Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting
I have experienced on 4 occasions in the last 6 years a rather weird Diarrhoea attack which really is painful and scary. Here is a description of what occurs.

1. Sudden abdominal pain which increases in intensity over a short time. The same sensation one might get when they are about to get Diarrhoea.

2. I go to the toilet and try excreting whatever wants to come out. However after about a minute of sitting there with nothing coming out I suddenly few light headed and am starting to get a dizzy spell like I am about to faint and my breathing weakens.

3. This borderline fainting sensation lasts for about another minute before I break out into a sudden sweat all over my body. Within a few seconds I have sweat literally pouring out of me, my clothes are wet as if I ran a marathon or something.

4. After a minute of sweating I suddenly feel something coming out of my rear end. I try to squeeze it out and only a hard stool comes out.

5. The sweating stops and the stomach cramp subsides. I think everything is over and I clean up. I walk out of the toilet and in about 2 minutes time the stomach cramp and the fainting sensation comes back (I've fainted only once to date from this and was out for about 15-20 minutes).

6. When I get back to the toilet I have a really violent Diarrhoea episode in pure liquid state. It takes a few minutes to subside and once I
I get something like this too...but I have LOTS of intestinal problems...and namely...I also had my gallbladder taken out about 10 years ago....I get "attacks" where I have SEVERE pain in the midle of my gut (triggered by pain meds.....wine....greasy food...and ????) I get VERY pale...sweat PROFUSELY, drool and then either vomit....have watery stools, fart or....if I'm REALLY unlucky....suffer from these WAVES of pain, vaso-vagal(?) type symptoms for HOURS until they subside...sometimes hycosamine will work...sometimes 4 tums...and once and a while nothing but time cures it.....I have been told IBS....and intestinal intussusuption (found on two CT scans)diverticulitis...then I started to read up on Sphinter of Oddi syndrome...and it was like I was reading stories NOT from others suffering from it...but like I had written them myself....I get yellow stools and burning bile that backs up into my system and causes complete HAVOC....

All I can say is good luck to you....in 20 years, I have seen about 15 MD's and ALL of them have different opinions....and MOST of them tried to tell me it was "all in my head"
I've suffered from a severe case of IBS (Irritable Bowel) for most of my life, and have had cases such as this happen to me often. It may or may not be related to some form of allergy. You should contact a specialist (gastro-intestinal), and please be sure to drink water, for the diarrhea and sweating can dangerously dehydrate you. It may also be the case of why you get so dizzy. Another thing I found that helped was being sure to lay down in a fetal position after the pain subsides, though I'm sure there is a much better way to deal with it.

I do hope what I said helps you, take care.
Hi, I relate to a lot of what you said, I have never fainted, but all the rest applies and I have nausea with it, though am not actually sick. My understanding is like Kiesh said, that it's IBS. Although, I'm never sure if the sweating part is a result of coping with the pain, or if it's my body sweating out something that I'm allergic or intolerant to. If it's an allergy (for me) I think it might be to MSG, if it's an intolerance (again for me) at the moment I'm thinking it's to very fatty foods. It's always worse when I'm stressing about something. Does any of that apply to you? You can get IBS tabs over the counter (we can here in UK anyway). Or you might want to try testing out foods to see if you are allergic/intolerant. It's a pain to do this (I keep meaning to, but haven't yet). You have to keep a diary of everything you eat and how you feel each day. Then eat very bland food for, say a month. Next introduce whatever you want to test for. If it brings on the symptoms, you've probably found the cause. If not, add something else into your diet to test for that. But also, if you haven't already, do get some medical advice to rule out  the nasties. The odds are very much that it's not anything really scary, but you definitely should check to make sure. My doctor told me that approx 25% of people have IBS. Wishing you well. Louise
I too have fainted during an onset of severe cramps.  I usually squirm on the bathroom floor and then I start sweating and then I wake up about 20 min later on the bathroom floor.  It is unimagineable pain that I am in and it is always a scarey experience when I am about to faint.  It is nice to hear that I am not the only one that experiences this.. Alicia
This is a simple vasovagal reaction. It happens to many people when they have any kind of gastrointestinal upset, because  it stimulates the vagal nerve. It's the most common cause of fainting, and some people experience it nearly every time they have a bowel movement (bummer)! You can see my explanation to Trika (drinking water causes unconsciousness) for a complete explanation of how vasovagal reactions happen. Basically, though, your gastrointestinal upset +/- the valsalva pushing (holding one's breath and bearing down) are both adequate to stimulate the vagus nerve which causes an immediate drop in blood pressure and heart rate. The result? A drop in blood supply everywhere - including the brain - which causes a sudden loss of consciousness. Once our head is lower down (eg. on the bathroom floor!) it's easier for blood to get there thanks to gravity, and we regain consciousness.

Since the diarrhea attacks are pretty infrequent, I wouldn't worry too much about them. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that there's a clue in what you describe - you pass hard stool first, and then a few minutes later, have diarrhea. This can happen with people who are transiently constipated - there's a hard stool blocking the passage of everything else and your body will suffer excruciating cramps in an attempt to "move it along." Then, once the "obstacle" is passed, you'll have a bout of diarrhea, which may have resulted from the colon secreting fluid in an attempt to soften and pass the "obstruction."

Hopefully that makes these "mystery" bouts less mysterious!

Jr.

I was just looking to find out more about this same thing on the internet and found this site.  About 4 times a year I get stomach cramps that cause me to start sweating, intense diarrhea...the pain gets so severe, it makes me want to vomit. Often I find walking around or getting up and down helps the bowels to move and then I am fine; however, once, about 10 years ago, I passed out face first in the bathroom and woke up later. Then, just two days ago, another episode and fainting spell.  Unfortunately, I went head first and split open my nose, and now have a puffy lip and somewhat of black eyes.  But, I do find that it may be after a stressful event and I was probably constipated and finally relaxed and/or I have eaten some rich foods.  My husband suggested to take deep breaths more, and not hold my breath.  I just don't want it to happen where I hurt myself again, more serious, and no one is around.
Thanks Jr for the explanation.  I just experienced the symptoms you described yesterday.  After having lunch at a spicy/greasy chinese restaurant, I had a severe stomach cramp 1st, then felt dizzy and passed out in a grocery. I remembered I went in a nice dream for very short time then became concious again.  I went to the bathroom and had soft stool.  My blood pressure was so low that ambulance came and sent me to ER.  After waiting for a doctor for more than 1 hour without anyone showing up, I decided to be discharged.  I was a little bit concern for my decision to leave, after reading your post, appears something not to be worried.  Thanks for the explanation.
I to came across this site looking for answers. I have had this problem for almost 20 yrs and don't know what to do. It mostly comes on in stressful times but not always. I can eat a small amount or a large amount of food. Within the hour of eating and with about a 3 minute warning my stomach bloats up with gas. I go to the bathroom immediately have diarrhea. My ears get hot and ring, I start to sweat. the pain in my stomach is so intense the next thing I know I'm on the floor with someone slapping me to wake up. I don't know what to call it - Fainting or a sezure. When I'm out I feel like I'm shaking but my husband says I'm not.  I do have constipation but not when this happens.  I could have this 2 to 3 times a year or a few years could go by. Whenever, this is very scary and it drains me the rest of the day. What can be done? Help  ---- Sandra
Exactly what you described happens to me maybe 2-3 times per year.  I went on line trying to find some answers too. It always seems to happen at night.  I've found the best way to avoid passing out is to stay in bed with my head down and my knees bent under me until the sweating and "burning up" part passes and then I am able to make it to the toilet after that. I don't know what triggers these episodes other than the fact that I usually haven't eaten very well that day (i.e lots of fatty foods etc.)  I never thought about the possibility that it was caused by constipation.  That might be something to thing about.  It certainly feels like my body is just completely rejecting something and doing whatever it takes to get rid of it.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has this happen to them!
I have started fainting around I was 6 yrs. started w/ playing& headaches & as I got older it came w/ cramps & now for the last 12yr is happens when I get diarrhea. If it happen in the middle of the night I can promise that I will faint.
2 nights ago I awoke in extreme pain. Went to the BR where a fainted w/ in sec of sitting down. When I can to, I could feel pressure. I sat back down & the movement started. I could feel my self getting ready to faint again. so I laid my upper body on top of a hamper. the 1st movement was very solid & as every movement happen it became softer until almost water. @ this point I looked as if I had just ran 20 miles I had sweat running down my body & was physical exhausted. Now if the diarrhea happen in the time while I'm awake. I will get physical sick & vomit.. I'm a 35 yrs Female 62 bpm heart rate.
I just had a bad episode last night.  I usually experience it 2x a year for several years now.  I relate my symptoms to eating a certain bad cheese.  last night was the worse of all.  It seems like it was longer and it really scared me.  I have to call my husband and have him hold me up.  He said I was so pail, the only thing that's preventing me from passing out is him talking to me.  I spoke to my Mom before and she told me that my Dad has the same problem and he also had episodes of passing out.  Since my Dad lived in another country I didnt have the chance to talk to him about this.  I already had colonoscopy done a few years ago and nothing was wrong.  
i just had a bout at around 3am this saturday morning...i had felt this harsh pain, like gas regurgitating (sp?), from my throat into a burp in days leading up to this morning. I eat alot of spicy foods, drink coffee, and consume alcohol regularly, so i think it might have to do with these foods that trigger my stomach to want to throw it up but instead end up having a hard stool followed by liquidy diarrhea along with POURING sweat...

does everyone here eat the foods and liquids i mentioned as part a a regular diet? just wondering...thanks in advance for any response
In your first post...that is just how I feel everyday!!! Today I went back to my docotrs...well they did a blood test last week, and I got the results today! I have Peptic Ulcer Disease...they do a bllod test to see if you have the bacteria H Pylori and mine was positive!

Just something for you to look into! I wish you all the luck in the world! I know how horrible it is in to live with all those symptoms! I suffered for 3 years till today! I only pray that this will end it all for me!!?

I have experience the exact same thing on and off for years! Its so scary isn't it?! I am so relieved  to hear that its a real condition and I am not going mad! I must admit Chinese food is often associated with this for me so the MSG thing is a real possibility. Stress and dehydration is also a common denominator. I think we just don't look after ourselves and pay enough attention to our diet which is difficult to do these days.
Stress busting and healthy eating is the way forward!

Jacqui.  
Wow, this is unreal.  I had exactly the same thing happen to me last week, just exactly as you described it (except no hard stool--just diarrhea). The same thing also happened to me 10 yrs ago, after I ate some fish; I thought at the time maybe the fish was bad, but now that the same exact thing happened again, I know it wasn't food poisoning. I do get diarrhea with bad cramps maybe 4 or 5 times a month, but not to the extent of fainting. Both times the fainting/diarrhea attack happened to me, I had just finished eating. The diarrhea lasted about 3-4 days, with some minor rectal bleeding. Also, I've noticed that when I get the "milder" diarrhea attacks, they're usually in the morning, anywhere from 5 min. to an hour after drinking my morning cup of coffee, or after eating lunch. I don't have any major health problems other than this!
I too can relate to your story. Not just an hr ago I went through this same thing: stomach cramps and nausea; light headed, turned pale, I got really hot all over sweating from head to toe; loss in blood pressure that I couldn’t even hold my head up, felt like I would pass out; severe stomach cramps and liquid diarrhea, in my case there was no hard stool. I have experienced this problem probably 5 or 6 times in my life and I am 46. Difference today is that I did not eat a thing all day, only 3 cups of coffee over a 2 hr period and this episode occured around noon. In the past I some times felt like vomiting, but today I did not. After it subsided I had to lay down for an hr only for it to begin all over again, but this time not as bad. I was diagnosed last yr with a hiatal hernia and was prescribed Nexium twice a day. This is hereditary unfortunately. I just have to watch what I eat. I had forgotten to take my Nexium today.  I really believe it's a diet thing, watch your intake, don’t abuse it.
I have this something similar happen to me after an intense workout. If I go to the gym and run on the treadmill or do the elliptical it wont happen. But if I play in a soccer game, which is a lot more intense, then it happens consistently. During the game I dont sweat much...I would say a normal amount. But when I am done playing, my back/chest/stomach area sweat profusely all night long. Only those areas though. Not my face or lower body at all. I take a shower-have even tried cold showers and I still soak the bed everytime. I have to sleep with towels wrapped around my upper body and change them every 30 minutes because they get soaked so quickly. Sometimes I also have stomach cramps along with this. Sometimes bad and sometimes not that bad. If I have a bowel movement right before playing or dont eat anything the whole day(which is also dangerous), it doesnt happen. I dont know what could be wrong with me but it very annoying and sometimes scary.
Go for a WALK immediately upon onset of symptoms. The movement massages the gut, aiding the elimination process. It won't eliminate the pain (though sometimes it helps) but it helps the body get over the ordeal faster. At least it does for me.

Of course, if you feel faint, STAY PUT and sit or lie down, preferably in a carpeted room (not a concrete floor, like I've passed out on before).

I too have found that eating greasy food sometimes precipitates an episode.
I too have suffered the same symptoms for the last 25 years. No doctor has been able to diagnose it. It seems that my body is trying to lose as much liquid as possible through intense sweating and extreme diarrhoea  I think that the very painful cramps and feignting are a result of the water loss. Usually, if I can recognise the attack soon enough I can head off the worse by drinking a lot of water very quickly. This morning, 2am, I had the most severe attack yet. So bad I had my wife call 911. The problem is that the docs never get to witness the attack. The doc in the hospital was convinced it was gastro entiritis (sp?).
I am encouraged to hear that my symptoms are not unique, but a little dissappointed that there seems to be no known condition and thus management of it. I read the reference to vasovagal reaction, but after reviewing many websites on the topic do not see that much similarity to our symptoms. I found the same to be true for IBS.
If anyone discovers anymore on this condition, please share.
Check out Acute Pancreatitis. A lot of the symptoms are similar. I am awaiting results of blood tests. Will update once I have more info.
I just had this happen to me at 6:30 AM this morning.  It was so scary.  I had this once last year, but I was in Lebanon and I thought it was because I drank some of their water and it was a virus or something, but it happened again.  I don't eat badly.  I stay pretty healthy.  I did have Chinese food last week, but nothing too greasy.  In Lebanon I didn't have any greasy foods.  It was all very healthy and I still had these symptoms.  I seriously thought I was dying.  It's nice to know that I'm not alone, but the circumstances are terrible.  I was sweating so badly and I just rested my head on the bathroom wall because I was so weak.  I hope there is a cure for this some how, but it doesn't happen that often.  
went through this episode where I had the exact same symptons, fainted, profuse sweating, gastro upset. passed out three times.  this happened three months before with out the passing out. This time heart was racing,blood pressure low. couldn't call 911 if I wanted to.  couldnt get off bathroom floor for an hour or so. Went to emergency room..long story short..this episode had possibly damaged my heart and the heart attack enzyme was elevated. i had a murmur surgically repaired 27 years ago and now doctors are saying that there could be electrical problems to the heart,etc.......wanted to keep me in hospital to do a catherization that would check heart electrical impulses but i convinced my primary doc to let me do it on a outpatient basis...scary stuff
I have had these symptoms since i can remember and I'm so relieved i have found this site so i now know other people suffer from this and its not just me. Cramps, Dizzy, Fainting, Sweaty, Loose Bowel Movement and often beeing sick. a couple of times i have fainted and have been shaking whilst passed out. It feels like I'm about to die. Some times i can't speak cos my tongue has gone funny and my hands are stuck in the same position. These attacks can last up to 20 minutes, they are so exhausting all i want to do is sleep after an attack. I have woken up in the night to go to the loo and pass out. The doctor doesn't seem to no what it is and the last doctor i saw said it was just me and my body and its somthing that i do. Lately they have been happening more frequently, Ive had 6 attacks since December 07. it is really quite scary and i would love to find a cure.
I ended up in ER..took me about 5 hours after resting to have the strength to even go there.  Look up vaso vagal syncope  in my case they think it was neurocardiogenic syncope. I am going for tests. When I got home from hospital I noteived I had two bruises on my head where I had passed out in bathroom.Feels like the end is near when this happens but if you are relatively healthy your body has that mechanism in place to get you low to the ground fast so you can get blood to your brain..SEE A NEW DOCTOR..Go in educated. I had four doctors from the ER to a primary to a cardiologist and they want to do more tests..sounds llike you need that too..
Ive had many a bump on my head mainly when i was a kid, I  didn't no what was happening or how to deal with it and i would just pass out on the toilet, coming round when my mum was dragging me out to the garden to get some fresh air. I'm a  relatively healthy 32 year old. Ive explained my symptoms to may doctors but still no answers. Ive just read about vasovagal syncope and it does sound like it could be that. I'm going to  print it off and show the doctor. It is more severe when i haven't had a bowl movement for a wk or so. Ive never had regular bowel movements and often go a wk with out going so Ive just started taking  senokot when i haven't been for a while in hope that this will work. thanks for your advice
Man, you have been going through this since you were a kid.  plus the no bowel movements for a week at a time...must be stressing you out big time. I wish you all the luck. You sound like you might be from the UK?  if you are, I wonder what type of medical system is over there and why you haven't been properly diagnosed yet?  
Yes i am from the UK and from my experience the medical system is rubbish, it didn't  help that my mum never took me to the doctors about it when i was a kid. Its becoming more frequent as I'm getting older and the attacks are more severe, its driving me nuts!!
To be honest i had given up with the doctors but now Ive read these articles I'm going to definitely go again
it isnt great here either..I was afraid to death to even go to the emergency room because I have such a high deductable on my insurance. I really wish you all the luck in the world.. Sux that we have to look to the internet because we arent getting the help we need. and i hear you on the mother thing, I should have had this heart murmur fixed when I was nine, not twenty..Mother's decision..
Please keep me updated.  I will do the same with any tests I get done or whatever.
Take Care
hi ican understand your worry i too have terrible bouts of ibs pain i too have tried to go to the toilet only to fall of in bath of sweat the pain from my bowel is excrutiating and i have actually passed out with the pain. my doctor says it is not life threatning but as i get older i fear this is going to kill me off.
yer thats just what im worried about. i cant see my body is going to take it when i get really old.
I have had this problem for 18 years now with mths of no bouts. I have even stopped eating meat and not eating for hours before going to bed. Lately the cramps and diarrhia have been at least twice a week and have happened at work. The pain is very extreem with sweating and vomiting. My stools are black and watery after the first movement. I am glad to find your blog I thought I was going crazy. The attacts are not like regular diarrhia that come from stress and food but very extreem and painful.
I have had a similar condition for the past 8 years. I abused alcohol (a 6 pack a day) smoked a pack a day and ate very spicy foods. Then I had a near fainting experience and was driven to the doctor, who suggested to take some blood samples... which turned all ok. I stopped smoking after that, but I ended in the hospital a couple of days later; my stomach was killing me, every time I breathe I felt like I was going to faint, horrible. In the hospital they told me everything was fine with me and that all was in my head. Felt like trash for the next couple of years until I found this doctor who told me I had Neurocardiogenic Syncope. He gave me visken, nexium and rivotril. I quit drinking and eating spicy foods at this time. I felt good for a couple of weeks. Went to the hospital several times. Had some tests done. Positive for syncope once. Negative another time. Doctor decided it was all in my head and proceeded to gave me antidepressants... worst thing ever! Fast forward to 2008 and I went to a neurologist who told me everything was fine with my head, suggested me to take lighter antidepressants (which I totally skipped).
And now I feel like trash everyday. As I am typing this, my stomach burns, I have anxiety, and I feel like fainting... just like I felt yesterday and the day before that.
Help.
Hi there, I have suffered from this for 10 odd years,(don't know why but it normally happens at nightime) same symptoms as most of you, profuse sweating, fainting, odd painful stomach  feelings,ringing in my ears,,,followed by diarreah mostly. Anyway to cut a long story short, I thought I'd post what helps me through these bouts after trying everything else!!! in the hope it can assist anyone else with this darn problem.
Firstly as soon as I feel inklings of it coming on (I don't always, sometimes it's so quick) I reach out for the Gaviscon., this seems to calm my gut down immensley, then I try excercises  specifically for trapped wind ect, (lay on your back and pretend to ride a bike, ect )There are a lot of these excersises on the internet. Another is to move your hand in a circular kind of motion (like a massage) around your stomach area..Also, must be mentioned a hot water bottle on the back.......my main reasons for  doing this are to relax my stomach ect and try to pass wind,and burp to ease the pain. Also a hot bath helps, but be careful if you think you may faint.....My bouts seem to be brought on by a number of things,...eating foods such as onions, coleslaw ect, or not eating all day and rushing a meal. or being stressed,gassy drinks don't help either.. Hope this helps in some way, it's got to be worth a try,  Thanks
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me recently...and I literally thought I was dying. I was like...this is it?? This is how it ends??? When I felt like I was about to pass out and drenched in sweat with unbearable cramps, I thought I needed an ambulance. After fighting with all my might to stay conscious (so that I wouldn't be left to die) I managed to call my boyfriend and have him take me to the hospital. It was a very random and sudden event and I had no idea what caused it. I had been drinking the night before though, and I don't think I had eaten much yet that day. The stomach cramps got worse until I had extreme liquid diarrhea at the hospital. After this event, I went to several doctors to try to figure out what had happened, and one concluded that I must have just had some virus, and another found nothing wrong after numerous tests. However, I do have pretty frequent stomach aches for no apparent reason, and they seem to happen most when I am stressed or anxious, so now I am considering the possibility that it could have been an anxiety attack. Does everyone else who has gotten this attack have at least some anxiety, or just some stress that preceded it? I have read that anxiety attacks can include all of these symptoms and that they can be purely physical with no real cause for the anxiety, or no conscious awareness of having anxiety. I know that anxiety-inducing situations can cause me to get stomach aches, even if I don't FEEL anxious, so let me know if you think this could be a possibility.
Wow I thought I was the odd one that this sort of thing happened to.  I was crusing forums to see if anyone had anything related to what I'm experiencing now with my stomach (nausea and diarrhea for the past two weeks) But there have been a few rare occasions over the past few years were early in the morning I feel like I’m going to have diarrhea and have to sit for a few minutes before it actually comes out, mostly liquid, and then upon rising I almost (and sometimes do) pass out.  It really scares me!  Only once after this happened I got chills and I’m assuming a fever (I didn’t check) and I was running to the bathroom every few minutes.   That was when I was in the airport getting really to go on vacation so the REALLY sucked.  I’m almost happy I found this forum because it’s probably something else I should tell the GI that I didn’t think about when I go in for this current problem.  

And I really cant tell if its anxiety related or not, but I am an anxious person... it just dosen't seem to like up with when I am anxious though...
Hi there. It sounds like I have the same thing you do.  I can go a week without any bowel movements. I was in my psychology class today and I could feel it was going to happen.  I got extremely sweaty and weak.  I couldn't even get out of my chair to walk out.  I felt as if I would collapse.  I then got a very cold sweat.  Its almost like when I'm going through this, I cant hear whats going on around me.  I zone out. When I got back to fully concious I could feel all the sweat on me.  Throughout my whole body.  It happened about 2 hours ago and I still feel like ****.  I am only 17 years old and I have had this happen to me about 7 times already.  I've fainted about 5/7 times and came very close the other two times.  The first time this happened to me was when I was in 5th grade.  Doctors can not figure out what is wrong with me!
For me it's definitely related to not having a bowel movement that often so Ive been taking senokot every couple of days and it seems to be working. The doctor did say it properly isn't the best thing to use but its worked for 5 wks so i'm gonna continue use it. I still get slight stomach ache and feel a bit odd when i have a bowl movement but nothing like before.
Wow, at your age, wouldnt think you would have to go through that....But that is exactly the symptons with that zoning out thing i forgot about...I have not had another since but I am an old fart, 46, compared to you..Hopefully, you have gone to the doctor..Let me know
I sure hope that medication works for you but I go to bed every night still afraid to go BM until I really have to..Terrible.and sometimes I get that weird feeling that I can at least shake off....havent had an episode since and had a bunch of heart tests, EP heart test,etc..... so far so good...Hoping you will not have any more problems....Sorry havent written. among this ****...Im having financial issues that are causing more STRESS....Good Luck and take care!!!
Eugene
My usual: severe lower abdominal pain. Feels like someone stabbing me. Worse than bad pms. Then I feel weak. I go to the toilet. Explosive diarrhea and sweating and weakness and faint feeling (some times I do faint or lean on something to keep me from falling over). Then after it's over I get very cold. I still feel a little weak but I feel much better. I drink lots of fluids and am a pretty healthy 25. I don't believe it's all separate diagnoses. Like the vaso vagal and then another one for the diarrhea and another one for the sweating etc. I've been told a million different things but none that would accounts for the entire episode of symptoms. If we are all experiencing all of these symptoms then it's something completely different. Doctors are just guessing. They just want to slap some pills in your hand and send you off. I even was tested for a thyroid problem. Someone needs to get this figured out. I can't function. I'm worried all the time that it's going to happen in public. It happens several times a week for me. I'm starting a journal of what I eat and when these episodes happen and all the symptoms. Let's all do that and see if there's a common thread. At least then we see if it's a food allergy.
wow. this JUST happened to me.... everthing except for the fainting.... though i felt like i was about to... actually, my body started to fall forward, but i have a dresser directly in front of my toilet, and i grab it with my hands and just let my body hang over for a bit.... then had the strenght pull myself up... and though i did not vomit... cold built up in my throat... which felt VERY unusual... and warm... this was about 15 minutes ago...

it was pretty scary, which is why before i went back to sleep, i had to check on the net and make sure it was nothing TOO serious where i possibly would not wake back up... (i was initially sleeping when i felt some form of an unusual contraction... like i needed to go to the rest room immediately... then came the hard stool, which took concentration to release... thought i was finished... had to come back, then had the VERY liquid diarreah, along with the horrible stomach ache, the weakness feeling, and some strange ear paralysis ringing or something...)

