Strange feeling of heat in my leg
For the last few days I've been getting a very strange sensation in my right leg, between the back of my knee and the top of my calf. It's a feeling of heat which lasts for a few seconds.  This happens about 2 or 3 times an hour. It's not painful, it just feels weird. My leg is not hot to the touch, it's a kind of internal heat (quite hard to describe!). I have a desk-based job but I do get up and move around regularly. Also a couple of times in the last few days I've had a kind of breathless feeling and can feel my heart beating very quickly. This also lasts just a couple of seconds. I don't know if the 2 things are related.  Can anyone shed any light on this please!
The majority of the posts with this heat radiating seem to be with thigh, knee, calf, ankle and/or feet that lasts a few seconds and leaves.  
For the past several months, I frequently awake in the night with a heat radiating in my mid to lower back just slightly left of centre.  There is no pain, no sweating, no apparent other symptoms ... just a small hockey puck size area of heat radiating from that area.  It can last up to half an hour and then dissipates, may recur in the same night or not again until the following night of a few nights later.  It occasionally occurs in the late evening when I'm relaxing on the couch as well but never seems to occur during the daytime. Sometimes several days between occurences.  
Some nights when this doesn't occur I wake up soaking wet with sweat as if a fever just broke yet I have/had no fever. I am post menopausal for over 10 years now and certainly know the difference between a hot flash and either of the above symptoms. Not at all the same.
Am going to the chiropractor later this week and am going to ask him about possible causes.  Some of the early posts mentioned a relation to nerves which often are related to and/or affected by skeletal alignment. Hormonal imbalance was another interesting possibility as was Kidney infection especially since the location of mine is almost directly above the left kidney. Will be making a Dr. appt. after seeing the chiropractor and will post their responses.
So, has anyone actually received a medical explanation for this occurance?  I am 25 yr female, having right lower leg warm sensation that travels down my shin area to my ankle and foot.  Usually lasts about 5-6 seconds.  It feels nice, no pain.  I travel all the time, flying weekly.  I also have varicose veins, just small vein reticular, and have been treated for it. It happends sometimes while sitting or standing at random times.  The only think I can think of is that this is some symptomatic for varicose veins, that would make sense to me, but I am no doctor.
I started having the hot flash at 6:30 this morning in my left calf.  It lasts for two seconds and comes every 30 minutes or so.  This has never happened to me in my life and I am 37.  I had an Endoscopy (scope down throat for heartburn issues) yesterday and I was put under general anesthetic. I had no problems whatsoever. When the doctor's office that performed the procedure called around 9:30 this morning to follow up, I mentioned the hot flash.  They said they would call my G.I. to let them know.  I received a call from my G.I.'s nurse within five minutes and she asked that I come into the office immediately.  Long story short...I went, he saw me and couldn't tell me what it was.  I asked about a blood clot, but he said since I had zero pain that it couldn't be a clot.  He asked if I worked out which I said yes and he went on how it could be from that.  Well, I have been working out for 20 years and this has never happened.  I feel it has something to do with the procedure yesterday, but I am not 100% sure.  I called my primary care physician to get his opinion, but have not heard back from him yet and it is 6:30 p.m.  If the hot flash continues tonight, I am going to call back tomorrow.  I am wondering if an ultra sound might show something????  I don't know.  I just know, like everyone else, it's so weird.  
This is sooo strange, the exact same sensation has been happening to me for the last couple of days! It's on my right leg on the thigh part just above the knee on the underside. Once again, no pain, no heat on the surface it just feels internal and comes and goes and doesn't last long each time. So glad I found this page!
hello Lady life ; I have been having the same heat sensation in my right calf.....do you know something about it .....me  like you don't have any insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor at the moment .......do you know something about this weird condition????
If you can share something if you know something I will appreciate the info.
thanks and God bless you.........Hope is nothing serious.
take care
(I'm scare)
Strangely, I googled this today as for the last two weeks I have a heat sensation in my right calf muscle. Like others, I look down to see if something near me is radiating heat. Nothing. Then I touch it, no heat? Not sure what it is. I see my doctor for a check up next week, will ask about it.  Crazy, I know how you all feel...from my non-expert opinion, possibly a nerve issue.

Same story here. Started a few days ago, warm sensation, not painful, lasts a few minutes, upper left thigh. I'm male, 68, in good health.  Very strange!
Same thing here.  Started about 2 weeks ago on my right outer calf.   I am 41 and in good health.  I recently started that "Insanity" workout about 5 weeks ago. It's a very intense cardio and plyometric workout.  I'm wondering if it's related to lactic acid build up in my leg. I am right footed.
I too have had strange heat feelings on my thigh, as though warm liquid was spilt on me.  I recently stopped taking my birth control pills - could it be related to the rebalancing of hormones going on in my body?
I'm 25, not overweight but could do with doing more exercise.
Dr. Oz spoke of this the other day on TV. Ironically I have this same issue.
Check out Dr. Oz's website for info.
I too have heat sensation in my leg from upper thigh to my calf. However I have pinched nerve.

Internal medicine doctor did all the blood test including thyroid test, B12 level, sugar, cholesterol etc and prescribed me muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory but I did not fill the medicine. I don’t feel I need the medicine after speaking to neurologist.

My neurologist did MRI and EMG found out there is minor pinched nerve and advised to continue physical therapy with my chiropractor who referred me to neurologist.

My chiropractor advised the same in regards to therapy and said no medication is needed since I have no pain.

I am concerned because all three doctors did not provide a clear answer why this heat sensation I m feeling 24/7 for last 4 weeks and what is the straight forward treatment to it.

Same with me - a warm heat in the laft outter calf, not change in surface temp...  last night when it happened the first time I was standing cooking at the stove, and I had to check if the oven was left on high, the warmth was so pronounced... and just in the last 30 minutes it is back while I was sitting in the car and again sitting at the computer its comes and goes in waves ... I am being treated for thyroidsis and I need a dose reduction as I was hypo thyroid and am now hyperthyroid....  I seem to have both Graves and Hashimotos. up down from hyper with the hot flushes, anxiety and heart palps, through to hypo with the cold, brain fog and sluggishness.
I prefer the hyper to the hypo lol
I have been having the same feeling in my right  leg back mid thigh. I work 12 hr shifts and that's when mine sets in. Only happens 2x week and once when I was sitting. Weird really.
I too have this heat sensation. Mine is on the back of my left leg, calf and thigh.  It feels like some of you have described, warm water on my leg, sunlight on my leg, etc.

I do have Diabetes type II, diagnosed about two years ago and back problems from a motorcycle accident, over ten years ago, and have slight pains in my toes and feet.

I too sit at a computer for 12 hour shifts.

I am 45 years old, 6' and 200 lbs, give or take a couple pounds.

I am not on any medications for the diabetes, as I can control it with diet (but I have been lax of late).

I do see a chiropractor for the back pain which provides me with relief most of the time.  There are rare occasions when I feel the adjustment creates a pain but mostly, it helps.  It is also through my Chiro that I had the best diet relief for my diabetes and that was while on the UltraLite program.  

The heat down my leg started about a week ago and honestly, I was quite freaked out.  I've had and still have, times when I feel kind of a numbness or soreness down my left arm and that symptom really got me looking into heart disease and heart attack info.

I feel that I definitely need to get back on the diet program and add exercise to it.

I will update as I progress....
Question to all of you.Have any of you been taking statin meds like zocor etc?  I started zocor and loestrin wich is birth control ( Dr. prescribed to control ovarian cysts) I had only been taking both of these for less than a week and sudenly started getting the strange intense warm sensation on side of right calf.  A couple days later is has spread to back of thigh also.  Last about 5-10 seconds.  Also it feels like any pressure at all on the back of thigh like when sitting causes a strange numbness and not pain but soreness down the back of my thigh into back of calf. I called the Dr. office they said stop both meds that statin drugs are known to cause muscle issues in leg but that the warm sensation sounds unusual but the zocor could still be a possibilty.  I havent taken either med for five days and still having the warm surges through leg, mostly in the right calf where it stared. Like everyone else not hot to touch and no swelling or lumps. Ankle feels slightly sore sometimes. I am calling the Dr on Mon to let them know I am still having symptoms and will post outcome.  It is indeed a frightening sensation.  I am 35 and a mother of two and it has me scared to death
Is not seeing a doctor a male thing?  After reading all these post with almost every stating relief that others have heat in their legs, few posters are offering any real insight that can be gained from speaking to a doctor or doing some basic research.  Everyone can Google male menopause or hot flashes in legs.  The most frequent explanations are food issues like consuming MSG, testosterone or other hormone decline, or a neurological issue.  You can rule out food by tracking your diet for a few days to rule out food concerns and discuss hormonal deficiencies and neurological issues with your doctor.  The worst case for this unexpected condition is an undiagnosed tumor affecting your organs and nervous system.  Older men are more susceptible to hormone changes.  I'm a 62 year old who is extraordinarily healthy but plan to talk to the many doctors I know. Good luck everyone.
I do have the same sensation of heat on the back of my right tigh, after discussing it with my doctor he told me is because i spend 8-12 hours sitting at work,and the nerve on my leg was getting extra pressure,  he recommended me to change my chair and try to get up and walk a little every 20 min or so.I hope this will work. Other than that I have no health problems or nor Im taking any meds
Recently my legs been getting hot underneath the skin in my left calf, it's really weird and happens as often as every half an hour. I'm only 14, but I thought I'd search it because I'm paranoid, and I was just wondering who it might be, it's only been happening for about a week and I've never felt it before but it's always in the exact same spot
Thank you....the only answer in the thread!
Am having little small hot feeling in my two legs foot and i don't no maybe it much walking,any one with this experience .  
Mine started 4 days ago, sitting on a very cold porch, and all of a sudden, a heater went on by the outside of my right ankle, lasted a few seconds, happened every couple of minutes. Now its starting in my upper thigh and racing down the outside of my leg.  My thigh seems to be numb when it happens and I am having some restlessness in the same leg, but that could be because I'm aware of it and I have been a little worried about what is causing it. Nerve issue was my second thought, and as with others blood clot my first, and I am glad to read that its not a blood clot. I'm coming on 50, overweight and a light smoker, so lots to worry about there. New year, new life! I am going to chat with my doc about it, but since I can't seem to find anything but this chat session about this issue, I think I will stop worrying about it for now. Thanks everyone!
It is so creepy to me, under my left leg has been having this same heat sensation which occurs every hour. Any advise, I hate going to the docs..
My hot, flush "wave" as I would probably describe it, seemed to begin about a month ago which coincided with a reduction in my prednisone meds.  In my left thigh, in exactly the same sport when it comes, last only a few seconds, but it is strong enough that you couldn't miss it.  No pain or discomfort, I don't think the skin is hot to the touch, so my observations are very consistent with those in this thread.

