Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 801-826 comments:
Hello, I wanted to know if you were given meds for this condition and are you better?   Thanks
I HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEM FOR 10YRS, THE CAUSE FOR ME IS ANXIETY, AN ANXIETY ATTACKS! HAVE ANY OF YOU LOOKED AT THE SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY? THE MEDICATIONS AVAILABLE LIKE XANNAX! WORK GREAT, WHEN I FIRST STARTED HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS AS MOST OF YOU I THOUGHT I WAS DYING, HAD CAT SCANS OF MY BRAIN FOR TUMORS, SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING, HAD UPPER GI ENDOSCOPY'S DONE, ULTRA SOUNDS OF MY ORGANS, LIVER, GUALBLADDER? THEN MY DOCTOR TOLD ME I MUST BE SUFFERING FROM ANIETY ATTACKS, I SAID HE WAS WRONG, I AM SICK, BUT HE GAVE ME SOME XANNAX TO TAKE THE NEXT TIME I HAD AN EPISODE WHICH SOUND JUST LIKE YOUR SYMPTOMS. IT GOT SO BAD ONE NIGHT THAT I FINALLY TOOK THE XANNAX, MUCH TO MY SUPRISE MY SYMPTOMS ALL WENT AWAY IN ABOUT 15MINS, COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! I WASN'T DYING ANYMORE AND MY DOCTOR WAS RIGHT! OH WELL NOW I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS THE REST OF MY LIFE, BUT HEY, ATLEAST I KNOW WHAT I GOT AND HOW TO CONTROL IT. PEACE, THANKS
I believe I have found the answer for most of us. First let me say i am not overweight, nor have i ever been.  With that said, I feel confident it is "Dumping Syndrom (syndrome)" that is common after gastric surgery.  I don't know if I can post links here, but if not, please search for Dumping Syndrom (syndrome) on webmd.com.  

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/dumping-syndrome-causes-foods-treatments
Omg, I just had an episode! I have never fainted in my life. I am a 40 y/o female. I was drinking a beer talking to a friend after working a music show when suddenly I had to stop talking and tell her that I was in pain and needed the bathroom. I turned to walk through a door and fainted! I woke up from the impact of falling straight down on my butt. I had my boyfriend drive me home, used the bathroom (runny and gross), and started to feel better. Right after the faint, I sweated profusely and had to sit down for a while. I had drank some whisky earlier in the night and eaten plenty of food. I was not intoxicated. It was scary. I start my period in 4 days, everything I had to eat or drink, I have had many times without incident. I don't know what it is. I had a recent physical and vitals and blood work were all healthy. I don't know what just happened to me.  
I have been diagnosed with IBS, Epilepsy, dairy intolerant, you name it yet none of which have panned out or found to be correct or accurate. (Except we must all have some form of IBS). I AM GOING TO MAYO CLINIC next week to try to finally find an answer. I've been doing this since 2009. I'm 52 years old and female.  Always happens in the middle of the night, except once.  Episodes have escalated infrequency and times per occurrence. Even though I know I won't, I'm certain l am dying each time. One time I had 6 in a row over 5 1/2 hours and was hospitalized for 3 days. They found nothing. I've had numerous tests by many Doctors. If Mayo can't figure it out, then I guess we are all screwed.  People do not understand how horrific and terrifying these episodes are.  I will post once I've been to Mayo and let you know what happens.  
This is from a thirty-nine year old full time working mum with medical history of high blood pressure. I was hospitalised about two months ago with blood pressure of 241/135, so when this happened for the first time ever approximately two hours ago, I thought it had to do with my high blood pressure but wondered about the different symptoms.

The symptoms described are almost verbatim, from the episodes of nausea, dizziness, black out to the bowel episode and the cold sweat. I was terrified as I did think I was dying and I passed out during placing an emergency call. Felt foolish afterwards and cancelled the ambulance. Was checking out the symptoms and came across this site. Will glean advice from here and see if I can work out an appropriate intervention.

Thanking you all from the bottom of my relieved heart.

HellloThis is from a thirty-nine year old full time working mum with medical history of high blood pressure. I was hospitalised about two months ago with blood pressure, so when this happened for the first time ever approximately two hours ago, I thought it had to do with my high blood pressure but wondered about the different symptoms.

Apologies for the multiple posts, didn't realise comment was already added as I had been looking in the wrong place.
Goodness. I just read every single comment on this page. Like all of you are well aware of, this is one of, if not the scariest thing to experience - period. I'm not sure if there is anything that could make me feel physically, or mentally for that matter, worse than these awful episodes. Verbatim I think is the word, no explanation needed. Identical to this awful thing that happened to me two nights ago that has left me more scared of food than an armed robber. Why? Because no one knows what it is.

It appears that alcohol, high fructose corn syrup, eating heavily right before bed, dehydration, (I'm a 24 year old female) and the beginning of a period all seem to be possible triggers - for lack of better word. I would love to just get a group of doctors together and show them this page. I've had a colonoscopy about 2 years ago at the ripe age of 24, that was fun. This was before I ever had an experience with this episode though.

I don't need to delve into the details, literally everything I have read is spot on. It actually kind of cracks me up how everyone finds solace on the tiles because I totally understand. I'm scared to drink beer, liquor, eat a lot or even eat at all. But you can't not eat because if you do that you'll faint before you ever make it to the bathroom.

Now, here's something that I find interesting is the anxiety. I mean, I find all of this interesting and thank the lord I have just found this page. I have always had really bad anxiety. My sister too, however she has such awful anxiety it is to the point where she has panic attacks, is prescribed xanax for her attacks, so I can see how that would help. I noticed one person had mentioned this. But the thing is, she doesn't have bouts of waking up in the middle of the night, that I know of - I imagine no one would be able to keep quiet about these horrendous night spells. Now I have never had a panic attack, but having bad anxiety none -the- less, one could imagine how hard it is to handle this with anxiety on top of it (naturally it spirals me into thinking I have cancer, or a tumor, fear of throwing up -- that's what anxiety does, it makes you paranoid and there are all types of degrees). It is scary. I wouldn't wish not even one of these episodes on my worst enemy. I'm scared to go to bed at night because this happens at night, and have been braced for the past 2 nights since it happened but luckily haven't woken up in my sleep since.

From what I've read it seems that these don't work like I thought.. I got one that night and expected to have the same thing happen the next night but it seems that they are more rare than that. I have never fainted in my life, not even that night. But if I had to imagine what it feels like right before fainting, I think i've pretty much figured that out. Tunnel vision, disoriented feeling, the room feels like it's spinning. I do think it is very very important to drink as much water as possible due to the excessive amounts of sweating. Always drink water period but especially because of this. I think we all just want help, answers, but I cannot put into words how comforting it is just to know that I am not the only one.
After the fourth incident in about five years I found this forum, and like everyone else am so glad to hear about it.
I suffer the same as everyone else, but I have no time to do anything. I feel the pain, usually wake up from it a few hours after going to bed, and then I rush to the bathroom and maybe have between 5 and 10 minutes before I pass out. My husband says that I seize slightly and that has scared him into calling the ambulance. I am never out more than a minute, and after the black out I usually am able to have a bowel movement and then the heat remains but the incredible pain has subsided to more manageable throbbing and then just fatigue.
I am wondering if this is hereditary. After it happened the second time I started asking around. I found that my mother and brother both have this, although my brother has only had this happen to him once in his 40s, and my mother will have had just a handful of episodes over her 60+ years. She will also just pass out with food poisoning.
The most recent episode happened after I have stopped eating gluten, and went out to eat- asked for a gluten free meal- but think something was still in there, and I also ate a very large meal.
I do not have any other diagnosis. In the past  I have had an episode due to too much oils (like curry) and also having too much food- the meal is too big. Recently I have scaled back on all dairy and wheat  because this can create a back up in my digestion that causes immense pain to the extent that in the ER I am often given codeine or vicodin.
The four incidents are the ones in which I have passed out, but thinking back I realize that I have had episodes that have been also triggered by what I thought was menstrual cramps, and that I have had a few at restaurants and have been able to put my head between my legs and let it pass, or like many of you describe have to lie down on the cold tile floor which at least keeps me from passing out.
In all the cases, except for this last one it is usually followed by diarrhea.
I hope you all figure out what works for you.
I am lucky that these are infrequent, and within 45 minutes the whole thing is usually done with. It is clear to me that this is triggered by the food that I eat and I just have to keep tracking it to make sure I avoid certain combinations. Good luck to the rest of you, and thanks for sharing your stories. It is a great relief to know I am not alone and not crazy.
I am 26 years old and have been doing this for about 1 1/2 years now.. I have went to several doctors and have been hospitalized for this!!! Mine started on my sons birthday when all of the sudden I got these extreme stomach and abdomen cramps, then came the cold clammy sweats with dizziness and the vomiting and diarrhea.. I have had at least 5-6 more episodes!!! Last night was one of the worst. My blood pressure gets high from all the pain while I have my episodes. I have had a doctor suggest that it may be intestinal contractions, (which is what my pain feels like sharp contractions). I have been prescribed muscle relaxers to no help. The pain is so intense that when I go to the er I get put on morphine.. I wish this would stop or find a proper diagnosis .. I have had episodes at work and get released due to pain or constant running to the bathroom its ridiculous    
I wonder if these episodes have to do with a food or chemical intolerance and our liver basically rejects it, putting our whole body into attack mode.   The question is, is there any permanent damage?
  Wow!  Have not been to this site in a while and I see many more have added their stories and requested update from me.  I feel obligated to give and update because I feel sharing of knowledge and experiences is how most dilemmas are solved and to also let everyone know I am not dead yet:)
   So here is my update.  This past June (2014)  I had another episode.  This time I remained in bed and was able to get through the episode without passing out.  I have a blood pressure monitor in my house.  I had my wife record my pressure every 2-3 minutes from the onset of this episode.  The first couple of readings my blood pressure was high.  Around 140/90 and pulse rate was in the high 80's.  Then all of a sudden,  I felt the hot feeling come over me and the ringing in my ears.  The next reading was 80/40 with pulse of 120.  Just in a matter of a minute my blood pressure completely bottomed out.  It took about 5 minutes of extreme agitation and discomfort but my pressure began to normalize and then I was able to make it to the pot with explosive bowel movement.
