more than 20 years) and do not relate to any event, though stress appears to increase?  I'm still at a loss and my episodes can happen any time of the day. Some years I have 6+ a year and other years none.  Because they are periodic and once passed (after an hour or so) everything seems back to normal so really hard to diagnose. Still stay a ghostly white for a few hours. I would love to know cause.  It does feel like you are going to die (which is the panic response setting in the brain I believe) but I have learnt to talk myself down through it over the years,  Truly terrifying.  In the midst of it dying feels real and imminent.  Im a white female in her 40s.  Remember having at least as far back as late teens....
Last night was the first time this happened to me and it scared me to death. I am a 36 year old female.  I woke up at 2am with REALLY BAD lower abdomen pain.  I thought it was bad gas at first. I went to the bathroom and nothing happened.  I then started to sweat really bad .. I got up to go outside for air and my legs got week and I fainted twice. I went outside to get air and then I felt the urge to use the bathroom fast after that I went back outside and started feeling better. I ddnt go to the ER But I feel better now
Hey I've had that happen to me!  I felt constipated so I took a laxative and oh my goodness was I sick! I won't ever do that again.  Through me right into an episode and we sure don't need to do that! I haven't been on in a while and I would like to report that the Stelara I take for my psoriasis is still keeping the tummy episodes away!!! I'm sure now that it is the Stelara that is helping for whatever reason!  My guess is that what we all are experiencing could be autoimmune disease!!! Wish I could tell you more, but I don't have a medical background! I wish someone else were taking a biologic med, too! Anyone out there taking Humira, Enbrel, Stelara??????

ohh my god, i have exactly the same thing,
I have had 3 episodes untill now, the first one 3 years ago after I eat some damaged Blueberries. and that was the beginning
the last one was 2 days ago (my third time)

in my last time, i was home alone (my husband was away with the kids) and i was thinking that: that ss it! it is the end,, i even though i will die with nobody around!!

but in the third time( 2 days a go) i was well prepared! lool
i eat some food in the afternoon, and felt not comfortable,, and then at night i started hearing my stomach doing weired sounds,, so i put one glass of water with 3 spoons of sugar next to me, in case i pass out at night and i need it ( because what i understood is that the blood pressure goes down out of pain)

so at 2 am, the scene started, i felt like diera, i quikly drank the water and sugar, went to the bathroom and in the middle of the way zoooooom i passed out, loool, but for few seconds this time i think the water and sugar helped to overcome it quikly

If any of you guys can help with any remedy, or any Idea plz msj me..
i was realy scared that i might be having something serious untill i found you :)

Best
I would like to add something here... i am realy rerrified of the passing out thing every time!! Because the blood pressure goes tooo down in the human to pass out.. thats when we start hearing the sound in the ear and sweating..

So isnt the low blood pressure dangerous?!

I mean we can handel it if it will pass just like this, but what if if it cause death or something?

I am sorry to put the question this way.. i didnt find any other way to make it clear :)

Best...
I am a 52 year old male and just experienced something very similar or the same thing after waking up this morning. I didn't pass out but I was seriously contemplating going to the ER. I have had mild what I that was gas pains the last few days, but this really scared me.
Viewing 601-722 comments: