Stomach trouble
I'm a 27-year-old female. Last February I came down with a stomach virus and it took me a while to get back to normal eating. Then in about June I had some events come up that made me anxious and I developed diarrhea and a constant feeling of nausea and major intestinal discomfort. It made me incredibly ill and I thought that I had a stomach bug. I went to the doctor and was given chlordiazepoxide and the doctor only did a blood and urine test. She said nothing showed up there and that it was probably just anxiety and I should talk to someone about it. well, this keeps happening...even when I have no reason to feel anxious. I have a hard time eating because it makes me have hot flashes and terrible stomach pains that feel like gas but nothing happens. Accompanying this is this feeling like my hands are shaking but they aren't. It's almost like a feeling of low blood sugar but even after I eat it's still there. Any idea what this might be? I have always had a problem with constipation and then I was fairly regular after the stomach bug and then when the first round of this hit I have had constipation or the extreme of diarrhea. Any idea what this might be?
Read this:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/beginners_guide/beginners.htm

After reading your post,I feel that you may be having irritable bowel syndrome.It is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder of unknown cause. Common symptoms include abdominal cramping or pain, bloating and gassiness, and altered bowel habits(alternate constipation and loose stools).

Majority of IBS patients have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Another 20% have depression, and the rest have other disorders.

Irritable bowel syndrome can be a very difficult diagnosis to make. IBS is called a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that a doctor considers many other alternatives first, perhaps performing tests to rule out other problems.

Treatment includes addition of more fiber in your diet,cessation of smoking and taking stress,antispasmodic medicines,antidiarrheal medicines,antidepressants and new medicines like Alosetron (Lotronex) and Tegaserod (Zelnorm).

I sincerely advise you to consult a gastroenterologist and discuss this with him.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.

What types of tests would a gastroenterologist perform? I know I should go see one but I am honestly afraid of what will happen. I like to be prepared before I go to the doctor. Thank you for your posting!

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Unfortunately, there is no specific laboratory or imaging test which can be performed to diagnose irritable bowel syndrome. Diagnosis of IBS involves excluding conditions which produce IBS-like symptoms. These tests may include stool sample testing, blood tests, and x rays. Typically, a doctor will perform a sigmoidoscopy, or colonoscopy, which allows the doctor to look inside the colon.

Hope this helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.