  After this occurence,  I decided to go see a cardiologist to rule out any cardiac rythm issues.  The cardiologist was very understanding.  They performed and echo cardiogram, a tilt test and had me wear a holter monitor for 24 hours.  The results of which were all fine. They did see a few PVC's but the Dr. said they were normal.  However, the Dr. did give me a diagnosis of Situational Syncope.  I kind of scoffed at her when she said that but she told me it was a real diagnosis and she has seen several people with this issue.  She said my trigger was gastrointestinal in nature.  Cant beleive I paid her $1000 bucks to tell me what I already suspected but for some reason it helped hearing it from her.  At least she put a name to it.  
  I have since cut out all fried foods, soft drinks and artifical sweetners and I absolutely do not eat after 7pm.  I am much more relaxed and I have not had any night time abdominal issues much less an episode. Over the years,  I have become very leary of the possible affects of artifical sweetners on neurological issues and anxiety.  I feel one day that there will be hard evidence of the issues that these chemicals cause.  My advice to everyone is to stay aware from fatty,greasy or spicy foods and particularly prior to going to sleep.  If one of these episodes hit you, remain lying down.  Standing up will make the drop in blood pressure much more pronounced.  I think I was very much in danger the night I passed out for 5 minutes.  I had propped myself against the corner of the bathroom and passed out.  If I had not finally fell over flat on the floor and allowed the blood to flow to my brain I may have had a seizure.  Anyway,  I am not as paranoid as I once was of these episodes now that I have a name and how to deal with them better.  LIke many of you, there was a time where I was terrified of going to bed and waking up with one of these attacks.  I hope everyone feels better and that this information helps someone.  I like reading everyones experiences and the information they have gathered because it does help.  Thanks.
Thanks for your update.  Actually, I am relieved that the cardiologist put a name to it.  My trip to the allergist didn't do anything.  In fact, many of our trips to doctors turn up negative.  So at least you have someone who seemed to know and also confirmed the seriousness of it. The trick for us all is to find out what triggers the intense reaction.  For me, it is a kind of yeast intolerance.  And so I avoid yeast products as much as possible.  I have my situation under control by watching carefully what I consume.
I've had about 7 episodes like this in the last 7 years. I'm a 29-year-old female, and like most of you, I've seen the doctor and had blood tests, EKG, etc and found nothing. (The only thing slightly unusual that showed up was positive for ANA -- anti-nuclear antibodies. I saw someone else on this board had that diagnosis too, but I haven't been able to determine if the ANA is related to these episodes). It's definitely clear to me that this is a gastro-intestinal problem. Over time I have learned some things that help slightly. Definitely lie down with your feet propped up as soon as you start feeling the heavy heart palpitations. A cool washcloth on your face can help too. Also, clench the muscles in your hands and arms and legs to try to circulate the blood away from these extremeties and back to your brain. Sometimes the combination of these things will at least keep me from passing out. It's very scary while it's happening, and I know we're all frustrated at not knowing exactly what causes this. I'm so thankful I found this board... just knowing I'm not alone helps. And maybe if we all keep sharing our stories and tips, we'll learn to manage whatever this is.
I have gastroparesis and started taking Iberogast. 30 drops twice a day in water. It helps a lot with nausea and gas. Try this stuff before or during a meal. It cuts through almost immeadiatly.
I am a 47 year old female who has just started having these attacks in the past six months. After the first one my doctor said it must be a virus, which seemed to make sense since it came on suddenly, gave me fever, chills and then exhaustion. But I have had more attacks since then, the latest one was last night, and I had just had one on Thursday night. Mine start in the evening, after dinnertime, horrible painful cramping in my intestines, washroom, regular bm followed immediately by lots of explosive messy stuff, nausea, lightheadness, chills, exhaustion for a day or two. Last night for the first time ever I told my husband I just wanted to lie down on the bathroom floor, so reading all these posts really resonated with me. He wanted to take me to the ER but I felt like an idiot. I barely ate the day of the attack, due to lack of appetite, and I cannot find a common denominator in either what I eat, or what medications I am on, or circumstances such as stress. I had just finished drinking a huge glass of water too, so it couldn't be dehydration. At this point it seems random, but from here on out I am keeping a diary of what I eat and when the attacks occur and all other possible contributing factors to see if I can find my trigger. I know I will need all this info to give my doctor the next time I see him, or else he will say it is just a virus or food poisoning again. The pain is just getting worse every time it happens and it takes longer to recuperate. I hope we can all find answers, this is ridiculous.
Yes, the shots, gel, and these pellets increased my 224 T-level to the mid 700's but that was all it did. My sex drive was even less. No libido at all. Caused anxiety and less sleep which HELLO Doctors! causes less sex drive. My conclusion after 3 Urologists and 1 physician is that they have no clue what to do except scribble the next prescription and get you out the door. Not one of my doctors has even followed up with me to check my status. I'm trying to sleep more, exercise a little, eat healthier, and deal with my anxiety by taking 300 mg of St. John's Wort daily. I don't know what else to do. Viagra works and the woman doesn't complain, but it's not a solution to the problem. In fact it causes more problems. You mentally depend on it and the side effects are horrible. $35.00 a pill without insurance is $$$. I don't use the whole pill since that would kill me. I break it up into quarters.

I seriously feel that there is more to what they are telling us about chemicals in foods and heated plastics that have shut down our systems. Best of luck to you guys because I don't see any help in the near future.
Neurocardiogenic Syncope
Back from MAYO CLINIC, and after many doctors, tests and still ongoing tests, the answer is what I was hoping it would not be, because there is no cure: DEFICATION-RELATED SYNCOPE, SECONDARY TO VAGAL HYPERSTIMULATION, which means, Vasovagel Episodes.  This is an event that starts in the gastric (abdominal) system and is so severe that it hyper stimulates the vagus nerve, triggering this horrific and terrifying episode. The main triggers are stress, dehydration and fatigue, however all of the triggers everyone has previously listed can be actual triggers.... Each person has their own in addition to stress and fatigue.  Alcohol, because it dehydrates the body and large meals, especially late in the day, because then your stomach is processing the food after hours, laying down with no physical activity and your metabolism is at its lowest at this time.  I have also personally found dairy to be an issue - especially if eaten at night.  Dehydration is huge, because it causes your veins to contract and makes it much easier for an episode to occur.  A large glass of water at night is not enough to keep this at bay.  One must continually stay hydrated throughout the course of the day.  I have profound pre-syncope (almost completely fainting) and syncope (completely fainting) during an episode.  Mine last anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes PER EPISODE and typically have 2 - 4  full cycle episodes per occurrence.  This is because once the vagus nerve is stimulated, it continues its course until complete and leaves you exhausted for 3 days.  I cannot function at least, for typically 3 days.  Now, because my syncope is so severe, MAYO has surgically installed a "Loop Recorder" in my chest, by my heart.  It is possible that the syncope part of my episodes are because my heart rate drops to dangerously low levels.  MAYO will monitor my heart during an episode. Once I have another one, two.. however many it takes to get a good look at what happens to my heart during an episode, they will be able to determine if my heart rate goes low enough (sinus bradycardia) warrant a Pacemaker. The purpose of the Pacemaker would be to jump start my heart back to a normal level, thus eliminating or mostly eliminating the syncope part of the episode.  I hope I qualify for a Pacemaker!

I do have a small benign nodule on one of my adrenal glands as well, but this supposedly is not related - ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS?   It was found during a CT Scan.  Keeping an eye on it to make sure there are no changes. If it continues to grow, it will be surgically removed.  I've heard from several people that this can be a contributing factor, but Drs said no.

It IS NOT Epilepsy (been on those Meds, thinking it was a possibility, but kept having them - not Epilepsy), Dumping Syndrome,  Mast Cell Activation, or any of the other things listed here.  IT IS Vasovagal Hyperstimulated Episodes.  I hope this is helpful.  Make yourselves a priority.  If you drink, drink very moderately, get lots of sleep, try to de stress and stay very hydrated.  I'll repost as I know more.  God Bless you all.
Gosh, I forgot to mention one of the most important things!  Because this IS a Gastrointestional issue, ALWAYS keep your bowels moving!  The trauma is also associated with your body having to eliminate, so keep the pipes flowing!  As turner1970 mentioned, it can also be called "situational" or as jodynoelle said, "Neurocardiogenic."  They all mean the same thing as Vasovagel. Whatever your situation, the vagus nerve is over stimulated because of some Gastrointestional trauma.  Keep your stomach happy and as healthy as possible.
This is what happen start two months a go same symptoms like yours y wonder if you found the problem att jose
OMG! Im sitting here reading this and I'm freaking out. I just had an episode last night. I have told my family and friends and they just don't understand that I really thought i was dying. EVERYTHING you said is exactly what happened to me last night. I has completely dripping sweat almost passed out or died one i wasn't sure which was going to happen. I pulled out of it. My daughter was here to get me a cld cloth and a fan. This happens to me about three times a year but last night was hands down the worse one yet. Ive always decribed these episodes as my hurts belly poops..
I agree with all that you have said!  When I was diagnosed with Vasol Vagal episodes I refused to stop there.  I have learned that my episodes are a result of Gastroparesis which is the action of  "the muscles in the wall of your stomach working poorly or not at all. This prevents your stomach from emptying properly" which is fairly simple to determine by a gastro emptying test.  For me it is from being a diabetic for over twenty years, however there can be many causes of Gastroparesis.

I agree that hydration is the key and of course knowing your trigger foods, such as alcohol, high fructose corn syrup, dairy, etc.  For me, my episodes tend to occur during PMS when my hormones are off balance and causes my GP to get worse.  

I have been tested for everything and tried many treatments.  What seems to work for me are a combination of three drugs that I take at the onset of my symptoms which are, anti-imflamatory (Naproxen), anti-spasm, and Zofran for the nausea.  This helps to prevent a full blown episode, however once it starts I can still feel bad until my stomach fully empties but no passing out or violent episodes.  

I know we all are different but it helps to discuss it with people who understand.
I recently saw my GYN, I am 45 year old female with Gastroparesis, GERD, and Diabetes. She explained to me that my GP can get worse usually a week before my period starts due to the increase of the hormone Progesterone. Which basically means that my stomach pretty much stops working during this time.  I have noticed that this is when my episodes tend to occur.  Usually after eating or drinking a trigger food or a large meal my stomach will began to spasm or feel like contractions in the center of my stomach.  My heart will race, I will feel extremely hot, the color will leave my face and I know I'm about to pass out.  I lay on the bathroom floor so not to fall.  I'm usually out for about a minute or two then I wake up to severe vomiting and diarrhea.

