Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting
I have experienced on 4 occasions in the last 6 years a rather weird Diarrhoea attack which really is painful and scary. Here is a description of what occurs.

1. Sudden abdominal pain which increases in intensity over a short time. The same sensation one might get when they are about to get Diarrhoea.

2. I go to the toilet and try excreting whatever wants to come out. However after about a minute of sitting there with nothing coming out I suddenly few light headed and am starting to get a dizzy spell like I am about to faint and my breathing weakens.

3. This borderline fainting sensation lasts for about another minute before I break out into a sudden sweat all over my body. Within a few seconds I have sweat literally pouring out of me, my clothes are wet as if I ran a marathon or something.

4. After a minute of sweating I suddenly feel something coming out of my rear end. I try to squeeze it out and only a hard stool comes out.

5. The sweating stops and the stomach cramp subsides. I think everything is over and I clean up. I walk out of the toilet and in about 2 minutes time the stomach cramp and the fainting sensation comes back (I've fainted only once to date from this and was out for about 15-20 minutes).

6. When I get back to the toilet I have a really violent Diarrhoea episode in pure liquid state. It takes a few minutes to subside and once I
Do you have blood in your stool? You may have colitis, happened to me. Antibiotics took care of it in my case.
WOW. I am SO happy I found this site. This happened last week to me on Wednesday November 25th at around 12:30am. I'm 23 years old and I was just at my laptop feeling perfectly normal. Then all of a sudden my stomach started cramping LIKE CRAZY. It was unbearable, almost as if something ruptured in my stomach and it was going to explode.
   I remembered feeling this 6 years ago while on a vacation and wanting to faint, so I had an idea that maybe I'd be feeling faint very soon. I got up to go to the bathroom because I thought maybe I just really had to poo. Just before entering the bathroom I started blacking out so just leaned on the ground for a while so I wouldnt faint. I live with family so I must have left the door slightly open just in case I did actually faint. Anyway, I went to the bathroom and was SO tired and weak but I tried to poo and barely anything came out.
  It was semi solid though. I was seeing dark this entire time but I knew something was going to happen so I just got up and put m pants on.. I had no time or energy to even wipe. I put my pants on and I remember hitting the tiled ground SO hard. I fainted but I think the hit on the ground was so hard it woke me up for a second lol.
   Anyway my mother apparently heard the hit on the ground and she found me on the ground and woke me up and I fainted again somehow. I had a bump on my head, scrapes on my neck and collarbone and my knee was also hit hard. I just drank a bottle of ensure for whatever reason after that while I waited to use the bathroom. Then I went to the bathroom and it was explosive diarrhea. I felt way better afterward and went to sleep well.                          
   I'm okay now, but I recall this feeling only once before, except I didn't faint that first time. I fainted twice this episode which is pretty scary but I'm beyond relieved to find this forum with people who have the exact same symptoms. I don't remember feeling nausea though, but everything else I felt.
   I'm not sure what I did different that day. And of all days, the day before Thanksgiving. What I recall eating was just a lot of KFC earlier that day. I also had a drink with very small amount of alcohol in it which I never have. Also, maybe an hour before that event I drank milk so I don't know if its lactose intolerance. But this wasn't as scary as the first time thankfully and Thanksgiving wasn't ruined but it's good to know I'm not alone on this! Sorry for writing so much :P
sounds like what i experience exactly....it is histamine intolerance
Im 16, a regular netball player, healthy as far as we know, with no medical conditions. This year for the first time I woke up in the middle of the night with a stomach cramp and felt like i needed to go to the bathroom, I stood up and nearly fell over because my vision was almost gone, I was so dizzy, I had a ringing so loud in my ears, i wasnt sure if it was in my ears or real, i couldnt walk in a straight line and my head was spinning. Since this was the first time it had happened I didnt know what it was and i was very scared. I made it to the bathroom, and sat myself on the toilet. I had diarrhoea, sat there for a few minutes absolutely dripping in a cold sweat, before trying to make my way back to my bed and walking into every wall possible and my head spinning so much i was nearly falling over. The second time something like this had happened to me was at netball training after doing hard sprints and pushing myself to my aerobic limits. i found that after going to the toilet i felt a lot better.
The third time was today, I did some running, I ran maybe 400m at moderate intensity then did 200m of short sprints, and then ran about 200m at a jog and had to stop because i felt so weak, then my stomach began to hurt, i was cold but i was hot at the same time, i had goosebumps an my head started to feel dizzy, so i made my way home, which was approximately 100-200m, stopping every 20 because the cramps in my stomach were that bad i wanted to cry, so i crouched down into a ball, which gave minor relief. Once i made it home, i went straight to the toilet and sat, then i began to feel dizzy, i got a cold sweat all over me, i hurt so so much i think i was crying a little too, and then the diarrhoea began. I noticed a pattern between the last two, being straight after intense exercise and within a week before my period starts, not sure if this has anything to do with it, but i noticed the similarities.

Because I'm 16, my mum doesn't seem to believe my symptoms are real and just says "you'll be okay" and assumes im exaggerating, but when i say the pain in my stomach is bad, i mean its bad, and Im so dizzy to the point i need to hold the walls just t sit down without tipping over. I would really love it if someone could  tell me what it actually is thats happening to me, since my symptoms seem to be a regular occurrence throughout many people.

This sounds exactly like  what resulted in my diagnoses of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) at 23. I was truly surprised- the intense pain and other symptoms seemed to indicate something much more serious. For me, the prescription side-effects were equally awful. 200 Mgms of OTC MAGNESIUM each night has changed my life!! Haha.. really though, it makes all the difference! Ask your doctor, read about it, etc. ;) ATB
Happy New Year! Woke up today planning a bike ride after the festive season food and alcohol. Instead spent an hour on toilet with that excruciating gut pain (I agree it is worse than childbirth), sweat explosions, throat-scouring retching (but no vomit), poo uncoiling and erupting in multiple bouts and desperation to pass out on the floor (beside the nightgown I stripped off). After finding this site, I realise I am lucky to have had months, even years, between episodes since this started happening to me at 19, mostly before periods. At 56, I am on hormone replacement therapy (a factor?). It also happens when I've been active but pooing poorly (hydration issue?), and I am a vego who eats dairy and also bulky foods (which some above have implicated). For me there is also family history of bowel conditions (including Crohns) among women.
Hi everyone oh my goodness I'm so glad i'm not the only one either! I've experienced the EXACT same thing for 3 times now. The first one I had was when I was 16 I think (I'm 19 now)

It started of with a normal stomach ache (which happens to me a lot everytime after I eat) so I deliberately went to the toilet & sat there but nothing came out (lol) but yeah I was like "Oh, alright I guess it's a false alarm then"
and as soon as I went out of the bathroom, suddenly I felt very nauseous, I really felt like vomitting and there was this severe headache which I thought was migraine at the time. My ears were ringing so loud then my head was spinning, my vision was blurry and everything around me was literally black & white. I leaned to the walls of the hallway to get a grip of myself and the nauseous feeling was back. A lady saw me struggling so she held me & asked if I was okay (I assumed, since I really couldn't focus on anything then)
Then I felt having diarrhoea, so I went back to the toilet and cold sweat was coming out and I felt REALLY weak. After I went to the toilet everything was okay again, like nothing actually happened.

The same thing had been happening to me thrice already and the cure is always to go to the toilet when the diarrhoea attacks.
Hope this helps hahaha.
Hi..I've posted in the past on this thread.. Anyway, I first started having all this happen about 15 years ago. I actually passed out on a few occasions. Over the past few years, the episodes haven't been as severe. On Monday, think it was one of the worst ones in along time. Felt fine when I got up at 5:30am, then about 10 minutes before leaving for work, that familiar feeling came over me. Thought I could get past it, but I don't know how I made it driving the whole mile to work. Upon arriving at work, I spent most of a 1-1/2 in the bathroom. Severe sweating, abdominal cramps, dizzyness, nausea and don't know how I avoided passing out.. Several bm's (noticed a bit of blood towards the end). Extremely weak for a few hours after.