i'm heading back to sleep now... hope that it is all over... i'll make sure to drink plenty of fluids tomorrow...
Had similar attack this Monday, OCt 13, 2008. Went to bathroom at 11 am to have bm - which was normal, then EXPLOSIVE diarrhea, explosive vomiting - grabbed trash can just in time, profuse sweating - even hair (and its kinda long) was dripping. Fell to bathroom floor to get face on cool tiles. Finally crawled to hallway to turn on a/c and crawled back to bathroon and passed out - again Explosive diarrhea all over floor, walls, etc. Massive chest pains & difficulty breathing. Thought my husband was going to come home from work at 5:30 pm & find me dead in a pile of **** and vomit from a heart attack. Laid on floor with towel for about 2-3 hrs - then crawled to bedroom and dialed my husband and said thought I was having heart attach & call 911 then I called my neighbor (don't know why). I then had to get to kitchen (seemed miles away) to push garage door open for ambulance and passed out in dining room afterwards (again in a pile of diarrhear) where firefighters found me. Had explosive diarrhea in ER for hours and passed out about 4-5 times, BP was about 50/20. Stayed in hospital for 3 days - thought going to die at first - theye ven stuck a tube up my rear to "catch" further diarrhea. AWFUL!!!  Said it was a viral thing going around. I sure don't want to be here if it comes around again........they even had to give me morphine several times because of the abdominal pain. I am 61 & NEVER had anything like this.
I am sooooo glad to hear i am not the only one. Been in tears today. I've had this problem now since i was 18 sometimes it can occur 3x a months and sometimes 3x a year there is no consistency. the only thing i am sure of is that it is somehow caused by food. I have a reasonably healthy diet which has cut down the attacks. However i have kept a food diary on advice from the doctor and cannot find a common food cause it's sooo unpredictable and embarrasing. Today 15 min after my lunch break i knew it had started. The pain begins severe stomach cramps which come and then go come again and then go ever incraesing in pain until i am literally rolling around on the floor. The pain then reaches boiling point when i have to make a run for the bathroom (not ideal considering i am a teacher and this means having to grab someone to cover me IMMEDIATELY) once in the bathroom i have the most outrageous sweats i normally have to strip off as i get soaking wet again not great when in your place of work. I open a window but continue to burn up the pain increases and is now unbearable which is when i start to feel like i'm going to throw up before getting pins and needles in my hands and feet, colour drains from my face and then i pass out. Once concious again if i make it i get on the toilet to face diarrhea which is excruciating and feels like my insides are burning, then it feels like its all over and i clean up but oh no five mins later it's back less severe than before but still soooooooo painful this can happen four or five times each time lessening in pain until their is nothing left and i am exhausted. After this all i can do is sleep and although now hungry my stomach feels so tender eating is definately off the agenda for the next day or two OUCH. I don't know how much more i can take the doctor keeps fobbing me off but seriously you feel like your gonna die sometimes once my boyfriend phoned an ambulance but as it all happens so quickly the only thing left to see by the time i arrived was diarrhea that was a great experience. The fact that you cannot control or stop it is the worst i've been given tablets but it happens so fast it's too late and any tablets i take don't act fast enough and as if being at work when this happens is not bad enough what's awful as well is if your out or at someones house i have to make a mad rush for it or just deal with severe humiliation the worst was when trying to get home quickly and with noone i knew living close by and once the cramps set in i had no control and soiled myself in the car for god sake i'm 25 years old HELP
I sure wish someone would have an answer for this. I have looked up all the suggested causes in this thread and none seem to fit.

Sudden onset of:

lower gut pain
dizziness/lightheaded
profuse sweating
clammy feeling
chills
fainting
diarrhea (not always)
when diarrhea, it is accompanied by severe lower gut pain/cramping
shortness of breath
severe weakness and shaking
Like Jezah and many of you i was suffering the exact same symptoms :

lower gut pain
dizziness/lightheaded
profuse sweating
clammy feeling
chills
shortness of breath
severe weakness and shaking
very pale and white as a ghost
fainting

Age : 36

With this i have fainted on too many occasions to count now. From which i have suffered massive lumps on my head, many broken teeth , cut and badly bruised face.
Had my driving licence withdrawn and been unable to work for 18 months.

On 6 occasions i have awoken to find myself in the accident and emergency department of the local hospital, and another 2 times my mother has phoned the ambulance who by the time they arrive check my heart and blood pressure and by that time everything has calmed down to a bearable state and cant find anything major wrong with me.

The most annoying thing about this is that on 4 occasions, the doctor or paramedics
have asked me if i have been taking drugs or alcohol to induce this. And with the way they are asking these questions its very clear that they really don't believe what i'm telling them.

I have had an intolerance of alcohol my whole life and even as little as 3 beers, would have me being violently sick for 2 days (no joke). Any spirits would give me an instant burning sensation in my stomach and cause me to be violently sick too. And i was certainly not taking any drugs to cause this to happen (only drugs the doctor has prescribed and as directed).

At birth i had a operation on my stomach that would actually allow food to enter it, as anything i eat was just brought back up(think this may have been called an abdominal adhesion, and had also had my appendix removed at about age 6. And to make matters worse from birth to the age of 13 i also suffered fits.

I went from being quite healthy and taking no prescription medication to being very ill and taking 5 different forms of medication in a short period of time. My doctor prescribed me lamotrigine as they believed the fainting was a return of the fits i took when i was younger, which had no effect so they changed that to epilim which again has never stopped me passing out. In addition to this for the stomach pains i have been prescribed lansoprazole in the belief i may have a stomach ulcer thats been with me my whole life as i have always had stomach discomfort, and buscopan to relieve the pain of the cramps. And Maalox suspension for the build up of stomach acid.  

All of these meds have been useless as they have offered me no relief in any shape or form.

With me these episodes started with pain in my stomach and was quickly followed by a light-headedness/sinking/passing out feeling and most worryingly a pain in my chest/back and a racing heart , which eventually lead to me passing out and hitting the floor. 18 months ago this only happened maybe 2 times per month, but in the past 2 weeks this has happened on a daily basis.

Now to the good part of the story that will hopefully make this worth reading for people :) and may seem unbelievable !!!.

Out of sheer desperation 2 days ago when i felt the stomach cramps coming on and knew what was coming. I made myself 2 glasses of Jaaps health salts and drank them. This remarkably stopped me from reaching the point where i was starting to get the sinking/about to faint stage, and after about 20 minutes relieved me of about 50% of the cramp pains. And within 1-2 hours the pains had nearly disappeared completely.

And again today i felt the cramps coming on again, and again drank 2 glasses and low and behold it stopped it from progressing from anything worse than really bad cramp pains for about 1 hour.

This isn't a cure for the cause of what's making all this happen, but my belief is that i have some sort of internal blockage again that causes the cramps, and because of the fizzyness of the japps that its forcing the food past this blockage and relieving me of the terrible pain and stopping me from fainting and smashing my head and face to pieces.

I really hope this can bring relief to people suffering as i know how bad these episodes make you feel, not only physically but mentally. When your doctor and no one else can give you answers,  and it takes away your ability to work and drive and live a normal life it can really bring you down to a point where you feel life isnt worth living any more. Not to mention that most doctors believe that you are either an alcoholic or drug addict and are causing these problems yourself.

I hope in a few days i can check back here and see that some people have managed to find my (by luck/chance) remedy has helped them too.

I ust had this experience last night.  I get them a couple times a year.  Still trying to conclude what the connection is.  Start feeling very light headed, the spins, knowing i must lay down put my head below my heart and make it ot the bathroom floor, or cold linoleum,  ear ringing, stomach cramps, passing bad gas, then start sweating profusely.  completey drenched.  I do breathing to keep me calm.  I will either vomit or take a bowl movement, sometimes both at the sametime. it passes soon after that.  Once i know i can get on the toilet, i am coming out of it.  Once dr told me it was low iron. I have had extreme stress at these times and usually have had 1 beer.  The bowel movment is usually large.  I dont experience constipation really.  I hae a bm on  regular basis.  But i do feel it moving thru my intestines.  
It does seem like there is a block of some kind maybe causing pressure on something that causes the fainting.
It is very scary when you are by yourself. Some have asked me recently about diabetes.  Glad to hear others have experience some of the same symptoms.  They come on with no real warning. There isnt really much anyone can do to help you.  I usually get a real cold wash cloth and the heat from my body ***** up the water in the cloth.  I do feel very dehyrated afterwards.
I know i need to go to the dr and just have things checked out.  I have a thyroid condition, a full hysterectomy, horomone imbalance, stress in all forms.  
I did do a aura cleansing and healing that day.  Wonder if the change of energies and the release of a bunch of stuff contributed in anyway.
Just glad to know i am not the only one having these kinds of spells. I am going to have my blood sugars checked keep you all in formed.
Lisa Hanson
I've had this too, and am glad to know I'm not alone. I am lactose intolerant, and learning this has sure cut down on "incidents".

Here's a tip for those who faint:

Put a chair in front of the toilet, facing the toilet, and place two pillows on top. This way, you can sit on the toilet, lean forward on the pillows, and just rest from the exhaustion and pain. If you have diarrhea, you're already on the toilet. If you faint, you're already "lying" down. I figured this out after fainting into the bathtub too many times, hitting my head on the porcelain.

Also - get someone to fetch you a large glass of water and drink as much as you can before passing out - you need to stay hydrated!
I have had these symptoms two to ten times a year for at least 10 years.  I have just started passing out from them.  I have had two in the last six weeks.  I can't tell if the passing out is from pain, but I have also started getting totally delerious.  I lose control of my legs, they either get so weak that they don't work, or I am just so out of it, but nevertheless, my legs will not really work right.  I usually pass out trying to get back to my bedroom where I keep Phenagren by my bed just in case an episode happens.  I hoard these from family stomach viruses.  No doctor has prescribed them for me on my description of my symptoms.  Only a "call me" if it happens again.  These episodes happen at night and if I don't have Phenagren to take, it would last for days. Drs. have also said what they thought it was (whatever that was) would not be helped by Phenagren.  When I figured out a peanut allergy, the episodes were cut in half.  You have to not only cut out the obvious, by many restaurants use it to fry their food in.  The episodes seem to be linked to food.  I first noticed that it would happen on vacation, or after a rich meal.  My last one seemed to be linked to cookie dough.  Things I have considered besides another food allergy is some sort of sugar imbalance, lactose intolerance.  I also have asthma and have looked into auto immune.  When I  look back to my early 20's, I would have episodes, but they seemed to be linked to stress. I am definitely going to crawl back to bed from now on, because the bangs to the head are bad, but if I knock a tooth out, like somebody mentioned -- Can you imagine, wake up from the pain and delerium with a missing tooth?  I am 40.  Very in tune with my body, exercise and take vitamins and I am otherwise healthy, but I am starting to worry about the severity of the episodes.  
I have the same symptoms as most of you, But i also have the feeling of severe stinging mostly from my thighs down but some all over ears lips & if i scratch it it breaks out into welts. Just wondering if any of you have these symptoms also.
I am a clinical pharmacist and I still have not found a physician who will give me a definite diagnosis for this condition.  My first symptom is that of acute diarrhea.  I rush to the bathroom / latrine / restroom / toilet.  At some point during the diarrhea process I have an "aura" (what epileptics describe as a feeling of impending doom: they know a seizure is coming on.)  This is usually a feeling of lightheadedness and a drop in blood pressure.  I can usually avoid the seizure by putting my head between my legs to get more blood to my brain.  I have read that others have had a diagnosis of GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) related to these events.  I have been diagnosed with both in the past.  I am sure that this is vasovagal fainting associated with valsalva.  Since I do an aura each time, I have thought that I must have had a seizure while passed-out.  This has never been confirmed.  My wife witnessed me passing out while on the toilet once.  She said I did not have a seizure.  She is a registered nurse, so I believe her.  This first occurred about 17 years ago (I was about 24 years old) and has occurred about 1-3 times per year since then.  Dehydration could be a contributing factor since I do not drink enough water.
I work in the pharmaceuitcal industry and have been suffering with all of this for like 8 years. I have GAD, indigestion, and IBS. Unfortunetley they are all linked and can cause each other...In terms of the fainting, this has never happened to me, but I have felt on so many occasions like I am going to faint. I get dizzy, sweaty, have diarrhea, and or just severe gas. I have been to all sorts of doctors for colonoscopy's, endoscopy's, cat scan, etc and everything has ALWAYS come back normal.

The feeling of the "Aura" that you describe is not only prior to seizuring for epileptics, but also prior to panic attacks, which sounds like a more likely scenario...that you probably feel dizzy from the vasovagel fainting and panic which leads to a terrible terrible feeling of impending doom.

My doctors have insisted that none of this is life threatening to me and that I have to learn how to manage my diet and exercise routines in order to find relief...along with meds of course. But i would keep a diary of what triggers this to see if you can find patterns in food types etc.
Wow crazy how many people have this and we can't get a proper diagnosis. I just had my first episode last night.

Severe cramping, so i went to the restroom and started feeling weird, ringing in ears, fainted. Struggled to get up and went to lay down. When the cramping got worse went back to bathroom, nearly fainted again had to put head down. Diarrhea which made it better enough to have even more diarrhea untill i was ok. Sweating throughout the whole ordeal too. Thought i was going to die.

Also in common with many of the reports here i was dehydrated from having only been drinking beers for the last 10 hours prior or so, no i was not drunk but i know doctors will blame it on that so i didn't even bother going.

The greesy food is common as well. I ate a good deal of cheapo bbq potato chips that i've never eaten before. I think my body needed to get rid of them as fast as it could. I'm not sure but they may contain an msg.
(2008) I am 24 years old now and I had this happen about 2 or 3 times.....  It started out as having sharp stomach cramps like your gonna have a bad diarrhea and it hurt so bad. It felt like i had to take it out so i went and sat on the toilet....While trying to take it out i started sweating a lot, started feeling lightheaded, dizzy, and then it felt like my eye rolled back and i blacked out and fainted while i was on the toilet.....i felt my head hit the tub.....i don't know how long i was unconscious but when i woke up, i was butt naked on the bathroom floor and i was scared...i had no idea what caused this and what it was......I hope it never happens to me while i'm driving!!!!  I wish i could know what cause this to happen or get a diagnoses for this....  I use to drink very little liquids but i try to drink more now......but i still don't think i drink the recommended amount of 8 glasses....I also have HYPOTHYROIDISM and borderline DIABETES....
I just watched a show that talked about this very same set of symptoms.  The lady had something called Hereditary Angioedema.  It is something to do with a certain type of protein issue.  Doctors and determine whether this is what you have by doing blood tests.  Sometimes swelling can occur also in different areas of the body and if swelling occurs in the throat it can become fatal. I would suggest getting tested. It is a rate condition and is hereditary.  So this may not be what is affecting everyone on this site, but you should get looked at if you have been dealing with something severe.  Best of luck... I get most of these symptoms every month with my period but it only occurs on the first day and can be controlled with pain medication... so I am sure that I do not have this.
People!