So ladies, if you notice that your episodes are happening just before your periods, it may be a result of Gastroparesis.  I also notice that my stomach will bloat and cause me to feel really full.  The hormonal process will cause dehydration and a lack of electrolytes (sometimes I will feel tingling in my hands).
I suffered the same symptoms and talked to a nurse that suggested it was a severe case of being lactose intolerant. I stopped consuming dairy and it did help. changed my diet and ate properly. I used to eat 1 meal a day but a big meal.. As much stomach shrunk it wasn t able to digest all the food so that effected my stomach.

I would drink lots of water when I get the pain to stay hydrated and breathe in and out. If I felt I was going to faint I woould lay on the cold tiles of my bathroom to help my body cool down. and it helps. You should not walk when you feel dizzy. I did that before and busted my head on the bathroom counter woke up seizing and blood splattered. Its been  2 years I think since it last happened. It started when I was in highschool around 14 til I was in  my late 20's. I cut back on the dairy for sure and have not experienced it yet.
Any news CMSP? Would love to hear what they had to say at the Mayo Clinic. Best place to be for gastrointestinal disorder. Lucky. Hope you have a diagnosis and doing well.
It's really comforting to find this forum, I don't feel alone with it any more.

33 y/o male, had it last night, cramps increase in intensity until it's very painful, sweats, pins & needles in hands, slightly faint (though I checked my heart rate and was normal at 70), soles of feet feel weird, then diarrhea which usually relieves a lot of the pain. feel like I'm gonna be sick but never do. If it's bad I collapse on to the cold tiles!!! Within an hour I can usually go to sleep.

Some patterns I've noticed, it often happens after eating out, the combination of over eating (or eating a lot of fat or meat) followed by alcohol. I think the fizzy aspect of beer makes it worse. I usually feel floated like food isn't digesting an hour or two before it happens.

I get it about 5 times a year, always in the evening/night, have done since I was 15 or so. The weird thing I've noticed recently is that I get home, I'm feeling full, I've had alcohol so before bed I think I should probably drink some water, I drink half a glass or so and within 10 minutes it's started, it's like the water triggers it?

For me I definitely think it's related to overloading the stomach/gut, I often have mild diarrhea if I don't let my food go down properly before being physically active (esp in the evening).

Thanks for the update! I am still taking Stelara for my psoriasis and I did have  a slight episode about 5 days ago.  Nothing compared to what I usually go through. Just had a little cramping and then a little diarrhea. I would say that this is about 1/10th of what usually happens to me.  No over heating and no faint feelings. I still don't know if it's the Stelara , but I really kind of think it is!
I do like knowing that there is a name for it, but it would be nice to have a cure!
I always take fiber tablets and I am afraid not to! Good advice!
I have had this happen maybe half a dozen times over the past 10 years but last night was horrific! I ran to the bathroom with the worst cramps of my life (childbirth wasn't as painful!) and an overwhelming urge to throw up.  I sat down with the garbage can in front of me because I had no idea which way it was going to go. I could feel pressure to have a bowel movement but couldn't even help it along because I was doubled over.  I tried to throw up a few times but never did.  I did go to the bathroom a little and it was runny. Then I became incredibly light headed, hot, clammy, sweaty.  I was within a second of passing out and gasping for breath (possibly just because of the pain.)  When this happened a second time in a matter of minutes I I had my husband call 911 and by the time they arrived I was able to go a little bit more and make it over to the couch. I felt weak but better.  Yes, I felt pretty damn stupid especially when the EMT talked about how they see this with geriatric patients from straining.  (I'm 45!  And like I said, I don't even think I strained much because the pain was so intense.)  I don't think she meant it to insulting but really? Blood pressure was fine, maybe slightly elevated. Afterwards I felt cold and weak. Today, I'm just tired and still a little bit crampy but haven't gone to the bathroom again.  

I really panicked because I've not been feeling well the past few days. Nausea and occasional lightheadedness that started to get progressively worse. (But it didn't feel like a stomach virus at all.) Had very frequent urination at night and I had a substantial bowel movement Wednesday night I think.  Also got very little sleep at all for probably 3 nights. The first night I think it was stress but after that I just literally wasn't tired.

Went to a Dr. on Thursday who chalked it up to stress (which has been out of hand for quite some time but why this all of a sudden?) and a possible UTI. They sent for a culture and yesterday I had some more classic UTI symptoms of itching and burning and he called an antibiotic.  I took that last night and feel better in that regard. He also said I was dehydrated. Never even considered GI issues. I was scared because I have been on HBP medication for a little over a year and fearful of a heart issue. He didn't think it was that. Was kind of frustrated with this Dr. and called on Friday to move up a regularly scheduled follow up appointment to this coming week with my usual Dr. I'm hoping she can offer some insight.  It's possible I had several things happening at once.

I have never gone to the bathroom regularly but have never really brought it up to a Dr. except in passing.  It's not constipation per se but just no urge to go at all for several days at at time (I do think this is exacerbated during certain times of my cycle). This does eventually lead to some bloating and discomfort. At times, I'll then just go normally and other times I feel like I'm passing something the length of my intestine!  I don't often have dry stools but will sometimes pass just a little at a time over a period of days. Sometimes I have to strain to to go and as I think about it that might be happening a bit more in the last few months. Usually, I suddenly get an overwhelming urge and I'm done it's over in a few minutes. I know I don't drink nearly drink enough water or fiber or exercise but I will also have instances where I will really try to load up on fiber and water to make things move and...nothing. Of course, if I was more consistent with all three....

