Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting
I have experienced on 4 occasions in the last 6 years a rather weird Diarrhoea attack which really is painful and scary. Here is a description of what occurs.

1. Sudden abdominal pain which increases in intensity over a short time. The same sensation one might get when they are about to get Diarrhoea.

2. I go to the toilet and try excreting whatever wants to come out. However after about a minute of sitting there with nothing coming out I suddenly few light headed and am starting to get a dizzy spell like I am about to faint and my breathing weakens.

3. This borderline fainting sensation lasts for about another minute before I break out into a sudden sweat all over my body. Within a few seconds I have sweat literally pouring out of me, my clothes are wet as if I ran a marathon or something.

4. After a minute of sweating I suddenly feel something coming out of my rear end. I try to squeeze it out and only a hard stool comes out.

5. The sweating stops and the stomach cramp subsides. I think everything is over and I clean up. I walk out of the toilet and in about 2 minutes time the stomach cramp and the fainting sensation comes back (I've fainted only once to date from this and was out for about 15-20 minutes).

6. When I get back to the toilet I have a really violent Diarrhoea episode in pure liquid state. It takes a few minutes to subside and once I
happens to me whenever I eat too much bread/toast and combine it with dairy produce. mainly cheese. Usually just before payday in an expensive month when snacks are low, so grab a cheese sandwich here and there and eating toast for breakfast with eggs. Avoid too much stodgy food and make sure ur diet is balanced.
I drink hot water immediately whenever I feel it is coming. Most time one cup is enough, sometimes two cups.  I don't know what it is the cause of the problems, but drinking hot water has been working for me.  Good luck to everyone.
I've only read about 1/3rd of this very long post and just wanted to chime in since I've been suffering from this since I was 12. I am now 25. Someone probably already mentioned this, but let me repeat it from personal experience. Btw, it seems like most of these posts are from women, I am a man.

I have this very frustrating condition with almost identical symptoms as most of you have described.

--intense stomach pain that comes in intervals of approx 10-30 seconds; usually, when it first start, the pain is bad but it's manageable, but the intensity increase dramatically with time. I've experienced many types of pain from all sort of injuries growing up (sports-related such as fractured bone), but DUDE, this is unbearable!

--after a while when I can't take the pain anymore, I run to the bathroom, but nothing else beside the pain happens as I'm sitting on the toilet.

--then I would sweat profusely as the intervals of stomach pain continue

--about 20% of the time, I end up fainting and hitting the floor with my head

--wake up, then a bout of diarrhea that's quite watery happens.

--then done, traumatic episode over!

It first happened to me when I was 12 and  I ended up going to 3 different internists, a gastroenterologist, nephrologist (kidney) and others that I can't even remember. Then again at the age of 18, I had even more tests done on me like full blood work, urine, stool, MRI of my head, even an EKG, etc. It all came back negative, they all suggested that, "oh, you just have a weak stomach." Had my parents not personally witnessed it, I think I would been labeled a hypochondriac and given anti-depressants.  

The doctors weren't really helpful, but one did suggest that perhaps it might be an allergic reaction to food. After keeping a food log for a while, it's very possible that I'm allergic to MSG (monosodium glutamate) and perhaps other stuff that's in the same glutamate family.

The thing is that it's very difficult to eat food and avoid MSG at the same time. It's not just in Chinese and Vietnamese food. It's in EVERYTHING! McDonalds, ketchup, mayo, broth, chips, popcorn, everything! And the hard part is that it has many names so it's tricky to find it on food labels. Certain restaurants have signs that says "We don't add MSG," but it doesn't matter, because the ingredients they use already contain MSG.

My doctor said food allergy is very tricky, because if you're allergic to substance MSG for example, sometimes you can tolerate a little bit of it, a lot of it, or none at all. So sometimes, I eat food that I know has a little bit of MSG in it and I would feel fine, but other times, even a tiny bit would trigger the whole "death-is-near-even-though-I'm-so young-and-allegedly-healthy" stomach pain. Stress, worrying a lot, a bad diet, and an overall unhealthy lifestyle will make you more vulnerable to your allergy.

So pay attention to the food you eat. Keeping a food journal and learning something about it isn't as simple as it seems. It takes some investigative analysis.

And lastly, I just want to tell everyone to hang in there. I'm so glad I finally found people who also suffer from the same symptoms. For a while, I thought I was crazy! If you often faint from these stomach pains, pull over right away at the first sign that a bout is coming if you're driving. And kids, if you're still in school and reading this post, don't be a pilot...please choose another career path. Be a doctor instead!

I used to practice martial arts as a kid and had a soft helmet that's mostly made of dense foam (similar to what boxers wear during practice). Now that I think of it, I should go find that sucker and keep it handy. It would have been helpful during all the times I hit my head on bathroom floor. You should consider some sort of protection for your head, we don't need to add concussion to the symptoms list.
I awoke during the middle of the night with severe cramping in my stomach. I didn't really FEEL the need to do a BM, just figured it was bad gas. I'm a healthy 53yo, didn't eat heavy yesterday, nothing right before bed, etc.....but as I sat on the toilet waiting for something to happen, the cramping became really bad...I began to sweat, then got chills....it was (and don't laugh) almost as if my body wanted to throw up. I felt a bit light-headed, so put my head between my knees to stave off the possibility of passing out. I just felt AWFUL! I had pretty normal BM, not much diarrhea. Did manage to get rid of some gas, but I was on the toilet for some time. My entire body just felt weak...hard to describe it really. I never got the urge to vomit, even though I really felt it was going to happen. It almost felt like something I'd experienced before...heatstroke. Just the strangest feeling. After about 20min. or so, I began to feel better. I wiped my face with a cold washcloth and went back to bed....tossed and turned a bit afterward, but no recurrence. What on earth happened? It felt akin to having the flu, but my body has never done this before and I really began to panic. I'm hoping this was just random.....
There is a rare condition carcinoid tumour which can involve fainting, diorrhea and flushing - there is a simple 24 hour urine sample that can be carried out to investigate if this is the case.
Thank you for posting! My experiences over the past two or so years have been very similar. I did faint twice and the cramps are, as you said, "unbearable." I kept a food log for a while but looking over what I ate prior to having an "episode," I couldn't find any two foods the same. I did, however, wonder if I had an MSG allergy. Reading that you suspect you are allergic to it makes me take the idea a little more seriously.

I'm going to start keeping a food log again and research more deeply into the ingredients of the food I eat. Thank you again for posting and let's hope we can all learn something about our conditions so these episodes never happen again.

To mysteriouslysick: your statement, "I can tell you from experience, it feels better to just pass out ( if someone is there to catch you), than the feeling of being on the brink of fainting. It literally feels like your dying." is exactly how I feel when I start getting sick.

[Just for the record, my symptoms include painful cramps, bowel movement, profuse sweating, dizziness, fainting (at times), low blood pressure and did I mention severe cramps??. I also have lactose intolerance and fibromyalgia.]

WOW - I have your same exact symptoms almost word for word.

I had my first episode during high school, when I woke up at night and felt extremely dizzy and like I had to go to the bathroom. I blacked out almost just 2 minutes after reaching the bathroom, hitting my chin on the bathroom counter. I woke up and was fine other than a bruise on my chin. I had no words to explain to my family why I blacked out the way I did. This has reoccured about 6 or 7 times in the last decade.

The most recent was a couple of days ago, and that's when I finally started to look into this seriously. I never thought too much of it (as crazy as that sounds) because over half of those episodes happened on a night when I drank so I chalked it up to being too drunk and not eating right.

The other night though, I had no alcohol at all, and am a vegetarian and eat pretty healthy. I woke up and immediately recognized the painful stomach cramps as the first symptom for a blackout episode. I rushed to the bathroom and this is what happened...(important to note that each episode I have had has gotten progressively worse than the one before)

--Stomach cramps
--Diarrhea feeling begins and I attempt to sit on the toilet to let it come out. I get extremely dizzy sitting on the toilet and at this point is when I usually black out.
--This time, I felt WAY too dizzy to keep sitting on the toilet or I would've blacked out onto the floor, so I went ahead and laid down on the floor, at which time I blacked out for only a few seconds. When I awoke, there was a pile of watery diarrhea next to my bottom, and it seems that even while I was blacked out, my body continued the BM.
--I felt like I was going to black out AGAIN - but only harder this time - so I laid in the tub and turned on the water to shake me out of it. All this did was prolong my black out. It made me feel better for a few seconds, but then to no avail, when I stood to get out of the tub, I fell over on the floor and crashed into a wall mirror.
--My BF then came rushing in the bathroom when he heard the crashing sounds and he helped me up.
--After it was over, I felt absolutely fine!

This is extremely embarrasing because while it seems everyone has the same symptoms, I feel that mine includes more diarrhea than most others. I was unable to control my BM and ended up going on my bathroom mat on the floor as I was passed out. It almost feels like there are toxins poisoning me that I am trying to get out of my body or I will die.

I also feel that I am about to die becuase my dizziness and sweating gets pretty bad. I feel that I have no sense of up or down, everything is just blurry and I know I'm going to fall over because I can't even figure out if I am already leaning left, right, forward or backward. I would much rather allow myself to black out as someone catches me, but I am too embarrased to call for help because my diarrhea continues even as I black out..and who would want someone else seeing that??

I will begin to keep a food journal, although with these episodes happening only once every 2-3 years, it gets difficult to track what it is. I will start it though, and hopefully (but not hopefully), if this happens again I can look for similar food products that I ate.

I'm so glad to hear that others are experiencing these symptoms too, because I have tried to explain it to family and doctors and nobody seems to believe what I am saying is happening. I hope that everyone is able to find out what their specific allergy is, so that none of us have to deal with this any longer.
Im a 31 yo male healthy non drinker no allergies, no smoker etc... I had this attack on Sunday and now today as I'm writing, (minus diarrhea )The only diet change was Chili's on Saturday (which I never eat ) and  yesterday   lunch at a Chinese buffet so Im think the MSG theory is possible.Or body may be rejecting something I ate.Either way I should know better that eat that crap.   Ive never passed out during my attacks but feel very close to it.  Turn on faucet splash my face with water close my eyes and breath. I pick a  spot and lay down on floor and waiting for the next round to start. Good Luck,  I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
This describes my experiences to the tee. I will be watching my food intake and keeping a food log. It's good to know I'm not the only unconcious pooper. tn
I also have the same things happen to me.  Last night was the first time i have ever passed ut from the episodes I get.  I believe it is do to a wheat allergy.  When I don't eat wheat it doesn't happen to me.  I have also been dealing with the cramping, diarrhea, sweating episodes for 13 years.  When I tell my doctors it's like they have know idea what I am saying.  I keep a food journal- so I do again believe it's wheat
Other than the carcinoid tumor, which I have not been tested for, my reaction *may* be due to allergies. I would have never ever guessed this, but I have had constipation pretty much my entire life, in fact I just thought I was "normal." It doesn't usually ever hurt me, I wouldn't go until I HAD to, and then I'd be done, though I always knew there was more in there, in fact it was like my colon was sluggish. Sometimes I would be so compact, as it would glide through, it felt it was scraping the sides. Increased water intake does not help, fiber does not help nor does laxatives, unless I take WAY more than is prescribed. This is the "normal" me.

Over the summer I had my first scary call 911 episode where I thought I would die, the ringing of the ears, the pain, the clenched hand, the almost total loss of BP, in fact the EMT could not find my pulse. I had diarrhea, no hard stool in the beginning, no straining, just plan explosive diarrhea and it did start in public, I held on, walked slowly to the car and grabbed one of my daughters diapers, I didn't have enough energy to even grab my husband and I sat there until he came to the car. We rushed to the hotel, and I thought I was having a stroke, so I had him call 911.

I was recently tested for "senstivities" to food, casein is mine. When I was very young I got rashes from milk, I thought I had outgrown this and haven't ever attributed my constipation to milk, in fact most milk allergies equate to diarrhea, but there is a new study showing chronic constipation is a symptom of dairy allergy. So I went on an elimination diet, constipation GONE. But I LOVE dairy products and one night I decided well maybe constipation isn't such a bad thing, I ate some cheese. Well I guess after a month of being dairy free it was TOO much and I woke in the middle of the night to one of these horror attacks, but this time I knew what it was and got myself through it. I laid on the bathroom floor so if I were to pass out I wouldn't get hurt, unfortunately it did mean cleaning up a mess.

Food allergies cause a histamine reaction in the colon, this swelling causes a push onto the vagus nerve. Admittedly I didn't want it to be something so simple. For many of you who have "no allergies" get a food sensitivity test to verify, I didn't think I had one either. It could be to ANYTHING even multiple things and of course it may not always happen. I have eaten cheese my entire life without an event, yet giving myself a break and then subjecting myself to my trigger set me off. Having milk daily gives my body a constant reaction, a weaker one because it is dealing with it all the time and the IgG have a tendency to PROTECT your body from a full blown reaction, but I hadn't had dairy in a while, so when I did I didn't get the protective effects and caused a histamine surge.

Others may not have any trigger and may just be sick, our colon is very innervated and quite full of blood vessels so if you are sick your colon swells and this may happen.

For me if I have milk now I will take claritin which has already stopped an attack. I will live mostly dairy free but since that is hard I will keep it at my side.  Hope all the best for all of you.
First of all, i am so glad to know that there's a lot of you who experience the same symptoms as i do. I am a 19 year old female.

The other morning at about 6 30, i woke up with severe stomach pain, i thought it was just bad gas so i put on some liniment that made my stomach feel warm. That's what I usually do when i feel like i have gas and it usually just goes away after applying the liniment. But this time, the liniment was of no help at all. The pain got worse and i felt the urge to do a bowel movement so i went to the comfort room. When i sat on the toilet, i did have loose bowel movement and my stomach just got really really painful and it was excruciating, at the same time i had cold clammy skin, i was sweating very profusely and i felt my pulse getting quicker. I felt like i was going to faint, it was awful.

I didn't faint, but i didn't want to pass out in the cr and get hurt. So after doing the bm, i washed and went back to my room, my whole body felt really weak. When i went back to bed, the pain was still very severe and the sweating got worse and i became really pale that i looked like a ghost. I seriously felt like i was going to die. So i couldn't go back to sleep because of the pain, and i still felt like doing a bm. What i did was i took BUSCOPAN or Hyoscine-N-Butyl-Bromide, it controls the spasms that causes stomach pain. It did work and i was able to go back to sleep. I woke up again during lunchtime, i felt better but i'm just sad that this happened.

The thing is I can't afford to have this, I am in my third year of getting my Bachelor's Degree and this is the phase where I am supposed to be in good shape the most. It's just hectic, i can't afford to be sick because it will affect my performance in school. Just the other morning, when that episode happened, i missed four major classes. I'm not grade conscious or anything but i go to a prestigious university and everybody is just good and really competitive, everybody has to keep up in order to make it.

I hope this never happens to anyone else, not even to my worst enemy. It's just awful. I prayed to God for this to never happen again. But i also pray that there's a cure for this.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one experiencing these problems - but it's unfortunate that any of us have to go through this.

Like you, Skull-love, I only have these 'episodes' once every few years but they've been going on since I was a teenager (I'm in my late 20s now). Every time it happens I think it'll be the last. I've never seen a doctor about it because I have a terrible diet and I've always thought my doctor would just chalk it up to me eating too much junk. I hadn't thought that it could be an allergy since it only happens every couple/few years - but from the sounds of the other comments on here, it may be that the episodes are due to a spike in the allergen rather than a small exposure.

I don't tend to pass out every time I have the symptoms (although I have passed out in the past) - I rest my head against the wall or the counter and concentrate on deep even breaths to prevent it. But, like you Skull-love, I tend to have more diarrhea than others here describe - so you mentioned being embarrassed, don't be! It's not just you! And I totally agree that it feels like my body's trying to expell toxins or something from my body - because once the diarrhea is done I start to feel better and eventually I'm back to 100%.