Now, yesterday and today, I have passed gas with mucousy blood. Takes a few wipes to get clean. Just wondering if anybody has experienced anything like this before? Thinking about calling doctor...
I have had a mucous like substance come out occasionally when having a bowel movement or attempting to. I've always assumed it was from my runny nose running down the back of my throw. As far as having that happen in conjunction with all the other horrible symptoms I have visit me, it was not part of it. Good luck.
It's so gratifying yet sad to find others who have the same experiences; it doesn't sound like any of us have any firm answers on what causes our symptoms though. My "episodes" started in my late 20's (am now 50) - almost always the same: first a rumbling sound in my intestinal area, then waves of crampy twinges in my sigmoid colon, feeling faint (and I get pale apparently), then the nausea hits and I know I need to get to a bathroom ASAP.  I never vomit, but I do sweat buckets -soak my pj's a lot - and let me tell you - it's so weird to feel yourself sweating between your toes...I sit on the toilet waiting for the cramping to stop (and I agree, the pain is worse than labor - this coming from a woman that had a baby pulled from her with forceps after vacuum extraction failed - no drugs, no cesarean - she was stuck in the birth canal) which it finally does after a bowel movement that sounds like I am peeing.  I usually will lay on the cool bathroom floor after the initial bm, because I know that things are not over -- my episodes come and go for around 4 hours.  Most times I use a folded towel as a pillow as I sit on the potty and wait or while I'm on the floor - at this point I've had enough of these episodes to know whether it'll be a while before the next one and sometimes I just crawl back into bed in my damp pajamas until the next wave comes.  Like most of you, the majority of my bouts come at night, but sometimes they hit during the day at very inconvenient times - like at work.  Having said all that, no cause has ever been found after colonoscopy, biopsy, blood tests, etc.  (am told I have unspecified colitis- thanks that's such a great help)...But I have found a few things that without a doubt will bring on an attack - onions, bbq pork that has been simmering in the sauce (I can eat pulled pork with the sauce on the side), major stress, and progesterone (I get a shot for birth control - it's synthetic progesterone- and within a couple of days, I have an attack).  After reading all the posts here, it seems there are a few things in common among most posters - the onset of their symptoms (females, anyway) began about the time of puberty or within a few years of then - so hormones possibly contribute.   And it sounds like a lot have different food triggers...  I had the vasovagal syncope once, all the symptoms of the onset of a bout, but no bm resulted - maybe because I did faint?  Ended up in the ER for that one and the dr said a lot of people with vv pass out several times because they try to get up too quickly - stay down for a few minutes to allow the pressure on the nerve to ease.  With no definitive answer, I keep researching for a diagnosis - currently looking at "intestinal pseudo obstruction" which is a rare, hard-to-diagnose nerve/muscle disorder that delays intestinal emptying - so here are some questions for those of you that have had this problem for years -- have you also had intermittent problems with constipation since you were a child, do you have no appetite, and does fiber do more harm than good?
research histamine intolerance, i suffered this for years and finally got a correct diagnosis
I'm glad to have found this thread to see I'm not alone in having these excruciating episodes, but a little disheartened from the stories... It seems this will probably never go away, and there is little chance at a firm diagnosis or treatment. Great.

I am 27 and started having these episodes at 25/26, 3-4 times per year. Same thing as everyone else -- excruciating cramps, vasovagal response, sweating buckets, nausea, nearly passing out, and finally multiple bouts of diarrhea, which eventually makes me feel better. I haven't actually ever thrown up or passed out, but have come close (vision has gone black).

Sometimes the diarrhea has mucousy blood in it, and sometimes it doesn't. My lower abdomen and back (feels like my kidneys) are usually sore/tender the next day.

So far I have found no correlation with any particular foods or my menstrual cycle, but I will continue to pay attention to that. There is no family history of IBS or anything, but my grandpa died of colon cancer.

One time I took a stool softener at the onset of the cramps, thinking it would speed up the process, but eventually I was only passing pure blood (no stool) which ended up lasting over 24 hours. It was extremely scary. I went to a doctor and they confirmed it was internal (not hemorrhoids or anything) and they scheduled a colonoscopy but I couldn't get in for 5 months. Those 5 months went by with no problems, so I canceled the appointment. 2 months later, I finally had another one. Now I'm not sure if I should reschedule the colonoscopy or just accept the fact that these episodes are a part of my life now...
Just wanted to say that I have had these episodes for years...maybe 2-3 per year. I wondered if anyone has tried anything to keep the fainting from coming on...is there something u can do or try??
General comment for everyone. I have been suffering the same for many years as does my 2 daughters. I 'think' this is called Postprandial Reactive hypoglycemia. Basically the body floods with natural insulin which causes these effects. No known 'cure' but dairy products and alcohol can be involved.  Hope this helps
same symptoms here, very scary episodes...finally diagnosed with histamine intolerance...a relief
Gatekeeper101, did you have the abdominal complications others have had here as well? And after bowel movement, everything is more or less back to normal?
II'm sorry we are all suffering from this. I'm a 36 year old female and I just experienced this too. Sudden painful cramps, BM, sudden heat rushing over me, excessive sweating, dizzy can't stand up to wipe, feeling scared like I'm gonna die, put my head down & concentrate on my breathing. The heat is unbearable, kick my shoes off, pull my pants off. Sweat dropping off my head, wipe my head & face with toilet paper - saturated. Pass a few more BM (firm) feel nauseous at the same time, scared to vomit all over myself. Just keep breathing, smell is putrid & making me even more nauseous. Legs too weak, can't stand up. Just keep flushing & sitting there. After a few minutes, I can get up. I have a little water & then cramps start again, this time it's diarrhea, so bad it needs to be flushed twice. This happens a couple more times. I'm laying in bed now writing this, freezing cold now, can't warm up. Have a pile of blankets and 2 hot packs and still cold & weak.
I've suffered IBS for 15 years. I've had these episodes a handful of times, usually waking me at night but this episode started about 4pm. I ate fried sardines and salad for lunch. I know I have had diarrohea after sardines in the past (salmon too) but not an episode like this.
Years ago I had a colonoscopy, blood tests etc, everything clear.
My period is due today so could be linked to a hormonal shift. I'm going to go see a chiropractor & see if they can help me. I feel stupid telling a GP, as they just brush it off & say IBS. Good luck everyone
sardines sounds like a trigger for histamine intolerance...research this and you will find your symptoms
I've been experiencing exactly this for several years now, usually once or twice a year it happens, sometimes more.

It happened again last night, which is the reason I've been google searching and ended up here.

The process for me is mostly the same as anyone else: Bubbling/cramping pains like I'm going to have diarrhea. Once I'm on the toilet, I can't actually produce a bowel movement, but the cramps intensify and I start to feel light-headed, nauseous and my vision starts to fade-to-black. Yesterday, whilst experiencing this stage of the 'attack' my ears started ringing, it was very loud. I usually stop myself from passing out by getting a member of the family to hand me a cold towel which I hold over my face. I have passed out several times though in the past during the 'attack'.

Once the majority of the bowel movement is over and I've passed an exorbitant amount of diarrhea, the symptoms subside and I start to feel okay again.

It's so strange. I thought I'd figured out the cause at Christmas this year, as I usually always receive Haribo sweets at Christmas and I had eaten a large amount of them the night before my previous episode. However, the episode I experienced last night was not caused by Haribo, so I'm not so sure anymore.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.
research histamine intolerance
I'v e suffered from this about 4 times now. It starts  with regular cramps from a normal bout of diarrhea. It's slowly or quickly intensifies to where I am confused on the toilet and having feelings of contractions as though I'm going into labor. Having 2 children without medication I know pain and this could be really damn close to the pain of childbirth. I usually pass a very hard stool. On two occasions at this point I  fainted, pants down *** up on the bathroom floor.  At one point I woke up in a pool of black diarrhea and  the other time I was able to wake up and make it back to the toilet.  I am usually confused ,very weak,shaking and sweating bullets.  While passing the black diarrhea I often have a feeling of hot liquid rising in my body all the way to my heart. Very scary.  Once the black diarrhea is expelled I usually feel better even if momentarily but the shivering begins.  I have often push myself into the shower fully clothed and let the hot water run on me for fear of drowning if I filled the tub.  After my second attack I started paying attention to my lifestyle in the days leading up to the event. I was on a medication that had constipation listed as a side   effect in at least two cases I had eaten a lot of cheese. I  bought a medicine holder with labels of the days of the week on the lids and  now I take a stool softener every 3rd day.  If I miss having a bowel movement for more than 2 days I immediately take a gentle laxative.  I think the dietary changes have been my biggest help in avoiding this the last year. I  eat yogurt at every lunch and greens at every dinner and I've cut down on Cheese (my fav).  I try to avoid holding in bowel movements at any cost even at the cost of using a public restroom I would normally avoid at all costs.  I've also cut down on my salt intake  by cutting out soda and using unsalted butter. Small changes.  I have also started drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day, versus the one glass a day I usually drink. When I'm on medications  drinking alcohol or doing anything athletic I often drink 10. If  you suffer from any health problems and are often stuck at home I would recommend taking a walk for at least 20 min a day if possible or any exercises you can manage.I haven't had any attacks since I've made these changes however, I will keep you posted . Just so you know visiting the doctor about this is very important. I did and my blood work all came back normal which led me to make these dietary changes.
This has just literally happened to me the now there,I honestly thought I was going to die!horrible!I too get this several times a year and cannot find out what causes it.Anyone know what it could be?really don't want to go through it again.
research histamine intolerance, and you will find your symptoms and how to avoid triggers and treat the very scary episodes
I am so glad I found this. I unfortunately do not have a solution, only empathy  because I can relate. I discovered this thread yesterday morning after an attack that I hadn't had in a number of years.

It started around age 8 (was being molested at that time in my life). About once or twice a year beginning at age 8, I would awaken at night with a sensation of needing to have diarrhea. What would happen was that I would sit on the toilet, groaning in agony, sometimes with a bible even praying for relief...as a child.

Every episode I have experienced from that age until yesterday goes the same:
-Late at night awakening with urge to have diarrhea
-Stagger to toilet and experience a lower abdominal fullness with urge to empty my bowels, to no avail
-Experience what I feel are intestinal contractions that come in waves, with each waves lasting about 30 seconds. The waves increase in intensity and the pain is unbearable.
-During each wave of pain my blood pressure spikes, which results in ringing in my ears, excess sweating and my vision fading in and out. I feel like I am having a sort of an out-of-body experience.
-Any efforts to twist my body, bear down or breathe deep only intensify the pain
-After the wave of pain subsides (for a short time), I am left exhausted and sweaty. The first few waves do not result in any sort of emptying of my bowels.
-Eventually, one of the waves will produce diarrhea, which finally decreases the intensity of pain.
-After I finally empty my bowels (or so I think) I stumble back to bed, sweaty and freezing cold. I lay in bed, exhausted and relieved but feeling quite chilled, as if I have the flu.
-I manage to fall asleep but awaken a short time later with same fullness in my lower intestines and I stumble back to the bathroom. This time, I empty whatever is left in my bowels quickly without the pain that accompanied me in the first round.
-Finally, I can go back to bed and sleep, still feeling chilled and drained. When I wake up again in the morning, it is as if nothing ever even happened. I feel normal.