When this episode has happened before (often at night but at least two daytime instances that I can recall) I've had severe pain and will alternate between the toilet and curled up on the bed until I'm able to go.  Like others have said it will feel like a nearly normal stool, wait a little with more awful pain, then diarrhea. Pain starts to subside and then I end up passing what seems like a gallon of water.  I do notice some mucous sometimes too either then or a little later and I don't always feel completely "emptied."

With all that though I have never had an experience where I was feeling poorly a few days ahead of time and never felt like vomiting, especially such a strong urge.  And I have NEVER almost passed out. Never even felt lightheaded.  Never had the feeling I couldn't get my breath. That terrified me!  (Now the EMT copay terrifies me as I've never had to do that before!)

Am glad that I finally googled this though because I was feeling like I was going crazy!  Although I am a little scared that this will now be the way these episodes will occur in the future.
Symptoms sound similar to those seen in Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  Hard to diagnose. Testing has to be done during an attack.  Curious to hear if anyone has considered this.  
I had an episode last night and found my self lying on my bedroom floor. The explosive bowel movements are horrible. I have never passed out before and it was pretty scary as I now have A bumpon my forehead above my left eye and a cut on the bridge of my nose. I am not sure if it was something I ate but I was sound asleep and the pains in my stomach were herific. Glad i found this post as it has lessened the fear. My heart goes out to all who are suffering.. It is a horrible feeling
Do you mind if I asked what you ate beforehand?
Hi everyone,
Since it seems we've determined that good intestinal health is crucial to keeping these episodes from occurring, I wanted to share with you something I've been doing that really seems to help. I've started drinking a little bit of diluted apple cider vinegar every day (I use the Bragg brand). So if you're like me and want to avoid daily medication for something that happens pretty infrequently, this seems to be a good solution. Do some research... if you need to improve your gut health and keep things moving, this definitely seems to help. I haven't had another episode since I started doing this. Would be interested to see if this works for anyone else!
Hi!  While at Mayo, I enquired about Mast Cell Activation.  Symptoms definitely are similar.  However, for me it was ruled out.  There are definitve tests that can determine it, but based on the description of my episodes, they did not feel that MCA was suspect.  It has been 4 months for me (last one - actually 2 in one night) was Aug. 15th.  Really staying hydrated and not filling up at night and watching my intake of dairy, sugar, high-fructose corn syrup and taking a daily stool softener (Dr. said it's perfectly safe to do so).  I had a hysterectomy a number of years ago, so I am unable to gage if it's hormone related. I do still have my ovaries and feel my body sometimes ovulate.  But don't know if there's a correlation for me.  Seems to make sense though.  I do believe two of th main risk factors are: eating a large meal at night and being even slightly constipated.  I'm going to try the diluted apple cider vinegar as well.  I never want to have another episode as long as I live.  
Hello Everybody,

I am so glad I found this board. I thought I was the only one who experienced this problem. I am a 23 years old and I've experienced this problem 7 times in the last 7 years. The first time it happened, was completely embarrassing. I was out shopping when all of a sudden I had the most PAINFUL stomach cramps and felt like I was going to faint. Next thing I know, I'm lying on a bench with security by me with a chocolate bar, haha.

My recent episode was last night! I've had enough of this :( Every time it happens, I feel like I'm dying! The worst thing about it was that I was all alone...It happened around 3 am and I got up and rushed to the bathroom. I spent most of my time just lying on the bathroom floor and trying to remain conscious.

Again, I'm so glad I found a board that has this exact, same experience. I feel like my family and my boyfriend don't see how severe it is. I honestly don't know what to do.  
i have had this problem for as long as i can remember.....im now 38 but have suffered with this since i was a teenager
i have never actually fainted which is a good thing i think laying on my bathroom floor normally allows me to stay conscious
i always get it first thing in the morning and it normally lasts about 45 minutes heres the strange thing though i get it EVERY christmas normally boxing day or the day after so i assume its something to do with overeating and i get it maybe 6 times throughout the year
i have googled it before and found out it was defecation syncope but have never seen a doctor about it........what worries me is the websites i found were saying that people normally die within years of their underlying illnesses? i know some people on here have been diagnosed but has anybody been told whether this is really life threatening?
It never occurred to me to actually google this before but some of you describe my EXACT symptoms. I'm not going to lie, knowing that you have all suffered as well makes me feel better too, lol.

First time this happened to me I was 16 (I am 40 now), a competitive swimmer, walking in the mall and apparently walked into a column and fell over. I thought someone sucker punched me or something. Stomach pain, cold sweat, had to hit the bathroom...recovered, better. Never had a second thought about it. Second time I was 32, working (abroad) from a hotel and woke up in the middle of the night with a stomach cramp, went to the bathroom, was walking to my bed after exiting said bathroom and fell over...thought I was dying somehow, ears ringing, sight leaving...it's terrible. Has happened a lot more in recent years and I've become somewhat of a pro at dealing with it, though that's not something I view as a good thing. I'm fairly certain it's food triggered. I'm still in good shape, yeah I've seen a doctor too thinking I had a bad heart or something and they said I'm good there (bp, levels, etc). The worse episode I was driving on the highway after stopping at an eclectic eatery (if you will) where I had a "fresh" salad entree of some sort and a "craft" beer. I felt it coming on while I was in the speed lane and I was blacked by the time I reached the shoulder and no longer had enough strength to keep the break down. My gf grabbed the wheel and threw my truck in park. I would have lived had she not been there but my truck would have kept rolling along into a ditch and probably would have been damaged nicely. Anyway, beer and semi-exotic foods, particularly things like calamari, "organic" vegetables, and...sometimes pizza...seem to be the common denominators. I think it's a combination of a weak/sensitive gastrointestinal situation and a less than uncommon bacteria possibly?.. that maybe triggers it. For example, the Pizza has always been delivery. The foods of a potentially questionable handling and/or origin. Also, I won't drink draft beer anymore because the taps are always suspect. I saw someone else mention this, but if I prepare my own food this does not happen. There is one other thing that is a trigger, but it's not legal in every state...so we won't talk about that.

