Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Strange Tongue Swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Strange Tongue Swelling

This morning I awoke when a sore and swollen tongue.  It looked a little whitish, but not like thrush.  The edges of my tongue felt bumpy (not tiny little spots, just an irregular surface).  I had a difficult time eating breakfast due to the soreness.  I took an antihistamine, but I don't know if it helped or not.  I also have some mild tenderness & swelling just under the left side of my chin; however, it is more noticeable to the touch rather than by observation.  My lips (which stay chapped) feel a little tender as well.  Although I've been able to eat, the food feels strange in my mouth.  It's been over 14hrs and I have seen only mild improvement from when I first got up this morning.  I take supplemental vitamin B (3 different ones in 1 pill), calcium & vitamin D, and a multivitamin.
It could be infection or allergic reaction, best to go to the doctor right away, maybe the E.R. actually!
I went to a clinic, but all they said was that I had thrush.  I'm not so certain, but my tongue seemed well by Thursday (started on Sunday).  Thanks.
Did you eat anything highly acidic; like a lot of sour candy. It sounds like a chemical burn; which if that is the case the top few layer of tissue will slough off in a few days and the pain should be gone in a bit over a week.