As I had said above, I have typically only experienced this once or twice a year and until yesterday morning, I had not experienced this in at least 5 years. I am currently 35 years old.
probably histamine intolerance
I'm so glad I found this site. I've been a sufferer of this for about 15 years now. My symptoms start the same as everyone has mentioned. Severe stomach cramping (yes this pain is worse than labor) followed by extreme sweating. I have never fainted but I do get very nauseous. The pain last for a minute or two but you feel like you are about to die. I've attempted on several occasions to go to the emergency room but I had to stop at least 5 times in my travels there and by the time I reached the hospital I was on the downside of the episode. As everyone has mentioned, once the diarrhea hits, I feel some comfort, but this usually takes about 3 rounds of having the diarrhea burst. My doctor prescribed me Levsin which helps with stomach spasms, I place the pill under my tongue at the onset of the cramping. Now you're still going to cramp but not as long and you go straight to diarrhea. A coworker has the same issue as all of us and she told me about Levsin.  Still don't have a diagnosis for what this is called but with the Levsin, it has cut the time I actually suffer in half. Hope this helps someone.
research histamine intolerance
Thank you for the input Bristol. I will look into that, but for me, the whole episode progresses so fast that I have never considered drugs taken after onset. This is my first post to this site.

Hello fellow sufferers,

I am a male age 57 and have had this affliction since I was 8. I am not overweight and have never been. I have had countless episodes over the years; a conservative estimate would be pushing 50. I have a memory of the second grade when after an episode at school (in which I was found passed out on the bathroom floor), the teacher, after consulting with my mother, would ask a classmate to follow me to the bathroom if I left in the middle of class. I can’t tell you how much embarrassment this has caused me throughout my life but I’m sure some of you can understand.

Other memories include lying on a bed in the nurse’s office in grade school flush and seeing spots, praying that I would not pass out and hoping my stomach would rumble and give me some relief. It felt like a blockage and I knew that the inevitable would have to happen for complete relief. Waiting is excruciating because suppression causes unbearable pain and relief involves having an explosion that is very embarrassing around strangers. Growing up, the one thought that I carried was that I hoped that no one would be around when I had an episode.

In my late teens and early twenties I began to learn of some triggers. After having numerous episodes from Chinese restaurants, I finally learned that MSG was one of them. This was the one that would cause the daytime episodes because it always happened within a certain timeframe after eating. I had to ask my mother-in-law to stop putting Accent on her vegetables because of the episodes I was having while visiting. Later in my thirties I learned that it was guacamole. I think it is the avocados but maybe a combination with the garlic. One other trigger was having too much orange juice in the morning, probably the citric acid.

By far the most severe episodes happen when awakened from sleeping with a gut wrenching pain. The deeper the sleep at the time, the less time I had to react and get to the bathroom. Sometimes I don’t fully awaken before the dizziness and VVS start so it sometimes is only after the episode, when I am sitting on the toilet, trying to calm my heavy breathing that I come to full realization of what has happened.

It is because of an episode that I had five days ago now that I am writing this. I found this blog from an internet search of my symptoms and it was quite an awakening to find out that there are others out there like you all. It is no longer a me thing and now a we. I have read almost every post and it has taken me hours. Thank you all for sharing. It has helped with my feelings of inferiority.

Confirming my symptoms, skip this paragraph if you want. Growing low abdominal pain in the area of the navel or lower. The pain, to me, is distinguishable at the onset from any other pain or a normal stomach ache (sorry I can’t explain this) and causes dread on the edge of fear. If I am driving it is pure panic. As the pain increases in severity, I begin to feel flush and the cold sweats start. I don’t strip clothing because the pain takes all of my concentration and I have soaked many a shirt. I have on occasion eased myself off the toilet to lie on the floor but I don’t usually want to for fear of missing my target. Ringing in the ears, tunnel vision, usually when VVS is oncoming.

In my latest and to date my most severe case I was sleeping after the night shift (physical stress?) when it started at 1130am. I made to the bathroom and as best I can figure, was in the motion of sitting but went forward instead of back as I passed out and did a face plant on the tile floor. I had a BM while I was passed out on the floor and when I regained vision, used every effort I could muster to get on the seat. The episode left me with a fat lip and a broken nose.

Going forward, my biggest fear is having an episode when I’m older when my heart gets weaker and it kills me because this does put a great strain on the heart. It is a serious form of trauma, both physically and mentally.

Lastly, this recent episode was the first that I have had in 3-4 years. I attribute this great span to eating better and taking a daily fiber supplement. The biggest obstacle to making this part of your routine is taking the first step. Staying regular makes a big difference in reducing episodes. The fiber really helps reduce ANY hard stools and thus blockage. It is possible to have a life as I am still enjoying mine. Hang in there and maybe we can figure this out together.

Thank you for your time and giving me some therapy.
Your comments mirror exactly what happened to me yesterday - I was so terrified but then felt OK ish two hours later which made me think how the hell has that much pain, lightheadedness and nearly fainting happened and got better so quickly ! I was in my own up a hill too! Had to call my hub who was scared and didn't know what to do!! It's so odd but good to read these forums
I, too, have this occasionally...maybe 3-4 times a year...had one in early March and then just today. I believe it is my vasovagal response to needing a bowel movement and being under-hydrated. Just this morning I felt gas-cramps; which escalated. I ended up laying on our cold tile bathroom floor, hardly able to whisper for help, breathing shallow, and grunting in pain. My lips lost all color -- I'm normally pale, but these episodes take it to another level. I would get back to the toilet to try to have a bowel movement, but I was only to lay down again on the floor or else I would have passed out. I was so weak and so thirsty. Fortunately, my little girl was able to get me a glass of water, but I could not sit up to drink it so she brought me a straw. After about half an hour of this, I was on the upswing. I napped afterwards as I felt wiped out. Normally it ends with an explosive bowel movement, but no such luck today. After the bm, I usually feel much better. So, I have self-diagnosed it as a vasovagal response due to under-hydration and needing a bm. It is really horrible. I feel lucky I have always been home for these episodes.
histamine intolerance....these are the classic symptoms
Stumbled upon this post and am feeling so relieved to know so many others share the same symptoms. I've had this thrice now in 2 years.

First time it happened I was in Africa. I was fine and then suddenly I was not. I felt bloated, nauseated and a creeping pain was making its way across my belly - like the pain before a bad stomachache but worse. It went on and off. I farted a lot lol, smelt like hell. Went to the bathroom to poop. Nothing came out. The pain intensified and it got so bad I was out of my mind, sweating buckets of cold sweat, twisting and digging into my stomach with my fingers in an attempt to lessen the pain. I was trembling and thought this was it. I was gonna die in a hotel toilet and they'll only discover my **** stained body the next day. I remember pulling my legs up and placing my feet on the toilet bowl seat, trying to squeeze myself upon myself, if that makes sense. It helped with the pain a little. After a few rounds of the cramping, I finally had seriously explosive diarrhoea. The pain left, but the nausea remained. I cleaned up a little and weakly left the toilet, pulling my undies up slowly. On the way out, the pain came back and instantly all I saw was a spinning room that was slowly fading to black. It was like everything was in slow motion. I collapsed onto the bed, ringing in my ears, undies around my legs, sweating profusely. I managed to stay conscious by concentrating really really hard on a spot of blanket. Finally I felt better and managed to go back to the toilet for another round of explosions. I stayed in there for the next few hours.

Next morning, I checked out feeling absolutely fine. But confused.

Fast forward a year later and I'm in Japan for a holiday. After a day of drinks and eating and having a merry time with my friends and Boyfriend, my bf and I headed back to the apartment. Started feeling a bit of a tummy ache but just brushed it off as a normal one. After a few mins it became apparent the pain was something I had experienced before. Spent the next few hours screaming weakly from the toilet, with my poor bf sitting outside completely clueless as to what to do. I could hardly talk and it was excruciating to answers questions. Touch too like a concerned hand on my back made me irritated and I felt worse. I was once again drenched in cold sweat, felt nauseated beyond words and kept my hands under running cold water (sink was right next to toilet bowl) to keep alert and from passing out. Finally, had some really crazy explosive bm and finally, finally managed to crawl out and into the arms of my poor bf, who had literally sat on the floor near the toilet waiting to catch me if I had fainted. I also induced vomiting as I was so sick of feeling sick, without anything coming out. I thought throwing up would make me feel better but it DID NOT, so don't try to do such a stupid thing like I did.

Last episode just happened but I suspect I'm not done with it yet. I still feel bloated and nauseated. Lying in bed waiting for the next wave.
I'm always getting this,first got stomach pain back in 2012 it eventually went. But this year since March I've been getting stomach ache 3 or 4 times a week. Often feeling sick and diarrhoea to. Last night I actually thought I was going to die. Got really bad stomach pain, felt ever so hot, and was about to pass out until I went outside and sat down in a cool breeze. Went to doctors last week might go back again tomorrow. Last week he put me on a 48 hour water only diet, no food at all. Just want to feel better now.
As much as it's a relief that I'm not alone in experiencing these same exact symptom....it's worrisome because no one has a definitive answer. I've seen user 'goldenpons' refer to histamine intolerance in repeated posts, so I will definitely look into that....thanks!