After reading all your comments, I'll definitely look into food allergies - even though it only happens every few years, I guess it may be due to a build up or sudden spike in the allergen/toxin/whatever. Not sure if you all saw this but on another forum someone commented that their allergy was to vegetable oil - so that's another possibility along with the MSG suggestion.

Thanks everyone!!
Regarding waking up in from sleep with sudden diarrhea, and then becoming very dizzy...

I had this kind of episode 4 times about 3 years ago. A nurse told me it was called vasal-vagal syncope (pronounced sin-co-pee). Syncope is often caused by low blood pressure.

Turned out it was the Triamterene diuretic I was taking (could also have been Clonidine blood pressure medication). I figured it out because I discontinued the triamterene at the time (for another reason) and was switched to metoprolol for my blood pressure, and the attacks went away. Then two days ago I had another one - I had started taking triamterene again. No more triamterene for me!!!

Hope this helps...  
I have exactly the same symptoms.  I have been feeling cramps, nausea, diarrhea, sweating, my face turns white and I feel like I'm going to die.  I passed out twice when I had that.  When I sit on the toilet I'm not even able to stay straight I feel I'm going to fall but I also want to puke and feel this horrible need to go to the bathroom.  The thing is that I just have those symptoms with my menstruation, I'm 29 years old and I've having them since 12.  I had one today and it was really bad.  I took contraceptive pills for 2 years which helped me a lot, but since I stopped I'm having those episodes again.  So I wonder if it's a food allergy why is just with menstruation...maybe what I have is different, I don't know.  My gyn/obs thought it could be endometriosis but my ecography was normal.
I've experienced the same things for about 10 years (I'm 26 y/o female).  I went to doctor after doctor in college for every type of testing you can have.  In the periods that attacks are more frequent, I notice that my body is a little bloated like I've put on a little weight.  Then when it stops, the bloating and weight goes away within a few days.  

I have cut wheat (gluten in general, but MAINLY wheat) out of my diet since this past September and it has helped IMMENSELY.   I am now in the process of moving cross country, buying a house, living out of a hotel, eating out a lot (etc...), so I have not been as sure if what I'm eating contains wheat... and I had my first episode of this in MONTHS yesterday, then another today.  It's usually within an hour of eating a meal, though it sometimes occurs in the middle of the night or wakes me up early in the morning.  

I hope that as I get back to the wheat-free diet, it goes away again.  It's just difficult to trust that there is no wheat in food at restaurants, EVEN when the allergen list claims "wheat-free."

I'd suggest the food journal, too.  Try cutting different things out for a 3-4 week period (it takes 2 weeks for wheat and other glutens to clear your system, considering you are VERY careful not to consume ANY and drink lots of water and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies to clear your system).  If it IS wheat, you'll likely lose lots of weight during the 3rd week (that "bloating" will go away) and you might have TONS more energy all of a sudden, like your body is actually able to utilize everything you are eating.

Good luck to us all! ;p
I am a 22 year old female and been having all these symptoms since I was 16. I'm not going to go into detail for its the same story as everyone else(except for the passing out, I'm too scared to wake up in the hospital so I breathe deeply and keep my head down to prevent it). But I do know it was first triggered by extreme stress and anxiety. But now I think it could be a food allergy since it happens bout a couple times a week. Doctors have told me I could have gerd, ibs, ibd, celiac disease.. The list goes on. Doctors are useless to me at this point. My next step is getting tested for food allergies and then seeing a nutritionist. I also have noticed that when practicing tai chi for 3 weeks my body was more calm and I had less episodes. But since I've stopped these episodes have been coming more frequently.  
Also does anyone else suffer from fatigue and weight loss? It is soo hard for me to gain weight ever since these first started happening at 16.
I have had these EXACT symptoms for years.  I used to get them pretty frequently (8-10 times a year, maybe), but I am happy to report that I have gone several years now without a single attack (thank God!).  That is, until this past Friday when I experienced an attack.  

I have to dispute the food allergy theory and here's why.  On Thursday, I cooked a package of (dry) soup.  It was a brocolli/cheese soup.  It was very good but I only ate half of it.  I forgot about the rest of it until I walked back into the kitchen maybe two hours later.  When I saw the rest of it still on the stove, now cold with a layer of soup "skin" formed over it, I put it into a bowl and into the fridge, and cleaned the kitchen.  The next day, I reheated and ate the leftover soup and almost immediately the symptoms began.  I was thinking that perhaps this was a bacterial poisening since the soup had been allowed to sit at room temperature for two hours, since I had showed no signs of being "allergic" to it the day before.

Having lived with this for years, I know the symptoms and the steps I must bear before relief comes.  The ONLY thing that brings relief is diarrhea, and then relief is immediate.  I also experience the horrible, unbearable cramping that intensifies minute by minute and makes you think you possibly need to be rushed to the E.R. or you might literally die right there in the bathroom, the lightheadedness, the sudden profuse sweating and the feeling of nausea (the feeling of nausea seems to be brought on by the extreme pain).  I can also hear my stomach churning loudly as the poisen slowly works its way through my system.  Finally, the diarrhea reaches the "exit zone" and BAM!, it's all over.  The horrible pain, the sweating, the nausea and the lightheadedness.  I often feel exhausted afterwards and just need to lie down.  

I used to think it was caused by food -- specifically, hot sauce (I love Mexican food and HOT salsa and chilis), so I started cutting back on the hot sauce, and it seems to lesson, but then it happened when I hadn't eaten any hot sauce, which left me so puzzled as to what could have triggered it.  And then finally, since it happened on Friday with broc/cheese soup - the SAME soup I ate the day before with no problems - I'm feeling pretty sure it's not food allergies.  Perhaps its bacterial.  Who knows, but it sure *****!

Good luck to everyone.  I hope the doctors and pharmacists figure out something over-the-counter we can keep on the shelf and take at the first indiction of a bout of this horrible condition!  May all of us go YEARS (or forever) without another attack.  

Hey all,

good to actually have some other people to talk to regarding this. I am 38 yrs old and when I was in my teens and 20's I used to quite often get the excruciating stomach pains, diarrhea, sweating, feeling weak and like you are almost dying. It is a horrible thing when it comes on especially if you are out somewhere when you can't easily access a bathroom.

Luckily in my 30s I haven't had it anywhere near as much. I did however have a nasty bout last night, which is the first bad one in a long time. Wondering if I may have even had something to do with a dodgy burger i ate that was left in the fridge a little to long.

I have had various tests done but they have never found anything wrong.

Anyway just wanted to share some things that have helped me and might help other people. The difference in my 30s is I have changed my diet to try and eat alot more organic and healthy foods, minimized diary and changed to a special milk that is easy to digest called Zymill

http://www.zymil.com.au/

I also take a fish oil capsule a few times a day as well. One of the main differences though I think is taking a Probiotic once per day such as Inner Health Plus which releases billions of good bacteria into your stomach to combat the bad. It seems to work wonders for me and has allowed me to tolerate more bad food which in the past I never was able to do without a nasty bout of stomach pains and diarrhea. Now I swear by them and take one everyday. Life is so much more enjoyable now. Definitely worth trying if you haven't already.

Cheers and good luck,

JP

Im only 17, a female, and I have all these things! I tend to blink in and out constantly though. Like I'll come to reality, then im gone again almost like im drifting to sleep over and over again but its much more unpleasant. I sweat insanely, stomach hurts, and out of the two times it has happened I only experienced diarrhea once, and it was bad.

glad to know im not the only one, but it is a scary experience for me.  
I am a RN whose sister-in-law is experiencing all the same symptoms as you. Her initial episode occurred in high school and she has had approx 5-8 episodes since then. Always occurring at night after waking up with horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. She has a history of low blood pressure. Although food allergies could play into this for some people, I am a RN who works for a Allergist. I can say that I rarely see these symptoms in those with food allergies. If you truly had a food allergy, you would would be having symptoms with time you consumed a particular food not just occasionally. I truly feel that you are all experiencing Micturition syncope or post-micturition syncope is the name given to the human phenomenon of fainting shortly after or during urination. People often become pale, nauseated, sweaty and weak before they lose consciousness. Sometimes even defecating, coughing or severe vomiting may cause fainting in a similar way. Your vagus nerve is found in a few places one of which is your gut. With any pressure on this nerve, you can have episodes of fainting. Other contrinuting factors to this include alcohol consumption, hunger, fatigue, or respiratory infection. Hope this helps.
This has happened to me my entire life, but I only recently got diagnosed.  It's called "vasovagal syncope", which means that I faint in response to over-stimulation of the vagus nerve.  The real key to the puzzle is what's causing the over-stimulation in the first place - in my case it turned out to be a dairy allergy.  For anyone on this forum, it will be helpful to start isolating sources of allergens or sensitivities in your diets so that you can prevent the digestive distress that triggers the reaction.

Good luck!
First off, the micturition syncope idea would be great IF many of the 200+ posts here had something to say about peeing.  However, I can guarantee that this is NOT micturition syncope.  The one thing that has me more perplexed than anything is that most of us have had this happen in the middle of the night or after some amount of rest.  I am with the person who said there may be a correlation to a blockage of sorts.

The pain is incredible and after having SO MANY things ruled out by so many specialists, I have just learned to except and do my breathing during an episode.  After five childbirths, I would rather go through labor than go through one of these gut wrenching episodes of pain.
I just had this happen 3 days ago.  I woke up at 3 in the morning after 4 hours of sleep with a dull aching pain in my rectum, which I could not understand and had never had before.  I went to the bathroom and sat, thinking it was gas or some kind of constipation.  Nothing happened, but all of a sudden a wave of tingling, starting from my feet, and moving up to my face, overcame me, and I felt very faint.  I then started sweating profusely out of nowhere.  I stood in the dark, went back toward my bed, wondered if I should wake my wife and have her take me to the hospital because I thought any minute I was going to pass out on the floor.  But I just walked over to the bed, sat down, then lay down, and went back to sleep and have had no symptoms since.  Strangest thing I've ever experienced.
I have been dealing wtih these symptoms since I was about 16 years old (I am now 27) and get them about once a month...sometimes more, sometimes less. My most recent episode was earlier this morning while at work and is the reason I started an online search of my symptoms (since it is now causing me to miss work).  Usually I am woken up in the middle of the night/early morning hours by severe pain in my lower abdomen followed by the sudden urge to use the bathroom. On most occasions it will take several trips to the bathroom before anything will happen. Usually I will sit on the toilet, begin to sweat so badly that it feels like I was sprayed with a hose, become very light headed and nauseous...all while trying to cope with the unbearable cramps. Suddenly, I feel like the fit is over, will go lie back down in bed and will fall back asleep for about 20 minutes until I am woken up by the cramps again. The cycle continues until I finally have a bowel movement which is always diarrhea.  I have been to the ER a number of times because of the extreme pain, several different doctors and have had so many different tests, x-rays, CT scans, ultrasounds, etc..that I have lost count all with no real diagnoses. I plan on seeing a GI doctor soon with the hopes that someone will finally be able to tell me what is wrong and I will not have to deal with this for the rest of my life. I'm glad that I found this forum and know that I am not alone! If I have any luck with the GI specialist I will be sure to give everyone an update and will hopefully be able to help some of you that suffer the same terrible symptoms.
I have had many of these attacks throughout the years as I am now 62.
I would normally have them very infrequently occuring maybe once a year. I have passed out from the severe pain, had the sweating and diarrhea described by some of the others.
Recently, I have started to experience more abdominal pain than normal. I don't always get to the severe level of cramping that can sometimes happen.
I also have a sister that had these same symptoms......she is two years younger than me. She was diagnosed a couple years ago with stomach cancer and had her stomach removed. I don't think there is a connection between the stomach cancer and this acute intestional phenomenon. She hasn't had another attack like we are discussing here but she says the dumping syndrome that can sometimes occur after a total gastroectomy is very similar.

I read on a previous post where this person said they ate an orange or a candy bar when they first started having cramps----------I tried this a couple times and to my amazement, my cramps stopped after a while. I'm not saying this is a cure-all but it seemed to help for some odd reason !!!
A candy bar? Orange?  I should try that...if I can get downstairs and eat it in time.  My attack starts out somewhat slow and seems to be unpredictable.  I never know if I am going to go into a full meltdown.  The pain becomes so intense that I seriously would welcome a long birthing labor....at least there is a "prize" in the end.  (No pun intended.)
I can't believe I've found this site. I yesterday went to the doctors and mentioned this issue, the exact one you've all stated, severe pain, sweating like you've taken a shower, fainting, on and off the toilet between bouts of laying on the floor wishing it would end. My doctor seemed to think it was an adult version of something he called an "Abdominal Migraine". On looking that up I'm not sure he's right, but I'm taking the tablets he prescribed anyway.

I don't wish ill on anyone here, but I am so glad I am not alone anymore. I've had this issue for years now, a few 'attacks' a year that seem completely random and not connected to food intake. I literally am terrified I'm going to die when it happens, knowing other people have had it for many years and you're all still here typing away, well it makes me feel better lol

I'll be following this thread from now on in the hope some genius works out what the issue is.
My 1st episode was when I was 16. I was on my way to school when I experienced the worst-ever stomach ache: the kind of feeling where u just HAVE to go poo. Before I made it to the toilet, I fainted. I felt clammy, sweaty and looked pale after the fainting episode. But the weird thing is, after pooing, I felt okay and 'normal'.
I have had several such episodes after that. All involved the same symptoms. I went to a doctor once and all he said was, I have a low threshold for pain!
Since then, I have learnt to differentiate the kind of stomach ache that is just normal (I won't faint) and the kind where I will black out.
I posted once before and have come back because I just had another "episode" last night. It was several hours after I ate some Chinese food for dinner, to which I added soy sauce. This makes me think back to one poster's comments about MSG. I found an interesting page with some info about how hard it is to tell if you are reacting to MSG and how difficult it is to even know if the food you are eating contains MSG. There is also a list of symptoms. For now, I'm going to assume my problem is MSG-related and I'm going to try to avoid it, if possible. The page is at:

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Recog.html

Also, in case it helps another person feel better (at least less alone), I'll tell you that I usually sit on the toilet and have a bowel movement and then get so dizzy and light-headed that I know I have to lie down or I will faint and fall on my face. Last night I had to lie in bed but I also had the immediate need for a bowel movement so I lay with a fairly large towel underneath me. It was gross and smelly and I'm sorry if anyone is offended by my description. But it saved me from fainting on the toilet and possibly hurting myself.

To the poster who said they think that they have more bowel movement issues than other posters, that is certainly possible but, believe me, you're not alone.