Things that help: an awesome gf who has been through my pathetic episodes now 3 times, and though it scares her and she thinks I'm not doing enough to solve it (what am I to do when the doctors don't seem to find anything?), she knows exactly what to do. She gets me safe, cool (during cold sweat), and at least tries to keep me with her. Also, air/oxygen...whatever the reason my bp falls off, the oxygen not getting where it's supposed to go is why you go dim, have ringing/lose hearing, and pass out. Saturating your red blood cells with oxygen not only helps recovery, but can actually prevent you from passing out entirely.

Now, partly because my experience with it, and partly because I feel like I've had an awesome life, it doesn't scare me so much and I've payed more attention to interesting/funny details. Last time, I was at a Halloween event, and I felt it coming on. I got up and told my gf I was going to sit in the car and bolted out...On my way out, I couldn't get the door to the venue open, like I couldn't figure out the handle. Then, I have to go down some steps and I'm thinking, "please don't fall out now..." It was cold out, and I wanted to get into my vehicle and turn on the heat in case I passed out. About halfway across the parking lot I plowed into the pavement but my adrenaline immediately bounced me back up (thank goodness) and I got in/started/turned on heat. Then I started to fall out and a few minutes later my girlfriend arrived because she suspected this might be happening. When you start to fade you lose senses, like touch, hearing, etc. but it's not horrible if you look at it in a non-partisan way (or third person). Like listening to a fan...time stretches...so the fan goes from a quick wooshing sound to a slower sound, like you can hear each pass of the blades. One time, I laid my face by a floor vent and the air hitting me sped my recovery and I remember the sound and light going from dull and rushing over me like a wave or crescendo of sense building back to normal as I recovered all of a sudden. It was really cool. Don't get me wrong, the stomach cramp part just *****, lol. I believe in a natural balance though. It seems to me, where you find bad, somewhere nearby must be an equal amount of good. It's just a matter of perspective, really.
CMSP - your symptoms are strikingly similar to those my wife has been experiencing over the last 3.5 years.  Can you tell us who you saw at the Mayo or how you went about getting an appointment with the right doctors there? My wife has also been to numerous doctors and had full cardiac, endocrine, mast cell workups (including a bone marrow biopsy) that were negative.  During the last episode, I think we ruled out a mast cell activation disorder.  We are at the point of being unsure what to do next.
Oh my!  So, this is a real thing (even if the "professionals" cant name it) and it's not just me!!  :-D  I'm 39, female and this has happened to me maybe 15-20  times in the past 12 years.  Sometimes I'll go more than a year without an episode.  Other times, 2-3 in the same month. Not related to heavy meals, overeating/drinking or dairy, that I can tell and I have paid attention to all of these things, looking for a common trigger.  
I've never passed out from it but, I do get the cold sweats and nausea (without vomiting). For me, these awful attacks come on very suddenly, almost always when I'm asleep (I've had 1 or 2 episodes during waking hours, but never with the same intensity) and the abdominal cramps/pain come in waves, about 2 minutes apart and last anywhere from 20 sec. to 1 min.
Sometimes, as the wave passes, I get a sensation like gas bubbles (or something?) passing along the left side of my abdomen, as if something is shifting within my intestines and as it does, the pain decreases briefly, until the next wave hits.  
These cramps/pains/attacks feel like being in active labor.  
YES - IT HURTS THAT MUCH!  
And I have a very high tolerance for pain.
Then, anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours later, I'm finally able to evacuate my bowels (this can be anything from normal stool to explosive diarrhea) and it's over, as quickly as it began.  sometimes one movement will end it, other times, it takes a few poops over the course of 10 or so minutes before it stops.
I suspect that the cold sweats and nausea (and the fainting/vomiting others have reported) may simply be due to the sheer intensity of the pain.

I told my doctor about it, several times, and he said it would be too difficult to diagnose unless I was mid-attack. I didn't believe him, so sought a second opinion and after multiple tests, I had that doc baffled as well.

Here's something interesting - this used to happen to my mother, too, occasionally.  But for her it just stopped occurring and has not come back, for many years now.  I can remember being a kid, and waking in the night to her cries of pain, while she was laying on the bathroom floor...