Going to the doctor for my yearly checkup, if I hear anything of substance, i will report back.

Nick,
As with all others, I have a similar situation.
I cannot believe that medication is involved but might be contributory. I take NO medications at all at 71 and have had this condition for about three years.

I also have an appt to look into this, in part, & will get back to compare my thing with your thing in 10 days or so. Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to get a dull stare & shrug of the shoulders?
You have come up with as agood an explanation as anyone else.
Next time you meet with those beings, let them know that their experiment works & it's time for another with new subjects. You in particular. :)
i have the same feeling in my upper right  calf , just below the knee. It does not radiate to the ankle. the area is not red, swollen or painful. It just started out of nowhere and I'd say about every hour or so I get the sensation. No pain, just an odd feeling of warmth. So you say the doctors found nothing wrong. I am amazed. hmm!
I have this warm sensation in my right leg. its good too see iam not alone. iam trying to fine out whats going on with my leg. iam not in pain but I know that's not what should be going on with my leg.i do not like the feeling.
Thank you for this info.  I have been having a warm sensation go down the outside of my left thigh.  On and off.  I do have hypothyroidism and take meds. My numbers are always fine.  I am pre-diabetic but stay away from sugar. My numbers have been fine.  Should I get this checked?  Could it be a clot?
Margaret
I also have the heat in my front thigh, sometimes on both legs , mostly in bed  at night and warm to touch,, but rest of body is normal or cold/cool.
I don't drive, I don't have diabeties, my levels are normal,
I do however have bad circulation, particularly in my left leg, although with raynaurds this is common for all extremities, but seems worse with my left side for some reason,  but I also have bad veins. and some muscular problems due to an injury, and sometimes the heart flutters,
I think its bad circulation and inflammation related in my case, I don't know if this is of help to anyone else
I had this a few years ago in my left calf area and I went to the doctor and he sent me out for an ultra sound to rule out a clot.  No clot.  It went away for a few years but it's come back.  When it started again it was in the same place, left calf area.  However, in the last month it has moved to my upper leg, left hamstring area.  It is completely strange.  It feels like I am literally peeing myself with a rush of warm water on my leg.  It lasts for less than 2 seconds.  I am sitting at my desk now and it is coming on every 15 - 30 seconds.  But it happens when I'm standing and walking also, just not as frequent as when I'm sitting.  My doctor said it is a nerve issue brought on my years of skiing, rugby and football.
I'm very interested in your comment about this.  Can you direct me as to How to harness the energy?
I too have this 'hot patch' on my left calf. I've also recently had my anxiety come back with aveangeance and so always thinking the worst. After reading these posts I'm wondering if its the anxiety? I take 100 mg sertraline now. And janumet tablets for diabetes type II with reasonable control. Any new ideas?
Recently I have had the warming sensation on my right leg lower quadrant outside mid shin area, prior to that I have had numbness n the bottom of my foot. I was working on a crawl space about 2 months ago , turned and felt a pain in my middle back near the spine right side.
1. Pinched nerve in back,
2. Numbness of feet,
3. Now warming and occasional itch right leg shin muscle area.
The middle back pain lasted for 3weeks after that subsided I felt the numbing
I just get tired of going to "Doc in the box" and hearing I should go see a specialist only to be told nothing can be done its the aging process at 47 I figure some of that to be true but, not these specific issues.
I did buy new boots and that has helped a bit with the numbing in feet but the warming sensation is a little bit disconcerting. As well as the whole body itch at times, although probably just dry skin and not enough water.
I to also had this on my right leg but i was in alot of pain  it was about a few inchs below my knee. a few months ago my doctor thought it was a blood clot so he did an ultrasound only nothing showed up now there is a hot sensation feeling..... :(