But here are my experiences, which are way too similar to what everyone else has reported.

I had my first episode Valentine's night in 2009 as I was bartending an extremely busy shift. I wasn't able to eat much that evening since I was so busy. Hours into my shift I got a really bad stomach ache and ran to the bathroom leaving only 1 bartender behind the bar. I thought I would have a BM and be over with it, but the stomach pains increased in intensity. I started sweating profusely. I managed to leave the stall to find someone to help me (while my pants were still down). I re-entered the stall and felt like I couldn't breathe, while the pains increased and then disappeared. I could only refer to the pain as worse than contractions. I thought I was dying. My friend was going to call 911, but I insisted that I only needed to poop. I drank water and had a cold towel on my neck. Finally,  after almost an hour I was able to 'release' a couple rounds, and felt relieved. I was weak the remainder of the evening but it was over. I went to the dr a couple days later and did a transvaginal ultrasound, as the dr thought it was possibly an ovarian cyst that ruptured, but by that time there wasn't anything to see.

I never experienced this again until a couple months ago (May 2016). I had a kale salad and burger patty for dinner. I was watching a movie afterwards and suddenly got a sharp stomach pain which I figured was gas. Then the pain came on stronger. I ran to the bathroom to hopefully pass whatever gas or BM that was building up, but the pain increased and I started sweating profusely. I remembered what I went thru years earlier and panicked. I called my boyfriend in the bathroom to help me. He didn't know what to do. He said he couldn't understand anything I was saying I thought I was on drugs. He got an ice pack for my neck and cold water for me to drink with a straw, as I couldn't lift my head. After what seemed like 'forever' with contractions, I finally passed solid stool. Then the pains started again to release diarrhea. After another diarrhea round it was over. I climbed into bed still sore in the stomach, but woke up feeling great.

And then it happened early this morning. I had a stomach ache all day yesterday but figured I waited too late in the day to eat, and had major gas. I went to bed with the stomach ache but thought I'd sleep it off. Instead I woke about 6am in pain. Ran to the bathroom and once the sweats came on, I yelled out to my boyfriend that it was happening again and that I needed help. He ran to the kitchen to get me an ice pack for my neck, but when he came back to the bathroom, i had fallen and passed out in the shower stall (rear end up) next to the toilet. He woke me up and got me back on the toilet. I thank god this episode didn't last as long as the previous time, but this was the first time I've passed out. After I was able to pass diarrhea, I was able to make it back to bed. This morning my stomach is still cramped....I'm  worried it'll  happen again at any moment.

Hope we can all find some resolution to this curse :(
I have the same exact symptoms happen about once every few months and I can't get any resolution to the problem. I have never passed out but have come close and sometimes I'm so nauseated that I vomit. I wish we knew what this was and were able to treat it. It's absolute hell when it occurs and believe me I know, it's worse than labor and passing a kidney stone!
I am relieved to know I am not the only one that has experienced this. Only this happened when I was only 16 years old and it never occurred again. The difference is that the pain was so unbearable that I lost eyesight until I fainted.

I got woken up at around 5am, normal time for me to get ready for school. I had this cramp that I thought it was my cue to go to the toilet. I walked to my bathroom and sat there for a few seconds, when I realized the pain was intensifying each ticking second. Panicked, I try pushing hoping it was just my stomach trying to poo. The pain got even worse, and I just held myself whimpering in pain. I was scared out of my mind, even more so because I was home alone. My parents had gone to the hospital that night for my dad's knee pain. I needed to give them a call so I got up and tried to walk myself over to my room. The pain was just unbearable, and that's when I lost eyesight. The room suddenly turned black. I thought the power had gone out so, I stumbled and found the light switch. Nothing. I touched my eyes to make sure they were open. All this time I'm holding myself because of this pain. I started to see some light and that's when I realized it was me who couldn't see. As the pain grew worse, I lose all eyesight again. Finally, I reached my room and without reaching to my phone I collapsed right there and fainted. I woke up who knows how many minutes later to find myself still with no eyesight. I felt something heavy down my pants but I ignored it. I walked all over my house until my eyesight returned. When I went to see what the heavy thing was, to my horror it was my own poop.

My parents returned shortly after and they freaked out. I felt so much better so I told them i didn't need to go to the hospital. But I'm 23 now and that memory still haunts me. What was that? No one has an exact answer.

I hope someone can tell me if they've had a similar experience.
I have been dealing with the same exact thing for 16 years. I have no idea what causes it. I have a BM twice a day and have never been constipated in my life. My first episode was when I was 15. The pain was so bad I passed out. I felt the need to poop so I went to the bathroom. I sat there but nothing came out and then the pain came. The pain was absolutely unbearable, and it came on fast. I was doubled over on the toilet and felt myself getting lightheaded and felt my eyes slowly closing. I whimpered out my mama's name and that's the last thing I remember. I came to with my mama holding me up on the toilet. I finally pooped once I was passed out. It wasn't hard or liquidy. It was like soft serve icecream and it had an almost chemical type smell to it. My mom cleaned me up, but by this time I was soaked from sweat and alarmingly pale. She told me to go to my bedroom but I ended up passing out again on my way to my room. My mom drove me to the hospital where they ran a lot of tests on me. Everything came back negative. I have experienced these "spells" hundreds of times since then. I'm always told it's IBS but I have never heard of IBS being this bad. The only thing that helps for me is an ice hold shower. It's the only thing that keeps me from fainting. The pain is still unbearable to this day and I've given birth to three children. Please, if anyone knows what this is let me know because I would love to have answers. This is no way for a person to live.
I have experienced the exact same thing several times over the past 6 years or so. Maybe longer. It used to be very occasional, then for while it became very frequent and I started suspecting food intolerances, IBS, stress. I kept a food log and could not come to any conclusions. I could go days eating everything in my diet without issues and then randomly it would cause trouble. Or I could go days without eating the suspected offenders and would still have symptoms.

Then after starting Lexapro, I had these episodes less and less to the point I thought it was related to anxiety. I ended up going a year or longer without any incidents. Then after a while I started having the symptoms again but they were much more bearable while on the Lexapro, they didn't hurt as much for some reason.

Then I quit lexapro and was still fine, but started getting theses episodes very infrequently again. I even got it while doing the paleo autoimmune diet for 45 days. I got it about 2 weeks into it I think. Which is what told me it had nothing to do with specific foods. There was hardly anything I could eat at all.

Anyway, the conclusion I came to is that this is related to constipation. I started noticing that the symptoms seem to manifest when I have been constipated for a few days (which is very common for me, has been this way for my entire life) AND I eat something that makes my intestines want to empty out ASAP. Such as high amounts of high fiber foods (pop corn, corn, veggies in general after not eating them regularly) and foods high in fat.

I did not have a single incident with any of those foods if I have been having regular bm, even if they look constipated. And if I feel I'm too constipate, I avoid the above mentioned foods.

My theory is that these foods stimulate the bowels and cause contractions, so to speak, and gas, that then becomes painful because the intestine is already somewhat full and kind of blocked. Not a true blockage, but enough that gas can't pass easily, let alone stool. The movement/contractions, press on the vagus nerve causing a vasovagal response (lightheadedness, nausea, sweating, fainting).

The only thing I have to explanation for is the fact that it is impossible to have a BM for a while and even when I can, it's difficult. Even though I have the urge, and I'm trying. It's like there's some type of spasm and I think that's what makes it worse, because your body is trying to eject all of this waste violently and something is not allowing it, which causes the pain to be even more horrible and last longer. I honestly think that if I was able to have a bm right away, it would not be nearly as bad.

I have no idea if this theory is right, but I have been fine ever since I tried to follow these rules. Hopefully that will be the case for a lot who read this because this is not good, it seriously makes me want to die and I wonder if labor would be much worse. I hope not because I will ask to be knocked out if so, it's so unbearable and it's strange to me that something so simple as gas and bowel contractions could be so painful and debilitating. Luckily I have never passed out, but have come close. Somehow I think my extreme anxiety due to the pain and fear of passing out keeps me from passing out.
I agree it has to do with constipation.
I had IBS years ago and was told it was to do with sever constipation.  I changed my diet, added extra fibre, more fluid, and made sure I was not constipated.  reduced stress in my life too.  all this seemed to work.  Recently a consultant who I was seeing for respiratory problems altered my medication to include medication for reduction of acid reflux.  I took it for a month and had to discontinue due to severe stomach pain after eating.  I have now not been on it for 2 months and I am still getting the stomach pain after eating - fainting with the pain it is so severe, sweating, and shivering, feeling sick (sometimes I am sick) but not problems with bowels.  after having not had this for literally years I am so fed up.  I have been trying taking supplement with additional acid, enzymes, including apple cider vinegar with each meal and this does seem to help.  Last time I ended up in A & E because they thought I was having a heart attack - all they did was endless tests for heart problems and totally ignored me saying it was my stomach etc.  No help from the medical professionals so I am going with trying to sort it out myself like before.  I get afraid to eat, and afraid to go out in case I pass out again.  No way to live is it?
Is anyone having these symptoms on Lisinopril or another ace inhibitor blood pressure med?
I take lisinopril. My doctor doubled my dose this week and I had an episode this morning! I haven't had one in a year and a half. I had never had problems with this until the last 3-4 years. I've been taking lisinopril a little longer than that.
I have the same exact thing happen to me. Ever get a diagnosis?
The same just happened to me about 15 min ago. I grilled some hot dogs and ate baked beans with chips and salsa and some onions on my hot dogs. Shared a small piece of cheesecake with my gf. About two hours later I was eating a small bowl of ice cream and felt like I had to pass gas which I was able to stand up and do successfully. Then after my ice cream I still felt like I really had to pass gas again so I went to the toilet and I sat there for a few seconds and nothing came so I lightly pushed a few times. I immediately started to feel dizzy like I was about to pass out. I felt like I couldnt take a good breath either. So I stood up and put my arms above my head and tried to take a few steps but was so busy I think I ended up just walking in a circle a few times lol. Then the cold sweats came. I was sweating head to toe. I managed to make it across the hall to my roommates room and asked him to call am ambulance for me because I honestly thought I was having a stroke or something. During our conversation I noticed I could barely hear anything. Like I had ear muffs on or something. Anyway I barely made it back to the toilet before having diarrhea. It was very watery and burned really bad. I slowly started to feel better after that. I feel kind of weak right now and my head hurts but other than that I'm fine. Hope this helps find a diagnosis. I haven't been able to find anything out but I'll be back to post any findings if there are any. God bless. I wish everyone the best.
The same just happened to me about 15 min ago. I grilled some hot dogs and ate baked beans with chips and salsa and some onions on my hot dogs. Shared a small piece of cheesecake with my gf. About two hours later I was eating a small bowl of ice cream and felt like I had to pass gas which I was able to stand up and do successfully. Then after my ice cream I still felt like I really had to pass gas again so I went to the toilet and I sat there for a few seconds and nothing came so I lightly pushed a few times. I immediately started to feel dizzy like I was about to pass out. I felt like I couldnt take a good breath either. So I stood up and put my arms above my head and tried to take a few steps but was so dizzy I think I ended up just walking in a circle a few times lol. Then the cold sweats came. I was sweating head to toe. I managed to make it across the hall to my roommates room and asked him to call am ambulance for me because I honestly thought I was having a stroke or something. During our conversation I noticed I could barely hear anything. Like I had ear muffs on or something. Anyway I barely made it back to the toilet before having diarrhea. It was very watery and burned really bad. I slowly started to feel better after that. I feel kind of weak right now and my head hurts but other than that I'm fine. Hope this helps. I have not been able to find anything out but I'll be back to post any findings if there are any. God bless. I wish everyone the best.
Ok, so this happened to me just this past week & I actually was hospitalized for dehydration, a CT Scan wE done & the CT Scan showed Colitis & my white count was nearly 20,000. Dr's put me on I.V Antibiotics & I feel much better. Dr's said that temporary episodes can be brought on by an infection or virus. This was my second experience. I recommend getting into see a gastro doctor, as I was advised to do, for an upper & lower G.I
I have the answer.

Now that I have your attention, do as I did to verify that my cause, is indeed, your cause. Our issue is not a biological one - it's a MECHANICAL and ANATOMICAL one.

It's called VOLVULUS. I've suffered on and off with all the pains associated on this thread. Sudden urge to go to the bathroom (but can't), sweating, pain - only to end up on the floor, passed out, because my body can not endure or withstand the level of pain I experience in the moment.

I won't make this long, as I am actually scheduled to go into surgery tomorrow. But, I remembered this thread, and thought to come here and share my discoveries.

The reason colonoscopies, camera pills, endoscopies and all the other tests come back clean is because those are all tests that look on the INSIDE of your GI tract. They look for biological factors that may provide insight as to what's going on, but because there aren't any, they send us home with an IBS diagnosis that leaves us sufferers...nowhere.

I made it a point to see a doctor at Cedars-Sinai and thought if the doctors at Cedars don't know, I will accept this lifelong disability. Prior to seeing the GI specialist at Cedars, I had seen *at least* 15 other GI specialists in the past - with no answer other than IBS.

This time, the doctor said, we are going to stop looking in the INSIDE and, instead, start to look on the OUTSIDE of your GI tract. He had a suspicion that SIGMOID VOLVULUS was the culprit, and ordered me a test I had never done before: Barium enema test with air of the large intestine and colon.

He had the Chief Radiologist at Cedars perform the test, as he was searching for specifics, and was seeking confirmation on his suspicion. Sure enough, all the twisting and turning is right there in black and white on a series of 14 X-rays I took that day.

Over the years of events of volvulus (twisting of the intestines) it has stretched areas of the colon and forced it to lose its elasticity. Because of this, the colon grows longer after each attack, giving itself even more 'rope' for a higher risk of volvulus to happen again the next time.

Volvulus is quite common in elderly people, and almost every time, it can be caught and seen on an X-ray.

My disadvantages, as I suspect many of you out there also have, was my AGE (attacks started at 15 years old, I am now 40), and the NATURE of the volvulus itself.

The NATURE is defined as this: just as quickly as the sudden twist happens, it also, just as quickly, UNtwists itself, suddenly.

That's why by the time we see a doc at the ER after an attack, the twist is gone, the blockage is clear, and they send you home with an IBS diagnosis because, afterall, that's what's in your file backed up by alllllll the other GI docs you may have seen, legitimizing the diagnosis.

After so much pain, heartache and mystery, I am now scheduled for a colectomy. It's quite normal to have a redundant colon - but mine came up REDUNDANT, redundant from the many years of suffering.

Do yourself a favor, and insist on a barium enema (with air) test to rule out (or in!) sigmoid volvulus. The test itself is painful and was hard to endure - namely because they are poking around (with air and laxatives) in the exact area that is already sensitive. Knowing the test will be hard to handle may prepare you for being able to handle it. The first time I did it, I gave up. The second time, I was determined and was able to see it through.

As a side note, and for anyone thinking this, too, is your cause, the surgeon expressed to me how SMART my GI specialist is (whose volvulus theory came from) in not performing yet another colonoscopy. Surgeon said that because of the intestinal damage over the years as a result of these attacks, parts of the intestinal wall are so thin, that yet another colonoscopy could have easily punctured the wall, leaving me with a much, much bigger problem.

Please consider investigating that, like me, your problem is a MECHANICAL one, and not BIOLOGICAL. Look into volvulus. Even if you don't catch an active one on screen on an x ray (real-time twisting), have your doc, radiologist and/or surgeon (preferably all 3), look further into this for you. You have to be your own advocate.

I owe my life to that GI specialist I saw at Cedars. Take this idea and see if you can apply it onto yourself to verify that this, too, is your cause.

Good luck to all - and good luck to me on my surgery tomorrow!

You really seem to know what your talking about. This happened to me just last night and I am planning on going to see my doctor but I am 17 weeks pregnant. Im worried they wont be able to do any testing to find out whats going on. Do you know if the testing could harm the baby or this issue alone could harm the baby?
I'm intrigued by your discovery. I think you have answered what causes the intense paralyzing pain. But what can we do to prevent/ stop an attack? In my case, as well as others, the attack is caused by something we ingest (eat or drink).
I'm getting the test done in 10 days. I literally showed my doctor your comment and he agreed to test me but because of allergies I have to have it done a little differently. I am hoping for an answer. This has been going on since I was a teen and I will be 35 this year. I've had tons of other tests done, including neurological and heart testing. I had a positive tilt table and we found out that when I pass out dieting these expisodes my heart stops. My cardiologist wants to put a pacemaker in eventually. But I feel like that's all secondary, why is this happening. That's what I need to know.
You're right - fainting is only secondary to the actual intestinal problem. How'd your test go? What was the result of the barium anema test?
Well, I'm on the other side of my surgery. Was in the hospital for about 6 days, and recovery is about 6 weeks. Thought to check in here and see there are some questions. I'll answer to the best of my ability because I am learning little by little with each doc appt. I go to.

Armyof4: Honestly, I have no idea whether the Barium Anema test with air can be done while you are pregnant. My *guess* would be no - but ask your dr to be sure. Reason I think this is because they will pump your large intestines and colon with the barium and the air and they purposefully make it swell up (super painful!) so that they get clear images of what the intestinal tract looks like on the X-ray. Also, they make you move around in many positions as they take the images, and that alone, as a pregnant person, is challenging enough. Don't take my word for it, though - please ask your doctor. Oh - and there's also prep involved before taking the test - clearing your GI system out. That alone may be risky - but again, not sure in your case.

hellbrunn: I learned from my last appt that volvulus can happen in 3 areas: 1) at the bottom of the ascending colon 2) somewhere near/at the transverse colon or 3) in my case, sigmoid area - which is towards the end of the tract - hence, SIGMOID volvulus (in my case). If one has volvulus issues, it happens in one of these three places. Most likely, I, and many I suspect on here, were born with 'extra' colon or large intestine. Because this condition mainly hits either really young people (ages 3 - teen) or the elderly, people like me who first started seeing a doc about this in my 20's (I'm now 40) was not considered for volvulus. Although I started having them in my teens, I'd blow it off as 'something I ate/went down wrong' and by the time I started seriously seeing docs about it, I was already well into my 20's - and that's a ripe age for IBS diagnoses.

I convinced myself for the longest time that it was certain ingredients that was causing this. I went dairy free and gluten free for the longest times. Still having attacks in the midst of those dietary changes convinced me otherwise. I had to accept that everything I was eating was going down wrong - because outside of a worse case scenario of volvulus, I'd always have intestinal pain - especially at night after dinners.

From what I understand, volvulus happens because one of those three areas I mentioned become 'loose' - they are not fixed in place. When it's loose like that, it has the freedom to twist whenever it feels like it.

