Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 801-874 comments:
I agree with all that you have said!  When I was diagnosed with Vasol Vagal episodes I refused to stop there.  I have learned that my episodes are a result of Gastroparesis which is the action of  "the muscles in the wall of your stomach working poorly or not at all. This prevents your stomach from emptying properly" which is fairly simple to determine by a gastro emptying test.  For me it is from being a diabetic for over twenty years, however there can be many causes of Gastroparesis.

I agree that hydration is the key and of course knowing your trigger foods, such as alcohol, high fructose corn syrup, dairy, etc.  For me, my episodes tend to occur during PMS when my hormones are off balance and causes my GP to get worse.  

I have been tested for everything and tried many treatments.  What seems to work for me are a combination of three drugs that I take at the onset of my symptoms which are, anti-imflamatory (Naproxen), anti-spasm, and Zofran for the nausea.  This helps to prevent a full blown episode, however once it starts I can still feel bad until my stomach fully empties but no passing out or violent episodes.  

I know we all are different but it helps to discuss it with people who understand.
I recently saw my GYN, I am 45 year old female with Gastroparesis, GERD, and Diabetes. She explained to me that my GP can get worse usually a week before my period starts due to the increase of the hormone Progesterone. Which basically means that my stomach pretty much stops working during this time.  I have noticed that this is when my episodes tend to occur.  Usually after eating or drinking a trigger food or a large meal my stomach will began to spasm or feel like contractions in the center of my stomach.  My heart will race, I will feel extremely hot, the color will leave my face and I know I'm about to pass out.  I lay on the bathroom floor so not to fall.  I'm usually out for about a minute or two then I wake up to severe vomiting and diarrhea.

So ladies, if you notice that your episodes are happening just before your periods, it may be a result of Gastroparesis.  I also notice that my stomach will bloat and cause me to feel really full.  The hormonal process will cause dehydration and a lack of electrolytes (sometimes I will feel tingling in my hands).
I suffered the same symptoms and talked to a nurse that suggested it was a severe case of being lactose intolerant. I stopped consuming dairy and it did help. changed my diet and ate properly. I used to eat 1 meal a day but a big meal.. As much stomach shrunk it wasn t able to digest all the food so that effected my stomach.

I would drink lots of water when I get the pain to stay hydrated and breathe in and out. If I felt I was going to faint I woould lay on the cold tiles of my bathroom to help my body cool down. and it helps. You should not walk when you feel dizzy. I did that before and busted my head on the bathroom counter woke up seizing and blood splattered. Its been  2 years I think since it last happened. It started when I was in highschool around 14 til I was in  my late 20's. I cut back on the dairy for sure and have not experienced it yet.
Any news CMSP? Would love to hear what they had to say at the Mayo Clinic. Best place to be for gastrointestinal disorder. Lucky. Hope you have a diagnosis and doing well.
It's really comforting to find this forum, I don't feel alone with it any more.

33 y/o male, had it last night, cramps increase in intensity until it's very painful, sweats, pins & needles in hands, slightly faint (though I checked my heart rate and was normal at 70), soles of feet feel weird, then diarrhea which usually relieves a lot of the pain. feel like I'm gonna be sick but never do. If it's bad I collapse on to the cold tiles!!! Within an hour I can usually go to sleep.

Some patterns I've noticed, it often happens after eating out, the combination of over eating (or eating a lot of fat or meat) followed by alcohol. I think the fizzy aspect of beer makes it worse. I usually feel floated like food isn't digesting an hour or two before it happens.

I get it about 5 times a year, always in the evening/night, have done since I was 15 or so. The weird thing I've noticed recently is that I get home, I'm feeling full, I've had alcohol so before bed I think I should probably drink some water, I drink half a glass or so and within 10 minutes it's started, it's like the water triggers it?

For me I definitely think it's related to overloading the stomach/gut, I often have mild diarrhea if I don't let my food go down properly before being physically active (esp in the evening).

Thanks for the update! I am still taking Stelara for my psoriasis and I did have  a slight episode about 5 days ago.  Nothing compared to what I usually go through. Just had a little cramping and then a little diarrhea. I would say that this is about 1/10th of what usually happens to me.  No over heating and no faint feelings. I still don't know if it's the Stelara , but I really kind of think it is!
I do like knowing that there is a name for it, but it would be nice to have a cure!
I always take fiber tablets and I am afraid not to! Good advice!
I have had this happen maybe half a dozen times over the past 10 years but last night was horrific! I ran to the bathroom with the worst cramps of my life (childbirth wasn't as painful!) and an overwhelming urge to throw up.  I sat down with the garbage can in front of me because I had no idea which way it was going to go. I could feel pressure to have a bowel movement but couldn't even help it along because I was doubled over.  I tried to throw up a few times but never did.  I did go to the bathroom a little and it was runny. Then I became incredibly light headed, hot, clammy, sweaty.  I was within a second of passing out and gasping for breath (possibly just because of the pain.)  When this happened a second time in a matter of minutes I I had my husband call 911 and by the time they arrived I was able to go a little bit more and make it over to the couch. I felt weak but better.  Yes, I felt pretty damn stupid especially when the EMT talked about how they see this with geriatric patients from straining.  (I'm 45!  And like I said, I don't even think I strained much because the pain was so intense.)  I don't think she meant it to insulting but really? Blood pressure was fine, maybe slightly elevated. Afterwards I felt cold and weak. Today, I'm just tired and still a little bit crampy but haven't gone to the bathroom again.  

I really panicked because I've not been feeling well the past few days. Nausea and occasional lightheadedness that started to get progressively worse. (But it didn't feel like a stomach virus at all.) Had very frequent urination at night and I had a substantial bowel movement Wednesday night I think.  Also got very little sleep at all for probably 3 nights. The first night I think it was stress but after that I just literally wasn't tired.

Went to a Dr. on Thursday who chalked it up to stress (which has been out of hand for quite some time but why this all of a sudden?) and a possible UTI. They sent for a culture and yesterday I had some more classic UTI symptoms of itching and burning and he called an antibiotic.  I took that last night and feel better in that regard. He also said I was dehydrated. Never even considered GI issues. I was scared because I have been on HBP medication for a little over a year and fearful of a heart issue. He didn't think it was that. Was kind of frustrated with this Dr. and called on Friday to move up a regularly scheduled follow up appointment to this coming week with my usual Dr. I'm hoping she can offer some insight.  It's possible I had several things happening at once.

I have never gone to the bathroom regularly but have never really brought it up to a Dr. except in passing.  It's not constipation per se but just no urge to go at all for several days at at time (I do think this is exacerbated during certain times of my cycle). This does eventually lead to some bloating and discomfort. At times, I'll then just go normally and other times I feel like I'm passing something the length of my intestine!  I don't often have dry stools but will sometimes pass just a little at a time over a period of days. Sometimes I have to strain to to go and as I think about it that might be happening a bit more in the last few months. Usually, I suddenly get an overwhelming urge and I'm done it's over in a few minutes. I know I don't drink nearly drink enough water or fiber or exercise but I will also have instances where I will really try to load up on fiber and water to make things move and...nothing. Of course, if I was more consistent with all three....

When this episode has happened before (often at night but at least two daytime instances that I can recall) I've had severe pain and will alternate between the toilet and curled up on the bed until I'm able to go.  Like others have said it will feel like a nearly normal stool, wait a little with more awful pain, then diarrhea. Pain starts to subside and then I end up passing what seems like a gallon of water.  I do notice some mucous sometimes too either then or a little later and I don't always feel completely "emptied."

With all that though I have never had an experience where I was feeling poorly a few days ahead of time and never felt like vomiting, especially such a strong urge.  And I have NEVER almost passed out. Never even felt lightheaded.  Never had the feeling I couldn't get my breath. That terrified me!  (Now the EMT copay terrifies me as I've never had to do that before!)