I posted a pretty clear explanation as to what's happening for most of you nearly a year ago - check out my post in this thread from January 30.. You are (or should be) relieved to know that this is a simple vasovagal reaction. As a doctor, I find that people are often disappointed to discover that they have something simple and common! Imagine that!

At any rate, here it is (again):

1. Vasovagal reactions occur when you stimulate the vagus nerve (vagus comes from the Latin "to wander") - a big nerve that "wanders" all over your body.Vasovagal reactions are the most common cause of fainting.

2.  There's several ways to induce a vasovagal reaction, and having a bowel movement accomplishes 2 of them!

3. First, any kind of stomach upset can cause it, because the digestive tract is ennervated by the vagus nerve (hence it is also called the pneumoGASTRIC nerve).

4. Second, holding one's breath and bearing down (like we do when we pass a poop, especially a hard one) is called a valsalva maneouver, and this stimulates the vagus nerve BIG TIME. Some people pass out (or nearly) every time they poop. Bummer!

5.  So, your gastrointestinal upset +/- holding one's breath and bearing down are both adequate to stimulate the vagus nerve which causes an immediate drop in blood pressure and heart rate.

6.  The result? A drop in blood supply everywhere - including the brain - which causes a sudden loss of consciousness. Once our head is lower down (eg. on the bathroom floor!) it's easier for blood to get there thanks to gravity, and we regain consciousness.

7.  As for the diarrhea and cramps, lots of people have some combination of constipation and diarrhea - they strain to pass a hard stool, and then have diarrhea a short time later. When you're constipated, you often suffer the trademark excruciating cramps in an attempt to "move things along."

8.  Then, once the "obstacle" has passed, you'll have a bout of diarrhea which results from the colon secreting fluid in an attempt to soften and pass the "obstruction." But it's the straining part that usually causing the lightheadedness or actual fainting.

9.  Interestingly, fear can also stimulate the vagus nerve, as can pain. Hence, people who pass out when having blood taken.

Again, this explanation should hopefully help people rest easier and make this "mystery" bouts less mysterious!

jr
Just had this happen last night. Was the 2nd time in 3 years. The first time was just after I ate baby carrots with veggie dip. Last night I had just ate a bag of Sun Chips, Garden Salsa flavor. Haven't passed out, but darn close to it. I also take Lipitor, Plavix, Toprol & Altace for my heart. Anybody see a common denominator?
Wow!  I was amazed at the scenarios here.  I could have written half of them.  I had my last episode 4 days ago & finally today I am feeling normal.  It was a bad session.  I usually feel better after the following day.  I am female, 51 years old & had my first attack when I was 5 & have had probably 150 episodes since.  I was 8 & coming in from the playground at recess when I fainted & peed my pants (the first time).  From 5 to 13 fainting happened every year or so.  My parents were concerned, took me to see many doctors & were told it was probably the side effects from a concussion I had when I was 5 & I would grow out of it.  From 13 to 18, (puberty) the episodes increased to about twice a year.  Doctors said it was because I was teenage & female & didn’t eat breakfast regularly.  From 18 to 21, I was having them weekly & some weeks 2 or 3 times.  Going to the doctor was a waste of time.  When I finally found a doctor that took me seriously, he took me off birth control pills & almost immediately I was better, for about 2 years.  I’ve had the same doctor now for the last 30 years or so.  This still happens anywhere from 3-4 times a year to 2 years between episodes.  I don’t always go to the doctor when it happens because I know he can’t do anything about it, but when I’m in for my yearly, he always checks it out.  Since I turned 40 I had an episode again that caused me to pee myself.  It had been 35 years.  I’ve also had episodes that have caused me to orgasm, to vomit & many that have been connected to diarrhea.  I could share gory details, but you all have your own.  I have not found a definitive connection from one episode to the next, but I know they are all connected & there are some obvious triggers…pre menstrual, cold or flu, diarrhea, msg, dehydration, over-indulgence (food, alcohol etc), stress, lack of sleep, heat, arrhythmia & more.  I have had many, many tests & seen cardiologists, neurologists, & internists.  Some have been interested, some have flat our wished me luck because the have no clue & don’t take me seriously.  I’ve had EEG’s, ECG’s & EKG’s.  All negative.  It’s been discovered that I have a mitral valve prolapse & some heart arrhythmia.  I’ve been tested & for epilepsy, & brain tumors.  Fortunately negative.  I’ve had ‘tilt table’ tests to test for vaso-vagal reactions & these are also negative.  I am not allergic to foods of any kind but I am sensitive to green peppers.  I have had the ‘chinese food syndrome’ & reacted to msg & had an episode, but eaten the same thing at the same restaurant a few weeks later with no reaction or sometimes just the diarrhea, but not the rest of it.  I’ve had an episode after having too much to drink or when I know I’m under stress, but most often I’ve not.  In more cases than not it’s the episodes that have caused anxiety reactions rather than the other way around.  2 of my brothers & my 2 sons (in their 20’s) have had more than one episode, but less than five.  Other than these episodes I am fit & healthy.  I’ve had the same employer for 20 years & only about 10 of 80 coworkers have any clue that there is anything wrong with me.  I always make sure to let my (new) boss know what my medical history is like.  I’m lucky enough to have a semi private office & if I feel an episode coming on I can often counteract it by lying on my office floor until the feeling passes.  The best medical advice I ever got was from a very young neurologist after my worst episode ever.  I was 42 years old.  I was flying home from Toronto to Vancouver & about 2 hours into my flight I passed out in my seat, peed myself & was unable to lie down for about another 4 hours.  Air Canada staff were horrible in this situation & I am very thankful for the compassion I received from the poor 18 year old student that was my seatmate & savior for the rest of the flight.  I agreed to see many specialists after that episode because the side effects were very long lasting (3 months or more).  
The neurologist explained that because I was unable to lie down, my brain received much more trauma than it normally would because of the lengthy lack of blood flow.  Anyhow, the neurologist was very frank with me, seemed to understand what I was going through.  He asked me ‘Do you feel it coming on?’  Yes.  Then told me flat out ‘You know it’s coming, you sometimes can prevent it by lying down, so lie down.  I know it’s embarrassing, but what’s more embarrassing?  Lying down in the shopping mall or passing out cold, breaking your nose (again) or soiling yourself?  Do yourself a favor & pay attention to the signals your body gives you.’  
I don’t believe there is a cure.  At best all the symptoms will be lumped together & become know as a syndrome.  There isn’t a magic pill or cure all.  For myself I know there are triggers & I can relate it to electricity.  If I have a few triggers occur at the same time my central nervous system has a brown out.  Those are the times I experience periods of dizziness.  Add another trigger or two & I pass out…more triggers & my central nervous system totally shorts itself out.  I don’t look forward to menopause as I’m afraid this may add even more triggers & consequently more episodes.  From the online research I’ve done there are many diseases/syndromes out there that share many of the symptoms we recognize.  Some of the more interesting ones that may fit your scenario better than mine & you may find helpful are IBS, Abdominal Epilepsy, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Autonomic Dysfunction, Dysautonomia, Vaso-vagal, Dehydration & any of the dozen other syndromes that are mentioned previously in this thread.  The most important thing is to pay attention to your body & its signals, recognize your own triggers, live as active & normal life as possible & lie down if you feel it coming on.
Hi Everyone,

I am so glad to have just found this site because I have been experiencing the same effects and couldn't figure out if I had: Vasovagal episodes OR IBS OR Pre-Diabetes OR Lactose intolerance.

6 years ago I fainted when I dropped a heavy lamp on my toe and was told that was a vaso vagal episode due to the extreme pain. My husband caught me and said I had a small seizure.

This summer I had extreme food poisoning, vomited, had nausea, diarrhrea, turned white as a ghost, was clammy and fainted on the way back to bed. My husband called an ambulance and the ER did many tests and declared that I had a vasovagal syncope episode due to the food poisoning.

Two weeks ago I had the same symptoms/fainting after a rich meal with red meat and three glasses of red wine.

This weekend I had two beers and a rich pasta meal and had diarrhea within 1 hour of eating.

So, I think I have a very sensitive vaso vagal nerve that is triggered to some sort of intestinal upset/pain which is triggered by rich food and alcohol. (perhaps) I am 42 and this is all quite new to me. I am not sure how to adjust my life, but I am hyper aware of how my stomach feels these days. I have decided to avoid alcohol, caffeine, chocolate and rich foods for a while  and drink lots of water to see if it gets better.

I really feel for us all. It does seem amazing that so many of us have had such similar symptoms but that the medical field have no advice besides avoiding the triggers...

I found this site in desperation after having these episodes for many years.  December 23, 08 I went to the ER with a severe episode after I took out two stair rails with my head and was out for 2 minutes, had severe diarrhea and was very slow to respond.  This horrible feeling will wake me up and I either vomit, have diarrhea or both. I sweat can't hear and feel as if I will die. I have worn a heart monitor, heart catherization, ultrasounds, colonoscopy, cat scans told I was pushing too hard, the flu, drop in BP , panic attacks....My doctor this time listened as I laid out every crazy symptom and when I said I had recently wet the bed. He asked me if I had ever had an eeg. He had me take one and It confirmed temperol lobe seizures. I am on medication now hopefully it will work, but I just was glad someone listened. These horrible reactions can be autonomic symptoms of seizures, not the ones most people think of, but just wanted to let others know.
I am really surprised to see so many people with the same problems. I am 32 years old and since I was pregnant with my son 9 years ago, I have gotten these attacks. Over the years, it has progressed from severe stomach pains. I was overweight and ate alot of fast food and I would have these attacks in the middle of the night and after I went back to sleep I was ok the next day. I have lost 85 pounds by eating much healthier and rarely have any gastro issues anymore. Last night (and one other time in November) have been the award winners of these attacks. I ate pizza last night (I eat healthy but I'm not a fanatic about it) around 9pm, went to bed around 12 and woke up at 4:30am with my stomach hurting. I knew I was going to be up for a while. I went to the bathroom and it usually takes a while, i just sit and hold my stomach until I start to have a normal bowel movement. This takes about 15 mins, then within the next 15 mins the stool gets softer and softer until it is just watery. meanwhile, the cramps are terrible (I think I would rather be in labor) During all of this, I started to profusely sweat from everywhere. I thought I might slide off the toilet. Now my bedroom is in the basement of our house and it is very cold in our room. I felt very weak, felt like I might pass out, my heart was pounding very fast and I could hear my heart beat in my ears. I had my husband open the garage door which is right by the bathroom door to let the 10 degree cold air rush in and he put a wet cold rag on me. He had to hold it there, I was so weak. I was very scared, I almost had him call 911. He had to put on sweat pants and a winter coat and I was sweating. As the watery diarreha continued, I finally started to calm down, my heart slowed down, my breathing was better, the sweats stopped. Then I started freezing, I changed my clothes and got in bed with 4 comforter blankets and and electric blanket and was shivering. Then I felt like I had heart burn/indigestion. Pain or pressure right under my sternum, I took like 4 tums, curled up in a fetal position and tried to sleep. I was in the bathroom dealing with all of this for about and hour. I did get some sleep but today I still feel drained. I still have slight pain/pressure below my sternum but its bearable right now. I just ate toast and so far so good. I am a smoker and I tried to have one a few hours ago and it intensified the slight pain I was having so I stopped. All of this because of pizza I ate?? I eat pizza pretty regularly and I don't usually have problems. Every now and then I will eat a fried appetizer or chicken nuggets and no problems. I really feel it is diet because like I said I used to have these attacks (not as severe as this) a few times a week and once I started eating right and losing weight they pretty much stopped. Last night was a clear reminder of why I changed my habits. I just wish I knew for sure what was going on and why it happens.
See Jr's response on 1/16/09.  This seems to be the best explanation for what is happening to us - and talk to your own doctor about it.
I have this same problem and can't believe what i am reading, to say the least, misery does love company.
All of my symptoms are like yours, except at the end of my ordeal i can feel numbness start to creep in on my hands, then its almost like i am having a stroke, they are so numb they actually freeze up on me and i can't pry them open,,,i'm not stroking out as my speech is fine,,,
I find that i have to massage my arms and shake them around to get the feeling back into my hands..
I use to get these attacks once or twice a year, now it seems like every 4-5 weeks , sometimes not as bad as other times...
I have been under stress, father having cancer, but still, i can be fine one minute and as soon as i eat something my stomach decides it doesn't like, the gas pains start and then its a good 30 minutes of pure hell...
Very happy i found this site, someone or something has got to help us
Thanks everyone , i now see i'm not alone....
It may be a vasovagal syncope that causes the fainting after experiencing so much pain, as jr pointed out (1/16).  But the extreme constipation followed by diarrhea seems to be the initial cause of that, and I would like to know what causes it.  It really feels like some kind of attack, rather than just ordinary constipation.   I only had it happen once, but I was screaming so much in pain that I woke up at least 10 people in my dorm.  I get constipated regularly but it is nothing like what happened that night.
This is incredible that so many people have this... syndrome.  I have had these episodes for 20 years... my most recent was the most scary and painful.  I can't find triggers. (or doctors with answers or the desire to look) Thank goodness I have a witness to me having these episodes and found this website or I may not believe it myself.  It wasn't the alcohol when I was 12... etc.    Just curious, do any of you have anxiety or consider yourself an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) ?
D
i also sometimes get numbness of my toes, hands and tongue and find it difficult to speak, this is a more recent thing and tends to happen when i don't pass out.
To those of you who fainted.  Had you recently been lying down or in bed? Because I read something about the blood flow to the feet can affect this also.