To anyone else reading: One scary thing that I learned...is that because, in my case, the twists and turns had formed a ball in me (I had a friend who thought that mass on the X-ray was a baby!), the intestinal walls had thinned so much. This, in my case, is the result of 25 years - your individual cases will be different. Surgeon said had we not caught this, because the intestinal walls are so thin, over time, blood supply/circulation would eventually stop going to those parts - resulting in partial to whole colon dying WITHIN my body. THIS IS WHY IT'S SO IMPORTANT TO PRESS, PRESS, PRESS the doctors to get to the bottom of your issue.

My basic advice to the both of you here who have responded, and to anyone else reading, is to have this discussion of volvulus being your case, and take the barium enema with air x ray exam to rule it out/in - and take it from there.

My surgery resulted in the removal of one and a half feet of damaged colon, but still have about 3 ft of good intestine left. Type of surgery performed was called "laparoscopic assisted colectomy" - but don't let the laparoscopic name fool you - this definitely was major surgery. My tract is now re-designed, and has a more upside down 'U' shape. There is no chance of a sigmoid volvulus to happen now, as that portion of the tract was made to give it a more 'straight' passage.

Hope this info is helpful to anyone reading. Again, take my basic advice: discuss volvulus with your doc (make sure your doc has enough knowledge/experience with this condition), then take the Barium enema with air test to rule it in - or out.

Good luck to all!
Hi everyone, so glad to have stumbled upon this site.  Every so often I type my symptoms in and see what comes up.  Looks like I hit the jackpot this time.  I am a 60 year old female and I have been having these episodes since my 20s.  I have had them wake me from a sound sleep and I have had them come on while I am out and about running errands.  Both are equally horrendous, I assure you.  The earliest symptoms are pressure in my abdomen and often I can hear gas bubbling on my left side.  This is the point at which I start chewing Tums.  I hate using public bathrooms, so if I am out running errands I immediately start thinking of where an acceptable public restroom is, or I begin calculating my distance home.  I know I have approximately 15 minutes between spasms.  The thing is, though, I do not know at which point the need to use the bathroom will come.  Even though I feel like I have to defecate, I almost never do at this point.  First, the sweat starts, copious amounts of it, then the urge to take my clothes off.  Like others, my first bowel movement may be somewhat firm, but I know that is just the prelude.  My breathing gets shallow, I become extremely weak to the point of being unable to lift my head.  I begin to fear I am going to faint, though I never have.  I do, sometimes, vomit.  Now the sweat is pouring off me in sheets, yet I am cold.  The cramping is ferocious.  I am so exhausted.  My head is throbbing and my lips are tingling.  I have on occasion been so fearful of passing out that I have crawled onto the floor with a garbage bag beneath me, or if I am really hot, I will climb into the cool tub with the garbage bag.  AT this point, my diarrhea is explosive and, as another poster mentioned smells ungodly.  The line between sick and done is never ambiguous.  I immediately feel better and all I want to do is curl up in bed.  I make my way to the shower and wash the horror of the past few hours off of me and usually without drying off, crawl into bed.  I can go months without an attack, or I can have three attacks in the same week.  The severity of the attacks varies greatly also.  Just an aside, I have discovered that Poo-pouri works great.  I keep it at work and in my car and handbag because there is nothing worse than having an attack in the work bathroom and it smells to high heaven.  Maybe with so many of us gathered here, we can put a name to this monster.  Oh, a bit more information that might be relevant.  In 2007, I had RNY gastric bypass surgery, so much of my intestine has been removed.  I do not remember anymore if it was large or small intestine, but I am thinking small.
I recently posted. Check if you have the condition of 'volvulus'. You'll have to do a 'Barium enema with air' test. They will take a series of X-rays while the barium is in you, to see what the anatomical shape of your large intestine and colon is.
I;ve been having these issues as well but mine come along with paralysis of my hands,face and feet. They start tingling and then just cramp up and I can't move them. Does this or did this happen to you?  
I have exactly the same experience. What is it? I have the cramps, diarrhea, sweating, vomiting. I have been to three doctors, that can't tell me anything.  Always has happened at night.  It's awful and so painful, I don't know what to do.
Just like you I am so relieved to discover these Posts. I am a 72 yr old Female who had my first "attack" in my mid 20's. that one was triggered by Homemade Ice Cream, it was the mildest episode. Subsequent events are triggered by watermelon....spent
Several MISERABLE hours on the floor in Mexico not sure I could get on the plane to fly home. Over the last 30 yrs. each episode is worse than the last. I do have IBS and encourage everyone to add Probiotics to their daily diets....tremendous improvement
In the IBS symptoms. I avoid Lactose
Chinese food ( which I Love) Italian
Foods heavy in red OR creamy sauces. Pretty much eliminated red meat too. I eat small meals 2-3 times a day. The enzymes in spicy foods are triggers for me. Sigmoid Volulus diagnosis sounds spot on for me.
Fainted in a restaurant after sailing in the heat and drinking Mrgaritas...landed me in ambulance trip to the Hospital......did cardio work up that was clear. So, no one likes to faint in public or in your own Bathroom,
Pay attention to your diet. Stay hydrated and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. The gas gurgling in the lower left quadrant of my gut tells me I have 30 seconds to find a toilet. Repercussions of ignoring this signal
Will send me to the cool tikes of the bathroom floor.
I am laying in bed now after just going through this nightmare :( it's happened to me quite a few times now. My biggest fear tho is passing out from the pain whilst I'm alone! I am 26
Over the last 6years, I am now 31 I have had a very similar issue.
I always assumed it might be my heart, and only because I get dizzy and it forces me to get low, I literally find myself face down to get some relief, and if I try to get up I feel like fainting.
I sweat, get very dizzy, nauseas and very bad cramps that will 9/10 end without me defecating.
However last night for the first time I did pass stool and then quite a large amount of soft stool. This happened whilst I was face down on the floor, and I couldn't get up!
I will mention that every time this has happened I always feel the need to get low, and I get cramps.
Hi everyone! I'm glad that i'm not alone in this boat, but after reading a few of the comments i am only getting more afraid as it seems like there's no specific name or cause of these kind of incident.

I'm 18 now and have had about 5 of these incidents in the past 2 years. The first time i had it was when i was 17 and it happened in a shopping mall and i was alone. First was the stomach cramps, which i just thought was normal so i went to the toilet. Then came the immense sharp pain at my abdominal area, and then the cold sweat. I was texting my mom at that time because i didn't know what to do. After everything came out, the pain didn't subside and i just sat on the toilet floor and wailed while i spoke to my mom. Miraculously i managed to get up and met my mother who picked me up to bring me to the hospital. Unfortunately the hospital was too crowded and by then the pain has subsided.  The next few times that this happened was when i was with my friends, and it was really not pretty. I'd just sit with my head down while i wait for the pain to subside, either that or i'd just go to the toilet to suffer alone. But however, the worst of which happened during my A levels where after my paper i went home ate my dinner, and then the same pain came -- very suddenly this time. I knew it was going to be bad but oh boy i wasn't prepared for it. Same sequence of which the sharp pain came, and then diarrhoea and cold sweat, but this time a surge from within my stomach came and i vomited all over the floor. And then i pooped the kind of watery poop. I went to the doctor after that, and he was pretty much useless because he said it'd be hard to determine if it was food poisoning or any problem, so i just got the usual anti biotics and pills for cramping. Initially i thought that this happened to me because i am 2 year into my eating disorder recovery so my body may still be weak or not used to food, but i see it's not just me who is experiencing this.

Honestly, up till now, whenever i am out or even at home, i still fear that this would happen again. And it kind of saddens me how nobody can still pin point this occurrences. Though i am glad that i am not alone in this, i'm still really fearful for the next event. if there are any tips on foods i should stay away from or how to handle the situation if it does occur again please do let me know. Thanks!
I agree. This happens to me once every few years. I'm scared I'll be driving or somewhere I can't use the restroom and I have children. Now it's become a feared obsession and it's hard to go to eat dinner without thinking if I'll have my episode. It's scary and Ive gone through lots of testing and nothing.. a whole new level of anxiety though!!

I also had all of the above just yesterday . I have had these episodes in my lifetime about 6 or 7 times now but in the last ten years . It makes you feel so helpless as if I didn't have someone around I'm sure I'd of passed out for sure.
I just made the toilet in time where eventually had terrible dhiohrea.the pains in lower abdomen are awful and of feeling sick too . But the worst feeling of all is the sweating when it's happening  like someone poured a bath full of water over you but cold sweat you
feel faint the only way I can describe it is when you having surgery and getting the injection to knock you out .
I'd love to know the cause but wondered if divaticulosis had anything to do with it .is there anyone out there in the
Medical Feild that knows what this is .

Im 54 yr old female.I've had this happen a handful of times.it usually happens when I take a laxative but has happened without before. It happened this morning. I was on the floor sweating & freezing. It's been over an hour and I can't get warm. I've mentioned this to my gastroenteroligist but she didn't have anything to say.
I'm 35 years old, and experienced my first attack when I was 12 years old.  Doctors have no idea what is wrong so I have stopped listening to them in regards to it.  Some of my siblings experience similar episodes and including father so I am sure there is a genetic component to this problem.  I am very healthy.  I have annual checkups and blood tests.  I exercise and am fit as a fiddle.  I know that I don't suffer from any medical conditions.

I am a pharmacy student, and I recently learned of allergic diarrhea.  What we experience can be triggered by foods that have been exposed to or contain bisulfite.  Your body will try to eliminate everything in your gut in whichever way possible by defection, vomiting, or both.  

The cramping and the pain is extremely painful which leads to anxiety and if you suffer from anxiety, this will exacerbate that problem. The pain leads to extreme physical stress which can trigger vasovagal syncope which I have experienced at least 13 times in my life. Sometimes I grip something really hard, and the pain in my hands will help direct my mind to a focal point and helps keep me from fainting. By keeping your head low will help prevent you from fainting as well.  It helps keep blood flowing to the brain since there is a drop in your blood pressure.  Wrapping your arms around your abdomen will help with the pain as the heat and pressure will help relax your abdominal muscles.  Do all this and allow your body to expel whatever it had a bad reaction to.

The pain will go away once your body has eliminated everything that it needs to.  The sweating and fatigue that follows are our bodies recovering mechanisms. Drink some fluid and sleep it off.  

Don't let this ruin your life.  I do everything I want, and I have a great life.  I deal with this as it comes.  It is traumatic, and it is something that is always on the back of my mind.  It took me years to learn something that made sense to me. I understand that it is an allergic reaction, and there is really nothing wrong with me.  I hope this helps most of you.  Don't let this hinder you from enjoying your life to the fullest.
I get this quite a lot pains in my stomach feel sick and as though I'm gonna faint I sit on the loo with my head down then have diorrehea then comes the sweating hot one minute cold the next I feel like I'm gonna pass out but this eases after I have gone to the toilet the same happens a few times after tho I suffer with anxiety and had just taken one  new tablet and wonder if it was this. I am waiting for an ultra sound to see if I have gall stones or a hernia too x
I have had this on and off since I was around 23 (I'm now 37).  It almost always happens at night while I'm sleeping.  I wake up to feeling "weird"...pain in my stomach and feel like I need to go to the bathroom.  I go to the toilet and sit and wait.  The pain is horrible. I feel like I might vomit.  I begin to get hot and sweaty and feel like I'm going to pass out. Sometimes my legs start to shake like I'm freezing or extremely nervous.  At times, my arms or legs will feel a bit numb or like pins and needles.  During this episode I usually end up belching very loud and forcefully like I have an extreme build-up of gas.  Usually I have constipation that ends with diarrhea.  After I poo I feel better for a bit and then it comes on again. I do not feel better until I have pooed out whatever is causing all of the issue....even then sometimes my body feels tired or my lower back hurts.  I have been told I have IBS....I have noticed a couple of times that this has happened has been after eating a lot of fiber (raisin bran, broccoli, etc).  I cannot drink alcohol or this will usually end up happening.  
Also....during this episode I try to breathe through it so that I (hopefully) don't pass out.  I start breathing in and out slowly and rub my tummy to try to help whatever it is to move.  Hope this helps.  
I have been suffering in silence. Everyone is describing exactly what is happening to me. I actually faint and then the large volume of foul smelling watery large volume stool seems to explode out of me. I had a heart test done and found out that my heart actually stops beating for 30 seconds during these episodes. It started when I was 18 and I am 34 now. I am a mother now so it makes the thought of happening so much scarier now. The only time it stopped happening was when I was pregnant. Post partum 3 months it started again. My son is 3.5yrs now. It happens sometimes weekly. It's terrifying because I either faint or get to the point that I am going to faint. Thank you guys for posting here because I am going to call my GI doctor about what I have read here because it is identical. Hopefully I can have some more tests done. I have done all the elimination diets to try to stop this from happening. It's to a point now that at every BM I feel funny when before it was only with the severe cramping and then the "episode" plays out and it over. I am sitting here with 2 episodes in 12 hours and decided to google.
Relief For Now. Shortly after my episode in May 2016 (refer to my post at that time), I saw a GI doc who prescribed a low dose anti-depressant. The reasoning behind this is to suppress the vegus nerve just enough to prevent the onset of syncope by desensitizing the vegus nerve. I have not had an episode since. I had one occasion when I felt that I would have had an episode but my system was very relaxed and it turned out to be quite mild with no excruciating pain and no syncope. The anti-depressant is such a low dose that I don't feel any effects although it does involve a daily medication. To me, this is a small price to pay for peace of mind. 10mg Nortryptoline.
this used to happen to me, exactly as everyone is describing. after being treated by gastroenterologists for years, i was finally diagnosed with endometriosis. had a laproscopy to remove the endometriosis and now seeing a pelvic pain physio to relax my very tight pelvic floor muscles (from years of spasms). doesnt happen nearly as often and when it does it isnt nearly as bad. some people get relieve during pregnancy from endometriosis so especially those people above, i suggest speaking to a gyno that specialists in endometriosis!
I also suffer from these symptoms, for me it is seeds, coconut, dairy, and gluten....my kids have been the same recently and they have all been diagnosed with Mast Cell Activation Disorder. Their Mast cells are sending out too many indicators to fight off allergens...body is going into anaphylactic shock....blood pressure drops and this can cause the syncope. G.I. Stated that we passed it on to the kids. Certain foods will trigger it if you have allergies....it is like having a bucket and if you are throwing in allergens-histamines, you may not react severely every time, but once the bucket is full then it throws your body off every time, and you are reacting from everything that is spilling off. My kids are currently on Cromolyn, Zyrtec, Zantac, and Singulair daily and it seems to be helping.
Just want to leave this here. Research Mastocytosis, this seems to be the cause of all the symptoms i've seen here.
Post 1/2

GUYS, I MIGHT HAVE AN ANSWER:

Like all of you, this is an issue I've been struggling with for most of my life. I'm a 24 y/o, fit female with GERD, IBS, and Endometriosis. I first started seeing a gastroenterologist when I was 13. I was a serious athlete (competitive swimmer, training 5-6 hours per day, 6 days per week, eating healthy) and yet the reflux was intense. I was started on Prilosec and eventually worked my way up to the highest dosage of Aciphex--a prescription dosage that should've been used for an adult 3-4 times my weight. I am now on Dexilant for reflux. (It should also be noted that age 13 was also when I got my first period.)

At age 15 I started to have my "attacks", though they were not quite as debilitating as they are now. They would happen in the late evening/at night and happen quite suddenly, usually after a large meal. Usually they began with a sudden, extreme bloatedness and intense nausea, followed by a flop sweat and excruciating pain. I'd keel over into the fetal position on the floor and rest my face on the cool tile. After a few bouts of liquid diarrhea, I'd feel completely better. But back then, the diarrhea was pitch black or bloody, so at 15, I got my first colonoscopy. There were signs of upper GI bleeding and scarring, as well as an unidentified, "unremarkable" infection in my esophagus, but nothing diagnostic.

At 18 I got an exploratory laparoscopy. This is when they found the endometriosis, which explained why my period cramps were so debilitating. There were adhesions all over my intestines, which they removed. They also found a lot of ovarian cysts, which were too small to remove. The endo was classified as "mild/moderate" after that. Both the endo and cysts have been relatively well managed with hormonal birth control since then.

Over the years, I've done every test you could ever think of: hitascans with contrast showing my gallbladder functioning at the absolute lowest end of normal (if I was 50 that would be enough to remove it, but since I'm so young, it's not worth it.) Ultrasounds, CT scans, H. Pylori (which was positive and treated for.) I have been tested for Celiac and other food allergies and do not have any, aside from minor lactose intolerance.

College is when my attacks became both more frequent and positively incapacitating. The first attack in college happened during a night class and the pain was so sudden and so severe that my boyfriend took me to the hospital, thinking I had a kidney stone. CT scans showed nothing. My junior year I had one attack that lasted for two weeks in fluctuating waves. At the time, I was convinced I had salmonella poisoning, even though urgent care took cultures and labs and said I was fine.

Now, I'll have these attacks anywhere from once a month to once every 6 months, and they're completely unpredictable. I've kept a food journal and could not link them to ANY common triggers. My recent scopes and tests have found a non-concerning hatiated hernia, sessile polyps, benign tumors, unremarkable scarring--all evidence of years and years of irritation and suffering, but no apparent cause for it.

90-95% of the time now, my attacks will wake me up from my sleep around 1-3 am and begin with a horrible pain deep in my gut. I'll somehow manage to crawl to the bathroom. My brain will be in a fog, as if my body is in so much pain that I don't even have any mental faculties left for conscious thought. I'm confused and can barely comprehend what's going on or remember anything afterwards. I'm also unbelievably weak. I lay on the floor with my face against the cold tile to stay conscious. I'll be utterly drenched in sweat and shivering like crazy. I've broken bones, had oral infections, had wrist surgery, and an embedded IUD, and NOTHING compares to this pain!! When the diarrhea strikes, usually I'll need my boyfriend to literally LIFT ME ONTO THE TOILET because I cannot lift myself--talk about embarrassing! I'll signal to him that I need his help by gently scraping my fingertips on the bathroom door because I am too weak to knock and too nauseous to open my mouth (he always waits outside the door.) After the diarrhea, the pain subsides to a more tolerable level, but does not dissipate completely. This cycle repeats through several bouts of diarrhea--usually 6-12--until I feel almost completely better, just absolutely EXHAUSTED. Then for the next several days, I will feel completely worn, a little crampy, and constipated.
Post 2/2

TLDR: SKIP TO HERE: ---->

In the past, after all of my tests have come back negative, my gastros have been quick to write this off as "severe IBS" or just food poisoning. Which is so dismissive that it's not even funny. That is why I am so grateful to have finally moved to a new state and found a doctor who actually LISTENED to me. Right away, during my first appointment with this new gastro, I explained my symptoms and he said, "this is absolutely not IBS, and any doctors who said that obviously were just frustrated that they couldn't diagnose it, and/or didn't want to really listen." He told me that it didn't even sound gastroenterological in nature, and that it sounded more related to blood pressure, like something endocrinological, neurological, or vascular with GI symptoms. He straight up said ***IBS SHOULD NOT CAUSE CONSISTENT ATTACKS OF THIS SEVERITY.***

PORPHYRIA?

