Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sudden Chest pain, dizziness, loss of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am currently 47 yrs old, when I was 36 I was hospitalized for chest pains, dizziness and loss of breath. I had MRI, EKG's, blood work up and many other test done. The military could not tell me exactly what was going on with me. I have been having these sudden pains in my chest one - four times per month. They only last about 30 seconds. I need to sit, grab something to keep from falling.

During the first one at age 36 my left hand felt huge and started to tingle and then my leg went numb. Then it was like someone stabbed me in the chest. I also had what I think was an out of body. I saw myself and told myself to keep driving that I was going to be alright. When I arrived home my wife ask what was wrong with my left side of my face. It was druppy and my speach was slurred.

After nine days at Fort Lewis the doctors had no idea what had happened. I still suffer from these same pains and have learned to just live with them. I was told that it may have been a T.I.A. or possibly panic attacks. I just want to know what is wrong with me. Help!

Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well the attack you described at the age of 36 could have been a TIA or a panic attack.
There is a strong possibility it is costochondritis (inflammation of the joint between rib and sternum. The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Pleuritis is another possibility causing shortness of breath with chest pain. But since you do not have a history of cough, cold and fever, the chances are less. If you have a suggestive history then this needs to be further investigated by a chest specialist. Pulmonary embolism is another possibility causing shortness of breath with chest pain. A CT scan of the chest can rule out both.
Chances are that you have esophageal reflux (GERD), where the food in your stomach is thrown up into your food pipe or esophagus. This also causes burning sensation or discomfort in the chest area. Another possibility is hiatal hernia, where a portion of stomach herniates into the chest cavity through the diaphragm. This along with chest discomfort cause shortness of breath too.

It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

i have gone to the doctors today as i have been suffering from a sore throat and finding it harder to breath than normal. but have been feeling dizy for a bout a month the doctors said it is a virus. can it be something more serious.