I've had this down the years but never fainted until I cracked my head open this morning.  I felt the usual dizzyness but then suddenly woke up on the floor confused as to how I got there.  When I looked in the mirror it was only then that I noticed the bump on my head and a my nose began to bleed.  I have no idea how long I was out for
I've had a similar condition every since I hit puberty but I fainted for the first time two nights ago.  It always in the middle of the night, where I wake up feeling feverish with intense abdominal pain.  Rush to the bathroom and get so hot that I have to strip down.  I have had this happen enough times that I know to grab my fan and haul it to the bathroom with me.  The air circulation/cold air helps the feeling of faintness.  

Well, the fan did not work the other night.  I stopped being able to feel it and the last thing I remember was that I was feeling around for the fan's switch to turn it up higher but I couldn't see/find it.  Next thing I know, I'm on the floor next to the toliet with my head in the trash can and my knees tucked up underneath me.  I could hear the trash can rocking/knocking on something and I knew I was jerking around uncontrollably.  Slowly my hearing/feeling/eyesight came back although all I could see for a minute was a greenish ring with a black center floating in front of my eyes.  Not sure if I had opened my eyes yet or no?  I had never fainted before so this shook me up a bit, although I did feel better upon waking.  To my awareness I was only out for a few seconds/minutes.

When I made it back on the toliet had intense diarrhea.  My stomach has been extremely sensitive every since and I've been terrified of it happening again.  I do drink coffee regularly but no sodas.  I eat pretty healthy 24/F with no health problems.  I did have an ovarian cyst rupture about a year ago and the abdominal cramping/pain is in the same area now.  I'm not sure if it is more cysts or what.  Plan to see doctor and have ultrasound and hopefully find out what is happening.  I'm scared to tell them about the seizure-like faint because I don't want my license revoked!
I have read about 100 of the same "STORY" over and over and over on this forum. I think we can all agree that we all have something VERY SIMILAR. So enough of the stories. What is the problem? and what is the SOLUTION? I would say that it is NOT "NORMAL" to pass out, sweat to death, or have cramps so bad that you run to the emergency room. The DR. earlier said that this is just a VASOVAGEL reaction. OK fine, lets say I have a VASOVAGEL reaction...what internal ORGAN can I have REMOVED to stop this forever. What medicine can I take when I have an episode to stop it within SECONDS. Are there any videos on this. What Universities and research institutions are there that are looking into this to take care of the problem, so all the doctors can stop saying, "JUST DEAL WITH IT AND WATCH WHAT YOU EAT". I am sorry but that is not good enough for me. There must be some institution out there doing research on this, and if so I would love to have them study ME. Any thoughts or comments?
I have very similar symptoms but I have never actually passed out.  Other than that, this all sounds exactly the same as what happens with me.  I am diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse, IBS, GAD, and endometriosis.  Having researched all of these together, I keep seeing stuff come up about dysautonomia.  But it seems to me like no one really knows much about it.  No one knows what causes it or what to really do about it aside from treating the symptoms.  

In any event, I've found that what works for me is taking a xanax when the dizzy spells and lightheadedness start.  Usually after taking the xanax those symptoms diminish or go away altogether.  My PCP says that this indicates that those symptoms are definitely related to anxiety and not the actual sickness.  This makes me think that those symptoms are just kind of like a side effect of the fact that I'm in pain and nervous about what is happening to my body.  I also take levsin at the first sign of abdominal cramps which tends to help alleviate the pain.  I will still have diarreha but it isn't quite as violent, painful, and convulsive.  Also, my GI doc told me to take a probiotic supplement called Align.  She told me that while all probiotics are beneficial, there have been studies done specifically with Align that have had quite remarkable results.  I believe that the strain of bacteria in it is the most genetically pure.  It is an OTC but I have never been able to find it at the store.  I order it on drugstore.com.  I saw significant improvements after a few weeks of taking it.  Recently, I forgot about it after being away from work for a week and out of my routine so I stopped taking it.  Since then, my episodes have gotten far more frequent and severe again.  I am going to start taking it again this week to see if things improve again.  I am also mildly anemic and take a prescription iron supplement.  Sometimes I forget to take it and this also seems to make the dizzyness and lightheadness and MVP palps worse.  It's weird, but I definitely feel that all of my "conditions" are connected.  I just wish there was one med that I could take instead of the bunch of different ones that I have to take to just control the symptoms.

I hope some of this helps.  I know it's not necessarily the simple remedy that we'd all like, but if it means taking a pile of pills every day to not feel like this, I'll do it!!!
I have been experiencing these symptoms minus the diareah. I am in college and it started this fall. It has occured more commonly after or when I excercize (which I rarely do), a couple of times it has happened in the middle of the night. I will feel fine and then get sudden extremely painful stomach cramps, it feels like menstrual cramps but about 100 times worse, I am in so much pain and I start getting really hot, my face and body turns red and I start sweating like crazy. This last from a couple minutes to all day long. Only one time did I faint, this happened when I woke up in the middle of the night with these extreme stomach cramps, I went into the bathroom I was sweating like crazy and was standing at the sink trying to put cold water on my face, the next thing I knew I was laying on the floor. I don't know what the cause of this is, and I haven't found a way to make the pain go away during the cramps. I just lay there and hope it goes away. Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this is or if there is a name for it? Thankss
This just happened to me. It was so scary.

This morning, I woke up at 930a, went to class @ 10a, ate a bagel at 12p, drank water from time to time, and ate chili cheese fries at 5:30p. I came home, took a nap while working on my desk.

It was a pretty warm day so I had opened a window to allow ventilation.

All of a sudden, a sudden pain struck at my abdomen and I knew I had to go to the bathroom. I instantly thought of the chili fries. But I couldn't leave my position because both my feet were asleep (I slept while working at my desk). I froze in the position and waited while the pain kept increasing in my stomach.

When my feet were bearable, I limped to the bathroom and sat down to let it out, but all of a sudden, I felt like I wanted to throw up, which really scared me because I had a stomach flu years ago and I remembered I couldn't breathe while throwing up. And then along with wanting to throw up, I became really lightheaded and knew I was going to faint.

I hit my head and shook it to get myself out of it while the stomach pain and desire to throw up continued. I decide to sing or yell to vocally get myself out of it, but no avail, so I decide to lay down on the floor with my *** sticking up. LOL. After a few minutes, the pain subsides and I no longer want to throw up or faint.

I move to my bed and lay down in a normal position, but the stomach pains creep up again so I resume my *** to the sky position and massage the area between the index finger and the thumb (was told to do so when I had stomach aches). I start sweating, but not profusely. Just enough to notice it.

Stomach starts hurting again, so I hope for the best and move back to the bathroom. I hunch over so that my head level is lower than my back and let out the liquid stool.

Waited until that was done. Moved back to my desk and researched to see if this event was documented. Surprised to see a lot of similar cases. I truly hope this was a once in a lifetime case...

I've had a history of stomach problems, but usually I can avoid it if I avoid cheese, milk, and heavy food. But sometimes, I can adapt to it, like, the first time I ate chipotle, I had a major case of  diarrhea, but later on I was fine when I ate it,  just a minor case of gas due to beans.

I think what happened today for me was that my stomach was pretty empty when I ate the excess amount of melted cheese, bad meat, and oily fries. I always thought I had IBS so from previous research, I knew that instigators were always more powerful on an empty stomach.

This is just the first time I almost fainted while on the toilet. I imagine all the blood is rushing to my stomach which is working its *** off (no pun intended) to digest the crappy food, explaining my lightheadedness. And throwing up is pretty common in food poisoning.

I just ate a banana and took some asian medicine. It's been over thirty minutes since my episode, my stomach still feels like it wants to go, but nothing painful. I do feel weak and am angry that this had to happen on a Friday night. :( I have a lot of studying to do and I do not want to do it in the bathroom.

Wow!!  I was relieved to find this site.  I too have shared most of these symptoms.  My mom had IBS for as long as I can remember and then a few years ago while living with me I witnessed her completely passing out while using her potty on several different occasions. She turned white as a sheet.  Her eyes were set and down she would go.  I would run and grab her and she usually would immediately vomit. Then when she would hear me calling to her she would usually say huh?? And then wake right up.  It always scared the heck out of me though.
And now the last few years as I get older (I'm 49) I'm noticing myself having to RUN to the comode within mins of eating.  Usually things like peanuts or spicy foods.  This happens sometimes but not EVERY time I eat these foods.  Sometimes if my stomach gets those awful cramps I will feel a bit lightheaded and sometimes nauseated.  And have some mild sweating.  Well, last month I was at work, (I just happen to work in the ER) and I had eaten a fast food hamburger.  I noticed when I ate it didn't taste so great.  The lettuce seemed kind of slimy but I thought it was just the mayo and I was STARVING so nevertheless, I ate it.  (DUMB) About 2-3 hrs later I was sitting at my desk and I felt a familiar cramp in my stomach.  My stomach makes loud noises and you can just hear it growling trying to push all that mess around in there.  Suddenly I started feeling the flush feeling that I always get and my whole face was tingling.  I went to the restroom because I knew it was time....and while in there I looked in the mirror.  My face was blood red and my eyes were blood shot.  My lips were swelling as well as my tongue and I felt tingly.  My tongue and face was as numb as it could be. I felt very light headed and nauseated and was so afraid I was going to pass out and die in the bathroom before I could get out into the nurses station where everyone else was at.  I finally got myself together and went in and told our charge nurse.  She took one look at me and got me to a bed.  When I spoke to her I realized that my voice was very low and raspy.  I could hardly talk and felt that my throat might be trying to swell. My chest broke out with red splotches.  Then I started to cough.  They started an IV and pushed in a huge dose of benadryl and solu-medrol.   I started feeling better. Once I was able,  I had to keep getting up and going to the bathroom to have diarrhea.   So...the doc diagnosed me with an allergic reaction. Now, I wonder if  maybe I would have gotten better even without the benadryl had I just let the felling pass.   Anyway, today I had my second "spell".  Just before I started to get ready to go to work my husband made me a bowl of beans and cornbread.  While I was getting dressed I started to feel the lower abdominal cramping.  These cramps make me think of labor pains
because of the way the start out and get harder and harder.  When I sat down to have a BM it was explosive diarrhea.  I started to feel the tingling in my face and ears and tongue. I was leaning over on the wall because I was so weak. I could see in my bathroom mirror that I was very red.  Finally I took some deep breaths to get plenty of oxygen and decided to make my way to my bed.  I laid down for a few minutes and even though my throat once again felt funny and my voice was again low and raspy I just tried to relax in the fetal position and it seemed to ease up fairly quickly.  After resting for awhile I was okay.  I hate these attacks.  It is very scary. I had open heart surgery last April and had a hole repaired and they also replaced my pulmonary valve.  I don't eat as well as I should.  I work the night shift and it is hard not to snack on junk food.  I'm making a new start to eat better and drink more water...(not as much of the beer that I do enjoy on my off days) and get more exercise.  I'm glad to have found you all.  Have any of you experienced the redness (I think I did see that mentioned in a couple of the posts) and have you experience the swollen tongue, lips and throat?? Thats the scariest part to me...though I haven't actually passed out yet.  Now if that starts happening I will get upset.  I have never been a fainter.  
I would encourage everyone here to get one of the blood allergy test batteries (IgE IgG) to rule out food allergies.  Have many of the same symptoms described above and have discovered the root cause is food containing pepper or paprika spices.  My own experience has been that when the ingested food (containing the spices) reaches a certain point in my intestines, I have a reaction: profuse sweating, stomach cramps and on two occasions, loss of consciousness.  Once the offending substance has been purged from my body (diarrhea), everything is fine.  Another confirming piece of evidence for me is the fact that the diarrhea itself actually burns my skin on the way out.  It feels as if liquid pepper is being applied to my rear end...  I'm currently awaiting test results from the blood allergy testing which will confirm what I already know to be true.  Many people here have posted "spicy foods" as a common component of their diets.  Read up on allergy to pepper.  It's rare, but very real!
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday morning at 6:50 am.  Its never happend to me before and I hope never again!  Diarrhea first, every 10 minutes or so with a little bit of cramps.  That happend 2 or 3 times, but the last bout, it felt like all my nerves were on end.  Then suddenly my body went numb all over, I yelled for my husband to be by my side I was so scared.  I could barely hold myself up.  my hearing went first... it felt like i was leaving my body... I've never experienced death before, but that's what it felt like.  It wasn't painful at that point though.  Just very scary.  Then my sight started to leave.  Flash sweating, but not hot.  No pain at this point.  I got up off the toilet, have no idea how I did, I glanced in the wall mirror.. I was so scary pail it was unbelievable!  I fell at that point to the ground and my husband picked me up and layed me on the bed... I layed there motionless for about 8 minutes or so.  Then another bout of diarrhea.  But no dizzy at this point.. I got totally better after that.  But very weak.  The doctor said I had a viral infection.. not sure what, but are sending my blood off for testing.  
I agree with you on the need for some sort of study on this subject. This just happened to me for the first time a few days ago and I have to admit that finding this forum made me feel a little better, knowing that there are others experiencing the same thing. There seems to be a lot of advice in these postings, but it all seems a bit overwhelming. As I sit here with a sore cheek, from hitting the bathroom floor, I find myself wondering why I have never heard about this. It is probably because people are afraid to talk about it. I haven't told anyone yet, I don't want them to freak out. I plan on doing a whole lot more research on the subject.
Wow.. something similar happened to me this morning. It was the weirdest and scariest experience I've ever had. This was the first time I had this happen to me.
I woke up around 7a feeling like I needed to go to the bathroom...nothing major. I went and as I was sitting on the toilet nothing came out just alot of air...then a bit of diarrhea. Then all of a sudden I started to feel cramping in my lower abdominal area. I thought ok great..another upset stomach..watever! Then It started to get worse, it wasn't a sharp pain it was more like an extremely bad upset stomach. Then the pain started to radiate throughout my body.  I began sweating (not profusely but noticeably), I felt nauseous for a brief time but it went away. I just kept having the pains in the GI area and in my body. I felt like I was going to die..it was extremely painful. Although this was going on I didn't want anyone to find me over the toilet ...so I flushed and decided to stand up. I didn't feel light headed or anything just the sweating and stomach/ body pains. I rested my head on the towel rack and then I guess I blacked  out because I remember falling and not being able to stop myself... it was like my body was dead.
I woke up in the bath tub and at first very confused. I got up and the pains came back but milder and eventually I made it to the bed and then  they calmed down. I drank peppermint tea and it went away completely.
I'm glad I found this site, but I'm still puzzled about what happened this morning. I ate very late last night but that was not the first time I've done that...wow... well it sure will be the last!
I've just read through this thread and this all make a lot of sense...  I had my third episode two days ago.  My symptoms are the same as many other posters, but no fainting (I just feel like I am going to.)  I think this really is a combination of things...  I have GAD, IBS, had been constipated, ate a bunch of spicy food, pizza (lactose intolerant and likely allergic to peppers and MSG) had already been feeling sick (probably the flu or cold) and then woke up in the middle of the night with all these symptoms.  My dad has vasovagal syncope and so does my brother's wife so I am familiar with it and everything that comes along with the syndrome.  I'm definitely going to get my food allergies tested and avoid what I think are triggers for the time being.  Thanks for all the good advice everyone and good luck!  If anyone needs to vent, send me a note, I know how scary this can be, but I really think avoiding triggers and generally trying to be more healthy is the key.    
I am so thankful that I am not the only with this. I have been experience 1-5 times a year since I was 23 years old, I am now 39. Out the countless doctors I have seen, only the surgeon who removed my gall bladder actually took me seriously, but he said it wouldn't happen anymore after my gallbladder was removed. WRONGO. If my husband hadn't witnessed it, both he and many drs would have me convinced I was crazy.  I have only lost consciuos ness 2 times. IThe only way I can't keep from fainting is to turn on the shower lukewarm to cool and sit in it. Luckly I have a small bathroom with a walk-in shower less than 2 feet from the toilet. After not making it to the toilet a few times, I really work hard to get there. Even if I could speak or get to the phone, by the time anyone got there, it's over and they can find nothing wrong.