I just had an episode like this today. I was in a meeting when I felt a cramp on the left side of my abdomen. It hurt so bad that I doubled over (I was sitting at the time). I then felt intensely hot/cold and clammy and slight dizzy. I felt pins and needles in my arms. It suddenly subsided and returned a few minutes later. I got up thinking I just needed to stretch out my abdomen and nearly fainted. I went to the bathroom right after and felt better but still weak and the pins and needles in my arms lingered. I also developed a horrible headache. I saw my doctor and she diagnosed me with gerd and started me on medication and stool softeners. The thing is im not usually constipated but I have been the past few days. Im happy I found this forum. I wasnt satisfied with the doctors prognosis because I dont have heart burn or reflux. Thanks to all of you fir sharing!
Yes, I felt the same gas bubble thing travelling and the nausea. Its so scary. One of my cowirkers actually said that she felt the "heat" radiating off me when the 2nd wave came on...
so glad I found this. just started getting the severe stomach ache, cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea, since Sept 2014. had episode every month, except Dec. The one Jan. 9th was worst ever. lasted 9am-730pm, painful but tolerable. from 4-730 totally unbearable. but distrust doctors to ever want to call 911. bed-ridden the next day. still felt the tenderness inside until Mon. just on a bland diet for now, but plan to seriouly give up dairy, sugar, grains, fats, alcohol, spicy foods. not much left but rather figure this out through diet than doctors and drugs and surgery.
so glad I found this forum. just started getting the severe stomach ache, cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea, since Sept 2014. had episode every month, except Dec. The one Jan. 9th was worst ever. lasted 9am-730pm, painful but tolerable. from 4-730 totally unbearable. but distrust doctors to ever want to call 911. bed-ridden the next day. still felt the tenderness inside until Mon. just on a bland diet for now, but plan to seriouly give up dairy, sugar, grains, fats, alcohol, spicy foods. not much left but rather figure this out through diet than doctors and drugs and surgery.  Our food supply is tainted and definitely affecting us!
forgot to mention, felt like organs wanted to burst out of my rib cage. strip all clothes and jewelry off (felt bound), lie on floor or bed and rub stomach until pain goes away. fingers and parts of my legs went numb. worst ever...
I like many of you ... have had IBS but with mostly constipation and horrendous gas my entire life.  Here recently I am having episodes of waking up in the middle of the night with full body sweats and my heart ready to explode its beating so fast.  I feel neausious so I head to the bathroom I contemplate calling 911 but I feel like if I move I will pass out and then just as if I had food poisoning I explode from both ends and the episode is over once it is out of me.  I have only had this happen this severly 3 times in the past 6 months.  But now instead of being constipated I have diarrhea more frequently.  
Over the past 15 years I have for the most part cut out gluten, dairy, onions, msg, soy, ...live on vegan protein shakes, rice pasta, veggies, hummus that sort of stuff. With the occasional cheat that I always pay for.
Did see a GI Dr. and had a colonoscopy on my 23rd birthday and when the Dr found nothing he asked me if I really had these symptoms...I guess he thought maybe I was just bored and wanted to spend a rediculous amount of money to have somebody stick a....well anyway he sent me on my way with the suggestion of Milk of Magnesia daily and eat more salads..."Thanks Guy!"  
15 years later and now I have to go back to the doctors because I am really scared.  My GI specialist now wants to send me to get a colon-rectal monomotry done...Anybody heard of this or have any ideas of what in my body is failing me?  Could it be Gall bladder related?  The vasol vagal episodes seem like a possibility...but any treatment other than not eating anything good? lol...  
Have you found anything yet?
At least I am not the only one??? I am a 29 y/o female and like most of you, I have had this horrible episodes since I was in high school, but they are very infrequent. I know that I am a bit of a "worrier", I over analyze everything (and I chose a profession in analytics). I am trying to get better, not stressing over those things that are out of my control. However, when a lot of work and personal stress piles up, I know it can make me emotional and exhausted.

After reading all of these comments, glancing through all the others that share the same debilitating symptoms, I feel slightly relieved that it isn't a myth (or my own brain playing tricks on me). I also feel worried that they may never find an answer or something to resolve these horrendous episodes.

When I feel this pain in my stomach and the flushing starts, I will grab any and all things cold to prevent the passing out (there are lots of ice packs and ice cubes involved, and often a freezing cold shower).

While I was pregnant I had them much more frequently. In fact, I would sit on the tile floor with little clothing on to prevent from getting "over-heated" as my husband and I call it. During that period my stomach was in constant knots and I had to put this medicine under my tongue to reduce the pain.

I have only passed out once, almost immediately after having my daughter. I knew it was coming on and told the very tiny nurse (I had to be double her size post-birth) that she "better get someone to help, I was going down". The last thing I remember was grabbing her side and down I went. When I woke up I was very disoriented, but thankful that I was already at the hospital. That was almost 4 years ago.

I suppose after having my daughter a year went by and I had another late-night event. The following morning I went to the doctor. In which, they cited my vagus/vagal nerve as well, but told me that when I have these feelings to lay down in case I pass out (duh!). The one after that was about at a year ago, but I had a severe stomach bug that resulted in two full days on the bathroom floor, so it could just be the bug that got me that time. Just when I thought these things might be over for good, I had another episode last night.

After reading these comments and suggestions, it looks like I can start with making some real changes to my diet. I am a heavy dairy eater and know I don't have a great diet (in fact, I would eat dessert before I would eat anything dinner sometimes).

I am wondering if tomato-based meals are the root to my evil. I ate pizza last night (cheese and tomato), and it hit me about 1:15am. I also am guilty of a small bowl of ice cream or a glass of milk before bed at times. I am going to cut out some things, reduce others and see if this will help. It would be great if someone could find a cure or provide something that would provide immediate relief during one of these episodes. I will keep on a look out to see if someone has any answers or additional suggestions.
Viewing 801-826 comments: