Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Strange Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Strange Symptoms

Hello, maybe someone can help me shed some light on this.

Since last Thursday, I have been feeling really horrible. Very tired; very bogged down, feeling like I am moving slow; kind of weak-feeling, forgetful, and off balanced; off and on heart palpitations; shaky feeling, mostly in the legs. Also, when I bend forward or squat down, the back of my legs burn. My blood pressure was high, about 162/99, with a pulse of about 45, this morning when I took it, but I took it again just to double check, and it was back down to 122/70 something, with 72 pulse. I got my sister (she is an RN) to take it a little while ago and it was still around 122/70 something.

My period came on the day after these symptoms started and is still here, so I don't know if that is why I feel so horrible. I do generally have a lot of trouble before and during my period, but usually it's mostly emotional and mental symptoms; I have never experienced anything quite like this with it. I have General Anxiety Disorder, but I had been feeling relatively calm when these symptoms came on and thanks to anxiety, I keep thinking the worse with this, like it could be meningococcemia or something. So could it just be my period and hormones or could it possible be something else? Thanks.
I also have been feeling slightly out of breath. Not necessary short of breath, but just kind of....it's hard to describe.

How are you?

Going by your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from pre menstrual syndrome. Premenstrual syndrome is the name of a group of physical and emotional symptoms that start 7 to 14 days before your menstrual period begins. The symptoms usually resolve within a few days after bleeding starts.

You can control it by lifestyle adjustment. Drink plenty of fluids, eat frequent small meals, fresh fruits and vegetables, cut down on caffeine and eat Calcium rich foods include dairy products, dark green vegetables, nuts, grains, beans and canned salmon and sardines (with bones). Calcium and iron supplements may also be used.

You can take OTC pain killers like ibuprofen for the burning pain in legs.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

I used to have the exact same symptoms with my period (thank God I don't have that problem anymore!).  I would bleed so heavily that I became very anemic.  Is your flow heavy as well? If it is, you may want your doc to check for anemia.  This could make you feel all those symptoms you have including the breathlessness.  I would feel VERY breathless when I was anemic, it's actually one of the symptoms of anemia.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Oh, and my blood pressure was as high as yours as well during my period!
Thanks for both replying.

Kindd- the symptoms I usually experience do start before my period comes on, but they also continue the whole 5 or 6 days it's here and usually anywhere from a couple days to a week after. But like I said, usually it's more emotional symptoms. I already have clinical depression, anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorder and when it comes time for my period, everything exacerbates, and including uncontrollable sobbing, irritability, guilt, severe fatigue and mind fog, suicidal feelings, flying off the handle. I also get searing cramps, hot flashes, and swelling. I am a nightmare before and during it. This started last year.

mags59- I did consider that, but unfortunately, it is not very heavy. In fact, it seems like since I started getting really bad symptoms, it has lightened up because when I was younger, it used to be really heavy but I hardly had any PMS symptoms. I don't know if maybe any hormones are at abnormal levels or anything and unfortunately, I can't do anything about finding out until I get health insurance again.

Since my period is still here, I am going to wait a couple more days and see how I feel then and I will let you both know how I am feeling by then. Thank you both for your concern and help!

-Nikki
Update- most of the symptoms disappeared come Christmas night, when I was pretty much done my period, so they must have obviously been due to that. Now I just have a sore throat and stuffed up nose and ears from allergies. >:(