Sudden, intense heel pain
Hello all.  I tried posting this in another forum on this website, but I figured I'd try here as well.  I am an otherwise healthy, (formerly) active 29-year old male.  About three months ago I began experiencing severe, random pain at the top of my heel in my right foot. No discernible triggers. The first time it occurred I was sitting on a friend's porch, and since then it has happened when I was walking, sitting, lying down, and has even woken me screaming from a dead sleep on occasion. When it happens the pain is anywhere from a 6 to a 10, lasting from 1-15 seconds. It comes on instantly and recedes about as quickly (sometimes there's a bit of lingering ache). Typically it will happen at least a few times a day (some days as many as a dozen times), and is debilitating when it does. Lately there has also been a consistent dull ache for small stretches.

I've seen several doctors and specialists, and they're all fairly baffled.  A month in PT made no noticeable difference in the frequency or severity of the episodes, and X-rays, MRI, EMG, and bloodwork (not sure what tests were ran) all came back normal.  I was actually told I have a "very healthy looking foot".  The only thing that has helped is a Lidoderm patch, which seems to dull the pain to the point where I don't have to fight the urge to scream when it goes off, but it's still very uncomfortable and it seems to be less effective as I continue to use it (whether the patch is left effective or the pain is getting more intense, I don't know).

Possibly unrelated, but I had a period of shortness of breath this morning for about an hour. I and my doctors are so far at a loss.  Any ideas?
I have had surgery on both of my feet. I have a question. when you are resting and then stand on your feet do you have really bad pain?
Not at all.  It seems like my only symptoms are the intense, sporadic pains I described above, and those happen seemingly at random.  Otherwise the foot seems like it's perfectly healthy.
Wow, that happened to me this morning, how bizzare!.  Was just sitting in the elevated lazy boy watching TV and was hit with this sudden, INTENSE pain at the bottom of my heel, like someone was pounding a nail into it.  No injury, nothing, out of nowhere, never had it before.  I think it might be planter fasciitus which apparently comes from nowhere, and I pray it is not.  Maybe you can suggest this to your doc.  Mine is still quite tender an hour later with intermittent stabbing pain.  Really weird!  As far as your shortness of breath, could be anxiety, especially since you are anticipating another painful attack.