Stumbled over this blog when trying to find out what was going on with me.  In June of this year I had massive blood clotting in my right leg and pulmonary emboli (many blood clots in all lobes of lungs).  Am suppose to be dead.  I am on an anticoagulant.  Right after I started getting hot flashes all over my body, off and on, no pain. It has gone and now I get hot flashes in my left mid thigh, that lasts a few seconds and comes and goes.  I did notice tonight for the first time sitting with my legs elevated that there was some light pain in the same area.  It scared me thinking this was more clotting, Dr. said I could not tolerate another episode.  I am diabetic, just put on fish oil and high blood pressure meds.  After reading the comments I think mine is due to a pinched nerve.  It was just a coincidence that it started after the blood clots and PE.  I agree now I don't think it is something serious.  When I had the episode, I had strong pain from ankle to groin, and stopped right away, noticed funny bruise under knee, went to church and had strong shortness of breathe and fluttering in heart.  Had 2 non blocking clots in thigh and from just above knee to all the way to ankle everything was completely blocked.  Also one broke loose from somewhere else and went to lungs.  I am glad that I'm not alone with this funny feeling but like I said I think it is a nerve being irritated.  Will check with doctor.  Had lots of tests and nothing has shown up so good luck everyone.
I have been having a hot flash on the outside of my left calf over the last few days. Always in the same place. No pain or visible marks just the 5 to 10 sec sensation.
I had same sensation warm feeling on shin left leg some times on calf .I went to dr he checked me out and said it wasn't a clot as it would have pain and be more constant not come and go. Then checked my pulse and circulation said it was good if it were a circulation probl.the my pulse would be weak or not at all and foot would be cold .i asked him about nerve he said doubtful because of no pain. Said everything serious was ruled out could be a minor injury minor nerve being agitated  not to worry about it.it should go away. But to return if any pain swelling etc... Otherwise it was nothing serious. Hope this helps some of you.if you are concerned go to dr just to rule out anything serious and to have peace of mind.
I have this too.. upper thigh and radiating from uterus. Gave birth 6 weeks ago with an epidural. Feel it especially when sitting and bending forwards, i don't take any meds but am overweight, wearing new shoes and sleeping in awkward positions so think its nerve related. Will ask dr soon, as may still be at risk for clots but no pain..
thankyou for the information everyone, I tend to agree with the comment from "some answers" about stress hormones . I have been having this feeling of hot wet like feelings on and off for about 1 year. I do get it when I'm more stressed and when I think about it , I can actually make it happen. I have been to doctors and chiropractors with not help.  
Once again, a typical 'vague' reply from a doctor, why reply at all?! I haven't been to a doctor in 28 yrs and this is why...they take all kinds of tests and still come up with nothing, so 'thanks' for nothing.
My experiences with this sensation are that it feels like someone pours warm water over my thigh. Not hot and there is no pain. Just feels so real that I brush my trousers to wipe away the "water". Travels about 4 inches down front of middle thigh. Standing or sitting it occurs with no pattern. Only started over the past week.
I too have this feeling. I had pain for a few months and had that checked but now that the pain is one I am getting this weird warm sensation on the back right hand side of my left calf. It's like someone is touching me with a heat pad. It only lasts like 30 seconds and is only warm on the inside not to the touch on the outside. I have also been experiencing the heart palpitations
A related discussion, heat sensation in back of lower leg was started.
A related discussion, Unexplained heat in upper left leg was started.
God I wish I knew what was causing this. down both the back of both my thighs is a constant permanent internal heat feeling. like sunburn but without the sting. prior to this I had a really sharp agony pain near the top of my left buttock. I wish it would stop. I'm so scared I've done permanent nerve damage. This internal heat feeling won't go away its really frightening me. what if its forever I'm only 25
Wow this thread is long and has been going a long time. I'm experiencing the same thing. It started just on the outside of my right ankle but now seems to be from my mid-thigh down to my toes and right now it's constant. It feels like I'm sitting too close to a fire or have hot water on it but, like everyone else, it's cool to the touch and not painful. I have a doctors appointment in 2 days but I'm not expecting them to be able to tell me anything there and then. I am flying in 13 days so hoping that there's nothing serious that will prevent me from doing that.

FYI, I'm 43, single mother, with a mostly sedentary job and very overweight. I will mention diabetes to my doctor as my dad has it (although late onset) and my weight my contribute to that.
update: I saw the doctor today and he's ruled out a trapped nerve and dvt so now I have to have blood tests but not having those for a couple of weeks.
I also started getting this not too long ago I think its related to anxiety
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.