Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Strange Odor/Smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Strange Odor/Smell

I was wondering if someone could please help me with a problem that is slowly ruining my life.

I wash/bath/shower twice daily and I'd class myself as a very clean person, if I go out I make sure I smell nice and don't do anything different to anyone else.  The problem is even if I shower etc, use simple soaps/anything, my body lets out a horrible odor withing an hour, unfortunately by this time I am out with friends, sometimes meals, sitting down etc and I become so self conscious that people can smell it, as they start sniffing and people look around like someones let out a dead cat.  I NEVER had this problem before, I'd say it's been the last 4 or 5 months? I'm not sure whats changed but something definitely isnt right, I'm afraid to see my doctor face to face incase he looks at me like I'm going mad. I haven't got the most helpful local GP, he is also really hard to talk to.

It's made me so depressed, I don't want it to ruin my life but at the rate things are going thats exactly what it's going to do.  It's not just my social life, work etc is also being affected,

The smell the odor omits I would class as foul, it's definitely not pleasant put it that way, and I can't even really locate where it's coming from either!

No comments about washing better etc please, I don't need being disrespected, as mentioned before I'm very clean and wash/shower twice daily

I just really hope someone can help me :(

Thanks in advance

This discussion is related to frequent bowel movements.
What specifically does it smell like - is there a specific odor you could point to?

You mentioned dead cat - is there a smell of death?   I googled "body odor smells like dead animal" and the answer from some appears to be a liver or other metabolic malfunction.

I think your doc should be able to help with this -
I'd say talk to your doctor. I highly doubt they'll think of you different from any other patient. They are there to help you. I sincerely hope all goes well.
You most likely have BV (bacterial vaginosis) or a yeast infection. Definitely go to your doctor, because I've had the same exact symptoms as you for the last 8 months and just yesterday saw my doctor and was diagnosed with BV and an external yeast infection. It's not sexually transmitted and is VERY common.

Express your concerns to your doctor and he/she will take a quick swab inside you and you'll know within a couple hours if something is wrong. If you don't get it treated it could lead to much worse things like PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). I am on antibiotics for the BV and have a special cream for the yeast infection.

You shouldn't have to suffer any longer. GO SEE YOUR DOC! :)
Also, DO NOT use any soap or feminine wipes/washes on your vaginal area. This can disrupt the normal bacteria even more and cause more infections/problems. Until you get everything looked at, don't use scented soaps, tampon, etc. Be sure to also wear cotton breathable panties.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Do you sweat more than others? Increased sweating due to any cause can also cause unpleasant body odor because microorganism in your body can break sweat into aromatic fatty acids which smell bad. All causes of hyperhydrosis like hyperthyroidism, diabetes, carcinoid syndromes infections etc should be eliminated.
Vinegar like smell in sweat is due to an acid called propionic acid. Since this acid is chemically similar to acetic acid in vinegar, the sweat smells of vinegar. This happens due to excess amino acids in sweat (which are breakdown products of protein), seen common with a high protein diet. Also if the diet is rich in cheese, then bacteria of staphylococcus type acts on the sweat and causes this smell of vinegar. Hence to avoid this smell you would need to carefully look at diet and lower the protein and cheese content in it.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!