Strange mouth taste
I get a metallic taste in my mouth, seems to only be on my tongue, maybe cause that's where taste comes from...It seems to happen about a week prior to my period and during my period.  It use to be an all the time thing after having my second baby.  It has just in say the last year or 2 only been before and during period.  After my first baby, when it happened all the time I was worried and saw my doc, several times....she ran blood tests and what ever else they tested for, she said all the tests were fine and nothing was wrong with me...she never gave me an answer on what was going on, this was 5 yrs ago.   What could be going on?  Is this a normal thing for some women near period time...  Thanks.
A metallic taste in your mouth is a sign of a CSF leak - the fluid that surrounds your spinal cord.  It is strange that it is during your period - did you have a c-section? It could be a small leak or it could be an effect of endometriosis because of the relation to your period? I would say defiantly the CSF leak, but the period relation confuses me. Do you have headaches or dizziness? I would see a neurologist, a spinal tap can measure the pressure of the CSF to see if it is low.  Good Luck : )    
I natural birthed both kids.  I get head aches due to a car accident 8 yrs ago.  
I have no idea what CSF leak is so off to google.
Ok, I read about it, now I wonder, 2 yrs ago, I had a CT scan, due to bad headaches.  Everything was good, would this have been something they would have noticed if I had this, or something they would have to look for?
They probably couldn't tell from a CT scan, but a car accident could defiantly cause this type of issue.  I would get checked out soon as this can be dangerous.  However because it has been ailing you for a while if there is a leak it is small.  Talk to your doctor about a spinal tap and be sure to mention both the metallic taste and the headaches.  I hope this helped - best of luck!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There are many reasons for a foul taste in mouth such as medications, infection of gums or cavities in teeth, post nasal drip as in sinusitis, salivary glands infection, pharyngitis or strep infection, dentures and artificial tooth or filling of dental cavities, Sjogren’s syndrome and copper or lead toxicity, poor oral hygiene, diabetes, liver problems, vitamin B12 deficiency, and over consumption of fluoride which is commonly present in certain mouthwashes and toothpastes , certain vitamins (Tri-Vi-Flor, Poly-Vi-Flor, Vi-Daylin F) , fluoridated water & sodium fluoride liquid and tablets.
GERD and heart burn too cause metallic taste in mouth. Since it became more prominent after child birth, GERD or gastric reflux and Vit B12 deficiency should be considered first. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. See if it helps.
OK here are a few other tips for you. Try them. They should help. Have citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They help in washing away the metallic taste by producing more saliva. Brush your teeth and your tongue with a tongue cleaner at least twice in a day and surely at bedtime. It will help in lessening the metallic taste. Vit C tablets, over the counter oral mouthwashes will help fight the taste. Increase fibers in the diet. Eat fresh things like apples that are crunchy or rough things like popcorn scrapes the white debris off the tongue.
I can understand your frustration as you are not able to reach a diagnosis. Discuss these possibilities with your doctor. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Take care!