A few years ago I started a food journal. I am fairly certain it's nothing that I am eating.

Maybe if we start a support group or something to get someone in the medical field's attention, we could get help.

Thanks for listening.

Tammi
I feel a lot more relieved now that I know I'm not the only one suffering from this problem.I first felt ashamed to tell my family member's of what m goin thru, but wen I told my mum bout the problem I later found out that not only she suffer's the same problem its me,my mum and my brother too.
At the moment I cannot exactly say wether its in family but it seriously is scary as wen it happens I feel as if m in a different world ! because obviously when you pass out you jus dont realise where you are and the most strange thing I notticed when waking up after I pass out is during all that process of dizzyness and diarrhea I also throw cold water on my head to try and cool my body system down when I obviously cant take the pressure I find my self lying down on the toilet floor but during that time everythin happens all at once the liquidy diarrhea,fainting,sweating,getting out of breath and offcourse throwing freezing cold water on my head...sounds strange.... even I cant believe I do sumthing like that but it does happen. And most of all when ever this has happened it has ALWAYS happened in the middle of night.I can 100% say its not sumthin m allergic to as because if I eat that same food the very next day nothin will happen this is sumthin that happens to me atleast 4 times in a year.All I can say is I'd rather go through childbirth anyday than goin through this pain.
I have had several episodes so far in the past 15 years.  Right now, whenever I feels it is coming, I drank hot water immediately.  I haven't had an episodes ever since I did this.  I can't 100% sure if it is the hot water helped or I just simply haven't had my next episode yet(sometimes I don't have an episodes for two or three years).  But at least I believe it helps so I am sharing this with you all.  Hope it helps.
I have some tips for you guys. I have suffered from this for 30 years, and have found a few things that help out with the problem.

The real issue is vaso vagal syncope (passing out) or more importantly trying to avoid it. Pressure is your enemy, and one of the best way to deal with it is to use a good fiber supplement. I use Super Seed this tends to keeps things moving along smoothly, so you don't ever get constipated. Take it every morning, and it alone will help you avoid most of these episodes. Don't over do it with the fiber as to much fiber can cause you to have diarrhea, and that is what you are trying to avoid.

It a good idea to also take some magnesium potassium aspartate. on a regular basis. This keeps your stools soft, and gives your body what it needs to function during episodes. So having a good store of these two minerals is essential.

You can help your nervous system out with 5HTP which calm it down to stop the intestinal spasms. I take it 3 times a day.

Likewise warm herbals teas also can do this. I suggest fennel, and peppermint. I recommend the Heather's Tummy brands. You search for them online to order them. Actually her whole line of products is geared towards IBS so you may find other things that can help you. I know Amazon carries them.

Panic attacks are very common during these episodes I believe it is part of the vaso vagal response (fight or flight mechanism) the 5HTP should help with this. If you need extra help Progesterone cream also helps. Talk to you doctor about this one however. You can buy it over the counter, but better to make sure it's not going to cause you any other problems.

It's also a good idea to keep some Pedialyte handy for when the episodes occur. You need to put your fluids back as quickly as possible.

I have a personal belief that the bodies PH level also plays a role in this. I found that I was very acidic when these episodes where happening, and the body tends to dump toxins when it gets to acidic, or you consume to much alkaline. Say like eating a bunch of watermelon. Tip, baking soda will trigger episodes on que! Be careful with it! It's one of the most alkalizing substances there is. In our case it is best to gradually alkalize yourself rather then a detox all at once. Just change your diet to consume less acidic foods, and it will gradually alkalize. You can find list of alkalizing food online by doing a Google search. You can also buy litmus strips at most health food stores to test your PH level, which is a good thing to do anyways. Acidic bodies tend to breadt disease. The sooner you alkalize the better!

Probiotics are another option to help your intestinal tract be free of bad bacteria that can sometimes cause diarrhea. I take a course of Florastor every so often to balance my system.  This usually a mild process, but if you have a bacteria overgrowth, you can suffer die-off, which feel like a flu. It's just your body removing the bad bacteria. feels similar to ingesting to much alkaline foods at once. It purges your system, and can trigger an episode.

Take a good multi vitamin everyday. People who generally have this problem tend to have problems with absorption so you need to make sure you are getting all your vitamins, and not flushing them down the toilet.

The main goal is to build up your system to defend against these attacks, so you are prepared when they happen.  I do not know of anyone that has eliminated them all together, but people have had great success using some of these methods.

I hope this helps you all have better episodes. I know how scary they can be. I just kept one at bay last night because I am on antibiotics for an infection, and antibiotics can trigger nasty episodes. Naturally antibiotics make you very acidic!

So this just started happening to me and twice in the last 60 days.  I have had unusual "movements" my entire life and never had a "regular" schedule.  SOmetimes I go a few times a day and sometimes not for days but the two episodes I have had were after a few days of constipation.   I have never fainted but feel close.  One VERY noticeable effect for me is the tingling hands and areas of my skin are itchy.  I thought of food allergy but have ruled that out.   Here is what my timeline looks like.  I think everyone should post their timelines so we can compare them.  

1.  Stomach starts cramping like I need to take a huge dump.   This can happen sometimes without going into one of these episodes.  I can hear my bowels gurgling like they are preparing to evacuate everything and head to toilet.
2.  I dont push anymore..  it will come when ready.   I try to wait until last possible moment then give a little push and let it fly... and it does.   But unlike most other movements which will result in great relief,  this is when my cramps start to worsen.  
3.  Cramps start to get really bad and sweat sets in.   Sweat will drip off my entire body including legs which is strange.  
4.  Feeling faint and hands especially get very "tingly" almost like they are asleep.  Very lightheaded but never pass out.  
5.  Severe cramping followed by more diarrhea.. this can happen 3 to 4 more times over the next 5 to 10 minutes.  
6.  Cramping starts to subside as does sweating and tingling hands.  Still very faint but can tell recovering.
7.  Body empty but cramping still up and down.  Limp to bed as I am exhausted.  

If I had this happen in a public place I would be OUT OF LUCK!   There is NO way I could recover enough to walk more then 10 paces.   I look like I have been emaciated and have no color in my face...   Although I am hungry and thirsty at this point I cannot leave the bed and often sleep into the next day.   At that time I am fine and am just glad it is over.   Similar symptoms with similar timelines will help with diagnosis so please start posting your experience like I have..  
Hi Junkbox, I believe what you've described is a pretty text book episode. Mine where horrible when they started, felt like I was going to die every time. But now there are not that bad since I know how to manage them. They usually only last 15 minutes now, they were much longer when they first started happening.

My body is ready for them now using all the methods I described above. So I usually avoid the massive sweating, and heart palpitations. I just usually get a mild discomfort now with a lower body temperature, and blood pressure. It's good to stay warm during these episodes if your body temperature drops, something I forgot to mention above. I sometimes drop below 95F degrees, which is hypothermia levels. Sitting on a heating pad can also help warm you up and stop the spasms.

I can't express how important it is to prepare your body for these episodes. After while this all wears down your body, and you start to have malabsorption problems. You can become enimic or malnutritioned. Leaving your body very weak. I ended up in the ER several times because my heart couldn't take it when it was really bad. I was having episodes every day at that point for three weeks. My body had nothing to run on, and started leaching minerals from my organs and bones. The same happens over a long period of time, it's just gradual.

So please take good care of yourself, and stay away from things that deplete your body like caffeine. Caffeine is known to cause these episodes, as well as a lot of acid like Soda.

Lets try to avoid the episodes all together!
Wow was I pleased to find this site!

I thought I was alone in the middle of the night with this but clearly not! I have been getting these "attacks" for about 10 years - I'm 32 now and normally get them about 3 times a year. I've never been to a doctor as I'm normally fine the next day, and they're uselss most of the time anyway! but this morning I woke up after a 2 hour episode around 11:30pm last night and there is nothing left to come out except blood, every time I drink anything I feel the diarrhea coming but just blood comes out - slightly worrying!

I've read all your posts and am not convinced its the Vasovagal reactions previously mentioned as I don't always pass out, normally I'm just so weak from the pain, feeling dizzy and with that awful ringing in your ears I just fall on the bathroom floor until I'm able to get back on the toilet to either be sick or for more diarrhea (sometimes both) But the stomach cramps are unbearable and the sweating is getting worse as I'm getting older.

Someone mentioned to me this morning that it could be diverticulitus, has anyone had this ruled out?

Also we all seem to associate this with spicy/greasy food and apparently there is this new thing going around about certain bugs that live in rice, could it actually be the rice thats not heated correctly causing it? I had curry yeaterday with rice.... but then quite often I eat curry and I'm fine....

I don't know,  I'm just glad I'm not alone with these symptoms

Hi Martine29, None of my episodes have every had blood, and I don't remember anyone else every mentioning bleeding. If you are bleeding like you say you are, you need to get to a doctor right away and have it checked out. Your situation sounds a lot more serious then most of ours. When blood is involved you always see a doctor, never hesitate! I woulds even go so far as suggest you hit up a ER so you don't have to wait for a doctors appointment. They can do the scans to see where the blood is coming from, and how serious it is.

Sometimes poorly chewed food can cut you as it is flushed through your system. It is very important that people with this condition chew their food thoroughly. Nuts are especially dangerous in this way.

Please don't hesitate to see  a doctor, this can be a very serious condition, and in some cases life threatening at times. I'm in my 40's and find myself in the ER several times a year because of this, and I know how to treat it. It can, and will get worse the longer you go without treating it. It's not something that will go away on it's own. If you are bleeding then it's time to get a lower GI!
Hi, thank you so much for your advice londart, it has stopped now, I thought it could just be piles or something but I will definately get it checked out like you say. I did have some peanuts yesterday so perhaps I didn't chew my food well enough.

I would have seen a doctor earlier but its difficult when you have 2 small children and no one to look after them, but I'll make an appointment tomorrow to maybe get the ball rolling and ask for some tests, although it took them 2 years to diagnose my daughters milk allergy so I don't hold much hope!

Just re read your advice and wanted to give my timelines to see how they differ.