Am glad that I finally googled this though because I was feeling like I was going crazy!  Although I am a little scared that this will now be the way these episodes will occur in the future.
Symptoms sound similar to those seen in Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  Hard to diagnose. Testing has to be done during an attack.  Curious to hear if anyone has considered this.  
I had an episode last night and found my self lying on my bedroom floor. The explosive bowel movements are horrible. I have never passed out before and it was pretty scary as I now have A bumpon my forehead above my left eye and a cut on the bridge of my nose. I am not sure if it was something I ate but I was sound asleep and the pains in my stomach were herific. Glad i found this post as it has lessened the fear. My heart goes out to all who are suffering.. It is a horrible feeling
Do you mind if I asked what you ate beforehand?
Hi everyone,
Since it seems we've determined that good intestinal health is crucial to keeping these episodes from occurring, I wanted to share with you something I've been doing that really seems to help. I've started drinking a little bit of diluted apple cider vinegar every day (I use the Bragg brand). So if you're like me and want to avoid daily medication for something that happens pretty infrequently, this seems to be a good solution. Do some research... if you need to improve your gut health and keep things moving, this definitely seems to help. I haven't had another episode since I started doing this. Would be interested to see if this works for anyone else!
Hi!  While at Mayo, I enquired about Mast Cell Activation.  Symptoms definitely are similar.  However, for me it was ruled out.  There are definitve tests that can determine it, but based on the description of my episodes, they did not feel that MCA was suspect.  It has been 4 months for me (last one - actually 2 in one night) was Aug. 15th.  Really staying hydrated and not filling up at night and watching my intake of dairy, sugar, high-fructose corn syrup and taking a daily stool softener (Dr. said it's perfectly safe to do so).  I had a hysterectomy a number of years ago, so I am unable to gage if it's hormone related. I do still have my ovaries and feel my body sometimes ovulate.  But don't know if there's a correlation for me.  Seems to make sense though.  I do believe two of th main risk factors are: eating a large meal at night and being even slightly constipated.  I'm going to try the diluted apple cider vinegar as well.  I never want to have another episode as long as I live.  
Hello Everybody,

I am so glad I found this board. I thought I was the only one who experienced this problem. I am a 23 years old and I've experienced this problem 7 times in the last 7 years. The first time it happened, was completely embarrassing. I was out shopping when all of a sudden I had the most PAINFUL stomach cramps and felt like I was going to faint. Next thing I know, I'm lying on a bench with security by me with a chocolate bar, haha.

My recent episode was last night! I've had enough of this :( Every time it happens, I feel like I'm dying! The worst thing about it was that I was all alone...It happened around 3 am and I got up and rushed to the bathroom. I spent most of my time just lying on the bathroom floor and trying to remain conscious.

Again, I'm so glad I found a board that has this exact, same experience. I feel like my family and my boyfriend don't see how severe it is. I honestly don't know what to do.  
i have had this problem for as long as i can remember.....im now 38 but have suffered with this since i was a teenager
i have never actually fainted which is a good thing i think laying on my bathroom floor normally allows me to stay conscious
i always get it first thing in the morning and it normally lasts about 45 minutes heres the strange thing though i get it EVERY christmas normally boxing day or the day after so i assume its something to do with overeating and i get it maybe 6 times throughout the year
i have googled it before and found out it was defecation syncope but have never seen a doctor about it........what worries me is the websites i found were saying that people normally die within years of their underlying illnesses? i know some people on here have been diagnosed but has anybody been told whether this is really life threatening?
It never occurred to me to actually google this before but some of you describe my EXACT symptoms. I'm not going to lie, knowing that you have all suffered as well makes me feel better too, lol.

First time this happened to me I was 16 (I am 40 now), a competitive swimmer, walking in the mall and apparently walked into a column and fell over. I thought someone sucker punched me or something. Stomach pain, cold sweat, had to hit the bathroom...recovered, better. Never had a second thought about it. Second time I was 32, working (abroad) from a hotel and woke up in the middle of the night with a stomach cramp, went to the bathroom, was walking to my bed after exiting said bathroom and fell over...thought I was dying somehow, ears ringing, sight leaving...it's terrible. Has happened a lot more in recent years and I've become somewhat of a pro at dealing with it, though that's not something I view as a good thing. I'm fairly certain it's food triggered. I'm still in good shape, yeah I've seen a doctor too thinking I had a bad heart or something and they said I'm good there (bp, levels, etc). The worse episode I was driving on the highway after stopping at an eclectic eatery (if you will) where I had a "fresh" salad entree of some sort and a "craft" beer. I felt it coming on while I was in the speed lane and I was blacked by the time I reached the shoulder and no longer had enough strength to keep the break down. My gf grabbed the wheel and threw my truck in park. I would have lived had she not been there but my truck would have kept rolling along into a ditch and probably would have been damaged nicely. Anyway, beer and semi-exotic foods, particularly things like calamari, "organic" vegetables, and...sometimes pizza...seem to be the common denominators. I think it's a combination of a weak/sensitive gastrointestinal situation and a less than uncommon bacteria possibly?.. that maybe triggers it. For example, the Pizza has always been delivery. The foods of a potentially questionable handling and/or origin. Also, I won't drink draft beer anymore because the taps are always suspect. I saw someone else mention this, but if I prepare my own food this does not happen. There is one other thing that is a trigger, but it's not legal in every state...so we won't talk about that.

Things that help: an awesome gf who has been through my pathetic episodes now 3 times, and though it scares her and she thinks I'm not doing enough to solve it (what am I to do when the doctors don't seem to find anything?), she knows exactly what to do. She gets me safe, cool (during cold sweat), and at least tries to keep me with her. Also, air/oxygen...whatever the reason my bp falls off, the oxygen not getting where it's supposed to go is why you go dim, have ringing/lose hearing, and pass out. Saturating your red blood cells with oxygen not only helps recovery, but can actually prevent you from passing out entirely.

Now, partly because my experience with it, and partly because I feel like I've had an awesome life, it doesn't scare me so much and I've payed more attention to interesting/funny details. Last time, I was at a Halloween event, and I felt it coming on. I got up and told my gf I was going to sit in the car and bolted out...On my way out, I couldn't get the door to the venue open, like I couldn't figure out the handle. Then, I have to go down some steps and I'm thinking, "please don't fall out now..." It was cold out, and I wanted to get into my vehicle and turn on the heat in case I passed out. About halfway across the parking lot I plowed into the pavement but my adrenaline immediately bounced me back up (thank goodness) and I got in/started/turned on heat. Then I started to fall out and a few minutes later my girlfriend arrived because she suspected this might be happening. When you start to fade you lose senses, like touch, hearing, etc. but it's not horrible if you look at it in a non-partisan way (or third person). Like listening to a fan...time stretches...so the fan goes from a quick wooshing sound to a slower sound, like you can hear each pass of the blades. One time, I laid my face by a floor vent and the air hitting me sped my recovery and I remember the sound and light going from dull and rushing over me like a wave or crescendo of sense building back to normal as I recovered all of a sudden. It was really cool. Don't get me wrong, the stomach cramp part just *****, lol. I believe in a natural balance though. It seems to me, where you find bad, somewhere nearby must be an equal amount of good. It's just a matter of perspective, really.
CMSP - your symptoms are strikingly similar to those my wife has been experiencing over the last 3.5 years.  Can you tell us who you saw at the Mayo or how you went about getting an appointment with the right doctors there? My wife has also been to numerous doctors and had full cardiac, endocrine, mast cell workups (including a bone marrow biopsy) that were negative.  During the last episode, I think we ruled out a mast cell activation disorder.  We are at the point of being unsure what to do next.
Oh my!  So, this is a real thing (even if the "professionals" cant name it) and it's not just me!!  :-D  I'm 39, female and this has happened to me maybe 15-20  times in the past 12 years.  Sometimes I'll go more than a year without an episode.  Other times, 2-3 in the same month. Not related to heavy meals, overeating/drinking or dairy, that I can tell and I have paid attention to all of these things, looking for a common trigger.  
I've never passed out from it but, I do get the cold sweats and nausea (without vomiting). For me, these awful attacks come on very suddenly, almost always when I'm asleep (I've had 1 or 2 episodes during waking hours, but never with the same intensity) and the abdominal cramps/pain come in waves, about 2 minutes apart and last anywhere from 20 sec. to 1 min.
Sometimes, as the wave passes, I get a sensation like gas bubbles (or something?) passing along the left side of my abdomen, as if something is shifting within my intestines and as it does, the pain decreases briefly, until the next wave hits.  
These cramps/pains/attacks feel like being in active labor.  
YES - IT HURTS THAT MUCH!  
And I have a very high tolerance for pain.
Then, anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours later, I'm finally able to evacuate my bowels (this can be anything from normal stool to explosive diarrhea) and it's over, as quickly as it began.  sometimes one movement will end it, other times, it takes a few poops over the course of 10 or so minutes before it stops.
I suspect that the cold sweats and nausea (and the fainting/vomiting others have reported) may simply be due to the sheer intensity of the pain.

I told my doctor about it, several times, and he said it would be too difficult to diagnose unless I was mid-attack. I didn't believe him, so sought a second opinion and after multiple tests, I had that doc baffled as well.

Here's something interesting - this used to happen to my mother, too, occasionally.  But for her it just stopped occurring and has not come back, for many years now.  I can remember being a kid, and waking in the night to her cries of pain, while she was laying on the bathroom floor...

I just had an episode like this today. I was in a meeting when I felt a cramp on the left side of my abdomen. It hurt so bad that I doubled over (I was sitting at the time). I then felt intensely hot/cold and clammy and slight dizzy. I felt pins and needles in my arms. It suddenly subsided and returned a few minutes later. I got up thinking I just needed to stretch out my abdomen and nearly fainted. I went to the bathroom right after and felt better but still weak and the pins and needles in my arms lingered. I also developed a horrible headache. I saw my doctor and she diagnosed me with gerd and started me on medication and stool softeners. The thing is im not usually constipated but I have been the past few days. Im happy I found this forum. I wasnt satisfied with the doctors prognosis because I dont have heart burn or reflux. Thanks to all of you fir sharing!
Yes, I felt the same gas bubble thing travelling and the nausea. Its so scary. One of my cowirkers actually said that she felt the "heat" radiating off me when the 2nd wave came on...
so glad I found this. just started getting the severe stomach ache, cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea, since Sept 2014. had episode every month, except Dec. The one Jan. 9th was worst ever. lasted 9am-730pm, painful but tolerable. from 4-730 totally unbearable. but distrust doctors to ever want to call 911. bed-ridden the next day. still felt the tenderness inside until Mon. just on a bland diet for now, but plan to seriouly give up dairy, sugar, grains, fats, alcohol, spicy foods. not much left but rather figure this out through diet than doctors and drugs and surgery.
so glad I found this forum. just started getting the severe stomach ache, cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea, since Sept 2014. had episode every month, except Dec. The one Jan. 9th was worst ever. lasted 9am-730pm, painful but tolerable. from 4-730 totally unbearable. but distrust doctors to ever want to call 911. bed-ridden the next day. still felt the tenderness inside until Mon. just on a bland diet for now, but plan to seriouly give up dairy, sugar, grains, fats, alcohol, spicy foods. not much left but rather figure this out through diet than doctors and drugs and surgery.  Our food supply is tainted and definitely affecting us!
forgot to mention, felt like organs wanted to burst out of my rib cage. strip all clothes and jewelry off (felt bound), lie on floor or bed and rub stomach until pain goes away. fingers and parts of my legs went numb. worst ever...
I like many of you ... have had IBS but with mostly constipation and horrendous gas my entire life.  Here recently I am having episodes of waking up in the middle of the night with full body sweats and my heart ready to explode its beating so fast.  I feel neausious so I head to the bathroom I contemplate calling 911 but I feel like if I move I will pass out and then just as if I had food poisoning I explode from both ends and the episode is over once it is out of me.  I have only had this happen this severly 3 times in the past 6 months.  But now instead of being constipated I have diarrhea more frequently.  
Over the past 15 years I have for the most part cut out gluten, dairy, onions, msg, soy, ...live on vegan protein shakes, rice pasta, veggies, hummus that sort of stuff. With the occasional cheat that I always pay for.
Did see a GI Dr. and had a colonoscopy on my 23rd birthday and when the Dr found nothing he asked me if I really had these symptoms...I guess he thought maybe I was just bored and wanted to spend a rediculous amount of money to have somebody stick a....well anyway he sent me on my way with the suggestion of Milk of Magnesia daily and eat more salads..."Thanks Guy!"  
15 years later and now I have to go back to the doctors because I am really scared.  My GI specialist now wants to send me to get a colon-rectal monomotry done...Anybody heard of this or have any ideas of what in my body is failing me?  Could it be Gall bladder related?  The vasol vagal episodes seem like a possibility...but any treatment other than not eating anything good? lol...  
Have you found anything yet?
At least I am not the only one??? I am a 29 y/o female and like most of you, I have had this horrible episodes since I was in high school, but they are very infrequent. I know that I am a bit of a "worrier", I over analyze everything (and I chose a profession in analytics). I am trying to get better, not stressing over those things that are out of my control. However, when a lot of work and personal stress piles up, I know it can make me emotional and exhausted.

After reading all of these comments, glancing through all the others that share the same debilitating symptoms, I feel slightly relieved that it isn't a myth (or my own brain playing tricks on me). I also feel worried that they may never find an answer or something to resolve these horrendous episodes.

When I feel this pain in my stomach and the flushing starts, I will grab any and all things cold to prevent the passing out (there are lots of ice packs and ice cubes involved, and often a freezing cold shower).

While I was pregnant I had them much more frequently. In fact, I would sit on the tile floor with little clothing on to prevent from getting "over-heated" as my husband and I call it. During that period my stomach was in constant knots and I had to put this medicine under my tongue to reduce the pain.

I have only passed out once, almost immediately after having my daughter. I knew it was coming on and told the very tiny nurse (I had to be double her size post-birth) that she "better get someone to help, I was going down". The last thing I remember was grabbing her side and down I went. When I woke up I was very disoriented, but thankful that I was already at the hospital. That was almost 4 years ago.

I suppose after having my daughter a year went by and I had another late-night event. The following morning I went to the doctor. In which, they cited my vagus/vagal nerve as well, but told me that when I have these feelings to lay down in case I pass out (duh!). The one after that was about at a year ago, but I had a severe stomach bug that resulted in two full days on the bathroom floor, so it could just be the bug that got me that time. Just when I thought these things might be over for good, I had another episode last night.

After reading these comments and suggestions, it looks like I can start with making some real changes to my diet. I am a heavy dairy eater and know I don't have a great diet (in fact, I would eat dessert before I would eat anything dinner sometimes).

I am wondering if tomato-based meals are the root to my evil. I ate pizza last night (cheese and tomato), and it hit me about 1:15am. I also am guilty of a small bowl of ice cream or a glass of milk before bed at times. I am going to cut out some things, reduce others and see if this will help. It would be great if someone could find a cure or provide something that would provide immediate relief during one of these episodes. I will keep on a look out to see if someone has any answers or additional suggestions.
Hello to all !!!

I am so glad I found this board. I thought I was the only one who experienced this problem. I am a 47 years old women and I've experienced this problem for the last 8 years, but I have had 6 spells in the last 3 months and 2 of them just 2 days apart.  I have gone to the ER with 2 of the spells since one happened in a public place and the otherone since when I passed out I hit my head.

For all the spells but 2 has happen when am sleeping. I awake with stomach pain /with the last 2 the pain was so bad I had to do labor breathing to get though the pain level.

I go to use the restroom since I feel sick and I go to restroom and while I using the restroom with diarrhea, I pass out. know  when am going to pass out, so I lay of the bathroom and once I come back around I have to use the restroom again, and yes I pass out again. With each spell I past out for a total of at least 4 times. Only 2 spell have been witness. Since am single I don't know what happens with I pass out. I know that after each spell, my body is very cold and some times my speech is messed up and for the rest of the day am wiped out,I feel like I have been ran over by a truck

So after my last hospitalization and many test and blood test ran,  I  found out I have Myasthenia Gravis. Which is an auto immune, with no cure. So my whole world has charges since March 2014. Since the spell I had in March something happened and everything charged, the medical field can't explain this, just that I have MG.

All of this has made me feel like a medical freak, the doctors don't know what to say or what it is, yesterday was told that I need to go back to the heart doctor and with everything health wise that is going on with me that with every spell I need to go to the ER.

The spell are happening more now since March and a lot in the last 3 months. I feel like one time I will not wake up, they are starting to scare me even more now since they are happening more.

I don't understand why the medical field doesn't know what this is, and how do the figure it out when you never know when a spell is going to happen, it just makes me feel like a freak.

What test did anyone have done to figure this out?? I just want to know what am dealing with so I know what I need to do to help with the spells.

So I can live my life  :-)
Good blessed to all .

If you go back in the posts someone nailed it.
When you get fainting symptoms from  things like pain (of any kind),sight of blood, shocking news, etc., it is called  vaso vagal syncope(VVS) a neurocardiac response. See MAYO CLINIC website for more info on this) In my case the only trigger is episodes of IBS with severe cramping and bm's) and about half the time it is accompanied by the  VV response (for me, fainting, nausea,cold sweats, hypersalivating) I usually end up lying on the floor with barely enough strenghth to get back to the toilet. I am not sure which is worse, the cramps or the VVS. I am 49 and have had this for about 20 years of my life, about once or twice a month , since I was about 18. I can't even begin to tell you the fear and anxiety and other problems it had caused in my life. Two of my migraine meds are also treatments for VVS - atenolol(beta blocker) and an SSRI but they do not work for  the VVS.
What did work for me I came upon by accident. I had always known the most powerful yet uncontrollable trigger for my IBS was hormonal fluctuations(midcycle or premenstrual) which is common for women with IBS. After being diagnosed with endometriosis in 2005, I was put on a daily low dose of lupron which lowers the ovaries hormones and keeps them at a more steady level. After 6 mos some add back estrogen has to be taken. Miraculously!!! after only about 2 weeks, pretty much all my episodes of IBS stopped and the ones I had were much milder. Only recently I had two bad episodes of IBS/VVS along with reappearing symptoms of Endo so my        Dr. scaled back my estrogen dose and I hope this works. Anyway my message is whatever your trigger for VVS and it seems like gut pain is a biggee,  try to get that resolved since it doesn't seem like there is that much help in curing the vasovagal part. It would help me if I could fit a couch in my bathroom. For you women with cycle related severe IBS symptoms I hope Lupron or a similar medication becomes accepted treatment for IBS. You would probably be hard pressed to get a  Dr. to prescribe it for this problem. MIne is through a reproductive endocrinologist.
But hey,  20 years ago I was telling Dr.'s my IBS was linked to my cycle and they just brushed it off. Now this is accepted medical knowledge. Sometimes we women have to do summersaults to be taken seriously!
I hope this helps anyone and if anyone has had luck with any other VVS treatments please post.

28yo male here. I also have this. Severe cramping and diarrhea followed by sudden onset of cold sweating and feeling like i'm going to pass out.  I usually lay on the bathroom floor for half an hour until I have the strength to get up and have a bowel movement.  

After seeing a few specialists, I ended up getting an IgG food allergy test done and the results indicated that I have a number of food sensitivities. Be warned that there is some debate between doctors over whether or not these tests accurately diagnose food allergies.  Either way, I found that by actively avoiding certain foods that I tested positive for, the cramping episodes almost completely went away.  The only times I seem to experience these symptoms is if I cheat and eat something that I shouldn't have eaten.
Well ladies, Im joining you in this episode mystery as I too have the exact same symptoms.  I am 52 years old.  Mine started in 2005.  10 years ago!  I had my first episode after a day in the boat (heat) and 2 beers.  I felt nauseous and went to lay down.  Got worse, went to the restroom, woke up on the floor in vomit.  Sprained my neck.  Went to ER in ambulance which was the worst thing because they put a neck brace on me and laid me on my back when I was about to vomit and passout repeatedly.  They treated me like I had anxiety!  Well I was afraid I would aspirate! duh.  Anyway, 6 months later, again.  Then 3 months , then 2 months, 1 month, twice a month.  I too was petrified because it came out of nowhere!!  mine usually come at 1 in the morning or something after restless sleep.  It would come after greasy food or a large meal.  I felt like my body wouldnt digest and that I would get food poisoning.  My symptoms were needing to swallow, itchy scalp (I felt a need to scratch my scalp?) totally light headed and so dizzy I wanted to die.  The room didn't spin, my brain felt like it was spinning. omg death!!! I would break out in a hot sweat and have violent diarhea (diarrhea) like water.  This is so grose, but it always smelled a funny smell when this happened.  I started to wonder if a family member was poisening me because it would come out of the blue.   I started writing down when it happened and what I ate or drank to make it happen.  I could not have 1 drink of alcohol.  Not one beer.  If I drank more than 2 cups of coffee I would have one.  If I ate anything sweet or greasy like fries.  I was afraid to eat or drink anything but bread and water.  I know it is linked to dehydration.  it happened after a long day in the sun too.  Alcohol and coffee cause dehydration.  I thought too that it may be my liver and had a biopsy, gallbladder removed, hysterectomy, shots in my head for "adbominal migrains".   Nothing worked. I went to every specialist there is and always got no diagnoses.  Test come back normal.  I got to the point where I want to be diagnosed with even cancer so I could at least have a diagnoses and explanation for this horrible lurking nightmare.  Finally I went to a chiropractor who is extremely smart and looks outside the box.  He got me on adrenaline supplements and I didn't have an eposode for a long while.  I stayed away from all coffee and alcohol.  NOT FUN.  But I am petrified to drink. My dad passed away, I had a sick foster baby, an adopted child with problems, and a bad marriage when my first one happened.  Do you notice that stress is happening at the time of your episodes?  I feel like life is leaving my body right before I pass out.  I get so weak that I cannot even talk or hold myself up.  One time (2 times ago)my dad was trying to welcome me to heaven and I had to say NO!  I had to force myself back into my "brain" that was spinning.  yes it sound horrible.  It was.  I had not had an eposode for 2 years until last week.  Ok heres the thing.  I should have known better.  I was tired from a trip which I took on a plane (dehydration) cold cold weather which dehydrated me,  coffee everyday because it was a lot of running around, up early and to bed late.  A lot of stress (stress causes dehydration) leg cramps and little dizzy spells.  Always had those symptoms before I would get sick. Also looking back on my life, even as a child I got dehydrated easily.  Hospitalized at 10 for it.  I would get sick and pass out in college if I drank too much.  It was in my history.  Moving on .  2 years ago I found another doctor who practices homeopathic, natural medicine.  He did bloodwork and found that I have a gene mutation.  THIS IS HUGE.  Have a bloodtest to check for MTHFR deficiency.  50 % of people have it and don't know.  Ever since I had my cortisol checked, hormones, adrenals, and have supplemented them, I went 2 years without an episode. The gene mutation causes me to not absorb b vits. and makes me  have a chain of events that cause me to dehydrate easily.  B vits. help our bodies with stress.  Stress dehydrates!  The puzzle is coming together.  I hope this helps you all on the journey to finding better health.  I will keep everyone in my prayers.  I used to call my kids and tell them I love them bc I thought I was dying.  They all live in my house.  They would be praying for me in the other room.  Too awful.  I am so sorry for you all. I totally understand.  
I have had the same thing happen several times in my life.  I get the strange stomach cramping and go into the restroom for a bowel movement.  I know that I need to have a BM but it won't come out.  Its like a violent BM that needs to come out but cant.  I get clammy and then serious sweating..... like pouring.  Then the dizziness and light headedness happens.  By this time I've got a cold wash rag and I'm trying to cool and calm my body.  Sometimes I fully pass out and oher times I just can't even keep my eyes open.  I also suffer from panic attacks so while all this is going on I have to try to keep my breathing slow and steady, which is nearly impossible.   By the time I finally have an explosive BM I'm usually naked, sweaty and feel like Im dying. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes there is another BM (less intense).  My stomach is usually still cramping but not as bad.  I use a heating pad to help it go away but the whole episode leaves my body weak and tired for at least 24 hours after.
I can usually tell when its going to happen but I can not prevent it.  
The first time I ever had one of these episodes, the doctor had prescribed  an SSRI for my IBS.  I went to bed that night and woke with a feeling that some thing was very wrong.  I am not prone to anxiety.  By the time I got to the bathroom, I was drenched in sweat, pj's soaked, I was nauseous, extremely weak, barely conscious.  Had 2-3 BM's, no vomiting...it all passed in a couple of hours.  My pharmacist convinced me that it was NOT the medication, so...a few weeks later, I tried it again.  Same results only much, much worse...lasting for hours.  I will NEVER take another SSRI again in my life.  I had another episode a week ago...  a bit different...huge bloating, stomach pain, severe sweating, nausea, severe weakness, barely conscious at times,  feeling like I was going to die.  I have never fainted before so maybe I was close to fainting.  I don't know.  This time, several BM's without diarrhea and then lots of vomiting.  It is scared when it happens.  I am 67 year old.
Sounds like you are suffering from severe constipation.

If you are struggling so much to get a BM and you are eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, eating fibre foods and drinking lots of fluids and nothing is helping, you do need to make an appointment to see your doctor.

It is important when eating dry fibre foods to also drink lots of fluids.  2 litres of water a day is usually recommended, but more if you sweat a lot.  

Some medications can cause constipation.

Having some form of exercise or going for a walk will also help with bowel movements.

The doctor may prescribe some gels for you to drink that keep the moisture in the stools so that it is not so hard and difficult to pass.
Straining so much can rupture little veins in the eyes and the brain.
Straining so hard can also cause problems with haemorrhoids and can also cause fissures.

Pain in the belly with change of bowel movements can sometimes be caused by diverticular disease and other bowel problems.  

If you are experiencing pains and uncomfortable sensations in the belly and you are now vomiting, ask your doctor about getting a stool checked for Helicobacter Pylori.  

Hope you get the correct diagnosis soon so that you can get the appropriate treatment.
I'm a 22 year old female and this has happened to me at least once a month since the age of 8 (when I started my period) I kept a diary of when this happens and compared it to my menstruation diary , and it only ever happens when ovulating, meaning it could be a hormonal thing in us women. (sorry  guys!)

However, I suffered this a few days ago, but also had the extra symptoms of blackouts , and blood in the stool. The episode only last an hour, then I went to bed, but I woke up in the morning with sever abdominal pain! Went to A&E , had blood tests and urine samples done (no stool sample which i thought was odd) only to find that this particularly bad episode with extra symptoms had been caused by a miscarriage (hadn't known I was pregnant, was only a week or 2 in). So the cause for me is defiantly hormonal.

Ladies, I'd suggest  getting your hormone levels checked, I've got low oestrogen levels, and you may get some closure on the matter. Guys even, get your hormone levels checked, more and more men (especially the guys with high body fat percentage) nowadays are getting breast cancer which is caused by dodgey hormone levels due to a poor diet. This defiantly could just be a hormonal thing.
Not a good sign seeing blood in your stool.
This will be due to straining when having constipation, when haemorrhoids can get aggravated and bleed.  Sometimes a split can happen inside the anus called a fissure that can bleed as well as internal haemorrhoids.

If your constipation has not resolved since the other issues have been dealt with, make an appointment to see your doctor.  He can prescribe a stool softener for you to drink as well as medication to shrink any haemorrhoids.  He may examine the inside the anus to see if there are any internal haemorrhoids or a fissure.

Drinking plenty of water.  2 litres of water a day is usually recommended, more if you sweat a lot.   Eating fibre rich foods and fresh fruit and vegetables should help.  Doing some form of exercise, or going for walks can also help with bowel movements.

Don't ignore blood on the stools.
I started to have these weird episodes during october 2013 when I was in 14. I was in a restaurant when I suddenly felt my stomach lurch and that I had to go to the bathroom to do the big thing. While walking to the toilet, I started to feel faint and my ears started to ring and black spots appeared in my eyes and cold sweat broke out.
I fainted before when visiting the Grand Canyon in the summer due to the hot weather, so I knew what was coming. I tried to get into the bathroom so that I could sit down and put my head between my knees, but I couldn't make it as my vision blacked out completely. I was still aware and was able to sit down in the corridor and make a call to my mom who was in the restaurant. She helped me into the toilet and I vomited immediately. My stomach pain had grew more and more painful until I dihoreaed then it stopped and only the light headed-ness and the cold sweat remained. It was one of the worst experiences in my life and I thought that I was actually going to go in a public restroom.
I am 16 now and the thing (what is the thing anyway?) keeps happening at least once every two months. I went to the doctors and they took samples of everything but couldn't find anything wrong with me. It happens in the worst moments too, the first time was when I was having lunch with a professor in my future profession, and then once it happened during assembly (it was horrible, I had to run away when the headmistress was speaking :/).
It happened again last night and so I finally gave up on the doctors and went online-thank goodness I found you guys!
I also have IBS and the same symtoms (symptoms) as you.I have had it for years and it seems to be getting worse.I take premerin as I had hysterectomy at 34 and I am now 75 so I am wondering if the premerin could be making it worse.I am going to try to cut down on my dose and see if that helps.I just get very bad hot flashes without it.I always grab a cold wet wash cloth and that seems to help from passing out but I usually end up on bathroom floor or if I can to the bedroom. thanks for your info.
Hi, I'm a 36yo male and have also had this problem irregularly for the last 18 years (averaging about once every year or two). I am otherwise healthy, not overweight and fairly fit. I've been to a doctor, but also didn't get any good explanation as to why this might occur. As an aside, I did find out that I have a mild case of hereditary hemochromatosis, but that seems to be unrelated and is easily treated by regularly donating blood.

I typically start with the urge to go to the toilet and then get waves of severe cramps and the feeling that my intestines are going to explode (always on the left side, so no worries about the appendix, but it still feels like I might die). For me this comes on slowly enough that I generally have plenty of time to get to a bathroom. After some time, I get out a regular stool followed by several bouts of awful smelling, anus burning (like an acid burn), diarrhoea and then I feel fine again. But before evacuating my bowels, I often feel faint with ringing/muffled hearing, pins-and-needles in my arms and legs and a cold sweat. I have also passed out a few times and fallen off the toilet, hurting myself. I only rarely feel like throwing up. I typically cope by leaning on a step-stool in front of the toilet (I don't want to get off the toilet in case I evacuate on the floor), with my head as low as possible, my legs up and vibrating, one arm applying pressure across my abdomen and hyperventilating until the pain passes/bowel movement happens. Cold surfaces also help.

I haven't identified any particular triggers for me, but it mostly seems to happen when I've overeaten (though I frequently overeat without getting this), though it doesn't seem to be related to what I have eaten. However, when it does happen, I have the impression that my intestines are filled (behind the regular stool) with a mixture of half-digested food and stomach acid.
I'm very glad to have come across this site.  I've been struggling with this for about 20 years or so.  I'm a 53 yr old female who works full time has 4 grown children and 3 grandchildren.  Had an episode last evening and recovering today.  I have Gastroparesis and am under my primary Dr and GI doctors care.  I've been hospitalized a couple time after having Ischemics episodes. In the past I've been diagnosed with Lupus, UC, Hydothryiodism, etc.  Tried many things over the years and not sure of any great solution.  From vegan diets to general avoidance of many foods.  The best advice I can give is to be good to yourself and enjoy every moment.
Omg, what a relief to read all this.  I just had another experience.  I have had this since I was little.  I get severe stomach aches where I feel I have to go to the bathroom.  Usually sit on the toilet for ever with nothing coming out.  The pain starts getting worse and worse where you start feeling hot and cold flashes.  Then you start to sweat and your hands start buzzing.  Before you know it your out and you wake up to a buzzing noise...shortly after you pretty much have explosive diarrhea.  You feel exhausted afterwards and then feel 100% better.  It's ridiculous on how excruciating the pain is. I found a few different things that have helped me through the years...I use to have these episodes a LOT more often than I liked.  Make sure you start to strip down a lot so you can cool yourself off.  Try putting your feet up on something so your in a squat like position...it helps your bowels move through a lot easier.  Trust me, it seems to shorten the experience by a lot.  I actually did no pass out this time because I lay down with a fan directly on my face with the window open so freezing air kept me cooled down.  I also realized that I had this after eating a lot of dairy today.  I usually eat super healthy and haven't had anything in a long time.  Also I noticed I get this when I don't drink enough water.  So stay hydrated!  I hate taking medications so I rather just beat this the healthy natural way by just keeping up with my healthy diet.  Good luck everyone...***** to experience this horrible pain.
What I have learned to avoid so far is: Dairy, tomato based foods, fried foods.  Should avoid fresh veggies as it's too rough on our systems, but I have to eat veggies.  I love my veggie garden.  I try hard not to eat too many salads and eat more cooked Veggies than fresh. Bummer, but better.
I agree that for some of us it is related to hormones. My episodes always happen just before my period. Because of the changes in my hormones it causes my gastroparesis to get worse and my food does not digest properly.  My OB/GYN perscribed Naproxen to be taken just before my period starts.  This seems to work for me with zofran for the nausea.  It takes away the pain and nauseous feeling and prevents an episode from occurring.  
I think with the doctors its a process of elimination.  A virus is what they told me the first time also.  FYI: Are you episode occurring around the same time of the month or during your pre-mentral period?
I am so happy to have finally stumbled upon these posts. I am not sure if there is a definite diagnosis but to see others have the same symptoms makes me feel less alone in this.
My symptoms started probably 10 or 15 years ago. I would be awakened in the middle of the night or sometimes it just randomly happened in the day time, with severe sweating and the urge to defecate. I called them wash cloth incidents so that someone, my husband , co-workers (yes so embarrassing to have this happen at work) would get me a wet cloth to put on my head while I laid on the cold floor with my feet up.
Lately I have been experiencing food triggers. I thought it was my allergy or intolerance for avocado but two weeks ago and again today I had an incident from mexican food no avocado just maybe to much pepper/hot sauce? Anyway it starts with stomach cramps and then the sweating the severe stomach pain and I just force my self to vomit. Once the offending food is all gone I feel 100% better. I am typically exhausted so I sleep for another couple of hours. I call these incidence 3 hour stomach aches. If I don't throw up I will be in writhing pain for 3 hours.I did see a comment about dairy and interestingly enough I have just started to make iced coffee at home. I normally do not consume dairy so I am going to def cut that out.  Im 51 year old female - Hypothyroid for 23 years on Synthroid.
What a relief to know others have this same thing! I'm 40 and I've had it for years and it typically occurs every few months. Usually at night between 11pm and 2am. Sometimes I'll start to feel sick at my stomach before bed and I know it's coming. The sick feeling gets worse for about an hour and then I feel the need to vomit. Sometimes I do, but the intense cramps start, major sweating, shakiness, and weakness to near fainting. I often have to lie on the floor because I don't have the strength to hold myself up and I'm starting to black out. Eventually I'll be able to get back on the toilet. Once the diarreah (diarrhea) passes and it's over, I feel fine and can sleep right away.  I've never been able to tie it to anything dietary, but possibly stress. I don't get that frightened because I know the drill by now. I was in my late 20's when it first happened. But I do live alone and hope I never pass out and hurt myself. And as I get older I wonder how I will physically deal with it when my body isn't as strong. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories, it helps us all.
Wow. You described what I have exactly. Have this several times a year all my life beginning when I was about 12. I know a lot of mixing of different foods during the day is never a good thing. Also eating buttered popcorn at the movies, or even a piece of cheese will trigger this. My symptoms begin as a feeling of cramps in my stomach, then constipation with feeling of diarrhea. Eventually explosive diarrhea after feelings of tingling in my fingers, extreme cramps, dehydration, sweating and chills simultaneously, and nausea. Most of the time I just want to die the pain is so bad. This is worse than labor that I had with my two children (and that was intense with both for over 24 hours) I would much rather go through labor pains than this. Just had another attack last night. I had a piece of cheese for lunch, but who knows?
You may find the web link below very informative and helpful.