I have read almost all 900+ entries on this forum and noticed a few people mentioned porphyria. It's interesting, because my doctor actually suggested this and happens to be know one of the only select few physicians in the entire country who specializes in it. Interestingly enough, he took a random blood and urine sample when I was NOT SYMPTOMATIC and found that my urine corpro porphyrins were elevated, as is common with people with AIP. Two weeks later, I had an attack. Out of curiosity, I collected some of my urine in a jar at home immediately after this attack and noticed it was dark orange/bright red, as is tell-tale with AIP. So I left it in the sunlight for 48 hours and checked again, and the color had darkened to a deep, dark red, just like urine should with AIP. So my doctor ordered some more urine sample tests to be carried out during my next attack, which conveniently enough, happened about 3 weeks later. However, the test was inconclusive. My ALA was elevated, but none of my porphyrins were high enough to diagnose AIP. He wants to repeat the test again during future attacks, but expects them to yield similar results--especially because AIP doesn't usually cause such short episodes of debilitating pain and diarrhea, but rather prolonged episodes of incessant cramping and nauseating pain.

******ANSWER: ABDOMINAL MIGRAINE******

So my gastro referred me to one of the leading Internal Medicine specialists in the entire state. I just met with the guy last Friday. Before I could even finish describing my attacks, he cut me off and said, "I think I know exactly what this is. My sister actually has the exact same thing. It's called ABDOMINAL MIGRAINE." This is a vascular/neurological disorder that is not uncommon in children and is often grown out of. However, it is quite rare (but much more common in women), much more severe, and much more likely to be chronic/ongoing in adults. He did also say that it will likely go away with menopause. And the biggest thing? Abdominal migraines almost always strike in the middle of the night!

So basically, you have neurons (i.e. brain cells) in your gut, and if you have abdominal migraines, you are literally getting severe migraine headaches in your bowels. The treatment is taking a migraine medication during the onset of symptoms, and that should completely stop the attack (he gave me a special kind of inhaler thing.) This explains why some people in this forum have found relief during their attacks by using an epi-pen; both migraine medications and epi-pens are vasoconstrictors, so they essentially accomplish the exact same thing.

He did say that if this migraine medication doesn't work, then it is time to look into other, endocrinological causes, such as hormone-producing tumors and such. But he seemed extremely confident that this was the answer. Unfortunately, it's not something you can test for; it's more of a diagnosis of exclusion and experimentation (by trying the medication during an attack), so be sure to bring it up with your doctors. And good luck everyone!

-----------------------------------------------------

NOTE ON FOOD POISONING AND VASOVAGAL SYNCOPE:

PS: To everyone who is saying that it is just food poisoning--no. If this is happening more than 2 or 3 times throughout your life, that's NOT normal and NOT coincidence. That's a condition. There are types of epilepsy and seizure conditions where you'll only have one seizure every 15 years--types of heart conditions where you'll only have a single heart attack. So why should this be any different? Don't disregard your suffering.

And to those who are saying it's just vasovagal syncope: well, yes and no. Vasovagal syncope describes a symptom, NOT a cause. That's like if you were allergic to cats and got hives when you pet them and then someone tried to diagnose you with hives instead of a cat allergy; it does nothing to describe WHY it is happening. Yes, vasovagal syncope describes when you are fainting or almost fainting during defecation, but that doesn't explain why you were struck with the severe pain and need to defecate in the first place. (At least in the context of our attacks, it doesn't.)
Hi, I'm male, 47 years old, reasonably good shape. I've had this for several years. First episode was in 2010 while living in China (I was with a colleague in a restaurant, felt some nausea immediately after starting dinner, started going back to the hotel and blacked out on the sidewalk. I woke up with my colleague doing cardiac arrest massage and saying my heart had stopped beating for half a minute). Had dozens of episodes in the following years. Did a bunch of tests and nothing came out . A doctor in Hong Kong said many foreigners have this in China, and it's usually caused by an allergic reaction to MSG (monosodium glutamate). I didn't test for MSG allergy yet. In general it only happens after I eat out. After a few years without any episode, I started getting this again some weeks ago (living in Germany now). Will try to get tested for allergy to MSG. IMPORTANT TIP: While I was in China, I found out there is a well known Japanese medicine called SEIROGAN. It has many generic clones with other brand names, made in Hong Kong and China. This was the only thing that made the horrible symptoms stop. Whenever I started feeling that this was coming, I took 3 pills and it usually stopped in 10-15 minutes. (This is not advertising, I have nothing to do with any of the companies that produce this). It really works and apparently it has been used in Asia for many decades. When I left China I took dozens of packages with me, and now I'll try to find it in Germany, or order it online. Good luck to everyone.
Does this only happen at night for everyone? Cause thats the only time it happens to me. But it does seem to build up through the day and hits me all at once. Either Im still awake or it will violently wake me up and then I rush to the bathroom and end up passing out. But when I come to I feel like am renewed.
No this happened to me just yesterday while I was at a movie theatre at 10:00AM!  My stomach began to tighten as if I had to poop badly!  I made my way to the restroom somewhat hunched over due to the pain in my lower abdomen, as I sat on the toilet I had very loose stool but not completely watery.  My stomach would tighten in nearly unbearable excruciating pain and I broke out in a massive sweat all the while feeling extremely faint and nauseas. I must say this is the worst feeling ever as there seems to be nothing to do but go through it.
I just want to say that I experience this also. Twice so far this year. Don't know what to do, but glad/sad I'm not alone.
This just happened to me last night again it only seems to happen once or twice every 6-8 months and I have no clue what this is I just always have to have my husband be near because I always feel like I'm going to pass out and fall off the toilet my husband has to fan me because I'm always drenched in sweet and always to weak to even move it's been happening to me since I was 24 and I'm 30 now and I don't know what to do about it
You’re not alone! This is a very frightening experience this happened to me just yesterday and I am still recuperating
I have had 7 episodes in the past 14 months. Waking up, pain in the stomach, feeling like I need the loo, suddenly getting very hot and dizzy, I would lie down and vomit wherever I lied, I couldn't move for almost 20 minutes, feeling really spaced out as though I was dying, afterwards I would feel exhausted and spend the next day in bed. I was told it was the vascular nerve and sent for thorough testing by a cardiologist, everything came back fine and I was told to stay hydrated and lower my stress levels.  After the 5th episode, I had an endoscopy & colonoscopy with everything coming back fine.  After the heart & stomach drs gave me the all clear, I was referred to a neurologist.  I had an EEG today and he has diagnosed me with abdominal epilepsy.  Please Google it, it has taken me over a year to get to this point and I hope this post helps for other diagnosis.
Wow thank you so much. This has happened to me only twice in the last few years thanks be to God. Yesterday was the most recent and like yourself I am still in bed recuperating. May God bless you my friend.
Ok I solved the issue, at least with me and some other people on here. First person I noticed with this theory was lalala1010 on page 90.

So I so started having similar issues as 95% of you about 8 years ago and it lasted for 4-5 years, had them about 6-7 times, usually after I ordered food(like some people indicated).

I woke up this morning with same symptoms, have not had them in 3-4 years. I thought I was about to die, plus I was alone this time.
I found this thread and started reading. After one episode, I know it was food related since I ate more than normal yesterday afternoon. But thought it was a spice, or maybe ice cream I had.
Then I remembered that I started taking brain supplements 10 days that had Ginko Biloba , and my girl friend told me her friend told her that they work but caused constipation. I did notice some constipation last week but wasn't anything serious. Then I remembered 8 years ago I got prescribed oxycodone 30mg and that cause constipation (opiate constipation), and once in a while I took stool softeners, but only a few times, and yes it helped. Now I think back and every time during the time I was on pain killers and ate alot, usually when ordered out I would get these painful episodes.
3 hours ago I had 1 episode, which was bad, but I couldn't go(no BM), even though I needed to. After reading lalala1010 post I decided to walk(while I can) and get laxatives from corner Walgreens that's open 24 hours(TG). Returned,Put one in, 15 min later had alot of BM and I felt great.

My theory is, people that get constipated regularly , check your meds and supplements. Eat lots of fiber, fish oil and other things that work against constipation.
If you get constipation once in a while have a laxative available, plus if you eat alot and hadn't had any BM in 24 hours or longer I would take stool softener after your meal.
I'm not a Dr, but I think what happens is when we don't have any BM in a while then eat usually more than normal (like I did yesterday), your processed food gets stuck in your intestines, then after hours , usually during the night your digestive system goes into some panic mode. That's why you feel nasua, and other symptoms, then your intestines starts to break down this hard stool and you get cramps, it will keep doing this until your stool is very soft, and even water like (diarrhea) . Notice alot if people said a hard stool will followed by diarrhea (like mine in the past).
Now if I didn't put that laxative in, I would be in that bathroom for 3-5 hours. I basically helped to unclog what was stuck, and I eliminated hours of pain.

Don't get me wrong, alot of times you will get food poisoning or food allergy and have similar symptoms, except usually you would get diarrhea right away.

I hope this helped. I'm very relieved I was able to find a cure for myself. I thought I was allergic to Tyme spice.