I'm generally very healthy, I take multivitamins, eat a high fibre breakfast, drink decaf tea don't eat a lot of fatty prepared foods. I'm regular as clockwork every morning after my tea I will visit the toilet and never get constipated! I don't eat many sweets etc and hardly ever drink alcohol - although that wasn't always the case!

Anyway an attack will normally be in the middle of the night, it will be one of those nights that I'm restless feeling uncomfortable I'll doze in and out of sleep then wake with a sharp pain in my tummy needing to go.

Sitting on the loo I feel like I need to be sick, often I will be sick then just about make it in time to sit back down ready for the diarrhea. Starts fairly soft.

The cramps get worse now and I writher around in agony (have to say not as bad as childbirth!) not quite sure which end it will come from.

Then I feel the need to go into the foetal position and loose sense of balance have a huge ringing in my ears and fall off the toilet onto the floor which normally wakes my husband who comes in and bless him brings me a drink then leaves unable to bear the smell! I think at this point I could have passed out but would only be for seconds

After a while (I have no idea of time) of continuous cramping, ears ringing and trying to stay conscious I get back on the toilet and the sweating starts I strip off and have a drink as my mouth is very dry. The stools are liquid form now, the ringing in my ears comes back and the cramping is constant.

I manage to crawl back to bed then after about 5 mins another dash for the loo just for more liquid stools.

My episodes normally last about 45 minutes - 1 hour

Normally I just go back to sleep and am fine in the morning, feeling a little weak. This morning however the diarrhea continued like I said in the earlier post. I still have cramping now at 8pm but no more diarreah/blood.

Martine
I'm glad to hear that it has stopped and that you are getting it checked out.

Everything you are experiencing during your episodes sounds pretty normal compared to the rest of us. The bleeding part is not so normal, but hopefully that is a rare case, and just from some sharp food passing.

Please try some of my suggestions above to help lessen the symptoms, and try to avoid them all together.

Food is your enemy in most cases, so be careful what you eat. Keep a food diary, or at the very least a mental note of what you eat throughout the day. Look up IBS trigger foods online, and stay away from them.

Herbal teas are the best kind of tea for this condition. Even decaf tea can cause trouble, because it still has some caffeine in it. Caffeine is a huge trigger food. Likewise chocolate is as well, especially dark chocolate. Just because it's natural, and supposed to be healthy doesn't mean it is safe for those with this condition. If it's highly acidic, and stimulate the nervous system, you will react badly to it.

You want to look for foods/herbs that calm the nervous system, and that are highly alkaline, but not sugary. It's easy to find list of these things online.

Finding a good doctor to deal with this is another issue. I've found that there are some very good doctor that are trained to handle these situation that treat another condition. You can go to the website, and select your location and see if you can find a doctor near you. These are some of the best doctors for treating these types of issues.

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/DoctorsListing/

A General Practice/ Family Practice Doctor will have no idea what to do for you, and try to medicate you. These doctors will not, they will find the source of the problem, and treat it, and make you much better. They are better at finding specific causes for conditions. My GP found nothing in my blood work, but one of these doctors found that my Testosterone was extremely low, and that my adrenal glands were either overworked or hardly working. I had a severe potassium deficiency as well. He corrected it all without prescription medications. It didn't take long, and it wasnt very expensive. Most of it is just herbs, and minerals. I feel way better and the episodes happen a lot less if at all. I haven't really had a full episode since, but minor ones, that usually just end up in bowel movements with minor discomfort.

SO please everyone look in to these doctors, it is worth the time.
ThERE IS A CURE !

I have had this condition (Vasovagal syndrome) for 8 years, symptoms: gut wrenching pain,sweats,sudden urge to go the bathroom but not being able to at first and feeling as if you are going to pass out or do pass out. I have had ambulances called and when my blood pressure was checked it was so low they went ahead and took me to the hospital, and by the time they get there everything is back to normal. For me the pain is so bad i scream.

Finally i went and talked to a surgeon and he told me the vasovagal nerve which runs down to the lower left corner of your pelvic are can be cut so you don't experience the pain anymore.

I am planning on having this done when i schedule my surgery for my scar tissue to be taken out.

That is about as much of a cure as cutting off your hands would be for arthritis.

I would never use surgery as a solution unless it was a life or death situation. It's a very important nerve, and cutting it would be a very bad idea in my opinion.

This condition is synonymous with hormone imbalances. In most cases it can be corrected by just seeing a good internist Doctor like the ones from the link I posted above. Most people will find that one of their hormones is seriously off, or multiple things may be off. Vitamin deficiencies are common as well. I would first see a doctor that is qualified to treat, and diagnose you, before ever turning to a surgeon.
Hi,  Bleeding could be serious. It happened to me twice this year.  First lower abdominal pain, BM, then what sounded to me like diarrhea, was actually blood, maroon color, not bright red.  5 minutes later more cramps and more blood.  And again 5 minutes later.  I waited about 3-4 days before getting in touch with a gastroenterologist.  He said it was probably too late to prove his phone diagnosis, which was acute ischemic colitis.  I should have gone to an ER immediately.  Then tests would probably find bleeding site.  By waiting so long after bleeding episode stops, the site may heal enough so that it isn't found.  But a colonoscopy was necessary to rule out anything more serious (not that acute ischemic colitis isn't ).  Anyway, the saga continues as it does relate to all the other posts here as well.  I went for colonoscopy on Wed.  It was incomplete because I have a very long, redundant colon.  That means since it is so long and still has to fit in the abdomen, it twists and turns, loops, kinks....whatever it has to do to fit.  So the probe or whatever you call it couldn't get around and was causing pain and woke me up as I heard myself begging them to please stop!  They stopped, but I had to go back the next day for a double barium w/air enema so they could examine the rest by x-ray.  I won't have the results until tomorrow.   But I wanted to tell you that for over 20 years I suffered from cramps, cold sweats, passing out on the bathroom floor, cracked cheek bone, broken teeth, concussion.  I still line the bathroom floor with pillows and blankets every time I get a stomach ache now.  I was told fainting was the vagus reaction from straining at stool.  Well, I don't do that!  I don't have to.  It just flies out like an exorcism! Sorry.  Some years back, I quit smoking and the fainting got better. Then I started drinking as much water as I could stand every time I got a stomach ache because it helps keep the blood pressure from dropping and I stopped falling off the toilet.  But I never got rid of the cramps, sweating and diarrhea.  It got better as I learned to stay away from fried chicken and sliders and spicy stuff and limited alcoholic drinks to one or two.  I also learned since Wed. that having a redundant colon can cause bouts of constipation and diarrhea and may eventually lead to ischemic colitis.  So I have yet to share my old fainting stories with the Doc.  But you bet I will.  And I will ask if my extra long colon could have been the basis for all of those episodes perhaps by pressing on some organ or vagus nerve.  10 to 20 per cent of failed colonoscopies are due to redundant colons, so it's not that unusual.  Now I did overeat on mother's day.  A chinese buffet, and the next day I had this cramps and bleeding episode.  I'll see what Doc says.  I'm hoping that maybe this is the answer, at least for some of us, and that there is a simple solution.  Martine, get your but to the doctor.
Well, my tests came back fine - not even a polyp.  As far as my theory goes, a redundant colon may contribute to syndrome, but there are patients who have average length colons with these symptoms.  So much for that.  The bleeding problem may never occur again, but if it does, it has to be investigated right away.  Good luck to all.
I have had the same symptoms as some of you. Mostly happening at night- Extremely severe stomach cramping followed by sweating/clammy, ears ringing (were I can't hear anything else), passing out or nearly, explosive BM and then cold sweats/chills. I feel completely drained afterwards.
This has happened to me since I was 9 years old. I am now 29 and still get them regularly. By regularly I mean 1 per month, sometimes less. I have had colonoscopy (-), barium (-), diabetes test (-), full glucose tolerance test (-), Abdominal CT (-) except for a herniated disc. I have been to an OBGYN who said that I had severe endometriosis. I had a DNC, which the Dr. said would stop symptoms, it has not. I don't know what else to do about it. Since having this for so long, it has become a way of life and I have coping strategies- but I'm just tired of dealing with it. My doctor wants to check my blood for hereditary angioedema, but I don't think I have that because I don't have swelling. At least my doctor is willing to try something to get answers- that I am thankful for.
I, too, have all the symptoms of cramps, diahrea, cold profuse sweating, and feeling of vomiting and faintness in the middle of the night.  I also notice at the same time I have a swelling of one eyelid and a recession of the gums by just one tooth in my mouth.  I think it really has to do with an allergic reaction to some food.  (Yesterday I had a jalapeno sausage, salsa, pizza, wine, and chocolate - all of the same foods I am seeing posted by others.)
There are other foods I have notice eyelid swelling from, but not necessarily the extreme abdominal symptoms as stated above:
peanuts, vinegar, spices - cloves, paprika, all spice, and oregano.  I also have the eyelid swelling when in contact with cleaning products, bleach, hydrocortisone, nitrates, aspirin, peroxide, chalk, hair sprays, lotions, perfumes, and excessive dust.
I have experienced stomach problems such as IBS and lactose intolerance as well.  
I assume it is all allergy related, and we just need to stay away from those items that cause problems.

mell_54963
I also have had kidney stones, and still have gallstones.  I wondered too, at one point, if this was a gallbladder attack.  (There are similar symptoms like: cramping, sweats, and fever - 99.7 which I did have the day of the attack).
I have had diabetes since I was 10 years old, 27 years ago.  I have suffered from this bowel problem since I was 12.  I have only ever found relief from taking Zelnorm.  My doctor put me on it so that I could work in public.  The symptoms and aftereffects kept me from working every day. They took it off the market for health dangers.  I would gladly risk it.  I never had an attack for the 2 years I was on Zelnorm.  I am back to having attacks at least once a week and several times a week during my menstrual cycle.  I am wondering what it was in the medicine that stopped all the symptoms.  Thank you for all your information, I don't feel so freakishly alone anymore.  
I just located a website:  helpforibs.com  It has great advice for irritable bowel syndrome.  It lists foods to eat or not to eat, and those not too eat, should never be eaten on an empty stomach.  It also lists supplements to help aid in IBS.  Be sure to read the whole article.  There are limitations for some of the supplements that may make IBS worse if you don't read it all!!
I just had this happen to me.  I have had it happen about 4 times in my life.  Starts off like moderate stomach pain.  I go to the bathroom and the pain increases, I strain to get out what is in my stomach.  My ears ring, the nerves in my body tingle, as the pain increases my body gets to a point of almost passing out.  I feel like I might die, so I unlock the bathroom door so someone might be able to help me.  The pain and fainting symptoms pass after I am finding able to pass my stomach contents.  Its really scary, and probably the most painful experience I have had.  Two times I took a magnesium citrate supplement called Natural Calm, and I had this violent stomach reaction.  I discontinued using that supplement.  Tonight I was drinking red wine, and I had about 5 glasses.  I also ate a rare steak that was seasoned pretty well.  I am not sure exactly the cause of my experiences, but It probably related to the type of wine or the dehydration possibly.  I feel better now that I got that all out of my stomach.  Lucky for me I didn't pass out, I was damn close!  I am relieved to see other people have the same experience, because hopefully we can narrow down what is causing it.
I just went through it about 15-20 mins ago...omg terrible terrible...its pretty late at night i was in my livingroom looking for something then all of a sudden i get a cramp and it increased in pain so fast i found myself running to the bathroom already by that time i culd feel the sweat coming out my pores,got to the toilet and i got this intense feeling of weakness and dizziness. i unlocked the bathroom  just incase i needed to yell for help, i was literally resting my head on my knees because i had absolutely zero strength to even put my head up, i passed a hard stool then diarrhea i started to cool off as i finished and was able to pick my head up, ths happened to me b4 prob about 2 yrs ago. i tell u this it is a really scary feeling, well to finish i cleaned myself up and laid down on the bed my stomach was sore like ive been doing sit ups, then i got the urge to throw up so that was another episode same symptoms but this time it was throwing up i thought this would never end!! and here i am on my bed eliviated knowing others know what im talking about.oh and before this wole event i ate a big bowl of vanilla yogurt not the little cups. the big cups. could this have done it.....?
Yes, large amounts of dairy can trigger evacuation for some people. I would stay away from it for now. The yougurt could have been tainted as well. This is why you may have thrown up. Most people do not throw up with IBS episodes. It can happen but not to common. It sounds a little like you ate something bad.
Hi mec6288, these episodes that everyone is describing here are text book IBS episodes. I've had them for twenty years or so. I recommend you seek help for it, as it progresses if you ignore it to where you can't even leave your house. I listed a bunch of things above that  can help, and you can find a lot of info on the Heather's tummy care website that Mell listed.

http://www.helpforibs.com
This started for me about 15 years ago. Every episode is the same basically.
Sudden cramping and soon after sitting on the toilet I start to feel very ill. Weak, sweaty, and the cramps intensify. It takes all my strength to get off the toilet and onto the floor.
The cramps are so severe it's hard to breath so I'm not sure if that is what causes the faintness or not. While this is happening I am literally too weak to call out for help.

Every episode has happened late at night, which I think is odd. And it just so happens I was very constipated before each episode, with it being close to a week without a bm.

After these attacks I'm so exhausted all I can do is crawl into bed and hope it's over. (almost always, theres two attacks within 30 minutes of each other and that's it) whick is also kind of odd.

This has all started happening to me very recently - about 5 times (severly) in the past 3 months.  It started with 2 bouts in the same week.  I'd never had the pain before- all I knew is that I needed to get to the bathroom fast.  Since then the sessions have only got worse.  It happens instantly.  I get to the toilet and release pure liquid.  The stomach cramps are like nothing I've ever felt before, I feel faint, and sometimes I wish I'd pass out just so I didnt have to feel the pain.  Meanwhile I'm feeling extremely nauseous, my hands start to tingle and I get cold sweats.  It's started to end in me vomiting heavily.
I wouldn't say its nice to know there are others out there with the same problems - I wouldnt wish this upon anyone.  But it is nice to know that its not all in my head.  Whats worrying is that from looking at the posts, it seems like people are just expected to deal with it as there is no definite cause.
I've been to the doctors twice now.  First time I was handed some anti-spasm tablets and cocodamol for the pain and told to wait and see.  Didn't work.  Next time I was given different tablets that I have to take 3 times daily - doesn't look like thats working either.  
I keep a diary, but can't really see a pattern. I really don't want to have to keep going through it.

Anywho, I wish you all the best with this.  If anyone does happen to find a super miracle cure, please do let us know ; )
It's most likely IBS, just look it up online, and talk to your doctor about it. There are things that you can do to help yourself. There is no cure or real understanding yet of why it happens, and why some have it so severe. My belief is that some have more inflammation  then others. The inflammation can cause swelling in certain areas where nerves get to much pressure on them, and even arteries, like in my case. I lose the use of my left leg during all of this at times until it all passes then my leg is fine again. This pressure can set off your nervous system in a very bad way causing vasovagal syncope.

I suspect the kidneys can cause the problem. Acidosis can do many strange things to the body, and your digestive system is very sensitive to acid. It is a very good idea for people with IBS to begin alkalizing their bodies before any real physical damage can take place. Then you would be dealing with things like colitis.

Having your stomach acid checked is also not a bad idea, as a lot of people with IBS also have  GERD. To much stomach acid, which weakens the valves, and allows the acid to leak in to the intestines, and esophagus.

The sooner you talk to a doctor the better your chances are of avoiding the more serious complications. Make sure you also include an alternative medicine doctor in your diagnosis, and treatment, as they are best equipped at treating it. Mainstream medicine really has no idea how to treat the condition. However they need to rule out any serious complications first through testing. Then you can see the alternative medicine doctor for treatment.
Here is a page that gives a lot of info on the zelnorm situation: http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/zelnorm.asp

A good alternative is 5HTP. You can buy it at most drugstores.

I take it three times a day, and it does help.
Fat is your worst enemy with this condition. Keep that in mind when making food choices. Anything high in fat has a good chance to set you off.
I first experienced my severe stomach pains when I was 21.  I am now 30.  It happend during finals in college when my diet consisted of coffee and no sleep.  I had to leave class because my stomach started to rumble in pain and I needed to get to a bathroom pronto because I felt like I was going to have to diarrhea. Before I could get to the restroom, I fainted but regained consciousness 5 seconds later.  I got up and went towards the restroom but fainted again before I could get there.  Again, I regained consciousness a couple of seconds later.  By the time I got to the restroom I fainted one last time.  When I woke up I went to the toilet and had diarrhea and felt better.  Later that day, the doctor said it was gastroenteritis.  I believed him and didn't think anything of it.  Then over the next couple of years, I had a few episodes during my menstrual cycle but I didn't faint.  I was sweating a lot during the episodes with severe stomach pain which went away once I had diarrhea.  Within the past 5 years it appeared to me my episodes were triggered by greasy foods/red meats.  Usually when I eat these type of foods close to my menstrual cycle the stomach pains come and I need to get to a restroom pronto where I will sit for 15-30 minutes with off and on pain, constant sweating until I have diarrhea.  The last episode was my worst so far and happened last week.  I had a sushi dinner and 30 minutes after I had to go to the restroom.  The pain this time was so severe I felt like I was in and out of consciousness.  It was unbearable and when I went to take deep breaths I couldn't because my chest became really tight.  I was sweating and just praying for the pain to go away.  Once I had diarrhea I was weak but at least felt better.  My stomach has been very sensitive this week and I have had some minor pains after my meals that lead to diarrhea.  I don't know what this is but I am comforted that I am not the only one out there who has experienced the same symptoms as me.  I am going to the doctor to see what it could be but for now I am watching how I eat and being very careful.
I used to have similar symptoms (pain being less extensive than described by most of you), after which I researched it on the net and found a site written by an IBS patient (Heather's site, mentioned earlier in this post). She argues that it's not really what you eat rather than HOW you eat it. To me this explains why I was never able to figure out what food actually causes the symptoms. The same food can sometimes cause cramps and at other times be perfectly OK.

For her the method that stopped the pain and the rest of the symptoms is preparing the stomach before every meal with soluble fiber. This can be rice cakes, a slice of bread, etc., she lists them on her website. (This is really not a promotion for that site, I just found it very helpful and the approach down-to-earth and relatively simple to follow).

Doing what she suggest had actually stopped my cramps and diarrhea. When I get lazy thinking that now I'm fine and stop paying attention to it, it comes back.
Hope this may be help to some of you.
I had major fusion back surgery 5 years ago and two more other back surgeries since.  The latest being May 2009.  I am 40 now and had my gallbladder out when I was 19.  I have had what the doctors call dumping syndrome since the gallbladder surgery.  It causes major diarrhea within 10 to 15 min. after eating sugar, starchy, or greasy foods. Over the years I'd gotten used to this.  About 3 years ago I started to get really hot while using the bathroom during these bouts and sweating but no dizzyness or fainting.  I had my husband put a ceiling fan in the bathroom so I could cool off while on the pot.  December of 2008 I went to a graduation of my Daughter's RN degree;  we went to eat buffett (seafood - fried).  I knew I would have to go to the bathroom following this kind of food but little did I know I was about to experience the scarriest day of my life.  I got dizzy while driving home and had to stop on the side of the road.  I got hot, sweating like water was being poured on me, hands and face numb, hard to breath,  passed out and had a seizure.  My family saw me pull over and they called 911 and long story short the Emergency Doctor says it is due to constipation / vagal response.  THEN I WENT BACK FOR MY 4 WEEK SURGERY FOLLOW UP WITH THE BACK DOCTOR / ORTHOPEDIC SPECIALIST;  I had a spell in his office.  He said he had never witnessed anything like it before and told me to go to my regular doctor after getting out of the emergency room. I have been on pain medication, sleep aid meds, antidepression, and blood pressure medication for the past 5 years.  Someone mentioned that his doctor put them on them for this............ I agree it won't help this problem.  I have all the same symptoms as everyone else with the exception of :  my blood pressure doesnt drop much and my temperature falls to 95 degrees whill i feel really hot and sweaty. I had another episode the other night and then again today while in Walmart.    I only passed out once but come close each time.  I don't eat regular meals but usually one main meal.  I do see a pattern between all of us in that our eating patterns or not eating during for some time then eating causing the onset of these ordeals.  I will keep an eye out so let me know if anyone finds a real answer from a doctor and any more ideas from the internet.  I will do the same.
I forgot to say that the only thing I am sure of is that constipation is not the reason and we are not crazy despite the thinking of the doctors.
There is some research that link back injuries to chronic digestive problems. In fact there are studies being done right now that are trying to link Fibromyalgia, back injuries, and IBS. Most people with Fibromyalgia have sever constipation, and stomach problems. Constipation is a very serious problem, and is generally the cause of IBS. Even when its IBS-D it's the constipation that sets of the -D. Constipation is not the source, but it is what causes the diarrhea. In your case though it sounds more like a pinch in the spinal cord that causes the constipation, which then causes the diarrhea. I would have your doctor look at your spine closely and see if he can find any abnormalities, especially near the tail bone.

FYI I injured my tail bone when I was 11, and all my stomach problems appeared when I was 12. After a car accident when I was 33 it got much worse. I'm now 40 and dealing with severe problems, and my back acts up every time I have and episode. Usually a bad night of sleep and waking with back ache. Later that day if I eat anything I shouldn't it happen. I also have fibromyalgia.

Not everyone get to this place in the same way. I know lots of people with IBS that  dont have any fainting spells at all, so I assume these people aquired their IBS in a different way then us.  I suspect that those of us fainting have an issue with out nervous systems, and I'm sure there are several different ways that can come about as well. I know for me it was probably my tail bone injury. I never really linked the IBS, back injury, and fibromyalgia together, but after reading some fibromyalgia forums, and some doctors personal studies, it appears that there is a link.
Thanks for the information.  I was wondering if anyonelse had back problems and this problem.  I have been fighting the back problem since breaking my L5/S1 vertabre (right above the tailbone).  I know constipation goes with the pain pills and some of the other medication I am on but I don't have these spells when I am having problems with that all the time.  I have noticed that my back does hurt very bad right around the time I have these spells.  Thanks for the information.  I go see my doctor on August 18,  2009 and if I find out anything usefull to any of us I will pass it on.  

Because of the problem with lower back problems and the possibility of problems with digestive tract and bowel associated with the spine in that area; I keep a close eye on this to make sure my system doesn't shut down on me.  I have wondered if these spells could be associated with my lower back issues and I will have it checked out further.  Thanks again for the informaiton.
It's fantastic and horrible at the same time to see that I have something in common with so many people. I don't personally know anyone with my  "illness" so to see all these stories is amazing. I did want to say that I have a thyroid condition which is very common in many people but they are unaware they have it. Symptoms of overactive or hyperthyroidism like I have can include weight loss, large appetite, dizziness, heart palpatations, fainting, feeling weak, and so much more. I have gone to an Acupuncturist who has told me that my severe stomach issues are from my thyroid problems but he also says that doctors don't usually test for thyroid issues if diarrhea is the only symptom. My symptoms change as the year goes on so who knows if there's a real correlation there. Hopefully with medication to help my thyroid I can quit having these spells and be able to eat normal without fear of painful passing out diarrhea attacks. :0
just wanted to add another thing to check for just in case people were running out of options and hadn't been diagnosed yet.  
Thanks for the information.  I am being sent to doctor / specialist to check for thyroid problems and some other things too.  My regular doctor is like most of the other doctor's  you guys have described; clueless.  He checked my adrenals but nothing there.  I will keep everyone up to date.  
Well...my symptoms are similar.  Here is my story:

Began at around 14, severe stomach aches on the toilet.  "Attacks" occured every few years.  I began to see a pattern that included the following:

1) Stress
2) a period of fasting(an empty stomach)
3) eating a "bisquick" type biscuit or pizza.

It took me years to make the connection.  During the process, my symptoms began to include fainting.  

I will usually be asleep and awaken to that feeling.  I head to the bathroom and when i sit i have horrible cramps, lower left abdomen(distended).  I manage a small hard lump of a stool and then pass out.  When i come to, i am covered in sweat and i get back on the toilet and have explosive watery diarrhea.  I am then extremely weak for the rest of the day, but I know I will not have any more problems.  The area around the lower left abdomen(colon) is tender for days and my stools for the next few weeks will be very slender and in small pieces.  

It's almost like the bread forms a blockage and the colon distends to allow passage, then it is inflamed afterwards, hence the tiny narrow stools.

I can eat bread(i avoid white) but i drink lots and lots of liquid with it and vegetables.

This is very scary and I hope the rest of you can find a way to manage your symptoms as i have.  I have gone about 9 years without an episode until a few months ago.  And i am still feeling my body trying to recover from the last.  Until then, i try to avoid bread.

Good luck.
Tonight my 39 yr old husband, for the first time, experienced the whole symptoms.
It happened so fast--- approximately less than 20 minutes overall.

1. While sitting, he  mentioned that he feels abdominal cramps. My husband rarely shows sign to physical weakness so when i he pressed on again to his stomach and his eyes turning bleak, I knew it must be painful. (time: approximately 5 minutes)

2. Then he walked out to get some fresh air. All of a sudden, I heard him vomiting outside. He felt like purging something out. He sat for a while and vomited again. (time: less than 5 minutes)

3. As i assisted him back into the house, he fell into the floor with half his body in an upright position. I asked him, " did you feel like fainting or is it your legs?" he answered, " my legs felt weak." (time: less than 3 minutes)

3. He said he has to go to the bathroom for BM (bowel movement). On our way to the bathroom, he fell again. this time, he saw red haze before his eyes. He did faint for a few seconds. (less than 5 minutes)

3. He had hard stool and though he still wants to purge some gurgling liquid that feels like diarrhea, he couldnt because he's constipated (less than 10 minutes)

4. He drank half a cup of water (stubborn guy) and decided to lay on the bed. He's now wearing his jacket while sleeping.

I read 90% of the comments. It seems like most people has something in common with him. He has a sensitive stomach.

The whole day he drank only mostly beer and coke. He only drank tea a few minutes before the attack so I dont think its the cause.

He is also constipated as usual since he doesnt have much fiber in his diet. Few days before this he had hemmoroids.

His whole diet for today includes:

Breakfast (9am) : pancake + over easy egg + crisp bacon + coke

Lunch (12:30) : chinese dumplings with noodles + melon + beer

Dinner (7:15pm): Salad +corn+ steamed fish+ well-done steak+ 1pcs grilled chicken

Snacks (9:30) pistachios + sleepy time herbal tea.

10 PM : The symptoms kicked in.

12:30 Am : took off his jacket. he wants to poop but he's constipated. Not to mention his hurting butt.

I think its something to do with his constipation and diet. not enough water and fiber to regulate his body. its the issue he has in common with the rest.