http://www.uhs.wisc.edu/health-topics/digestive-system/upset-stomach.shtml

As you have noticed that you get these symptoms when you eat cheese and you have experienced other "trigger" foods, the best way to avoid the symptoms is to AVOID the foods that trigger off an attack.

Keep a record of everything that you eat and drink so that you can build up a picture to avoid all your "trigger" foods.

Because everyone is different, trigger foods will be different for different people.

The other consideration is hygiene and if you have eaten foods that have been prepared by other people (at a café or restaurant) hygiene of the place and the people preparing and serving your food also needs to be taken into consideration as well as how the food has been stored before use.

Always wash your hands every time you have used the toilet and before preparing and eating food.

Keep a list of the foods that trigger off your attacks and avoid them like the plague.

Wash any wiping cloths and dish cloths regularly as these harbour lots of bacteria the longer they are left after being used.

Store uncooked meats in the lower compartment of the fridge.  Never allow uncooked meats to come into contact with cooked foods.  Wash all vegetables, fruit and salads before you eat these raw.

I have experienced severe stomach poisoning - from a Greek restaurant where the occupier had diarrhea and still prepared the food, don't know what standard of hygiene as practiced either.  Nearly everyone that ate at that restaurant was very ill for a very long time.  My problem lasted for weeks after the initial really bad episode and that was even after having used Metronizadole which I purchased form the pharmacy on advice from a nurse who also got the same problem.

Even going through all that and 2 tough pregnancies and a miscarriage, the worst ever was the pain, diarrhea, vomiting and being completely "out of it" when having kidney stones.  The paid was so intense that it thrust me into a sitting position when I was lying in bed ill.  Even strong pain killers were of no use.

Thanks for the input jemma116. I don't eat out a lot now because I've heard nightmare stories about what goes on in the kitchen. I'm extremely clean when cooking my own food at home. This condition that I have sometimes has the triggers mentioned (cheese and buttered popcorn) and sometimes I'm shocked when it comes on because I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary. I usually have this condition about 3 or 4 times a year. I've had food poisoning before and it's similar to that.
My husband and I went on a second honeymoon to Florida and poor hubby was locked out of the hotel bathroom for 6 hours. I was stuck on the pot and he had to use the lobby restroom. I literally couldn't leave the bathroom and probably should have gone to the hospital that time. That particular day I had breakfast bar at Shoneys and shrimp dinner once getting to Fla. I guess I just need one meal a day to make sure I don't mix too many types of foods. Can't think of anything else it could be.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the shrimps that upset your stomach.
The shrimps may have been off, or you have an allergy to shrimps.

Shrimps should have a firm texture when cooked and not have a texture liked mashed potatoes.  If they are soft like mash, they are definitely off.

When abroad, never drink the water out of the tap, always boil it first or buy bottled water.  Avoid eating raw salads and raspberries when abroad unless you wash them with cooled bottled water.
I've had problems w/ bad gas pains before, probably IBS, would have them for a few years, then stop, then years later start up again. Greasy foods made it worse. They've started up again and today was worse than any before. Like someone said recently in these comments, it was pain as bad as labor pain. And I've given birth w/o drugs 3 times. It took every bit of concentration I had to focus on my breathing. I was in semi-public (a public place, but almost everybody there knew me) and all I wanted to do was curl up on the public bathroom floor and scream "help me!" After I got out of the bathroom (nausea but no vomiting, thank God), I lay down on a love seat, my husband checked on me, and it was like I was living in a time warp, he was there and then he wasn't and I thought I'd only blinked my eyes. My arms were tingly. So definitely that vaso... response. ...

This felt like I'd been building up to it -- I had a "foreshadowing" cramping a few days ago and my stools have been softer than normal. I still can't be sure it isn't an odd virus. At the same time, I'm pre-menopausal and this past week I've had significantly more hot flashes, I still have hormonal cycles and I've felt like I was nearing the end of one. (I don't always have visible indication of the "end" of a cycle.)

Here's the twist / my question:I feel like my bladder is under pressure -- not seizing, I'm not being forced to pee -- but it gives me an urgency and is uncomfortable....  I guess I'm just worried that I am making it all up -- that my brain is once again forcing me to focus on body pain so I won't feel the emotional pain I "should" be feeling.

I hate going to doctors every week and getting a kazillion tests and the only answer is "we can't find anything wrong."
Sounds like you may have a urinary tract infection.  As you feel uncomfortable in the bladder, it may be Cystitis.

Observe your urine.  Do a mid stream pee into a clean glass clear jar.  If the urine is cloudy, smells strongly, may be dark.  This could mean you have an infection.  A dark urine may mean that you are dehydrated so drink more water.

Sometimes the urine will look crystal clear, but a urine infection can be picked up on the urine dip sticks.

Drink more water - 2 litres a day is usually recommended, more if you sweat a lot.  

I you get an urgent need to urinate and going more often than usual, or still having the uncomfortable sensation in the lower belly, make an appointment to see your doctor and get the urine checked.

Best wishes
Thanks, jemma116. I thought of that, and it isn't impossible, but it doesn't feel like other bladder infections I've had. After more poking around the internet, I wonder if I've had an ovarian cyst rupture. I've had cysts before and tend (tended) to get mittelschmerz.  ... Shoot, for all I know my previous bouts of IBS / horrible gas, which always hurt on my lower left, were all sourced from my left ovary (the one that has had diagnosed cysts). ... This episode, however, was by far the worst, pain-wise. ... The way the muscle was cramping really truly reminded me of how uterine contractions act / feel.
I guess I should see a doctor.
Yes, it may be an infected cyst.  It had crossed my mind about kidney stones.

When kidney stones start to move, they can cause severe pain, nausea, sometimes vomiting as well as diarrhea.  You won't know that you have a stone in the urinary tract unless you have had an exray or other imaging done.