Has anyone ever felt like the severe pain, sweating, and passing out could be from your intestines twisting shut or something on that order ?  I don't know if it's possible that your intestines could become twisted from gas etc.........just thought I'd throw that out there.
I don't really think my symptoms are related to food allergies.
I am thrilled to find this. I'm sorry that so many people are suffering, but it does feel reassuring to see that I am not alone. Everyone's descriptions echo what I am dealing with. Have been gluten free for about 6 months now, and that helped until about a month and a half ago, when the same episodes started up again. Scary stuff - diarrhea, profuse sweating, ringing in the ears, almost passing out, dizziness, intense pain. I have to say - it's a horrible feeling when I start to feel that surge of pain and the cascade of parasympathetic symptoms start up (tingling, heart racing, shaking, etc) and I am helpless. I just have to breathe deeply and tell myself "It's OK, you'll be OK" over and over again until it passes. And I hope I don't pass out. As for causes, I am still hunting too. The gluten free diet is helping, but that's not the cure-all I had hoped. Now I'm thinking about more efforts toward stress management and getting another colonosocopy.
OK, some more research has been very interesting and useful. An above poster mentioned syncope, and there is a condition that is exactly what we've been dealing with - the unpleasantly but aptly named "defecation syncope." It's an overstimulation of the vagus nerve when defecating. It's a neurological phenomenon that basically involves the blood pressure suddenly dropping and pooling in the legs, causing fainting spells. From what I've read, some people are more susceptible to syncope, but it is generally not an emergency situation, unless it is cardiac related. I am going to see my doctor this week and talk some more with her about this. If it's not cardiac related and other things can be ruled out (i.e. a tumor) then there are some other things that might be addressed. Two things I've found in my studies - dehydration and skipping meals. I also found this awesome table of things to do when you feel an attack coming on. Some of it may not work if you are already on the toilet, but some things look doable:

https://ckm.osu.edu/sitetool/sites/intmedhospitalmed3public/documents/Syncope_Clinical_Review.pdf

See Box 2, five pages in if you don't care to read all the medical details.
I had my (51 yrs male),first episode last month and still on recovery due to side effects of the fall, my symptoms were exactly like yours, and after reading most of the comments posted, I agree with "cunninka" 's , as this is a food poisoning by means of Bacterial attack and body just wants to reject it,
My suggestion to all is to see if we can find a common ground between us as how hygienic is our living environment? and possibility of our food getting infected?
hello my name is tara i have a question for everyone ok so i have some of your symptoms . well let me just start from the begining so my symptoms started when i was 16 years old and now i am almost 23 . it first started one day i got Constipated for like a day or two . Then after that i had diarrhea for 3 years with really bad Abdominal pain and sweating the whole time i would be in the bathroom and then when i would be done i would be very weak and have to go lay down . Then it turned to blood for a week and then the blood went away but i still had the diarrhea for another year and then i got better for some reason i started to be able to go to the bathroom ok. But that didnt last long cause i had a baby and a few months after i had my baby i started having my pains again and then it turned back to blood for 3 weeks and now i dont have the blood but i have diarrhea all the time and pain that feels worse then being in labor . ive been to the doctors and they havent done really any tests so i dont know what it could be. All they say is that it is normal for someone my age to blood from the rectum its called fishers. I dont know but i have a lot of friends and none of them have these problems so i dont know how normal it is to always be in pain at 23 years old or at any age for that matter. The other doctor ive seen told me that it sounds to her that my intestines are having some what of a charliehorse type feeling i wanted to slap her cause the pain does not feel like that at all . so if anyone has any idea of what could be going on with me please please please let me know cause im starting to just give up hope that im never going to know what is happening to me and im just going to have to live with this . please help me . ive looked up all of my symptoms and there is just to many and all it does is leave me with more questions and not answers .
Thanks to all of you for sharing your symptoms, theories, and remedies. springfield555, I particularly appreciate your posting the link to the article on syncope. It sounds like the trigger may be individual-specific (food allergies, food poisoning, MSG, menstruation, stress, whatever), but our reactions are all very similar. As others have said, it's reassuring to find this forum and hear from others struggling with the same problem.

I've been having these episodes off and on for years, but lately it's gotten worse in that it has affected my work. (I am 54 and well past menopause, although I recall a few episodes over the years that were menstruation-related -- especially if I drank a large amount of fruit juice while on my period.)

One difference from what others are reporting: It sounds like most of you recover pretty quickly after the bout of diarrhea and some rest. For me, the dizziness and diarrhea may last on and off for a day or two, interfering with work and especially driving. Do any of you have the prolonged dizziness?

Also, has anyone found any effective over-the-counter remedies? I'm using Kaopectate, which helps get the diarrhea under control, which in turn reduces the dizziness, etc.

Anyway, thanks again to all. I'll stay tuned, and also post more if I learn anything useful.

Iv had a similar problem when I was a teenage ... not to sure if it's the same thing that you all were experiencing?!
When I was 14 years old I started getting these awful stomach aches in the middle of the night. The pain was unbelievable! I would go into the bathroom & as gross as this sounds, I had major diarrhea. After that I would lay on the floor pretty much sweating, then get really cold like I had the chills but still felt warm to the touch. Everything would go black for a couple seconds, but I would never black out or faint. This would happen every single night. I couldn't eat anything before I went to bed or drink water as it made it worse. After months of this happening I decided to cut out all Meat, Fish, some Dairy, Junk Food, Fast Food ect ... The stomach problems went away. I still have to be careful what & how much I eat. Iv never went to the doctor or really told anyone about this, but have always wondered what was wrong with me. I have done so much research on the Internet & haven't found anything close to what I was going through till I came across this form. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be .... Links or info??
Just found this website. As i typed in the search words i was thinking, what are the chances that there would be others suffering the same symptoms. I am amazed that i am not alone and that it scares the hell out of everyone else also. I have had these exact episodes on and off for the last 5 years- the most recent 3 days ago. They always start with unbearable stomach cramps that come in waves. I always go and sit on the toilet knowing it will end there, but have to go through the most terrifying ordeal first. It begins with a sudden feeling of cold that starts at my feet and moves up my whole body. Then i begin to sweat profusely and feel like i will pass out. I get weak, can't even hold my own head up, can't speak, my hands cramp and i can't move them. This can last for anywhere up to 20 minutes and every time i think i am going to die. It starts to go once i can pass a motion that is nearly always diarrhea. It almost feels like something gets blocked. Would love to know why this happens so i could prevent it, i'm scared.
Hi Everyone,
So relieved to have found other people experiencing the stomach episodes as me! Nobody else understands how painful and frightening these episodes are ... truly does feel like we're dying when it happens.

I've been having this problem (sudden onset of excruciating stomach pains, weakness, having to wait to pass BM, then extremely liquidy, burning diarrhea) since I was a little girl (I'd say about 8 years old). Then when I was 17, I had my first onset of fainting (I believe it is vasovagal syncope) and now practically every episode I am about to faint, although now I can stop myself from actually passing out when I sense it coming (doesn't make the experience any less disturbing though). I am now almost 23 years old, I've gone about 4 years without any episodes, but recently they've started up again.

When I was a girl I used to frequenty have these episodes when I was around my extended family (stress?), eating out (almost always with italian food, heavy in gluten and dairy, and acidic tomatoes), and plain boxed spaghetti with tomato sauce and parm cheese. But now I've been living in Italy for 9 months without problems, except until last week (and I wasn't in Holland at the time of the attack). Now that I'm older though, the problem has become less frequent, but more commonly occuring with foods I eat all the time (especially when I was in college, restricted to dining hall food).

Here are some key links I've noticed that I think should be explored by any doctors out there:

1) I believe there is a link between constipation and these episodes. I notice my episodes are usually proceeded by the inability to pass a BM, and resolved with almost purely liquid diarrhea.
2) Vasovagal syncope is NOT sufficient to describe all the symptoms, only the symptoms associated with weakness/fainting. It is the constipation and diarrhea that is the underlying problem. I've virtually never had an episode of fainting or weakness without first experiencing the excruciating stomach pains.
3) I believe stress and diet to be a strong factor. Perhaps there is some threshold for our intake of dairy, gluten, MSG, and this threshold could be lowered drastically during periods of stress.

Like many of you, I have seen a GI specialist, took a whole battery of tests (blood, stool, etc but not food allergy). All test were negative. He also thought I was exaggerating the pain. I had a slightly elevated amount of something in my blood, which often indicates lactose intolerance. GI performed a follow-up test to this though, so result was negative for lactose intolerance. His diagnosis was that I was constipated and fainting from too much pressure on my vasovagal nerve.

I'm finding it hard to believe that a food allergy alone can account for our symptoms, as I've gone years without an episode while eating all kinds of sh*t. I also have experienced from extreme stress in college, while eating terribly, and still have not had episodes, although I was on antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds at the time (I have lots of anxiety).

Starting to think the best solution may be to keep hydrated, eat foods that promote regular bowel movements, avoid too much dairy (and maybe gluten and MSG), especially during stressful times. It's possible anti anxiety and antidepressants may help as well? It may be a coincidence, but I've never had an episode while on these medications.

Is there a doctor/nurse/pharmacist out there who can give me some feedback on this?

I have been having these attacks since I was 20.....I'm now 46.  I have always called them hot flashes, for lack of knowing what else to call them.  I have also told my doctor about this, and she has always said it's probably just hormones.  There have been times when I've gone for a couple of years without having them.  And for the first few years, I thought I was just gonna burn up.....often wondered if this what it felt like to spontaneously combust.  I have always been afraid of having one in public, or at work, because the sweating gets so intense, and I feel like I'm going to vomit and pass out, and just burn up, and I strip my clothes off and beg to be fanned.  They pass pretty quickly.  But my boyfriend (of 15 years) also runs to my side when he hears me start moaning in the bathroom in the middle of the night, because he has seen me pass out a number of times.  One time, I felt one coming on and I had to get to the bathroom quick (in the middle of the night, of course).  So I jumped up out of bed and started to running to the bathroom.  I only made it to the end of the bed until I passed out.  My poor dog......there was she was peacefully sleeping, then all of sudden I landed on her and she couldn't move.  A few seconds later I came to, and made it to the  bathroom, where I again passed out.  These "spell" are ALWAYS accompanied by stomach cramps and major diahrea (gross).  When I was younger, I was telling some older ladies (in their 40s) about my hot flashes, and they basically laughed at me and told me I was crazy...I was too young to have hot flashes.  I knew they were different, because I never heard women who had hot flashes describe feeling like they were gonna die, or passing out.  I'm at that age now where I get those...*****.  But they're nothing compared to what I've been having since I was 20.
I have read almost all of these posts! So relieved I am not alone with dealing with these unbearable attacks. I am 22 years old and my first attack was in 2008. Even though it scared me I didn't think to go see a doctor about it. I've only had about 4-5 episodes since 2008 but one that occurred in March of 2010 sent me to the hospital. I told the doctor about the horrible cramps, sweating, dizziness, and then the bowel movement. Before the attack I ate a small piece of cheesecake and drank a coke. Turns out I had a bladder infection, which blew my mind. Don't know if the bladder infection caused the attack seeing as it was the only time I had a bladder infection. Haven't seen a doctor since but I will begin a food diary and see if anything I eat causes an attack. Have yet to have an attack in the past year (cross my fingers) but every time I have any kind of stomach pain I am terrified it will lead to me almost fainting, and having the painful cramps. Don't know if anyone else can relate, but sometimes before having a bowel movement I experience cramps that make me freeze in place because it is so painful. It never leads to the dizziness, or sweating though.
Yes, I still get them.....4 or 5 times a year now.  They don't always lead to passing out.  In fact, I haven't passed out in probably six months now.
I want to thank everyone for the comments they've made on this forum. I'm sorry that so many of you have experienced this problem but I'm also happy to know that I 'm not the only person in the world with this. It's a terrible thing to hurt so bad that you literally pass out but that's exactly what has happened to me on several occasions in my life.
I can agree with so many of you on the symptoms that you describe and the fears that many of you have that one of these attacks could happen in public. This fear has caused me to avoid any group travels on vans, bus etc. for fear I might have an attack. I'm sure some of you have the same fear.
I had an attack this morning and I found this thread while looking up the symptoms that usually accompanies my syncope attacks hoping to find a certain specific diagnosis of some sort. I can relate to many of the posts here but I'm a bit surprised that it's one of those ambiguous undiagnosable conditions since I've always thought that these conditions were pretty common since my mother also gets these attacks. And just when I thought that it's about time i got a check up, I'm considering not going for one after what I've read, because it's pretty annoying (and worrying) when doctors just have no idea what you're talking about..

I have had similar experiences (the painful cramps, dizziness, nausea, sweating, coldness, diarrhea and fear of dying right then and there) since I was around 13 ( I am now 22 years old) and I get them about once or twice every 2 to 3 years and fainting accompanies most but not all of my episodes.
I've always thought it was related to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) although I am not diabetic, consuming a spoon of sugar or anything sweet like a piece of chocolate when the symptoms come about prevents the fainting and blurriness and helps me regain more consciousness in general but it doesn't stop all the other things (cramps, nausea, coldness, weakness, need to go to the toilet..etc)  . And i usually feel better after a BM (and sometimes with vomiting) but the cramps can sometimes continue for another 20 minutes. An attack usually occurs shortly after I wake and sometimes the cramps start while I'm a sleep.
I'm considering the food allergy theory although I think it's very unlikely in my case since my attacks seem happen randomly regardless of what I've consumed, but i'll still try to find a link since it could be a possibility.
In my condition I think it's more related to an infection or hindered bowel movement but I'm not completely sure and I'm still looking more into this.
So glad forums like these exist. Fair warning, people have told me that I have no tact in situations like this and tend to be too graphic, but I digress.

Woke up at 3am just about an hour ago, and after feeling the inital rush, ran to my friends bathroom (stayed the night here because it was late when we came back from an event) sat down and after much pain and profuse flushing of my face to the point it felt like it was burning, I passed a standard plop of poo...and then the deluge of diarrhea behind it. The smell was worse then any smell I've ever smelt (and I've smelled Pluto water) and it just seemed to keep coming. The only saving grace was that with every wave my flushed face seemed to calm down some. After 20-30 minutes, and 4 flushings, Recently I also had a situation that felt similar, and I thought it was just gas because nothing happened. Both times the only thing similar was I'd taken some allergy medicine...I hate spring...but is it possible to be allergic to allergy medicine? and so suddenly after taking it for so many years?
Here is my experience, which sounds very similar to every post I have read, only I have never passed out.  I get a very bad pain in my stomach and pelvic area, then about 15 minutes after this pain starts, I need to go to the bathroom.  It usually takes a while, but eventually I have a BM which turns into diarrhea.  It is not pleasant at all.  Then I need to go lay down because I feel worn out and light headed.  Sometimes one trip to the bathroom does it, but many times I have three or four trips before I feel somewhat better.  It is so frustrating because I have these episodes sporadically so I have not been able to pinpoint a specific cause.  I always make myself get through them because I have a fear of going to the hospital or seeing my doctor. (Would rather suffer at my own house and bathroom.)

This has turned into an anxiety issue because I don't want to be caught in public when this happens.  I take Xanax .5 mg as needed for the anxiety part and seem to rely on Immodium to 'control' myself so that I don't have an attack in public.
I really would love an answer to this issue.  I have seen a nutritionist who said I had wheat intolerance and have been trying a wheat free diet for almost a month now.  It seems to be better, but I had an attack two days ago after eating a salad from McDonald's.  I think it may have been a touch of food poisoning, but the pain and diarrhea were unbelievable.  I still have cramping today, two days after eating the salad.  I even had some blood pass in my stool.  I just want to feel normal again!!  I have had sensitive stomach for as long as I can remember, but the cramping and diarrhea have gotten worse in the last two years or so.
Any and all advice would be helpful!!!
please help me! I'm a 15 year old girl and i experienced a stomach cramp followed by loss of vision and a cold sweat. I then drank some water and threw up.  This was followed by diarrhea....what could be wrong?
I have had all the symptons being described but I can narrow the attacks down to the 1st day of my period after a night of drinking. I had a friend take me to the hospital and all that was diagnosed was dehydration. It has happend a 2 or 3 times for the past 9 years, starting in my early 20's. It scares me to read some of the articles and realize it can get worse. For now I have just tried to avoid alcohol consumption if I know I am starting my period. The problem is sometimes I get my period early and the damage is already done. I wish someone had a solution to what is happening to our bodies to cause this problem.
I have also had these same issues Friday I ate A LOT of soy sauce on stir fry I mad at home. Sat night went out drinking and then ate a few pieces of Chinese food when i got home and woke up violently at 430 am to use the bathroom, dizzy and sweating then chills. I went to the bathroom stumbled up the stairs blind and sat back down and felt fine after. I still have stomach pain and it is now Sunday night. I think this could be MSG related due to the large amount of soy sauce I had and don't normally have.
I have all the symptoms listed above since I was about 12.  I haven't discovered any definite pattern but some clues.  A lot of times it happens in the evening or the middle of the night.  I have had it hit at times at the end of a week away from home.  I think there is a combo of things probably causing it.  I had a doctor tell me one time that it was from ovarian cysts rupturing.  He said the fluid irritates the intestines causing the above mentioned symptoms.  There are times it has happened that I don't think that are related to that but a feeling that it was somehow connected to something I ate.  What I have found that works best for me is the minute I feel the pain start I take Ibprofun to knock the edge off the pain ... it doesn't take away the symptoms it just makes it seem survivable.
I am just "recovering" from this horrible "episode" as i type this...

I am a 23 year old female. I have NEVER had this happen to me before until tonight(at 12:30am EDT exactly, it is not 1AM EDT).

I felt fine all day and i ate things i eat normally.

At about 12:00am i started to have mild abdominal pains...my period is due in a few days so i thought it was simply period cramping as i sometimes get.

Well...at about 12:20 the pain was becoming unbearable. Nothing like i'd ever felt with a simple period cramp!

Breathing and movement of any kind was painful...then about 12:30 i felt the need to have a BM so i began the PAINFUL/doubled-over walk to the bathroom. As i sat and waited...i began to feel VERY Dizzy...i then became nauseous (but did not vomit) and disoriented/confused and started to sweat ALOT and felt like i was on fire...and idk if anyone else mentioned this but i somewhat went deaf...i could hear, but everything was muffled...i became VERY close to fainted, though i didn't. The whole time it was like my entire body was in severe pain...kinda hard to describe if you've never experienced it...but i LITERALLY thought i was about to die, i was terrified! I started to slowly get my hearing back and started feeling less dizzy and i managed to have a BM (not diarrhea, but not very firm stool either..)...after the BM i started to go back to normal, except i was VERY, VERY cold feeling (still am in my hands and feet) and was VERY shakey (still am slightly)...

I searched for the symptoms and found this website, glad i am not alone...

I pray this never happens to me, or anyone else, again! It is HORRIBLE.  :[

I'm a 47 yr. old female.

I started having these same issues about 10 years ago.(though I do recall this happening sometimes on a smaller scale when growing up)..It happens several times a year. I have actually fainted on several occasions but have learned how to avoid it by not ignoring the "feeling".

Like on Sunday...I was on my way to do a bit of shopping in the afternoon when the familiar hot flashes and stomach cramp started. I had to sit in a parking lot for a few minutes because I felt faint. So with windows down and ac going I relaxed a bit and headed home. My husband said "That was a quick trip" as I told him I was having potty issues. Needless to say, I spent the next 30 minutes in the bathroom with several bouts of diarrhea (and him at the door every 5 minutes to make sure I wasn't fainting). First, not much happens but as soon as you stand and try to walk a bit, then it comes. (As mentioned above, the muffled feeling and dizzyness with hot flashing all together just at the verge of fainting). And the smell was making me gag!!!!!!!!!!

Usually, I"ll feel pretty much back to normal after a couple of hours. Though on Sunday, I felt out of sorts the rest of the day and night.  My blood pressure dropped to 98/52 with pulse of 49 in the evening and was started to feel as if I would faint. This was probably due to dehydration or electrolyte imbalance. Plus I'm on Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/25 for high blood pressure.

I don't know about anyone else but normally I tend to be constipated with BM's about 3 a week and typically hard stool. My thinking is that after awhile maybe it gets backed up to a point where all hell just has to break loose!!!
It is nice to know that there is other people having these problems (sorry I know how you feel literally!!)
  I'm a 22 y/o female
This all started when I was about 18 years old I was out in the field on a military exercise my stomach had been bothering me for a few days, I felt bloated and having bowel movements the pain hadn't started yet but I lost my feel for an appetite with a quickness. I couldn't eat hardly, everything was just adding to wishy washy feeling I was having in my stomach, almost felt like someone could take a pin and pop it literally. Finally later that day I was eatting my dinner speghetti I couldn't even finish the meal i was up running to the bathroom the pain was unbearable I was bawling my eyes out clenching my stomach which sounded like a war zone going off with all the gurgling and turning that was going on. I went to the hospital had a CT scan done where they checked for god only knows what. I was perscribed vicadin to help with the pain and help constipate me, it didn't work. I lived off a block of cheese literally for 2 weeks I lost over 10 LBS. I could not eat anything besides cheese I could not finish a meal before having to run to the bathroom and literally pooping it out some of the food was not even digested it just went right through my system and my stool was black. I can no longer eat steak for that is one thing that always triggers it not even 10 minutes after eatting it. Doctors have no answers just drugs to mask the pain, which don't work I just want relief! It is embarrassing when you lose control of your bodily functions, I had have to have my husband literally pull over on the side of the road to let me out so I can have a horrible BM. It is heart breaking that there are no answers for this, for I know mine is not a food allergy it happens with random things I eat period! I thought I had discovered the cause that steak was my issue (I'm not a huge meat eater to begin with) but no just one thing to add to this long list. when I became pregnant though it seemed my prayers were answered, no episodes in months I was happy and care free again until it started when I was pregnant except my diarrhea had all of a sudden turned lime green, I immediately became freaked out. The nurses said as long as I was hydrated they weren't really concerned, said it might be my prenatal vitamins... It made no sense to me on why it would be my prenatal viatmins I'd had bowl movements before just fine and they were not green. My doctor told me to cut out milk from my diet just milk which i did and it worked. I'm no longer pregnant drink milk all the time with cereal no problems so I don't understand!
Proctalgia fugax
Proctalgia fugax is a severe, cramp-like pain, deep in the anal canal. It usually lasts for a few seconds or minutes, but can sometimes last for up to half an hour. Between attacks there is no pain at all. Most sufferers have only 5 or 6 attacks a year. You may feel a need to defecate urgently, but nothing happens. It may even make you feel dizzy, or give you a headache. It occurs in both men and women. The pain often wakes sufferers at night, and men may have an erection at the same time. Some men experience it after sex. It is a mysterious condition; no one knows what causes it, but it is probably a spasm of the rectal or pelvic floor muscles and does not mean that you have anything seriously wrong. There are various methods of relieving the pain.
•Try putting pressure on the perineum (the area between the back passage and the vagina or base of the penis) by sitting on the edge of your bath or on a tennis ball.
•Sit in hot water or, alternatively, apply some ice.
•Two paracetamol tablets and a hot drink may give some relief.
The problem with medications for proctalgia fugax is that the episode is likely to be over before the drugs become active, but medication might be worth trying if your attacks last a long time. The usual treatment is the asthma drug salbutamol, inhaled from a puffer at the start of the attack (Gastroenterology 2006;130:1510–8). This is only available on prescription, for which you would need to see your doctor.

Maybe a suggestion
I am 61 years old and have had problems with IBS most of my life. As a young girl I had a very sensitive nervous stomach and would often have cramps and diarrhea when on a trip with my family. Through the years I've had some embarrassing moments at work (I did a lot of temp work which was probably not a good thing for someone with my condition).  
As the years have gone by, I started having less cramping and pain with my diarrhea so it wasn't as traumatic but sometimes I would go to the bathroom thinking I just needed to pee and was suddenly surprised.
About a year ago, I had an incident where I was in bed trying to go to sleep and suddenly felt nauseated and thought I was going to vomit so I rushed to the bathroom. Then I became pale as a ghost and started sweating profusely. I felt bloated and had the need to burp to relieve the pressure in my stomach. I felt like I was going to faint and was so distressed by it all that I woke my husband and told him I thought I was having a heart attack. I finally sat on the toilet for awhile and didn't really have diarrhea but did have a loose bowel movement. I was able to get back to bed still feeling faint and was so exhausted I fell asleep.
I thought that would never happen again but last Sunday I'd had a really good day and was getting ready to make dinner when I suddenly felt sick and ran to the bathroom. It comes on very quickly for me and after going through the same scenario as the first time I climbed in bed because I was freezing cold and instantly fell asleep.  After a total of a couple hours, I felt fine but was still exhausted.
I was going to go to the doctor but after reading some of your comments, I realize there is no fast and easy explanation for this condition. I thought maybe I had a blockage in my bowels because my left side hurt and made a lot of noise but now I'm just trying to be careful about what I eat and especially how much I eat at a time.
I hope someone can find an answer for this because I'm really worried if this happens at work or while I'm driving my car.  Good luck to everyone!
I'm 27 yo female, this has been happening to me for about 10 years.(though I remember a few times even when I was a kid). The attacks are more frequent now. Usually 1 bad attack every couple months ( my last on just an hour ago), also several smaller ones per week. Often it's first thing in the AM. I've never fainted but I've come close. Sweating, shaking, lightheaded, ears ringing,  even my vision becomes blurred.  I've yet to see a Gastro...
The attack I just had happened within 5 minutes if eating a bowl of pasta w/ marinara and drinking some dr. Pepper.
Strange thing, it also happened the same to me about 24 hours ago.
I'm male, 25, skinny, play a lot of sports and I eat a lot (no food restrictions or food allergies that I'm aware of).
I was eating chicken with plenty of sour cream and soup powder over it (freshly oven-made) and watching tv.

While getting a forkful of meat down my mouth I suddenly felt nausea starting in my esophagus then spreading to my stomach (I initially thought it was a big chunk of meat I swallowed). But then the nausea seemed to spread to allover my body. The only thing I had time to do was to move away my dish, cross my arms and put down my head in the table.

I started to see everything darker, and I thought I was about to faint, but then it got worse. Instead of fainting, the pain on my whole body increased exponentially and it almost seemed to me that my heart was about to stop beating. I was cursing myself for having forgotten my cellphone at my room and not getting it in time when I started to feel nauseous (I was home-alone).

At this moment I really felt like I was going to DIE there (the debility of my whole body was the worst one I can recall... I got seriously ill with Malaria 4 years ago, I fully recovered from it but I know even the pain I had wasn't so bad compared to this one...).
However, as suddenly as the nausea came, a sort of a big wave of sweat came right after this collapse. I was sweating a lot, feeling all my clothes going wet, and just like that I could move my body again! I just pressed the air conditioner button at the wall near me, while still sitting on the chair. I laid my head down again and the pain started to fade.
The cold helped a lot alleviating everything!

I was up about 10 minutes later and lost all my appetite. Even now I don't want to eat the rest of that chicken.

I only had ONE SINGLE EPISODE before this one about a month ago. I was standing in the kitchen and I just had tasted a bit of risotto with plenty of cheese in it. When I was about to take another bite, I saw everything dark and then I woke up in the floor with people trying to raise me up... my hands were shaking a lot.
I thought this happened due to a concussion I may had had in sports just 3 days before this happened (my face was a bit numb 1 day after the concussion). I went to the hospital, they did me blood analysis, thorax and head scans and told me I had nothing abnormal (I was sent home a few hours later with a note to my nearest/family doctor to send me to ER again if I showed up any concussion symptoms again).

In these two episodes I had no signs of intestinal problems or any will to go to the bathroom (no diarrhea... maybe because I'm having a mild constipation lately...).

I saw two related discussion with similar symptoms in this site:
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/show/12288/Atrial-fibrillation-flutter

But this one seems to be the most accurate and related one:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Undiagnosed-Symptoms/I-HAVE-AN-ANSWER/show/1111313

And I'm starting to think that this may really be the answer: an allergy to a cheese/sour cream component (in my case).
I don't believe it's lactose solely because I drink milk everyday at breakfast.
However, I'm eager to try that chicken again just to check out that that was the problem.

I'll be posting in here later... I hope.
Hi again, today I ate the same chicken with sour cream (refrigerated the same dish and heated up in the microwave) that I thought it caused this body collapse... It didn't do me a thing this time... In fact, the sour cream tasted better. I also practiced sports today before eating and accidentally I received a strong impact in my head from my teammate, the pain faded and I'm fine now.

Therefore allergy issues may not be the answer... At least for me. However, I don't discard the hypothesis completely, I'm still wondering if highly heated dairy products (derived from milk) may facilitate an allergic reaction. I don't believe it's caused by an intestinal problem either, but who knows? Medic analysis don't show up anything relevant.

A big puzzle is what this thing is for me at the moment.

The only good and USEFUL INFOrmation I can provide now is:
> You will know when this thing is coming, you will feel a NAUSEA like no other (if you remember your last seasickness, you can find similarities, but in a few seconds you'll find it completely distinct)
> DO NOT MOVE AROUND to avoid immediate fainting - SIT/LAY DOWN on the same spot you are is the best thing you can do to minimize the collapse and avoid knocking your head or other parts somewhere
> CALL SOMEONE immediately or make noise(s) if you don't feel like screaming, or if you're alone be sure to have your cellphone near
> After the intense sweat:
>> Ask for WARM or TEPID WATER (I forgot to mention in the other post, when I had those 2 episodes with intense sweats I drank a lot of water after them and the nausea diminished a lot, in the first episode I was given cold water and in the second one tepid water - I recovered a lot faster in the latter), if you're alone rest a while before trying to get it by yourself
>> Get some COLD AIR on you (DON'T TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OFF, you'll cool down faster with your wet clothes and you'll start to feel much better after this)
>> People may tell you that you're pale and suggest you to eat something. If you do NOT feel like eating, then DON'T EAT, it will only aggravate the nausea (my first episode where I fainted). I didn't try ingesting sugar (or drinks with sugar), but I didn't feel like drinking anything besides water in my last episode
>> Have plenty of REST and the next day you may forgot that this thing ever happened to you
>>> However, it may be useful to WRITE DOWN symptoms and what you've experienced to identify posterior episodes (help your doctor help you) and somehow prevent consequences from them

Hope this will be helpful for any of you... I'm hoping you won't need to
I would also be interested to read more details from your episodes specially:
> What you've eaten that day
> Your physical condition or anything that you think that's associated to the collapse
> What were you doing before the collapse
> How long did it take to get yourself OK after it
> Could you prevent any episode/symptom from happening? How?

Thanks and don't worry, be happy :)
Wow - this is pretty amazing.  I've been dealing with this since my teens (now 34) and just chalked it up to a quirk of my body (I used to think it was my bodies way of cleansing itself once in a while!).  Sorry to hear all of you have to go through this terrible event but somewhat relieved i'm not alone.  I probably get 2 episodes give or take per year.  Pretty much spot on with what the rest of you describe.  I've never passed out but I turn white as a ghost and lose about 10 lbs in sweat every time.  My episodes last for ~15/20 minutes and always terminate with a bowel movement (or two).  Of which - I immediately feel normal right after the bowel movement (well, wiped-out but not like i'm on my deathbed).  95% of them happen at night.  I have felt it to be related to a particular food i've just never been able to pinpoint it.  My "best-guess" is drinking milk right before bed.  I did have chinese takeout yesterday though and have not had that for probably a year.  I would probably consider myself "very healthy" by most standards...i run/excercise a lot and generally eat very healthy.  Best of luck to all everyone dealing with this.
So it was my turn this morning to suffer from one of these attacks.  I have had these attacks now for many years but tend to have them only a few times a year.  This mornings attack was a little different with new symptoms.  Had the usual painful cramps, sweating from head to toe, feeling faint and of course ended up on the bathroom floor praying this would be over soon.  Here's what happend that is new...before making it to the bathroom I heard and felt intense "grumbling" for about an hour or so before I had to go to the bathroom and after I was in the bathroom I felt a prickly feeling in both my hands and feet which I had never felt before.  I hate these attacks and wish someone had an answer for all of us
Wow...I will reiterate what others have said and say I am relieved I am not alone in this seriously bizarre bowel movement experience, but I am genuinely concerned that there is no "cure" or even "official diagnosis" for this.
I just turned 30 10 days ago, I'm female, and have a myriad of health issues: fibromyalgia, mild asthma from sept. 11th, a non-cancerous small brain tumor from a hormonal imbalance, high blood pressure, severe anemia, vit-D deficiency, and poly cystic ovarian syndrome [which causes the hormonal imbalances and can present as diabetes.] Did I mention myriad? I am on several medications for all of these "health issues": tramadol and zanaflex for the fibro, nothing anymore for the asthma, cabergoline [dostinex] for the tumor, spironolactone for the HBP, slow-fe for the anemia, 2300mcg of vit-D supplements/day, metformin for the PCOS, and a multivitamin.
And, I just finished having the 2nd of these gastro-attacks, in as many days, for the first time in my life about 2 1/2 hours ago. I get most of the same symptoms as everyone else: abdominal pressure that first presents as a need to defecate, then extreme abdominal pain - here is when I am on the toilet trying to poo and a little bit of diarrhea comes out, but tiny little plops and a lot of gas, no smell just air pressure, followed by even more "please someone just kill me now" pain, breaking out into a cold sweat, nausea but no vomiting, vision diminishing - no black spots more like seeing stars and going white, my hearing muffles like someone slowly put cotton in my ears, a little more diarrhea comes out, then I feel like I'm ready for the lord to take me on to glory [and I'm not even religious, that's just how terrible the pain feels] and then WHAM! it's over. The vision carefully comes clear, same with the hearing, the pain is over, the nausea is gone, I'm exhausted from the exertion and the pain, but other than feeling gross and sweaty, I'm fine.
As I said, this is only the 2nd time this has happened to me, the 1st was yesterday. With all of my myriad of health "issues" , I had originally assumed that what I was experiencing could be attributed, first and foremost, to the fibromyalgia - it's not a condition that is just muscular pain and weakness; it encompasses migraines, IBS, constipation, severe and debilitating fatigue, hearing loss, balance issues, vision issues, forgetfulness, confusion, nausea, skin, light, and food sensitivities, etc. I thought - yesterday - that I was just having a bad IBS flare up, since my fibro's been killing me lately. But after this one - which woke me up from a dead sleep at 2:22AM EST, the 1st one happened in the early afternoon when I was already home sick from work from a bad migraine, back pain, and overwhelming fatigue - I realized something was really wrong. Although I didn't pass out, I felt like I could have fainted. I was crying and moaning like I was going to die, and as terrible as the fibro pain can get [I now regularly have "atypical migraines" that make me feel like I am having a stroke, but I'm not. I went to the ER the 1st time that joyous experience occurred and was thoroughly checked out.] it's never
EVER been this bad.
So as soon as I "got off the pot" and wiped myself down with a wet towel to get most of the sweat off - yesterday I stood up and took a shower, but tonight I was still too weak for all of that - I got online and started looking up well-known GI-tract diseases/conditions, because I figured - knowing how awesome my body is - I probably now have Crohn's disease to go along with everything else I'm suffering through. But, from the National Institute of Digestive Health [I think I'm missing some of their title - but a well-respected medical body dedicated to GI-health issues] this weird episode couldn't be explained as Crohn's, or really IBS either. So I typed in my symptoms instead of a specific condition name and good 'ole Google filled in the rest for me in the search box before I could even finish typing and this site came up. I am flabbergasted that so many of us have this, but no one has a definitive specific cause that is medically-official. But, from reading the rest of the posts I might need to go with a sodium allergy?
I'm supposed to be on a super-restrictive diet with all the crap my body has going on, but the Metformin has a side-effect of anorexia so sometimes I just don't eat and a lot of the awesome organic vegan food I used to eat regularly grosses me out - so if something strikes my fancy at that moment and I feel like eating, if it's not too terrible, I'll just eat it. This, obviously, leads to a not very healthy diet. But I'm trying. The only thing I can think that ties the two episodes together -  because the dairy I consumed on both days was either well after or well before the attacks - is sodium. For the 1st time in a long time, I had 1/3-1/2 can of watered down soup - to cut the sodium content, maybe not enough? - for dinner last night and I had 2 slices of fake-bacon, the soy kind, also for the 1st time in a long time, with my typical non-gastro-attack-causing blueberry waffles for breakfast on the day of the 1st one - and I know that both of those foods are loaded with sodium.
But honestly, I just don't know. All I do know is that this isn't right nor is this normal or something any of us should just put up with. I am planning to move in a couple months and I do have some anxiety about it because it's a nearly cross country move and there are a lot of last ends I need to tie up first - not to mention, trying to find a new job, a new place to live, giving notice at my work, etc.; so if it's anxiety-related I wouldn't be surprised. But, in the fact that I've been hella-more anxiety ridden in my life before now and I never had one of these attacks, I just don't know. Maybe it's a side effect of the meds? I'll ask my rheumatologist and my endocrinologist, maybe they'll give some insight. For now, I'm going to pray this never happens again, because this was one of the worst health experiences I've gone through and I had to have emergency surgery twice when cysts wrapped around my ovaries; I was in so much pain I had to have an ambulance rush me to the hospital. This was easily 5 times worse than that. I don't think I can make it through one of these things again. The fact that so many of you have suffered through them for years scares the ever-loving-crap outta me, no pun intended. I'm wishing all of us good health and and good answers. And if you figure it out, let us know - I'll do the same.
WOW...this forum is crazy, I really cant believe how simular the stories are. Ive read comments 1-200 and it feels like you are all telling my story.

I am a 27 year old woman, In 2006 I was diagnosed with Endometriosis, I found this out when I had a cyst on my ovary which burst...the pain was intense. Ive had further cysts and adhesions and the pain has always been bad. So when I experienced pain when needing a BM I have always just linked it with my Endo....doctors have always said the same and have never looked into. So I just plodded on.........

However, the pain when needing a BM got far worse, I get severe cramping/stabbing pain all in my tummy and lower back, I go really hot but feel cold, I feel like I cant breathe and Im going to die...as crazy as that sounds. I have never fainted but I feel like I am, sometimes I have to lie down on the bathroom floor or run a really hot bath (even at 2.30 in the morning) I remember being on holiday abroad in 2008 and having this pain and the over-whelming urge to go to the toilet, the pain gets so bad I find it hard to walk, it drains me of all of my energy, all I want to do is lie down. I had to be carried back to my room.  
Again on holiday in April this year, in this country, I suddenly had the cramp which told me I needed the toilet, so off I went, however by the time id reached the toilet I was feeling so much worse, faint, hot and sweaty, the cramps were unbearable...like child birth. I was on absoulate agony :-( I had a very fast BM and felt like I was going to faint, I remember slumping down in the toilet cubicle, then telling myself I had to get up and get help as I knew I couldnt stay there. Like a miracle I saw my 6 yr old daughter as I got into the reception area, as I fell to the floor because a massive cramp rippled through my body I managed to call her. She went and got help. Again I was carried to the car and taken back to the holiday home. It was agony. During this episode I had about 4-5 BMs.

During an episode, it can last anywhere between 20-60 minutes.
I have them often, sometimes weekly, other times can go a month or two?
I would say ive been suffering now for nearly 10 years, and ive only just gone to see my GP, as my endometriosis is now under control so I have been able to rule out that as an issue, i now know there is something wrong.....but what?!?!?????
It is so good to hear that I am not the only one, I just wish I knew what to do.My GP has said it could be IBS or A Wheat intolerance, so for the past week ive cut out wheat, however this morning I experience exactly the same pain as I have descibed above.
I wish I knew what it was we are all suffering from?
Thank you everyone for writing your experiences it has really helped me
I think a food intolerance could be the reason for some of these attacks. I am lactose intolerant and find if i get slack with watching what i eat i get alot of stomach cramping. I never have milk(only lactose free), cream. ice-cream, custards, etc, but even a piece of chocolate can upset my stomach, so i have now been choc-free for 5 weeks and am very careful of what i eat to see if this makes a difference. I will do anything to avoid these attacks. I also suffer from colitis which was diagnosed through a colonoscopy 2 years ago but really don't think it is related as i was having these attacks long before then. I know some people have mentioned that anxiety medication may help but i have taken that for the last 10 years and don't feel this is of any benefit. Just throwing some thoughts and ideas out there as we are all in the dark about this and hopefully someone out there may benefit.
Wow, so good to find other people who have experienced the "night terror", though I am sorry you all have.  Its horrible, and everyone has described the horrible symptoms, so I will refrain, but it is very scary.
I have read most of the posts, and it does seem that MSG seems to be a common denominator.  Someone had eaten packaged dry soup, soup powder, ritz crackers, all these contain MSG.  This has happened to me about 5 times in the last ten yrs, and the first time I had eaten egg drop soup.  I also noticed I had been lying flat on my back before the episodes (from hell they are).  The reaction to the MSG perhaps triggers the vasovagal response that some have mentioned.  Someone needs to do some SERIOUS research on this problem, and give some solutions, and lets make them get rid of MSG and all the other pseudo-names it hides behind, or at least be honest about the foods containing it.  God bless you all, may we never have this problem again!!!
Like everyone here, this is intermittent for me. I'm a 28 yr/old male and  I just had an attack last night for the first time in about 2 years.  I think I've only had about 3 in 8 years and some that never became full-blown.  Mine are slightly different however.

It starts with an easy BM, which is notable because I tend to be constipated.  Then there will be this shooting pain in the rectal area, I use to get in the bathtub and run warm water down my backside and it would help it to subside.  This time I got in a hot shower immediately.  The pain continued but turned into this horrible light-headed, I'm going to puke feeling and losing control of my body.  
I knew I was going to faint if it continued.  I didn't know what to do.  I didn't want to call out for reasons I was naked in there.   I laid down on the bathroom floor, but as I didn't pass out, I got back up in the shower.  The hot water seemed to be making it worse so I sat down on the toilet and focused on breathing evenly.  Like others here, I felt really really awful and at one point I thought I might die.  I just prayed and breathed slowly and eventually it passes.
I wrote down everything that I ate today, and I'm thinking the dairy allergy might have something to it.  It always begins with the pain down below so perhaps that is the nerve others referred to.  It's a relief to know others have suffered this as well but...I don't want anyone to suffer this!

I have known that I am allergic to dairy but I'm pretty lax about avoiding it because it doesn't affect my sinuses or mucus all that much.  But I did have cereal with milk in the morning, grilled cheese at night, a smoothie for lunch along with an italian flatbread from Starbucks that also had cheese in it.  I'm going to investigate if any of these foods have MSG because I am allergic to it too! But usually symptoms manifest in the form of migraines.  I will keep making a food log,  seeing as this occurs so rarely but regularly there has to be something special about my recent diet.

The first time I experienced this was while working at McDonalds and my diet was horrible, I was only eating thttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/Undiagnosed-Symptoms/Stomach-Cramp--Diarrhea--sweating---light-headedness-and-fainting/show/202820#heir food and their pies for breakfast.  After that I started preparing food at home, and I hate eating there.

God Bless everyone,  I hope we can uncover the truth together - I'll do my part :)
Same symptoms/episodes -morning for me.  I recently had a Glucose Tolerance Test (with Insulin) and although the results came back pretty normal, my doc said I am hypoglycemic. He thinks these episodes are from a carb (sugar) intolerance. Any one else heard that? I've been trying to cut back on carbs, still had an episode 2 days ago.  I eat very healthy (no MSG), keep a food journal, and still can't figure this out. Water usually helps me during these episodes. I drink about 5-7 glasses until I feel better. Are our bodies dehydrated? How is everyone else on water intake?
This thread is such a relief. You are all describing something that's happened to me a couple times that I thought was caused by other illnesses I happened to have at the time of the episodes.

I had my third attack the other day: exactly as you all describe. I woke up in the morning and got up to go to the bathroom and wash my face as usual, but as I got out of bed the awful stomach pains started. I got to the toilet and there was very little activity, like I was constipated. Then the fuzz started in my eyes, and everything started going grey... At this point, because it'd happened to me twice before, I managed to get up and waddle back to my room to pick up my phone and ring my fella to come and help me, but I had to go back and sit on the loo again. I couldn't see, the 'deafness' started - that awful rushing in your ears. I was sweating buckets, but shivering like I was cold, and I knew I was going to pass out. That feeling like you are in serious trouble and you desperately need help is so awful. I live alone, and it's terrifying. It was even worse the first time it happened when I didn't know what to do, and I actually fell off the toilet and hit my head, and then someone had to stay with me for 24 hours in case I was concussed (on the advice of a medical professional).

In the most recent case, there was no diarrhoea, and I still had a very painful stomach when I'd come round from the fainting spell. I've also felt exhausted, weak and shaky for a couple days now, although that is improving.

I saw my doctor, and he said he thought I was anaemic. The first time an attack happened, I phoned the National Health Service advice line and the nurse said it sounded like I was dehydrated. My brother thinks it's low blood pressure. Where the hell do we start?

I felt really, really thirsty after the episode the other day, and had to sip water all day (not from loss of fluid from diarrhoea, as on that occasion there wasn't any). I had also felt dehydrated the evening before. Could this be another viable theory?

I had never considered the prospect of it being food allergy related. I am intolerant to wheat, but I never had an attack until AFTER I stopped eating wheat. Maybe it's an allergy to another food? At this time of year I take daily antihistamines for my hayfever, but I hadn't taken one on Monday/Tuesday, which would hold with the allergy theory as I wasn't 'protected', so to speak.

At the beginning of this year, I changed my diet so that it included a lot more fresh fruit and veg, and less wheat (because I do cheat occasionally) but last week and the week before, I didn't do so well and ate a lot more rubbish than I usually would, so maybe it's that?

I never thought it was a separate condition by itself because, before this instance, I was actually ill for other reasons when it started. The first time, I had taken two weeks worth of Metronidazole (antibiotic), which is Not Good for the stomach...

I have nothing practical to add, no advice from doctors or second opinions, but I want to say how much of a relief it is to read about this from other people because it's the sort of thing where, if you think your experience is an isolated occurence and the doctor can't tell you anything concrete, you'd be forgiven for thinking that there is something seriously wrong with you.

I honestly thought, the first time, that if my boyfriend didn't get to me in time to help that he'd be finding me hours later, unconscious on the bathroom floor, and having to call an ambulance. Now I've read this I feel reassured that if, or when, it happens again, I can get through it. Thank you!
since grade 8 which i was 14 yrs old, i have had severe cramping, diarreha and vomiting, as i'm using cramping my skin gets cold and clammy and i start to faint, sometimes i can catch myself my fainting other times I can't. I'm now 30, my doctor keeps telling me it's the flu, well it's not the flu, i've also been tested for cysts bursting on my ovaries, but they can't seem to find anything. the last episode i had was very bad cramping, so that point i wanted to die my stomach hurt soo much, that i ended up fainting in the bathroom and cracking my head open and wasn't breathing for a minute or two and then came about. i've had ultra sound after ultra sound, blood test after blood test, i've been tested for everything, everything comes back up negative, i just don't know what to do anymore, I usually have a episode once a yr, this week i had two episodes. When I got to ER, they usually just give me meds for the pain and send me home and tell me to follow up with my doctor. I'm glad i'm not the only one feeling this way, I also wish no pain on anyone.
I don't have time to do a full blown post at the moment but after many years of having this problem, a short term fix for me is a hot but not scorching bath. Laying still and relaxing into the warm water helps to hold the horrible cramps in check and keeps the vagal response from kicking in. It's not always a possibility to do but it's an option to try, since symptomatic treatment is what we are left with.
Wow - why is there no research being done on this?  First episode about 6 years ago, and I attributed it to IBS.  About 3 years ago, I gave up gluten after reading about symptoms (excessive gas, bloating, cycling between constipation and diarrhea) which seemed similar to mine.  Have felt much better without the gluten.  About 6 weeks ago, ate at a local Mexican chain, thought I selected "safe" foods, and got very sick on the way home (about 40 minutes between restaruant and home - fortunately my husband was driving).  Fainted 5 times between car and bathroom, hitting my head several times, although my husband did his best to prevent it.  Dripped sweat, had explosive diarrhea, and a sense of needing to expel some toxin from my body.  I assumed that I had ingested gluten, and became much more vigilant about asking before ordering at restaurants.  Several days ago, I brought lunch to the office from Chipotle, the same thing I've eaten there countless times before, and had another episode.  Fainted in the women's room, where a colleague found me on the floor.  Ended up with a mild concussion.  Just called my allergist, but the nurse who answered the phone insisted that this did not sound like a food allergy, because I did not have hives, trouble breathing, etc. and in any event they couldn't see me for at least a month! I am a 54 year old woman, have dust/leaf mold allergies, asthma, hypothyroidism, and take Prinzide for high blood pressure.  I am at a loss as to next steps.  In less than a month, I will be chaperoning students on a 2-week trip which will include visits to the Grand Canyon and Yosemite, and I am very nervous about what might happen.  My best guess is that I have a wheat allergy, not just gluten intolerance (although the MSG theory is intriguing), and wonder if an epi-pen would help with the sudden and precipitous blood pressure drop.  Someone mentioned Benadryl, but I don't think it would get into my system fast enough. Any thoughts from the kindred spirits here?
This happened to be about 2 hours ago and I was scared out of my mind. I am 19 years old and this is the first time it has happened. I had a strong urge to go to the bathroom and had extreme cramping in my stomach like I needed to have a BM and it got so bad I started to get dizzy, I was sweating so much and then I thought I was actually dying it was so intense. I also thought I was going to vomit at the same time. I then heard a ringing in my ears and the next thing I remember was opening my eyes and I was still sitting on the toilet but my head was on the side of the bath tub and my arms were on the ground. Soon after that I literally had to go to the bathroom every 5 to 10 min, one time I almost fainted again but I didnt and now im feeling better but still have a stomach ache and pretty nauseous. I was debating whether to go to the doctor or not and saw this post and decided its probably more normal than I thought. It was scary though!
omg i jus went toilet 5 times with excrutiating pain where i cramped all over.the pain is right below my breast bone,then down my stomach.bad diareah.i been suffering for more than 5 years.doctors say tear of them intestins,but when does it get better.
I'm 30, have been experiencing bouts of this off and on for 10 years or so.

In my case I know it is definitely not related to MSG, lactose or wheat allergy because I eat all of those things frequently with no problems most of the time.  I believe it is related to bacteria, improperly prepared food, etc..

I ate at a BBQ place the other day and then had an episode, first one this year.  Last night I ate the BBQ leftovers and then this morning was awoken with the horrible cramping, should have known better.

There was also a seedy mexican restaurant that my friends used to like eating at, they would never have problems but I would experience these symptoms after eating there every time (happened 3-4 times before I figured out it was that restaurant).  

Another time when I had multiple bouts within a short period happened when I accidentally drank out of a cup that was dirty.  I have two identical insulated cups with built in straw that I use for drinking iced tea, I left one of them in my car one time for several weeks and it was really gross.  I then brought it inside and rinsed it out but not that thoroughly, I had the intention of putting it in the dishwasher but I got distracted by a phone call.  Later I mistook that glass for the clean one and drank out of it, got sick.  Same thing happened again the next day before I figured out I was drinking out of the dirty cup, ugh.. makes my skin crawl thinking about that.

Anyways I am not sure what can be done to stop these episodes other than avoiding bacteria, one person above mentioned probiotics but I drink kefir frequently which is loaded with probiotics and I still get these episodes.  

One thing which I have found which helps, and this is kind of gross but its worth trying because it does help make my episodes shorter.  After I feel the initial cramps but before I get too lightheaded or have any diarrhea, I do an enema and hold it for as long as possible.  The enema forces you to be in a position on your knees with your head on the floor which keeps you from fainting and it helps to get all the diarrhea out faster rather than having to sit on the toilet for hours or go back and forth for multiple waves.  

One thing that is important if you want to try this: you need to get a real enema kit with a rubber bag and hose, not one of those little fleet squirt bottles those are useless.  The only place I know to get a real enema kit is Walmart, its usually near the rubbing alcohol and bandages and is called 'Multi purpose hot water bottle' or something like that (it can be used as a hot water bottle, for enemas or for douching).  I just use warm water in the enemas, no mineral oil or epsom salt or any of that.  I take the enema kit with me any time I travel after one time when I had a horrible episode while on vacation that ruined my whole trip practically, its also useful if you get constipated while traveling or jetlagged.
I don't know what causes this, I have "spells" or "episodes" where I can't feel them coming on.  It happens occasionally, I'd say about every 6 months to 9 months, sometimes a year, sometimes twice or three times a year.  It started when I was 18 and now I am 44.  It usually happens around the time of my period, but not always.  I used to think it was related to my period, but now I'm not so sure.  I've tried every kind of elimination diet trying to rule out food allergies.  It starts with stomach cramps a little bad but not overwhelming, then I feel as if I am going to have diarrhea, then the tingling in hands and feet comes next, then the nausea , or a feeling that if I don't throw up I'm going to pass out.  Forcing myself to throw up actually keeps me from passing out.  When I force myself to throw up, the diarrhea starts.  I get very sweaty and clammy , cold and my legs and hands start shaking.  Once the BM happens it's over and a few minutes later I feel fine again.  Very scary b/c it feels as though I'm going to pass out/lose conciousness.  I don't know what it is, I've been to a GI dr and he just told me to take a daily laxative to prevent the constipation, but I did that for  a year and it still happened.  (although not as severe).  But I can't take laxatives forever, I know that is not healthy.  
I'm 33 male. My first experience of this sudden "tummy ache, sit on toilet, diarrhea, intense lower abdominal pain, cold-sweat, light-headedness, sometimes heading to fainting" episodes happened when I was around 15 years old. These episodes usually last around 10-15minutes, but feel like a lifetime!

Seems like many of you also first started to experience these episodes around 15-16 years old. Makes me wonder why...

I've experienced this about 5 times since age of 15..So it happens once every 2-3 years. The pain is unbearable. Two of the times, I just "gave" up trying to fight it off and fainted.

It happens early in the morning. Immediately after waking up from sleep. 5am-6am.  

I feel normal soon after the episode ends.

Last episode was two weeks ago. I had burgers, fries with ranch dressing from Fatburgers around 5am. I thought the ranch dressing tasted a lil sour, yet I proceeded to eat it. I went to sleep around 6am. I woke up feeling craps in my stomach at 7am and went to the toilet. This is when this episode happened. I fainted and hit my face on something which lead to me getting stitches for a few lacerations on my face.

I would guess that if it's food poisoning, wouldn't I have stomach issues for a few days? Perhaps feel like vomiting?

I've spoke to my mother about this and she mentions that she experienced this thru her 20's to mid-30's.

Btw, I'm Asian. Anyone else Asian? Something tells me this may be more common with Asians.. Perhaps relating to dairy products.

I can't believe I finally found others like me. I have had many of these same episodes and starting taking a probiotic pill twice a day. Haven't had an episode since Thanksgiving so i truly think it has been helping. I started getting cramps tonight after eating CHINESE food and thought.....oh no! I immediately took my probiotic and as someone on here suggested, drank hot water (i added lemon). I think i am starting to feel better but i guess we'll see what the night brings. I have a feeling it is an msg thing for me and i also have issues with lactose intolerance so i am sure the crab rangoon didn't help. Anyway, for what it is worth, try taking probiotics. I got mine at Whole Foods.
[I MARKED MY LAST POST AS SPAM, IT LOST SOME LINES OF TEXT]

Hello again! Now I really have reasons to believe that this is not caused by food allergies, dairy products or any other stuff except this one, as littlemissy777 on May 18, 2011 suggested:

>>>
MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, also known as sodium glutamate and MSG [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate]. So here we go:
- MSG is a sodium salt of GLUTAMIC ACID, a naturally occurring non-essential amino acid. Used as a FOOD ADDITIVE and it's commonly marketed as a FLAVOUR ENHANCER (with HS code 29224220 and the E number E621). There are health concerns about the use of monosodium glutamate in food, but few are scientifically supported.[6][7][8] (See: Health effects research into glutamic acid.)
- Although once associated with foods in Chinese restaurants, MSG is now used by most fast-food chains and in many foodstuffs, in particular, PROCESSED FOODS. E.g.: Prepared stocks often known as STOCK OR BOUILLON CUBES; CONDIMENTS such as barbecue sauce and salad dressings; Canned, frozen or dried prepared food (SOUP POWDER); Snack foods such as FLAVOURED jerky, flavoured potato chips (crisps) and flavoured tortilla chips; Seasoning mixtures
- April 1968, Robert Ho Man Kwok wrote a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine, coining the term "Chinese restaurant syndrome: "usually begins 15 to 20 minutes after I have eaten the first dish, lasts for about two hours, without hangover effect (...) most prominent symptoms are numbness at the back of the neck, gradually radiating to both arms and the back, general weakness and palpitations" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_restaurant_syndrome#Research_into_health_effects] [[[bmkilla909 on Jan 26, 2011 reported this syndrom without diarrhea]]]
-  Because GLUTAMATE IS ABSORBED VERY QUICKLY IN THE GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT (unlike glutamic acid-containing proteins in foods), glutamate could spike blood plasma levels of glutamate. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavour)#Excitotoxicity]
- ROLIJOLI, 51 YEARS old, POSTED IN THIS FORUM ON JAN 25, 2009, had her FIRST attack when she was 5 (~1963) and at the same age a head injury (=>CONCUSSION).
- Glutamic acid is in a class of chemicals known as excitotoxins, high levels of which have been shown in animal studies to CAUSE DAMAGE TO AREAS OF THE BRAIN UNPROTECTED BY THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER (BBB) and that a variety of CHRONIC DISEASES CAN ARISE OUT OF THIS NEUROTOXICITY. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavour)#Excitotoxicity]
- The BBB is a separation of circulating blood and the brain extracellular fluid (BECF) in the central nervous system (CNS). It occurs along all capillaries and consists of tight junctions around the capillaries that do not exist in normal circulation. Endothelial cells restrict the diffusion of microscopic objects (e.g. bacteria) and large or hydrophilic molecules into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), while allowing the diffusion of small hydrophobic molecules (O2, hormones, CO2). Cells of the barrier actively transport metabolic products such as GLUCOSE across the barrier with specific proteins. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood-brain_barrier]
- Glucose is a primary source of energy for the brain (CSF contains Glucose 50[3] 80[3] mg/dL [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebrospinal_fluid]), and hence its availability influences psychological processes. When glucose is low, psychological processes requiring mental effort (e.g., self-control, effortful decision-making) are impaired [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose] => leads to fainting
<< you're getting the MSG out of your body immediately [[[as cunninka, Mar 13, 2011 and MAnneP, Feb 16, 2011 reported]]].

Just a brief check of MSG's usage history [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate]:
>>>
- From 1909 to the mid-1960s, MSG was prepared by the hydrolysis of wheat gluten, which is roughly 25% glutamic acid. Until the mid-1970s, direct chemical synthesis from acrylonitrile was used until the fermentation method was developed [[[notice the EARLIEST CASE we have in this forum was from rolijoli around 1963, and the one from wiki of Robert Ho Man Kwok in 1968)]]]
- In 1986, FDA's Advisory Committee on Hypersensitivity to Food Constituents concluded that monosodium glutamate poses no threat to the general public but that REACTIONS of BRIEF DURATION might OCCUR IN SOME people. Other reports have given the following findings [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavor)#Timeline]:
-> The 1987 Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization placed MSG in the SAFEST CATEGORY of food ingredients.
-> A 1995 FDA-commissioned report by the FASEB confirmed the SAFETY assessments of the aforementioned Committees, but stated that an UNKNOWN PERCENTAGE of the POPULATION MAY REACT to monosodium glutamate and develop a monosodium glutamate symptom complex when CONSUMING MORE THAN 3 GRAMS OF MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE alone. The report compiled several, mostly very non-specific and common, symptoms from anecdotal reports, including burning sensation in the back of the neck, forearms and chest, numbness in the back of the neck, radiating to the arms and back, tingling, warmth and weakness in the face, temples, upper back, neck and arms, facial pressure or tightness, chest pain, headache, nausea, rapid heartbeat, bronchospasm, drowsiness, weakness.
- A 2002 study found that RATS FED ON DIETS SUPPLEMENTED WITH 10% AND 20% PURE MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE SUFFERED RETINA DEGENERATION, possibly through glutamate accumulation in the vitreous humor. However, such extreme amounts are more than 10 times higher than those used for flavoring or found in foods and would not be possible to replicate in a meal for human consumption. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_%28flavor%29#Excitotoxicity]
<<<

The reason why there are no coherent reports and proofs, seems to be due to the statistical POPULATIONS of these reports. The populations had people with AREAS OF THE BRAIN UNPROTECTED BY THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER and people with FULL PROTECTION by the BBB. The latter apparently won't have any problems with MSG, but if they get some of their BBB's cells damaged.... guess what....

Therefore MSG is like your food petrol or cigarette, it's bad to your health but you still buy it anyway. That is, if you want to keep that awesome flavour in your soup! Big food chains will use it for many years to come and deny every harm caused by it.... Until the day some scientist bothers to get a good statistical population to prove this...
Sad isn't it? BTW did you read the part that it kills your brain and accumulates in your retina?... Ahh nevermind that! We wan' our food tastin' GEWD!!... :S

[At wikipedia discussions, MSG related problems are also addressed, but beware! Wikipedia has a really strong policy in “unreferenced material” (“we mainly rely on high quality reviews”......): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Monosodium_glutamate#More_on_health_effects
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Glutamic_acid_%28flavor%29#CBS_60_minutes_about_MSG_health_hazards]
[Well I dunno why but my post keeps loosing text, this paragraph is between the <<>> before the "history"]:
just like my first episode, I had a minor head trauma 3 days before I ate something with MSG... People that helped me told me that my faint seemed to be due to a lack of sugar in my blood (I was white and pale, according to them). The strange thing is that I ate some cake about 30 min. before I fainted... Which leads me to conclude that I had sugar on my blood but the cells of my BBB were not transporting enough Glucose to the CSF.
And since glutamate is absorbed very quickly in the gastrointestinal tract, by having a DIARRHEA it makes sense that the symptoms are alleviated => you're getting the MSG out of your body immediately [[[as cunninka, Mar 13, 2011 and MAnneP, Feb 16, 2011 reported]]].
As others have said, what a relief to find that I'm not alone in the suffering!  I too began having "episodes" as I've called them when I was 19.  The first one was the worst.  I woke up with intense pain, got really hot and sweaty, then felt almost like a cold sweat and when I saw myself in the mirror I was terrified at how pale my face was!  

Common things I have noticed each time:

- ALWAYS at night.
- I have an initial inability to urinate (usually when I wake up in the middle of the night, I have to urinate, but during an episode, I can't until its over).
- Feeling of being really hot and sweaty (usually look for a hair tie on my way to the bathroom to get my hair up, often take off my shirt to try and cool off).
- Waken up by an intense pain in the bottom of my abdomen (initially thought it was OBGYN related, but my doctor checked and said all was fine there) that increases as I fully wake up and get to the bathroom.  It feels almost like a menstrual cramp, but worse and lower in my abdomen.
- Usually have a BM and some gas, but not always diarrhea.
- Relief is not immediate with a BM.
- I feel exhausted and usually stagger back to the bed when it starts to relax a bit, but still continue with the cramping for 10-20 minutes and eventually fall back asleep but normally wake up tired the next day.
-  Slow, focused breathing is the only way to help relieve some of the pain, although I do try and bring my knees up to my chest which helps as well.
-  The pain is normally gone by the next day, but if it happens close to when I wake up (like today), I can have a dull ache for the rest of the day.

My biggest question is why does it always happen in the middle of the night?!  I think that might be a key to our symptoms.  My GI (who was generally useless other than doing a colonoscopy that showed nothing and telling me I had IBS) suggested it was just gas, but its unlike any other gas I've experienced.  

I will look into the MSG question.  I did have MSG last night a few hours before my episode, but I also had MSG on Sunday night (the same food!  Last night was a leftover from Sunday and just a bite) and didn't have an episode, so why the inconsistency?!

Thanks for all the input from everyone.  Like everyone's said, although it still hurts, its helpful to know that you're not suffering alone!

