Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Stomach pain, colon/intestinal spasms,dizziness, fatigue, salmonella

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

The past year and a half have been a nightmare for me.  To preface all of this, I have just recently found out that I have been eating peanut butter with salmonella since 2004. In late 2004, I was starting to feel a little off but did not know what was up.  In the Fall of 2005, I went back to school to become a dental assistant and received my first Hep B shot in which I reacted violently to.  I almost died as my body kept trying to shut down.  I had violent chronic D for over a year, my vision became blurry, my thoughts were disjointed, I had muscle atrophy in the legs, I have chronic fatigue, intestinal/colon spasms, stabbing pain in the intestinal/stomach region, low back pain, anxiety, and became alleric to most foods.  At first, I blamed my reactions on the Hep B vaccine but now think that I probably received the vaccine with salmonella running through me at the same time which caused this horrific reaction.  In November of 2006, I went gluten free which stopped the D.  In Feb of 2007, I stopped eating the salmonella peanut butter which stopped the inflamation (inflammation) and low back pain.  The symptoms I have currently are: fatigue, intestinal/colon spasms, sharp jabbing pains in my stomach/ovary/intestinal region, and a sensation of my blood feeling like it has bacteria or infection in it.  Until I stopped eating the peanut butter , for the past year and a half, I have had the following tests:
3 full blood work ups--normal
CT scan--diverticuli
MRI--small lesion on left kidney(nurse did not seemed concerned)
stool samples and urine tested-normal
PAP--normal

I am at my wits end with trying to figure out what is wrong with me.  If it is Salmonella, how long until it works itself out of me?  I just want to feel normal again.  Any ideas?
I am a 44 yr old female, 5'7, 136 lbs & until recently have been in perfect health.  I own a fitness center, so have very healthy eating & exercise habits.  Except, I go through these periods where I eat things that are not necessarily healthy when consumed in large quantities. In Sept '06, I started eating peter pan peanut butter.  I consumed atleast 1-2 jars/week.  I have receipts for 20 jars purchased between 9/06 & 1/07 (I keep receipts for paper product business writeoffs).  Dec & Jan, I had bad diarrehea, developed a small lump on my spine that hurt when it was pressed on.  Went for xrays for lump & severe lower back pain.  Orthopedic surgeon saw a distended colon & gas because now my bowel movement changed to extremely hard/painful movements.  Ordered mri for my back.  Went to ER for severe abdominal pain that weekend, CT scan was normal.  Was not tested for salmonella because had no reason to think I had it.  MRI showed nothing, painful lump still on my spine.  Rheumatologist ordered bone scan to rule out cancer.  Scan did not show anything, thank goodness.  Oh yeah, On Feb 15th, after finding out about peanut butter, had my jar tested @ the health dept, came back with positive results.  Scheduled to see a infectious disease dr this fri. I feel like ****.  I am always tired because I have been have so many dreams at night.  My stomach is still on the blink with poops like cement & the lump is still on my spine.