You would be wise to see your doctor to get a urine sample checked and if you still feel something is not right, to have an ultrasound scan done of your ovaries, womb, bladder and urinary tract (kidneys and ureters).

Ensure that you drink plenty of fluids so as not to get dehydrated and if it is a urinary problem it will also help to flush out any bugs.  Drinking 2 litres of water a day is usually recommended, more if you sweat a lot.

Let me know how you get on.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Male / 25
I experienced this for the first time in my life. I wasn't eating to much that day and i had 3 coffees. At around 23:00 I had this feeling that i had when I was about to have diarrhea so i ran to the bathroom, the pain intensified i was sweating alot, and slowly i started to black out, i was thinking im about to die cause i never passed out in my life. I took 2 deep breaths and regained my vision so i didn't faint, but almost. After maybe 20 minutes when all the diarrhea came out of me i was feeling much better. Hopefully this never happens to me again, it was really scary.
I had episodes of these symptoms since around 7 yrs old. It was diagnosed as a 'grumbling appendix' when I was 13, so my appendix was removed - but the episodes continued. Those description of overheating, then regaining consciousness lying on the cold bathroom tiles are horribly familiar!
Finally, at age 43, I discovered that my major triggers were the vegetables from the Nightshade family - hence potatoes, tomatoes, aubergines and bell peppers, plus anything derived from them (potato starch, chilli powder, paprika, cayenne etc). Avoiding all these can be tricky (no ready meals;  eat out only in places where you can talk direct to the chef about what seasonings have been used etc) but if you are still searching for triggers, then it may be worth a try.
I still get very occasional episodes (2 or 3 per year) so there may be an extra trigger I have not identified yet - but that is a vast improvement on what went before.
I decided to google this subject after an episode today at noon.  I've only had these 2 other times, spaced several years apart, and I'm 71.

Just got home from church & lunch when it hit me.  Thankfully I could make it to my own bathroom!  Oh the pain, and immediately began sweating.  I laughed (not really!) at someone's post above when it was stated off came the jewelry, and I still had quite a bit on from being out.  Then the clothes.  Nausea was awful, but did not vomit.

I could feel myself passing out, and just kept taking deep breaths and touching the cool bathroom wall.  The other 2 times this hit me, I did pass out.  Once face first and home alone, the other to the bathroom floor and my husband had to help me up.  This time I managed to stay alert.

I started thinking about what may have been different in the last day or so.  Yesterday I had vertigo, and took 4 meclazine throughout the day to survive that.  So now I've learned (after googling) that it can cause diarrhea!  Wow, a medication to help the horrible problem of dizziness causes another horrible problem.  I'll try to think of something to counteract that med next time I need to take it.

The best to all as you battle this disease.  I'll really feel for those of you who can attribute it to hormones.  
A few days after the episode I saw my GYN; she thought it sounded like ovarian cyst rupture or twist, or kidney stone. My urine was clean and on examination she felt like there could be a cyst. I didn't get an ultrasound until yesterday; she called to tell me it was completely normal. She doesn't say that there was no cyst, only that there isn't currently a cyst.
So I'm going to hope that as I continue through menopause the worries of a cyst will go away along with the ovary's shrinking.
I am sure if you had a cyst in the ovaries the GYN would have told you.
So it is good that that things are normal.  

What the GYN means when she says "there isn't currently a cyst", is that you have no cysts now, but that does not mean you won't get one later on.
Might have been that cyst that you had that popped after all.  

Did you get your urinary tract scanned?  A kidney stone won't show up in the urine test.  Only when a stone (and it can be as small as a grain of sand) moves will it cause an infection and it is the infection that would show up on the urine test.

Ensure that you drink plenty of fluids and especially water.

Take care.
Best wishes.

Something to think about... I've had  this about 30 times in the last 20 years and it was chalked up to stress, heavy meals, wine, etc.  I would go to a wedding/banquet/nice restaurant and 1.5-2 hrs later would be sweating, have horrible abdominal cramps and churning, and then explosive diarrhea off and on.  5-6 hours later I would be fine.  It never happened at home, only after being out.  I had my first every symptoms at home after I sprinkled "Accent" on a steak (after asking the butcher why restaurant steaks tasted so much better than mine).  "Accent" is MSG.  Every time I have the reaction now, I can pinpoint MSG ingestion (commonly used at banquets to keep the food tasting flavorful when being mass produced).  The last time was when I ate potatoes that had been sprinkled with Lipton Onion Soup Mix.  It took me 15 years to figure this out...
Think about MSG.  I had the same symptoms for 15+ years, mostly after restaurants, weddings, banquets, etc.  Ten years ago, someone recommended that I sprinkle my steaks with Accent (MSG) to enhance the meat flavors like the restaurants do...for the first time I had symptoms at home.  I now ask when I eat out, and read all labels.  When it rarely happens now, I can pinpoint it to something, like eating potatoes that had been sprinkled with Lipton Onion Soup Mix (MSG) at a friend's house.  Hope this helps!  For years it was blamed on stress, heavy meals, and wine.
33 yr old male here, former football offensive lineman, so I'm a big guy, around 6'4", 290 lb.

Found this board after I experienced a similar episode last night for the first time. I am currently on a low/no carb diet, have been for about a month. Last night I ate 2 cheeseburgers, no bun, tomato slice, onion, and I like spicy foods, so I threw on some Sriracha, mustard, and had a few pickle spears. I was also enjoying a few vodkas with soda water, but nothing out of my usual weekend routine, which is around 12 oz vodka consumed. Around 12am, I ate a late night snack of pickles and a few slices of sharp cheddar cheese, then I reclined in my lazy boy and went to sleep. At 1am, I woke with nasty gastrointestinal bubbling like I had to go to the bathroom immediately. As I stood up from my chair, I was flooded with dizziness and nausea. I leaned over on my couch to try and shake it off... about 20 seconds later, I attempted to stumble up the stairs to my bedroom/bathroom (I didn't want to do what I was sure would be some nasty business in the common bathroom, as I have 2 roommates) and as I reached the first step, all I can remember is grabbing for the round ball atop of the bannister to take my first step.

I woke up on the floor, about 20 seconds later, profusely sweating. My roommate who was watching me out of concern (he had been sitting on the couch as I stood up initially, then witnessed me lean over the couch) said I just basically crumpled into a ball and fell backwards like I was dead. I fell with such force that I half crashed through the drywall behind me. I couldn't stand for around 5 five minutes, I just lay on the floor and finally crawled into bed. Thankfully, the symptoms abated and I was able to get some rest, but this morning on the way to work, I had terrible stomach cramps and as soon as I got to my job, the explosive diarrhea I've read so much about on this board. As I worked through the day, I also experienced clamminess and profuse sweating from last night during very light physical work.

Can anyone help me figure out what the hell happened to me last night?
I'm glad to find others who have the same issue.  I'm a 46 year old female in good health.  My episodes began happening in my late 20s and seem to be more frequent the older I get.  It used to only happen a couple of times a year, but now I've had two in the past two months.

My episodes are always at night (usually after I'm asleep).  Severe intestinal cramping.  I go to the toilet, break out in a sweat and attempt to get to the floor before I pass out.  I don't always make it and have hit my head and face on more than one occasion. I've even ended up in the bathtub.  It comes on that quickly.  I typically awake mumbling and groaning.  Last night I bit my lip so hard that it is swollen and I have a wound.  My neck is sore as I seem to have faceplanted directly into the rug.  My husband was afraid I wasn't breathing since I was face down.

Once I'm able to get up, I typically have a BM often followed by diarrhea.  I have also vomited a couple of times. I always wake up sweating and seizing.

I not only want to know what it is, but how to stop it.  I've started documenting when they happen and what I ate that day.  I hope it could be as simple as a food or ingredient allergy.  However, the last time I had a salad with grilled chicken which hardly seems harmful.
I wanted to share my easy way to control those horrible severe abdominal pains that accompany diarrhea. I discovered it recently and it always works. When you start to feel that pain in your abdomen, just gently twist at your waist - hips go in one direction, shoulders go in the opposite direction - like you're doing the twist. Keep doing that, and the pain will subside. This movement will also get all the excrement out a lot faster. You can even do it while sitting on the toilet, also while in bed. It really works. Sometimes you can even hear the gases rumbling through the intestines.