HEY A POSSIBLE SUCCESS STORY HERE!
I have this problem too and it always happens during any event that upsets my intestines.  I can't eat wheat and havent in years and have a very healthy diet organic, no processed foods or any simple carbs. okay.  It would happen periodically when I was working in a fast food place eating a ton of bread and got worse because I went vegatarian, eating even more bread. Once I left that job I ate a lot more veggies and it didn't happen; but eventually gave up wheat entirely.   It could be spurred on if I got upset or super stressed, or had food poisoning. Since reading this because the profuse sweating and feeling like I'm going to or should die without feeling the pain directly is really confusing. But press on the spot and wow it feels really bad all over!   I have found help with relaxing the area with comfrey oil and massage gently around the whole belly region, to find out where the hardness goes.  Since I started doing this a week ago I noticed that it actually changed from going to the left (when my spleen is enlarged) to going to the right. If I massage the vegal nerve area where the aorta are, those inch thick main artery and vein run along it and split just above the navel,  it exasperates the symptoms, so I stay off it.  After reading this entire forum, (very helpful!) I tried doing a few crunches from the bed to stimulate the nerve and it did, I started flashing/sweating and then the cramps and waiting on the toilet for relief.  I have had this on and off occassionally like you all describe and lately it has been chronic.  I caught Hepatitis A and was sick with that for a few months and developed a spleen enlargement that is almost all healed; but the dumping syndrome still happens every morning like clockwork, not sooner like most of the rest of you.  I have found in my case that the tightness/hardness/tender can be traced down to my appendix area and massaging that gently has been helping.  I just figured this out after reading that an appendix can be twisted or chronically not real healthy and that fecal matter and waste stored there can cause this all to happen. This morning while my sweats were starting which has been happening every morning lately, I messaged the area around my appendix and felt air bubbles or something moving around, relaxed and the sweats STOPPED RIGHT THEN!  So I feelm that is is really helpful to pass on.
I would suggest that you all try getting colon therapy, high colonics at least several sessions to loosen and break up what is in your colon to help clear the problem, no matter what it has been named.  It has been helping me a lot plus cleansing herbs like the smooth move tea.  I have not had a hard stool in 4 months so thinking of cleansing to bring on more loose stools seems odd; but that is the way it works.  Bottom line is that there is a point in all of your digestion of whatever you ate where the vagal nerve is pressed upon and that starts the whole process.  It could be inflammation from a reaction to the particular food that is too hard to digest or an allergin.  After you stop consuming the toxic food it stays in your system and your intestines create mucous which may not get all flushed out.  Colonics fix this real fast.  I couldn't stand the smell of myself when I sweat, it was fumy ammonia like strong and after my first appointment I smelled sweet in comparison and I notice this after every visit, so it is helping a lot.
Thanks for everyone's comments.  I had an "episode" last night. They really knock me for a loop.  The pain is unbelievable.  I have had these over the years, too.  The descriptions are similar to mine except I haven't completely blacked out / fainted.  I have IBS.  I take Citrucel at night.  When one of the episodes happens I use a little stool (no pun intended) to rest on while I am on the toilet to hold me up because I feel completely limp and feel so much pain and sweat so much. I have spent nights on the bathroom floor.  One thing folks haven't talked about is using a HEATING PAD! I don't know what I would do without one - it helps a lot. I feel so drained today . . . I am suppose to go on a trip and it scares me a bit!  If I could get a magic pill for the pain - is there one???  One time I was on a plane and it happened . . . not a full blown episode . . . but it was bad . . . we were suppose to return to our seats and I was in the bathroom.  I made it bake for the landing.  SO STRESSFUL!
P.S. Has anyone else been diagnosed with Bi Polar or PTSD has migraines and has IBS?
UPDATE FROM JUNE 8 POST

After I posted on June 8, I never did have the extreme pain, blackout, diarrhea like I've had so frequently in the past (about 5 times last year). I really think the probiotics have helped. I think the massage makes sense and drinking hot water helped as well. I am really going to try to avoid msg as much as possible. Here's to good health!
Having all of these exact symptoms. I have had only 2 attacks, but I've had them both in the last 3 months, and I'm terrified of it happening again. Being woken up in the middle of the night in pain, then being relieved (yet exhausted) after seemingly forever in a state of excruciating pain and a very watery BM. I gave my symptoms to my doctor about a month ago, and he ordered an ultrasound of my gallbladder, as he didn't know what else could cause this at my age. I am a 23 year old female. My ultrasound came out normal, and my doctor did not order any more tests. I have scheduled an OBGYN for tomorrow morning in case it could be a form of endometriosis. Does anyone yet have any other ideas, besides possible food allergies. I'm dying for answers, and my doctor seems to have given up on tests until I have another attack, which I obviously don't want to have.
I have been trying to find out what this was for years! It first happened when I was 17,  I woke up in middle of the night with severe stomach pain feeling like my stomach was really upset. I go to the bathroom and can't go and start to break out in a severe sweat. Within seconds my entire shirt is soaked and I feel very dizzy and have passed out twice. I also lose all color and turn pail. When I finally go it is severe diarrhea. I have also found that I have never had the same foods when this happens and have no clue what causes it . I t has happened about 10-15  times over the last 15 years. Mostly happens at night. I have found lately that sitting back and trying to relax and not breathe so hard keeps me from passing out and also a cold rag on face or neck.  Very scarey doctors no help and I also feel as if there are toxins building up and if I don't get them out then I will die. Does anyone have any answers?
I have had the same symptoms as you. I am 22 year old female and i woke early this morning feel a pain in my stomach I figured I just had to use the restroom because I had tacos last night. When I sat down the pain grew worse and worse till I started to get a cold sweat. I was sweating so much it was dripping of my face. I felt so weak and about to pass out but I didn't. The pain and sweating continued for what seemed like forever till I finally just laid down. I woke again not knowing if I passed out or fell asleep with the pains again this time when I went to the restroom I actually went. Does anyone know what this is I have had it three times now and I can't stand it.
I have had this and find it happens about 1-2 times a year. I also find I have to take the next day to recover.I look and feel totally worn out after an episode. I find the best thing to do(if you can and your not on the toilet)is to lay down on a cold surface and put your legs up to prevent fainting. I would love to have the answer to as why this happens.... just so scary sometimes.  
Im only 13 and the other day this happened to me and my mom said it could be from low blood sugar...hope this helps a little
Well this happens to me from time to time. I thought maybe it was a sugar overload issue or something because it's happened a lot after having a lot of soda or something sugary for breakfast. I'm glad I'm not the only one with these symptoms because I honestly feel crazy. Last night my friend and I had driven up this mountain to watch a lightening storm and halfway through eating my Jack In The Box my stomach started hurting and I told him drive back down and he told me part way down the mountain I just went limp and fell into his lap and was passed out for about a min and had to slap me in the face to wake me up. He kept driving and then I told him to pull over and I opened the truck door and puked up what I had just eaten. Felt a little better but my stomach was still killing me so we drove down to a bathroom where I passed some stools and felt slightly better. I managed to make it home and fall asleep for about an hour until I woke up and ran to the bathroom to have diarrhea. I can usually keep from passing out completely if I can make it to a bathroom in time. But since we were up on the mountain I think that's why I did pass out. In the past what happens is I'll feel like I need to go to the bathroom, I sit down and then start sweating profusely and then get close to blacking out but i'm still conscious and then I go to the bathroom and then it turns into a cold sweat. I've tried some tricks to cool me down when that happens like taking off my shoes and putting my feet on the cold floor or placing my wrists on the side of the cold toilet. I had an EKG when this happened in 9th grade and nothing came up and they just hooked me up to another today and it seemed relatively normal. I now have to wear an event monitor for a month now and press a button every time I feel an episode come on. Doctor drew blood also and did various tests that I'll find the results on later. She thinks it could possibly low blood pressure, blood sugar issues or some sort of seizure. It's not always when I have a BM that I feel faint because sometimes it's if I overheat too. So right now I'm very confused and have no idea what would make the most sense of it being.
Don't worry you're not the only one. I am 18 years old and have a larger medical file than most adults. I have had EKG's, EEG's, MRI's, Endoscopy's.....just about every test done. I have had what you are describing since I was only a year old. I have been living with it for 17 years and it seems to get better over time.

When I was a child, I would have them frequently, probably about twice a month. I would start feeling sick to my stomach and start to sweat horribly. I would either feel like I would throw up, faint, or go to the bathroom on myself. I would get ghostly pale and everything would start to spin. Next thing I knew, I'd wake up on the ground covered in vomit. I was diagnosed with vasovagal syncope for about 6 years but now they believe it is something else. Because of this condition, I still don't have my license and I'm about to go off to college. It is very frustrating, but has gotten easier over time.

This is the longest I think I've gone without having an 'episode'. It has been a year almost. I know others have it worse than me but this is a condition I wouldn't wish on anyone and I'm sure ya'll all agree. I have learned breathing techniques that help stop them from happening and also the recovery position and if you lift your feet up the blood can flow back to your head.

I just get irritated sometimes when most people can go vomit if they eat something bad or have the stomach virus. However, I cannot without fainting and instead have to fight it off,which is extremely difficult. Call it an immature thought, but this condition really makes me feel....i don't know....different. Like noone understands what I have to go through. Even though you all seem to be going through the same as me. I am sorry for writing so much, I just felt the need to vent. I hope you get to feeling better and that they can figure out how to prevent this from happening anymore. Best wishes.

-Jennifer
Just happened to me and thought I would look it up..For me it's few times a year as well but have never fainted..everything else happens though and also I start my period..Glad to hear I'm not the only one..think we all need to eat more fiber a d drink water!!
I am a male 43 yrs old and I have been having these attacks since my early 20s. After much trial and error I have found that if I avoid anything with gluten that I dont get the attacks. It would be interesting to know if this helps any of you who are experiencing these attacks.
I have been diagnosed with the vasalvagal syncope about a year ago now. I actually had surgery to fix it and my doctor had determined me to be cured now. I talked to her about the fainting/chills/stomach pain/ and so on which she said had nothing to do with the vasalvagal. She said that it probably has something to do with the lining of the stomach being irritated due to lack of mucus production which would cause the severe stomach pain and other symptoms. she suggested i go see a specialist. So sadly, we're stuck because the syncope is not the answer.
I am so glad to not feel alone anymore.  I have all the same symptoms.  The only difference is that while mine sometimes happen at night, they can also happen in the middle of the day.  And once I finish my diarrhea episode or episodes, a glass of sugar water snaps me right out of it.  So some people have told me low blood sugar, others, diabetes....it seems like no one knows.  But Im pretty sure its not a food allergy because there is no one type of food that seems to trigger it.  I would say that it happens after a heavy bout of drinking quite often, but it can also happen randomly when I havn´t had anything to drink.  Does anyone have these details as well?
I've had this happen to me twice in the Past year.  In the bathroom,  severe stomach cramps.. Clammy, sweaty, next thing I know I'm waking up on the bathroom floor, trying to focus.. It left me so weak and dizzy I could hardly function.  Most recent episode was yesterday morning. Woke up with a knot on my head. Very frightened. I'm so weak before I faint that I can't even yell for help, I just tell myself to breath.. So weird. But I take comfort in seeing many people have gone through this and I'm not alone.. I will be going to the doctor to get checked out this week.
Well, im 30 years old and from what I know of this has started this year. Im a guy. Everything as stated above happens to me. Start to get stomach cramps, lightheaded, run to bathroom, sweat like a waterfall, passout. All better. This has happened the first time about 6 months ago.

Was next door at a friends house and had to use bathroom, but I waited a few more minutes. no sweating. After I couldnt take the pain anymore, I started to leave. As i was saying goodbye, I blacked out, then in the next 5 mintues I blacked out about 3 more times, none sweating. blackouts last only about maybe 10 seconds or so. Then once I used the bathroom to get rid of the waterfall poop, I was better. Then I was good for the next few months. That day I blacked out multple times in a matter of 8 minutes.

Then, just a few days ago at night time, I started to play the cramps again every 20 or so minutes or so on the bathroom room. Did this for a period of maybe 4 hours. Then around 1am I used the bathroom again hoping that this would stop. I sat there crunched over for about 10 minutes, then the sweats came like a waterfall, and passed out. Once I awoke a few seconds later, I think... I was perfect.

Now I remember having these sweats before on bathroom sittings a few times thruout my life, but never remember passing out.

What a horrible thing to go thru, and I just get tears in my eyes reading all these posts and writing mine because this is just so horrible not to figure it out.

As somebody said in a earlier post, if your driving down the road and these symptoms come, pull over.

Anytime u sweat greatly like a waterfall, stop what your doing, something bad is about to happen.
I had one of the episodes described here last week. I have been in for blood tests and even an EKG. The fainting is called a vasovagal reaction- in my case it was caused by the toxins in my body from food poisoning. When your body is under too much stress (from dehydration or PMS cramps or low blood sugar) blood doesnt flow easily to the brain. So your body faints so that you are laying flat and blood can reach the brain. If you feel the sweating coming on lay down flat and your body wont need to faint.  
I've read the first 3 or 4 posts and that is exactly what happend to me this morning. Im 14 and i woke at 5 am in the morning to find that my pad had leaked onto my bed. Really pissed off because i had gone to sleep at 2 am i went and had a shower put the dirty clothing in the wash and went and slept in the Guest bedroom, but for some reason i couldnt shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen. In the morning i woke up and went to the toilet, only to find that my period had actually gotten stronger (!!) and i kept wipeing it off, now this is where it get weird, i dont know if i just got really freaked out becuase of all the blood, or something else but i started to feel faint and my head felt really droopy. I washed my face but it continued, I walked into the kitchen only to find that i had to run to the toilet again becuase 1) i felt like i was going to faint 2) I felt like i was going to vomit 3) becuase i seriously felt like my head was going to explode and 4) because i got dihorrea. i felt cold and i literally felt the blood drain out of my face and hands. I looked into the mirror in the toilet and my face was as pale as a sheet of paper. My pulse got REALLY slow and i felt like i was going to explode. On top of all that my period pain started. After around 45 mins i was finally able to leave the toilet. Any idea what happend? that was only the second time i got my period. I dont know what happend and im scared it'll happen again tonight. HELP !
I'm a 24 year old female and I have been suffering with these symptoms for about 10 years now, but this last year it has got so much worse. Reading these posts is like reading my mind. I too get the excruciating pains, the sweating, the diarrhea. I have to lay on the bathroom floor to stop the fainting. I pray for death the pain is so bad. I have had bad asthma this week and was put on steroids, two days later I spent 3 straight hours in agony and everyday since I have had an attack. I have cut out dairy and Wheat and Gluten to no avail. I had noticed a pattern with periods, but this latest attack does not fit the pattern. I have lost 16+ pounds in the last year and am skin and bone with no energy. I dread the night as this is when the pain usually comes. I am going to the hospital on thursday for more tests. I'm really depressed and don't know if I can cope much longer.
I have been married to my wife for 21 years and known her since she was 10, Linda has had the same thing as all you guys and it is terrible from my point of view so I know what you are going through.
We have gone to the docs and had all the tests but to no avail as like most of you. She has had these attacks to the point of convulsive fits and difficulty breathing.
I find that when she has an (attack) I have a fan that I immediately get on her to cool her down and as much as she wants to rush to the toilet I slow her down on getting up out of bed to let her blood pressure regulate as I think this problem is due to blood pooling in the lower body, hence causing low blood pressure to the brain and resulting in light headiness and fainting. The trick is to cool yourself as fast as possible and as much as you need a bowl movement wait in bed as long as possible and move heaps to get the blood pressure up in the rest of the body. Wet towels on the head help while my wife is on the toilet and faning her as she rides it out. For those of you that dont have a partner maybe a bowl of water with a towel in it on your bedside for those horrible moments and set up a fan in the toilet that you can turn on to help cool yourself during the period. I would just like to add to everyone that goes through this that you have nothing to be ashamed of, Linda constantly apologizes to me for having to care for her during these attacks but if you love someone you are there through thick and thin and this thing that happens to her really worries me and I would love some serious cures or reasons like all of.
I hope what Lin and I have learn t about this horrible situation helps someone.
We both have these episodes. i'm 44 yr. old male, she is 40 yr. old female. Episodes started about 4 yrs. ago. We both never experienced anything like this before. Symtoms are exactly the way everyone desribes them. My last attack was 2 nights ago, her's was last year. I have had 3, passing out once, she has had 3, passing out twice. We do not understand this? Both healthy and work fulltime. We will eat same thing for dinner, one has attack other does not. No allergies for either of us. What could possibly put your body threw this and then be gone? It starts,puts you on the ground, then no ill effects. Doctors don't seem to know, either do we. If anyone finds help please post. We will keep checking back or another attack comes. Good health to all and good luck with this condition we seem to suffer. You're not alone!
Hey everyone.

I've just experienced the worst ever stomach cramps.
I have been getting them when my period is due and the pain can be horrible but managable but early hours of this morningit was worse.

I went to bed a bit late but woke up about 4am in pain, The pain was like someone was ripping out my insides so I went up to the bathroom as I thought I need to go to the loo.

I sat there in pain for what must of been 5 mins when I heard ringing in my ears and then BAM! I must of blacked out.

Now this was the worst case because not only did I blackout in the bathroom, the bathroom has a heated radiator, I woke up with a fat lip and 2 grazes on my face so whilst coming down from the faint I must of smacked my face whilst doing it, In a way im glad I made that thud because my parents in law came down to help me.

I was in shock and I was screaming out my mums name as I dont live my with my parents and I couldnt open my eyes, I literally thought I was going to die.
Then it was just the case of going to the toilet to empty my bowels and I was ok after that apart from my fat lip!!

Now I'm quite a bit late for my peroid so i'm not sure whether its that or whether I haven't been eaten much properly but ive had these symptoms before but not as bad as this.
I think im too young to be experiencing this this happens to me quiet often im not sure once i did pass out at work i was getting real hot then i had stomach cramps went back and just fainted the er said it was due to dehydration and i should eart better another time i was at work all of a sudden i got real hot and i felt like i was burning up i was sweating but in actuallity i freezing and my stomach hurt ...next i was in the shower and all of a sudden i got a sharp pain in my stomach shortness of breath and i almost passed out the only thing that kept me from it was my mom then yesterday i had a sharp pain in my stomach and i was felt like i was constipated but it went away after i used an oce pack but today i had a sharp pain shortness of breath i managed tok go to the bathroom it was the hard stool then i went again and it was diareah i had hardly any sleep today anf i cant go back to bed....help?
Im a 23 year old male and I've had similar symptoms several times in my life as well.  Cant say Ive ever completely passed out and hit the floor because of it (though sometimes I do loose awareness of where i am and have a series of very strange images go though my head) but i do get the horrible waves of pain followed by short periods of a bad tingling sensation throughout with a temporary lessening of the pain. Id put this abdominal pain in its own special category of painful, its the only pain Ive experienced in quite a while that almost makes me cry.  In fact id almost compare it to torture techniques where the pain is applied and removed, and you know the pain is coming back, builds up a sense of dread.  More than anything you just want it to stop.  A loose BM 15 to 30 minutes later (that generally smells like baby s***) signals the beginning of the end of the event.

I have found that (as much as you don't want to do it, all i ever want to do is curl up in a ball, but that makes it worse) if you orient yourself so that your abdomen is as relaxed and uncompressed as possible it helps some - ie: sit up straight on the toilet, lay down on your back or stand (if you dont feel your going to or have a history of feinting from this) while attempting to relax your stomache.  This is the opposite of what my body seems to want to do but despite that it seems to reduce the pain.  I also noticed that if you have a hot water bottle available you can gently press it to your abdomen for some reduction of pain, or just keeping it warm with your hands as during this time my body seems to be making quite a bit of heat of its own.  Doesn't seem like that would do anything but seems to have worked for me in the past.

I hope some of this may help others.

I hope some of this may help others.
This exact thing has been happening to me since I was 12 or 13.  My parents took me to several Dr.'s and they couldn't figure out why this was happening.  Exact same symptoms everytime, the worst pain ever and as the person above-mentioned felt like my body wanted to throw up.  It happened to me last night, it woke me from my sleep.  I ate salmon burgers for dinner and it happened to me before when I ate eel sushi and salads.  I would pass out everytime, fall right off the toilet!  For many years I was able to keep myself from passing out by throwing cold water (to shock me) on me until it passed but last night it came on so fast I couldn't even turn on the water and I hit the floor and woke up w/ my eyes moving rapidly underneith my lids and I had to force myself to get out of that weird state.  Whatever this IS, it really ***** and is really scarey.  Good luck to everyone who has this.  
carcinoid tumour - it is not that. I looked it up and it's not at all possible.
Answers!!!  You HAVE to read this!
I had the EXACT same symptoms, and if you had told me what it was I wouldn't have believed you...  Panic attacks!  Panic attacks aren't what you think they are...  You will be shocked...

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was going to have diarrhea.  Then my arms went completely numb.  Next I felt like I was going to pass out, and ended up on the bathroom floor.  Extreme sudden fear of dying or having a stroke.  Sweating.  It was the SCARIEST, WORST feeling in the world.  Indescribable.  

Then the WAVES came.  Every 20 minutes, starting at my toes and flowing up through my body.  After the wave was gone I would almost lose consciousness for a good ten minutes.  After it would pass I would feel completely fine.

The worst part is that the next time it starts to happen you know what is about to happen... the dread, the fear... it's an endless cycle.  And no one who has not experienced this could possibly know how awful it feels.  You say "panic attack disorder" and people have a pre-concieved notion... I know I used to!

I first tried Clonopin.  It's a sedative you take when the attack starts.  It makes you so relaxed that you fall asleep.  Not for me!  Now I take a daily preventative medication, Celexa, and I keep the Clonopin in my purse just in case.  It works beautifully.

My other suggestion would be to visit an endocrinologist, many of these symptoms can be caused by adrenal gland disorders.

Hope this helps!
     Im 21 years old Female no children eat well naturally fit.
   The first time I blacked out I was 17 years old and it just happened to me this morning again. I felt fine normal when I got up to use the restroom but as soon as I wanted to pass a bowel movement I had sharp pain in my stomach my legs got numb and it went all over my body its a tingly feeling at the same time I get hot and sweaty and its weird because I never sweat by this time I know I better lay down before I crack my head open on the bathroom floor. And I did I just laid on the floor waiting for the episode ( as I call it ) to pass. While this happens my mind is blank and I can hardly catch my breath or keep my eyes open everything goes black my head hurts as this sheet of god knows what goes over me. No more than 15 minutes pass and Im ok. I hate it when it happens and I know all of you do too.
( my episodes are always in the morning )
Whats I dont like is that Ive gone to the hospital Ive done all the test the blood work EKGs the MRIs the one where the camera goes up your pee hole even a Colonoscopy and they say everything is ok but one thing that could be related to my blacking out.
Apparently when ever I urniate I loose lots of blood cells they just run right through me and that has caused my anemia uroligist have tried to figure out why or where they are comeing from but no answer I have blacked out from just urinating same sympotoms as always. And they found out that back when I was 11 that I had gone to the hospital for severe stomach pain and they found blood cells in my urine and just diagnosed it as cramps that given my age at the time I could be getting my period but I didnt I got it when I was 15.

All I want to know is why this happens and it just cant be ok or normal because naturally it just doesnt feel right.
  They say its because of pushing Im not even pushing im trying not to pass out and sometimes its not even solid inof to push. Im very happy to have found this site but sorry that Im just another patient waiting for anwsers and hope of finding something that can help I hope I did some how but good luck to all of you and maybe we should have a helmet handy =)
hi I'm Lydia and I'm only in my teens and wen I eat Sunday dinners I feel sick and bloated and feel a bit dissy and then when I sit on the tolite squirts come out and then 2 mins later more and my tummy rumbles like I'm hungry but Im not what should I do ? help me please?
I have read all the comments here, I have all the simptoms too. a year ago I finally went to a natural health clinic, I got tierd of the pain, I went throug every test you can imagine, with no results, The natural clinic told me it was my stomach that was alergic to Gluten, Dairy, MSG, and Black pepper, they also explained that when this happens you get low blood presure, and when you feel like faiting it's because the rythem in your heart changes and for a split second it stops to ajust itself again, it is called Vasovagal, and if you continue to eat the foods that you are alergic to, the attacs will come more often, if you don't want to give up gluten, go with unbleached flour, You know when you are alergic to gluten or other foods most of the time because your tounge gets coated whith white patches or completley.  what helped me was giving all those foods up, and it was recommended that at each meal I put one or two teaspoons of phylium in my drink, this way I don't get constipated or diharria, and I havent had an episode for about a year now, the phylium helps the food slide through faster in your bowel.I get the phylium in bulk, it's really cheap, I hope this helps.
I experience the same thing, but I also have a ringing in my ear. I've only passed out completely, a few times. One time it was for about  2 hours.. other than that, im usually awake, but only slightly. I'm very weak. I experience this more often than anyone above, sadly. I'd say maybe 3 or 4 times a month. Less if I'm lucky. It usually happens during summer. It just happened to me today. I find this all happens to me when I barely eat anything, and don't drink any water. I have trained myself to drink up to about 6 bottles of water a day, so this doesn't happen to me.
I'm only 15 years old. It's been happening since I was about 13.
I read online that this could be called "syncope". And sadly, it could last me my whole life. I'm hoping to get a real diagnosis sometime soon.
I'm 28 and have been having the same symptoms described above since I was 17. I seem to have the episodes about 2 times a year but prior to this year I had gone about a year and a half without any. I would say they are usually associated with the first day or two of my period, although when I first started getting them they weren't. I havne't ever talked to a doctor about it but I tend to think the vasovagal syndrome seems to make a lot of sense. It can be triggered by multiple factors so it might not always be caused by just one thing. My first episode happened after being out in the sun all day and getting a very bad sunburn. I think it was triggered by dehydration that time. Most of the other times I think it is triggered by intense menstrual cramps. I'm going to try to stay hydrated by drinking more water as that has always been hard for me to do and start taking motrin at the first sign of my period to prevent the cramps from starting. It usually happens in my sleep when I don't notice the cramps until they get very intense but by then it's too late.
I am relieved to have found this site as I thought I was the ONLY person who had these "episodes".  I've been calling these symptoms of feeling like I'm dying, while lying in fetal position by the toilet,"episodes" since I was 18.  I am now 44 and had yet another episode last night. This one scared me because I was walking up the stairs to go to bed when I started to feel the symptoms -- feeling faint and dizzy.  By the time I reached the top of the stairs, I felt the "hot" feeling compounding my body.  I thought I was just hot because the weather was hot all day and night.  By the time I got to the toilet (wanted to urinate before hitting the bed), my episode was in full form!  I got really faint, breathing abnormal and then the cold sweats hit me.  Like always, I focused on the bathroom floor because all I wanted to do was lay down in fetal position.   I started to call out for my husband who was sleeping and has dealt with my episodes for 14 years now.  I tried to stop urinating so I wouldn't fall over but that didn't work.  I finished my business and rushed out of the bathroom yelling, "episode, episode".  My husband was immediately up and helping me onto the bed.  I laid down breathing heavily, feeling like I was going to faint while my husband put a cold wash cloth on my forehead and gave me water.  I noticed that water is the best to shorten the length of my episodes.  20 minutes later, I was fine and fast asleep.  I know this was related to not having a bowel movement because I felt like I needed to go all afternoon but didn't think much of it. Not until I had an episode since I feel these episodes are some how related to IBS, or some kind of gastric issue.  

I've had to brief family and friends of these episodes, explaining that I shouldn't be moved and to give me water.  Most get worried at first but if there is drinking involved, I found it triggers these episodes and I need to be left in fetal position until it passes.

My symptoms do not include diarrhea and I have never lost full consciousness. Although I feel as though I am about to faint.  It doesn't matter where I am, or what I'm doing, I can feel an episode come on.  I know it has to be related to gastric issues or constipation as like most of you, I'm on the toilet when I start feeling hot, get cold sweats and begin to feel faint.  I usually end up on the bathroom floor in fetal position if I can't make it to my bed.  It always happens at night but I've had these stupid episodes in the bathrooms of night clubs!  Just going out with friends and boom, it hits me after a few drinks.   I also noticed that my episodes have a tendency to happen during menstruation.  Not always, but it seems as if it is a trigger.  Also, alcohol seems to be a contributor.  I'm not a big drinker but when I do go out and have a few drinks, I'm more prone to have an episode.  It can be one glass of wine, scotch or if I've had "more than a few" but most importantly it seems an episode is more likely to occur if I haven't had a proper BM in the last few days.  Does anyone else get an episode if you've had a drink+lack of BM or drink+ menstruation?

I get these episodes approximately 5-7 times a year, and every time I get one, I feel like I'm going to die.  I cramp up but don't have severe pain when on the toilet, but I do feel better if I have a BM.  It is rare that I have BM during and episode because my episode comes on fast and I can't stay on the toilet as I just feel like I need to lay down..... you know how it is.  I feel like most of you know what I'm expressing and for the first time in all of these years, I know I'm not the only one.  

Thanks for allowing to share my episode story.  I hope I can read other symptoms that match mine and get some advice.  

I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and I have stage 4 endometriosis but I've had these episodes since I was a teenager so not sure if these are related.  I would be grateful to anyone that could help me with information or just a "I know how you feel" comment to my post.
I just (like 1hr ago) had my second such episode in three years. It went pretty much like this:

Got up from dinner
Went outside to feed to the fish
Came back in within minutes due to a sudden BM urge and ran to the bathroom
Twisting/nauseating sensation w/ intestinal cramping
Explosive BM
Hot flush, cold sweat, ears ringing
Dizziness, near fainting, LOTS of howling in kind of a dazed state

I crawled off the toilet at one point to call for my husband. I got back up on the toilet with his help and finished the episode, deep breathing and howling a bit to get through the cramps. A bit reminiscent of labor, actually. The symptoms eased, I relaxed, all is fine now. I'm just a little tired.

I had an almost identical episode 3 years ago, though with less diarrhea and more cramping. There are no obvious commonalities between the two events aside from having just finished dinner.

Dinner 3 years ago: Spaghetti Bolognese w/ steamed veg at my mother-in-law's
Dinner tonight: Veggie Quiche at home, made by my husband.

Sorry to hear so many others are experiencing these frightening episodes, but so glad I'm not the only one wondering what on earth could be causing it all.
i have posted before and am trying to figure this out. Could it be Celiac disease? Just read about it and that may be a cause for some people.  Please check it out for your self, only thing is does not mention fainting, which both of us have had happen during these episodes. Tell me what you guys think cause my doctor doesn't seem to be any help. Any other ideas please post and maybe this community can get some help. Remember you are not alone!
Wow,
I can't believe that there are so many of us out there, I thought I was making it up!
I had one episode 3 years ago and NEVER wish to repeat it.
I woke at 2am with rectal spasm (as I now know it is called) the most awful pain in my rectum. I got up to the toilet thinking I needed to defecate.
I was cold clammy and felt faint, the pain was just terrible....to cut a long story short, I regained consciousness over a minute later with my GP husband standing over me, white as a ghost. I had been pulseless for a whole minute.
I had another sinus arrest at 8am whilst having a few small pains and was promptly whisked off to hospital to be fitted with a cardiac pacemaker. The black eye from my nose dive on the bathroom floor, took 3 months to heal.
I still live in fear of having another attack like that.
Incidently, all my heart tests showed nothing out of the ordinary (I was 43) and the cause of my sinus arrest, a mystery. (Well, we know different, don't we ?!)