When I read your post, I could not believe the similiarities.  How are you doing now?
I'm 27 yrs old about a year ago I was almost 300lbs I started to feel fatigue and dizzy with this sharp pain in my left side of the abdomen .I kept going to the doctor ct scans were normal but blood test show high levels of white blood cells so I would go on antibiotics the doctors couldnt pin point the source of the infection. I hated that the doctors told me that it was all just stress and that antidepressan would help I change to 3 different doctors finally I was referred to a GI specialist and I had a colonoscopy done I was diagnosed with diverticulitis wich did appear on the 3 ct scans I had done also i was diagnosed with IBS. IBS causes a lot spasms also and infections of the diverticulis those too.
Everything you were saying in your post is what im going through now.  I was just wandering how your doing now and what was your treatment?
I live in Australia and I've been looking for solutions for these same problems. Stabbing pain the intestinal area, constant painful spasms that make me feel dizzy and almost pass out. Each bout last for hours, I have had this for years. Doctors don't seem to know what it is. I have had tests for allergies to dairy, wheat etc which came back normal. Even so, a person can still suffer from digestion probs from these foods without being allergic to them. I have given up red meat because I know it can cause polyps and cancer of the bowel. There is no blood apparent. The pain moves around all over the intestinal area and I can feel the bowel spasming continuously. I can only sleep in certain positions so that I don't wake up in agony. Does someone have an answer to these  problems because the drs don't have a clue. I had a colonoscopy years ago which came back normal. I have had scans for other things which didn't show anything up in the bowel.
My son just turned 14 and he has the same symptoms.  His colonoscopy shows spasms though.  The cause for these spasms are unknown, but the spasms cause bile to shoot into the stomach causing discomfort, and he has also developed acid reflux in the esophogus.  He had a polyp removed March 9th, 2009.  And we are in the hospital now and he is being monitored.  My son has never had health issues before, and now since January 2009, he has had these intestinal flair ups, but since his polyp has been removed, his flair ups are now more frequent and more violently painful, to the point of his eyes rolling into the back of his head.  His naseau is severe as well.  I believe his polyp is a result of something not right which may also be a result of his spasms.  He has been tested for sallamenella, celiac disease, chrons disease, appendacitus, IBS and they feel his problem is constipation.  But, they cleaned his intestines out for the colonoscopy and his pain reduced, but than, he had a flair up several hours later....so...constapation can't be the problem.  It may be a result of whatever is going on in him, which may also be the cause of the polyp and the spasm, and now acid reflux & bile in the stomach.  He had CAT scans, that showed nothing, upper GI, nothing, scope down the throat; acid reflux, colonoscopy; polyp removal, second colonoscopy; bile in stomach and irrated area where polyp was coterized, blood tests; normal, fecis; normal, urine; normal, temperature; normal, blood pressure; unusually low...his normal is in the 60's range, he was averaging from 38 to 58.  They did EKG but I guess that was normal, they did ultrasound of his gallbladder; normal, 2 different KUB's (x-ray of kidney, bladder); normal except some small amount of air in colon area that shouldn't be there, probably from polyp removal.  He does have trace amounts of blood in his stool now but they said its normal because acids from the 'go juice' for colonoscopy irrated site of his poylp removal.  So far, he is being precsribed loglan, and miralax, and pain pills, and pills for naseau.  When my son describes his pain he says it feels like cramping and like sharp glass.  Most of the time his pain is like a 5 or 4 on the scale which feels like he's been punched in the stomach several times and feels bruised.  But when his flair ups of spasms happen, he begs to be put out.  My son is not a baby, he falls on his skateboard all of the time, he just dusts off.  His 14 years of life he is not a complainer of health problems.  We even trained for a marathon together, so I think of him as healthy and all of his tests show him as healthy, but the spasms are frequent and more violent.    
I hope you come back and see this post.  I'm 51 female and have bouts with spasms in my lower bowels all the way up to esophagus.  My entire life my stomach has put out too much acid and I have these attacks.  They now last only a few days since I found a doctor to prescribe what I was given as a child.  Librax.  It's prescribed for 1 pill twice a day.  I only have to take it for about 2 days.......then stay on a potato, cream of wheat,  pudding diet for a day or 2.  I have no idea what brings these on, but my last one was in 2007.  The Librax works.  I know it has a mild tranquilizer in it so that your stomach slows down the acid, but not sure what else.  And, I do tolerate the generic well.  If your son takes it, he's sleeping while he's on it may be fitful and some dreaming, but for me for 2 days, I can take it.........  I hope it works for him and good luck to you........If possible, please let me know at ***@****
A related discussion, I will provide you help. was started.
I'm a 23 year old female living in England, UK. For nearly a year now I have been getting severe stomach cramps and vomiting violently.I also quite often have nausea and have days that I just don't feel my healthy self.Sometimes the pain has been so bad I have had tears in my eyes, and once I vomitted for 2 hours non stop. I have been to the hospital twice, the doctors didn't see there was a problem. Until just a couple of days ago severe stomach cramps woke me up from my sleep, the cramps were so bad they almost crippled me, however I wasn't vomiting. I went to my local doctor that morning and he said he thinks the cramps are caused by my large intestine going in and out of spasm, however he said he doesn't know why. He has referred me for further checks at a hospital, I really hope they find out what's causing this as its exhausting me and I'm so frustrated with not feeling well all the time.also I have had to take days off work which is embarreasing as no one understands if you say you have bad 'stomach cramps' one more thing, I suffer from anxiety and the doctor did say that the more stressed you are the more likely it is that your stress will contribute to your 'illness' thanks  
A related discussion, Is there any treatment for severe bowel spasms was started.
A related discussion, Want to figure out the reason. was started.