The twisting motion must free the trapped gases or whatever in the intestines that are causing the excruciating pain. This discovery has been a Godsend.
I forgot to mention something. When we get those horrible abdominal pains, the natural reaction is to bend over forward, which is probably the worst thing we can do. That only constricts the intestines even more.

I am not a health professional, but this twisting motion has worked repeatedly for me and I wanted everyone to know about it because those abdominal pains are torturous. Please try it. You will save yourself a lot of misery.
I've posted on here multiple times before.

A few things for clarification.  I am 37 year old female and have had 6 of these attacks in the last 9 years. They are absolutely not connected to my menstrual cycle, and I have an extremely healthy digestive system--no IBS for me.  This doesn't discount what others have said, but perhaps what we have does differ as far as the triggers.

I rarely eat out or order out.  I grow my own fruits and vegetables.  I eat no meat or milk products, but do eat eggs, fish, nuts, fruits, and vegetables.  I do not eat much bread or pizza because of my past attacks that are related to dough.  Boo!  And beer is something I also have to be careful about because beer on tap can have a high yeast content.  

Last month, I had attack #6 after going to a restaurant--a decent medium-priced local chain--and ordered something I had before that didn't give me an attack.  Something as simple as they used left over dough from the day before that had been frozen, or added nutritional yeast to the hollandaise sauce put me on the floor.  In my case, I know it has to do with yeast and whether it has been frozen in dough or fresh. Somehow the chemical composition changes and my body rejects it as poison. But even with some of this to help me control the number of episodes, I still think of it as an invisible enemy and, let's face it, I won't be much fun to be around at a pizza and beer party.  :(

After following this site for over a year, I have learned not to get tested for every single thing.  Vasal Vagal Syncope is just what it is and it ***** that we can't do something when we feel an attack coming on, like having an Epi-Pen or something.  BTW: I haven't tried an Epi-Pen during an attack, if anyone has, please report and let us know if it helped at all.  
Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine. I just get the attack during the day and I am w what you figureon the floor because I have no strength. I am wondering if apple cider vinegar will help. I have seen that suggestion floating around. Let me know what you find out from doctors, if you don't mind. I am quite anxious about this.
I definitely think that you are correct about dehydration. I have not been watching my water intake and I had a terrible attack that left my insides feeling raw and my lower belly like a 3- month pregnancy. This has happened to me before and it is very scary because I feel as if I have no control and can only writhe on the floor before fainting. Maybe too much alcohol too. Thanks for your post.
This is how I survive our severe attacks of pain, we all have:  Hyoscyamine Sulfate (Mfg-Virtus), 0.125mg subluminal pills.  I am not a doctor, however, my Gastroenterologists prescribed to me for DX-IBS.  I take 1/2 of a pill, only when needed, let it dissolve under my tongue and symptoms cease in about 15 minutes.

My experience is shared below:

I am a victim of the above symptoms and have been for about 5 years.  In the last week, I had 4 episodes.  Almost all of my historical episodes are at night, around 2-3:30 am while I am deep in REM sleep.  I start with the severe cramps, especially on the left side of my abdomen (pain that I relate to child birth or passing out), then nausea, and cold sweats.  When I'm finally able to defecate, it helps, but lately I haven't been able to do that due to my limited in-take of food every day.  One more thing, I am in pre-menstrual period week and believe that my hormones may have something to do with these horrible episodes.  Before this past week, I haven't had our horrible episodes in about 2 or more months. Hope this helps others. Thanks for your postings as well, as I'll try some of the suggestions.
I get these cramps all the time I have since I was 18yrs old, I'm 24 now. I found when I eat healthy foods, and by healthy I don't mean "lean". I mean veggies like crazy and the rare white meat like chicken I don't have these attacks. But as soon as I eat something greasy and alot of meat they come back in full force at least 2 times a day. I've had alot of test done, the doctors couldn't figure it out. We always assumed it was IBS, but the problem was everything would cause it besides greens and white meat. I mean don't get me wrong I eat like horrible still and have these painful moments. But tbh that's all that I've found that worked.
I too am glad that I found this site and these posts.  I had my worst episode, by far, this morning.  It was the first time though that I felt like I was going to  pass out.  Deep breathing really helped.  Oddly enough, I didn't have a lot of cramping like I usually do, and, I realized that I didn't have a firm bowel movement before I had diarrhea either. Don't get me wrong, I had some cramping, but not as severe as usual.  I did had the tingling in my hands and feet, shaking in my arms and legs, ringing in my ears with some loss of hearing, and sweat just rolling down my face and body.  You know the drill.  It was horrible!

My episodes started happening after I had my gallbladder removed. They usually happen during the day and always occur minutes to a few hours after I eat.  What I eat doesn't seem to matter, but here is what I have discovered, my episodes usually occur after I have not eaten for several hours and then eat something with a lot of fat or sugar and/or drink something with caffeine in it, like coffee or sodas.  So, here are my conclusions from my research and personal experimentation...When you eat a meal heavy in fat or sugars, the gallbladder releases bile to help digest the food.  When you do not have a gallbladder, or if your gallbladder isn't functioning properly, the bile starts collecting in your stomach instead of staying in the gallbladder to be released when needed.  So, when you have stomach with bile in it, and then you eat a meal heavy in fat, the bile immediately does what it is supposed to do and grabs the fats and sugars and takes them on down the intestines.  Now, if you are dehydrated or if your bowels don't work like they normally should your stool does not move through your intestines like it should (or maybe you haven't had your bowel movement for the day). So when the bile and fat mixture hits the stool that has been in your intestines, it gets stopped in its tracks.  This liquid mixture of bile has to get out of your intestines so your intestines kick in high gear to get the other stool out in order to get the bile mixture out.  Because of this, your body starts diverting all the blood and fluid to your intestines to help get the stool out, hence the light-headed feeling and fainting, and then your intestines start contracting, i.e. bubbling/cramping, and hence the VV symptoms. Know why the pain is on the left side?  That's where your stomach is and that is where the bile is mixing with the food and starting the whole episode...  Well, that's it... I am not a doctor but I do have the internet and personal experience, right? Ha!

I have found that if I drink more fluids during the day, to encourage regular bowel movements, and if I don't let my stomach get very empty, i.e. small meals and snacks during the day instead of waiting and eating larger meals, I do not have these episodes.  It is when I haven't been having regular bowel movements (for whatever reason - stress, dehydration, hormones, not eating enough fiber) AND I go a long time before eating, I have one of these episodes.   When I really pay attention to those two things - regular bowel movements, so there are no "road blocks" and healthy snacking in between meals, so that bile doesn't collect in my stomach, I have no problems.  (As for episodes that happen in the middle of the night, perhaps your food is staying in your stomach longer and your body produces more bile to help with digestion and that is why it hits at night.  I don't eat past 8:00 p.m. so that may be why I don't have episodes in the middle of the night.)

I hope this insight helps some of you.  It is truly a horrible and scary experience!  I'm glad to see that I am not alone! I just need to be better at following my own rules!
Hi guys, I've had very similar episodes as what has been mentioned. This week's one was the worst though. I ended up getting tetany in my hands (hands spasms that you can't control).
Has anyone had this before?

Sarah
My last attack was saturday night, earlier than other times (4 in all,) which was great becasue my wife was still awake and I recognized my symptoms and I was able to call for her before I blacked out.

I't starts with severe lower stomach pain, (really painfull) then I have the erge to go to the toilet but while there I grow weak, sweat and my eyes just become so heavy thats when I know I'm going to black out.
With my wife being there this time to see me and to stop me from falling, which I usually do, onto the tile floor (fractured cheekbone, into the edge of the bathroom door jam fabulous black eye lasted for nearly 2 weeks plus the skull bone around the eye may have a fracture). she said this timme when I blacked out I had a small seizure and this was the first time I vomited, no nice.

My first attach was in my 30's just passed out.

Second time was after a flight from Australia to the US 2012 Taken to hospital was diagnosed with A Fib as well.

Third time around midnight 2015

Fourth time was last saturday night.

There was around 20 years between 1st and second attack, the last three have been within the last 3 years and the last 2 only months apart.
Its a little scary that they are coming more often.

I also have Divaticulitis, which I don't think would help this other problem much.

Hope that this info is helpful.

Jo

I have noticed that in 3 of the 4 times I had some STRESS, we agree that it may be a factor to this happening also.
Viewing 801-874 comments: